PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for the SMS team on Pcars 2

snipeme77
14-04-2017, 23:06
Although I know you can't answer all these questions, but I feel they need to be asked. Thanks for any answers I get.

Can you (Development team) elaborate on what the problem was with the controller/game pad controls and what's been done to fix them? Seeing and hearing team VVV's commentary doesn't exactly fill me with hope. (yet.)

With the announcement of rallycross, will the full rallycross rule set be implemented with heat races and scoring and such.

Will Livetrack be coming to consoles?

In oval racing, will weather be disabled?

Again thanks to any answers I get, and I can safely say I'm really pumped for Pcars 2. Have a good one.

hotak
14-04-2017, 23:19
I'll try to summarize what has already been made public on GTplanet:
-controllers have been completely overhouled, now much better
-rallycross should be following WRX ruleset with jocker laps and everything
-console/PC physics is the same
-not sure about it

snipeme77
14-04-2017, 23:25
I'll try to summarize what has already been made public on GTplanet:
-controllers have been completely overhouled, now much better
-not sure about it

I really want to know what's been done to the controllers. Is it just they've tweaked the setting that was available in Pcars 1, or what. Again looking off of team VVV's video, the cars still seem a little wrong, and they seem to agree. I would love a demo before release, just to try it out with a controller myself, because watching other people on youtube can only go so far you know?

FS7
14-04-2017, 23:46
Can you (Development team) elaborate on what the problem was with the controller/game pad controls and what's been done to fix them? Seeing and hearing team VVV's commentary doesn't exactly fill me with hope. (yet.)
Imo the problem in PCars1 was that the default controller setup wasn't good, once you figure out a good controller setup & car setup then it's all good. Hopefully PCars2 will have a couple of decent default controller setups that will fit most players (eg: 1 default setup for casual/tap steer players + 1 default setup for hardcore/precision players).

snipeme77
14-04-2017, 23:59
Imo the problem in PCars1 was that the default controller setup wasn't good, once you figure out a good controller setup & car setup then it's all good. Hopefully PCars2 will have a couple of decent default controller setups that will fit most players (eg: 1 default setup for casual/tap steer players + 1 default setup for hardcore/precision players).

My major problem was the race cars drove pretty well once you got the controller set up, but the street cars where horrible. Less gripy tires and more steering lock means more controllers through TV's. With Rally cross and oval racing coming, I just worry.

FS7
15-04-2017, 00:02
My major problem was the race cars drove pretty well once you got the controller set up, but the street cars where horrible. Less gripy tires and more steering lock means more controllers through TV's. With Rally cross and oval racing coming, I just worry.
Did you try adjusting steering ratio in each car's setup? That was one of the issues with controllers imo, most cars had steering ratio too fast.

RacingAtHome
15-04-2017, 00:21
Although I know you can't answer all these questions, but I feel they need to be asked. Thanks for any answers I get.

With the announcement of rallycross, will the full rallycross rule set be implemented with heat races and scoring and such.

Again thanks to any answers I get, and I can safely say I'm really pumped for Pcars 2. Have a good one.

Makes no sense why weather would be disabled in game. In career, most likely yes. In Custom Race, why?

snipeme77
15-04-2017, 00:33
Makes no sense why weather would be disabled in game. In career, most likely yes. In Custom Race, why?

Career and Multi player are my main worries. I don't it mind in custom race, but in Career it would be unacceptable as oval racing doesn't happen in the rain in real life

snipeme77
15-04-2017, 00:35
Did you try adjusting steering ratio in each car's setup? That was one of the issues with controllers imo, most cars had steering ratio too fast.

Yeah I did/do, but still should be worked on. That's why I want to know if SMS just tweaked the settings or actually redid the controls

Mad Al
15-04-2017, 00:54
Yeah I did/do, but still should be worked on. That's why I want to know if SMS just tweaked the settings or actually redid the controls

They have made major changes and reworked all the damping and filtering, not just tweaked the PC1 settings... put it this way, I can drive the default pad controls this time around, I definitely couldn't last time. Also the defaults seem to work well for both tappers and smooth controller technique (I'm definitely the later)

snipeme77
15-04-2017, 01:00
They have made major changes and reworked all the damping and filtering, not just tweaked the PC1 settings... put it this way, I can drive the default pad controls this time around, I definitely couldn't last time. Also the defaults seem to work well for both tappers and smooth controller technique (I'm definitely the later)

That's what I wanted to hear about, thank you very much. I've still got my fingers crossed for a demo

Mahjik
15-04-2017, 01:59
That's what I wanted to hear about, thank you very much. I've still got my fingers crossed for a demo

SMS said no demos.

