PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 (April 2017)

belaki
14-04-2017, 14:35
My main workstation (and sim machine) received Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 night before last. At this time PCars 64 (11.2) will hang on launch if any UDP companion app (in my case PCars Profiler and Crew Chief) is running.

The nature of the application hang is such the application will launch, the screen will flash, and the desktop will reappear with a PCars icon in the taskbar. Additionally, normal start-up sounds will be heard, indicating PCars is in fact launching normally. However, neither clicking the icon nor alt-tabbing will not bring PCars to the foreground.

Closing the companion app(s) and killing the hung PCars 64 process in Task Manager will restore PCars to a normal state on next launch.

The condition exists if either one or both of the companion apps are running, and it occurs whether or the functionality of the respective companion app has been initiated (PCars Profiler "server start", Crew Chief "start application." In other words, the mere existence of a loaded but not started companion app will cause PCars 64 to hang on launch.

The only information in the event log is the notification from Task Manager that PCars was terminated.

I have verified all hardware drivers are current.

I suspect (rather obviously) the break is on Microsoft, as the Edge browser has gone to flashing on open (e.g. opens, then closes immediately). A few other anomalies lead me believe the issue is display driver related. For the record I run 3 monitors in Eyefinity using an AMD R7 370, driver 17.2.1, on a AMD FX-8350 processor and 32gb memory.

Troubleshooting steps so far:

- Rollback update - works, but MS will be happy to roll out again unless you take extraordinary measures.
- Verify drivers - No impact on issue
- Install/Reinstall companion apps - No impact on issue
- In PCars shut down shared memory - No impact
- In PCars shut down UDP - No impact
- Disable Eyefinity - PCars hangs, BUT closing a companion app on an adjacent screen and then clicking the PCars application icon on the task bar DOES restore PCars to the foreground.

Hmmmmm...

Enable Eyefinity, start Companion Apps *and servers*, minimize app windows, start PCars - PCars goes to minimized state, but clicking the icon RESTORES PCars to normal function.

So, there it is.

Obviously an issue has been created by the Windows update, but the above is a workaround.

Hope this helps someone.

dault3883
29-04-2017, 19:40
My main workstation (and sim machine) received Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 night before last. At this time PCars 64 (11.2) will hang on launch if any UDP companion app (in my case PCars Profiler and Crew Chief) is running.

The nature of the application hang is such the application will launch, the screen will flash, and the desktop will reappear with a PCars icon in the taskbar. Additionally, normal start-up sounds will be heard, indicating PCars is in fact launching normally. However, neither clicking the icon nor alt-tabbing will not bring PCars to the foreground.

Closing the companion app(s) and killing the hung PCars 64 process in Task Manager will restore PCars to a normal state on next launch.

The condition exists if either one or both of the companion apps are running, and it occurs whether or the functionality of the respective companion app has been initiated (PCars Profiler "server start", Crew Chief "start application." In other words, the mere existence of a loaded but not started companion app will cause PCars 64 to hang on launch.

The only information in the event log is the notification from Task Manager that PCars was terminated.

I have verified all hardware drivers are current.

I suspect (rather obviously) the break is on Microsoft, as the Edge browser has gone to flashing on open (e.g. opens, then closes immediately). A few other anomalies lead me believe the issue is display driver related. For the record I run 3 monitors in Eyefinity using an AMD R7 370, driver 17.2.1, on a AMD FX-8350 processor and 32gb memory.

Troubleshooting steps so far:

- Rollback update - works, but MS will be happy to roll out again unless you take extraordinary measures.
- Verify drivers - No impact on issue
- Install/Reinstall companion apps - No impact on issue
- In PCars shut down shared memory - No impact
- In PCars shut down UDP - No impact
- Disable Eyefinity - PCars hangs, BUT closing a companion app on an adjacent screen and then clicking the PCars application icon on the task bar DOES restore PCars to the foreground.

Hmmmmm...

