PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty getting the handling dialed in

The Wookiee
05-04-2017, 12:18
Coming from 'casual' race games, it will take some time to adjust to how car behaviour is modelled in pCARS.
That's what I was saying though, I wouldn't have called Forza Motorsport a particularly "casual" racer, (especially Forza 2, that game was punishing!) I find the karts in this handle how I expect them to, but in a normal car, no matter how easy I go on the accelerator and brakes, I spend more time in the gravel than on the tarmac! I'll get there eventually!

hkraft300
05-04-2017, 14:14
What do you mean by "all the other cars"?
Road cars are almost all too much power, not enough tyres and brakes.
I've spent many years in FM and gran turismo but pcars is on another level. Spent a good while getting cosy with the barriers :rolleyes:
I'd recommend the Formula Gulf, Formula C, GT4, group A cars whichever takes your fancy, to start. Remember to take it easy for a lap or 3 to let the tyres and brakes warm up.
Also a lot of the setups on the database could be tuned for wheel users. Oversteer is easier to catch with a wheel so the tunes may be a little loose for that.
You could also try TC (I personally prefer not to use abs or SC, purely for more "feel") or set assists to "real" (gameplay options) and the game will switch them on/off as per the real car.

The Wookiee
05-04-2017, 15:19
Yes, sorry. That was a bit vague. Because I've started off with the karts, my other races have been mainly been road cars. Not sure how many more kart races I've got though. I'm currently getting the hang of a GT BMW (which is almost handling the way I'm used to). TBH, I dont think I'll but another Turn10 game. I think I've found my life partner with Project Cars! :)

Konan
05-04-2017, 15:28
Moved to a New thread in order to keep the "welcome" thread (reasonably) clean...:cool:

hkraft300
05-04-2017, 22:17
TBH, I dont think I'll but another Turn10 game. I think I've found my life partner with Project Cars! :)

If you think this is good now, wait til you get a wheel :D
And check out the pc2 news in the relevant forum section.

The Wookiee
06-04-2017, 07:52
I used the setup guide by Supaaafly, and it seems to have done the trick, it handles really well now. Although I updated my controller firmware yesterday and nearly bricked it. It took 2 hours to sort it out, which meant I lost a lot of valuable driving time!

Zpectre87
09-04-2017, 06:51
GT BMW? Depends which one.

BMWs are good learner cars because they allow you to be in control. Contrary to a 911, in which you can easily become a passenger if you treat it carelessly, a BMW requires the driver to take a more active role, because it's usually neutral with a slight front weight bias.

According to SMS themselves, the BMW CSL "Schnitzer" in GT Legends required the driver to "manhandle" it, and it was spot on! Smooth hands would struggle with that car indeed. Endless understeer until the tires were hot, then it would hook to the tarmac like glue. That car was like Bowser in Super Mario Kart: heavy, powerful and favorable to drastic inputs. :D

I've found this to be the case even with the M1 Procar, except that the M1 is mid-engined so it requires more finesse, but is still different from a Porsche because it's mostly point-and-shoot with endless grip.

The Z4 and the M3 GT are probably a little different because they have so much grip that it's impossible to lose control.

A 911 in comparison is a rollercoaster. :D Even the modern ones. The Ruf RGT-8 street car is one of the best cars in the game if you like being on the verge of losing it all the time. It's also one of the strongest cars with a manual transmission (I think only the McLaren F1 is faster).

The reason I like this game and don't care much about its realism is that the car handling is, for the most part, believable. Most of the cars I've tried are consistent with cars I've driven in other sims.

The Wookiee
09-04-2017, 17:49
It was the M1 Procar I was referring to (my mistake). That was the first car I started winning races with, but now I'm getting the hang of plenty of others thanks to Supaaafly's setup guide (as I mentioned before). I'm now struggling with the Le Mans 24 hour races. Practice was rough, can't concentrate properly for the qualifying yet...

After racing with the Caterhams on Forza, I was expecting them to be psychotic, snappy, oversteering nightmares, but I actually love racing them in this. Stock tuning is ok, but with a half decent setup it's so much fun.

Still hate Bathurst...

FS7
09-04-2017, 23:26
Did you get permission from the boss for your username?

Zpectre87
10-04-2017, 02:44
It was the M1 Procar I was referring to (my mistake). That was the first car I started winning races with, but now I'm getting the hang of plenty of others thanks to Supaaafly's setup guide (as I mentioned before). I'm now struggling with the Le Mans 24 hour races. Practice was rough, can't concentrate properly for the qualifying yet...

After racing with the Caterhams on Forza, I was expecting them to be psychotic, snappy, oversteering nightmares, but I actually love racing them in this. Stock tuning is ok, but with a half decent setup it's so much fun.

Still hate Bathurst...

It's one of the best cars ever built and it was a sad thing that for various reasons it didn't fulfill its true potential (it arrived too late in the scene and BMW could never make forced induction work with their straight-6). A true classic.

Out of the box, it's a bit of a handful... Try to make it understeer a little bit. I generally tune for stability as I don't like very loose cars. The 911 is an exception but that car relies heavily on throttle modulation.

Bathurst is like Monte Carlo, some people simply know how to make the best out of those corridors from hell while others are clueless despite being fast elsewhere.

hkraft300
10-04-2017, 06:04
Reckon the M1 is great on default. Just a little damper tuning with Jussi's calculator really settles it over bumps, but otherwise it's a peach. Because the throttle response is so good and linear it's really easy to control :)

Ah Bathurst is one of those tracks no particular car makes it easy. Not the Caterham's, not LMP, not open wheel, not the GT3/4 cars and definitely not the V8SC.