Konan
15-04-2017, 15:59
Yeah...so you can uncross your fingers...you need all off them to drive...:p

OddTimer
15-04-2017, 19:06
about the new revamped controller...it looks very twitchy in this video...VVV said the controller still needs work (see his comments in this same video comment section)....I hope it is a lot better that this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDTJBhKIgRM

snipeme77
20-04-2017, 20:45
about the new revamped controller...it looks very twitchy in this video...VVV said the controller still needs work (see his comments in this same video comment section)....I hope it is a lot better that this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDTJBhKIgRM

Yeah that's what I'm saying, it looks really bad, and every time Ian Bell has spoken about the game, he says "...we fixed the controller problems day 1..." I'm not so sure seeing this ^^^^ and all the other videos Team VVV have posted.

I don't understand the concept of not releasing demos, especially after a semi shaky start with Pcars 1. On a wheel the game was great and engaging, but on a controller, damn it pissed me off. Nothing is worse than running 14 laps perfectly, get a twitch on the last lap and are unable to control it because of the steering and crash on the last lap.

I won't be preordering, until I see some real improvements with the controller

Mad Al
20-04-2017, 21:36
Yeah that's what I'm saying, it looks really bad, and every time Ian Bell has spoken about the game, he says "...we fixed the controller problems day 1..." I'm not so sure seeing this ^^^^ and all the other videos Team VVV have posted.

I don't understand the concept of not releasing demos, especially after a semi shaky start with Pcars 1. On a wheel the game was great and engaging, but on a controller, damn it pissed me off. Nothing is worse than running 14 laps perfectly, get a twitch on the last lap and are unable to control it because of the steering and crash on the last lap.

He also said in a separate vid specifically about controller, that he's extremely rusty with a controller.

couple of points, the kerbs at RBR that he ran will also drag the car around (as several wheel users found when we ran an MP test there), so that wouldn't help him and the TC was set way too high and was causing total loss of throttle control (as shown by the TC icon and throttle trace).

hkraft300
20-04-2017, 22:12

You're going to judge gamepad settings based on a gamepad noobs video?
I don't think these guys getting some gameplay access are allowed to tweak any settings.
Would you tweak the gamepad settings to suit, or are the presets the make-or-break deal for you?

Some cars are going to be super difficult on the gamepad. Some cars are twitchy even with a wheel on the limit. There's no 2 ways about it.
So expecting gamepad to not be "twitchy", ever, is expecting the game to drive for you. Like little Maggie in the opening of The Simpson's, "driving" with her mother.

snipeme77
20-04-2017, 22:51
You're going to judge gamepad settings based on a gamepad noobs video?
I don't think these guys getting some gameplay access are allowed to tweak any settings.
Would you tweak the gamepad settings to suit, or are the presets the make-or-break deal for you?

Some cars are going to be super difficult on the gamepad. Some cars are twitchy even with a wheel on the limit. There's no 2 ways about it.
So expecting gamepad to not be "twitchy", ever, is expecting the game to drive for you. Like little Maggie in the opening of The Simpson's, "driving" with her mother.

1st of all bud, calm down, not trying to start a fight...

2nd, yes I will judge a game based on a gameplay video, (noob or otherwise) because there is no and apparently won't be a demo and I can't try it for myself.

3rd, I understand some cars will be harder to drive than others on a controller, that's how it is on just about any sim game, car or otherwise. But, it looks to me like the same problems we had in Pcars 1, twitching steering and aids that didn't work completely. Which is why I posted this thread originally, because I wanted to know what was done to the controllers to make them at least functional. Playing games like Race 07, Race Pro, Automobilista, and most recently GT Sport, has shown me it's possible to nail a mix between drivability and hardcore with both a wheel and controller, and I'm hoping to see that in Pcars 2

4th This was a early build, and chances are the build these guys tested is at least 3 or 4 months behind what the beta testers have now. But its a little off-putting to me as a customer, and someone who loves the concept of Pcars, that the lead developer is bragging about how the controls are fixed, and the first time they show it off to the press with a controller, almost everyone I've talked to says it's still a long ways off where it needs to be. It's better, but not there yet. (Again, this is without knowing the skill of the driver or the aids on the car at the time...) Either way, after being burned by Overkill games twice on Payday 2, I've very weary of game developers saying they've done anything to fix a game that was once broken...