Enable Eyefinity, start Companion Apps *and servers*, minimize app windows, start PCars - PCars goes to minimized state, but clicking the icon RESTORES PCars to normal function.

So, there it is.

Obviously an issue has been created by the Windows update, but the above is a workaround.

Hope this helps someone.

Windows creator app hasnt just created issues with these apps its created issues with the computers in general my computer is running slower now after the creator update than it was before. and this is with out Pcars running its much worse when it is. the creator update should of had optional updates. i had no problem with the old paint program, i never use microsoft edge as i prefer Firefox and Chrome. thats just my opinion though. they just did the update on me this week

https://superuser.com/questions/1200171/windows-10-creators-update-1703-very-low-performance-on-high-end-laptop

Visceral_Syn
29-04-2017, 20:14
Have you disabled the Base Filtering Engine and the Windows Firewall services, to see if the udp applications work ?

dault3883
29-04-2017, 20:22
Have you disabled the Base Filtering Engine and the Windows Firewall services, to see if the udp applications work ?

i use nortons always have so the firewall has never been used. Point is that windows screwed up everything with this update. Updates are supposed to make the system better not worst. this is a problem Windows needs to fix. none of my settings have changed. I know how my system ran before the update. Im on my laptop every day i know how it behaves. It behaved this way when they forced Windows 10 on me from 8.1. My comment was only assuring the person i quoted that he wasnt the only one with that exact problem.

Visceral_Syn
29-04-2017, 20:25
If you do not disabled the base filtering engine, and then windows firewall services, then the windows firewall service is on, it can and usually blocks all network connections. Microsoft makes windows how they want to, gamers configure windows how they need it....

dault3883
29-04-2017, 20:31
If you do not disabled the base filtering engine, and then windows firewall services, then the windows firewall service is on, it can and usually blocks all network connections. Microsoft makes windows how they want to, gamers configure windows how they need it....

ur not listening Windows creator update has effected the way my computer RUNS ALL TOGETHER NOT just when im playing games. Its affected and slowed down something as simple as booting up the computer to opening up google chrome. THE ENTIRE COMPUTER has slowed down after this update.

dault3883
29-04-2017, 20:34
Even Microsoft knows they have screwed up there telling people not to install google chrome update.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/26/stop_downloading_win10_creators_update/

Only problem is i didnt choose to install it. Windows forced the installation on my laptop against my will

Roger Prynne
29-04-2017, 22:06
I've got 'Defer Feature Updates' turned on in the Windows Update advanced settings, so haven't got it yet.
Heard a lot of bad stories though.

dault3883
29-04-2017, 22:10
I've got 'Defer Feature Updates' turned on in the Windows Update advanced settings, so haven't got it yet.
Heard a lot of bad stories though.

how do i turn that on can you show screen shot of how to get to it

Roger Prynne
29-04-2017, 22:17
Just go to settings - update & security - windows update - advanced options.

dault3883
29-04-2017, 22:19
Just go to settings - update & security - windows update - advanced options.

i did i didnt see that option in the advanced settings on mine

jonston
05-05-2017, 03:21
So the creators update, destroyed my pc too, simtools stopped working, VR stopped working. rolling back did not help. in the end i formatted my pc, ran all the updates and creators went back on it! but this time i turned off game mode, loaded all my software and the machine works perfectly.

its a big job especially with the amount of devices i have.

tylerpslab
01-07-2017, 20:25

ryandtw
02-07-2017, 07:17
Gosh, I have to wonder how pCARS 2 will deal with the Windows 10 Creators Update...

Roger Prynne
02-07-2017, 09:12
^ Like anything else that has to deal with the Windows 10 Creators Update, you have to sort it out for yourself.
I'm just glad that I haven't got it.

ryandtw
03-07-2017, 05:17
Honestly, I went back to Windows 7 on my desktop. My laptop (Windows 10) doesn't have the Creators Update.