Lastly, The gamepad preset settings are not a make or break for myself no. But for my friends who don't play racing games as often, and or are not as technically inclined as me, it is. If they can't drive the cars, all the cars with the help of driver aids and the default settings, then that's when I have a problem. Again, this is why I wish SMS would release a demo. I'll probably buy it either way because I love racing games and have a wheel, but I couldn't recommend project cars 1 to my friends because of the controls in good faith and I don't want that to repeat.

The game is still in development, changes will be made, and until we get closer to release we won't see those changes. But, from what I'm seeing and hearing at the moment, I'm a little hesitant. Also thanks Mad AI for finding that comment...

hkraft300
21-04-2017, 00:58
Agree, I can't recommend this game to any of my friends. But none are quite into motorsport or sim racing. Happy with a bit of a punt in Forza horizon.
Personally, game pad in pcars1 still feels better.
Anyway, you'll enjoy it with or without great presets: you'll tweak it to your liking, and the settings in pcars actually makes a difference to the gamepad control unlike other console racers.

dault3883
21-04-2017, 01:11

Because Stockcars + oval tracks + rain = WRECKFEST stock cars usually dont use rain tires and i think the ones good year does bring to the road course events are like a few years old

hkraft300
21-04-2017, 01:46
... stock cars usually dont use rain tires and i think the ones good year does bring to the road course events are like a few years old

That's how it feels driving the stock cars in rain in pc1

dault3883
21-04-2017, 02:26
That's how it feels driving the stock cars in rain in pc1

but reality is i can count on my two hads the amount of times that NASCAR has actually used the rain tires and none of those times were in the cup series (exibition races in japan dont count) only in Xfinity i know i was a diehard nascar fan up until this season

hkraft300
21-04-2017, 02:41
but reality is i can count on my two hads the amount of times that NASCAR has actually used the rain tires and none of those times were in the cup series (exibition races in japan dont count) only in Xfinity i know i was a diehard nascar fan up until this season

It's still great fun though.
Try the stock cars in rain. At Monaco.
It'll feel like you stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice.

dault3883
21-04-2017, 03:18
It's still great fun though.
Try the stock cars in rain. At Monaco.
It'll feel like you stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice.

Monaco isnt an oval though which above is the original message from beginning of thread that started it you missed my point or ignored it all togeather

Cheesenium
21-04-2017, 03:22

All I can say for me who had used gamepad in pcars 2, the current gamepad handling is better than it was than pcars 1. There are still issues remain as it is a product under development.

hkraft300
21-04-2017, 04:18
Monaco isnt an oval though which above is the original message from beginning of thread that started it you missed my point or ignored it all togeather

Wasn't talking about ovals. Was about road courses. Stock cars in rain is fun. That's all.
Career is set to have scripted weather. Since oval racing doesn't happen in wet conditions, I don't see SMS putting that in.
Will be proper mayhem in custom races as you said. Still, will be fun.
I couldn't drive the stock cars with gamepad but with a wheel they're awesome. Even in the rain.

Mascot
21-04-2017, 07:09
It's confusing when people talk about 'weather' when what they actually mean is 'precipitation' or more simply, 'rain'.

Overcast is 'weather'.
Cloudy is 'weather'.
Sunny is 'weather'.
Mist and fog are 'weather'.

Rain is also 'weather', but it's not the only weather.

Next on my pedantic hit list: people who write 'breaks' when they mean 'brakes'.

RacingAtHome
21-04-2017, 13:52
It's confusing when people talk about 'weather' when what they actually mean is 'precipitation' or more simply, 'rain'.

Overcast is 'weather'.
Cloudy is 'weather'.
Sunny is 'weather'.
Mist and fog are 'weather'.

Rain is also 'weather', but it's not the only weather.

Next on my pedantic hit list: people who write 'breaks' when they mean 'brakes'.

*insert obnoxious reply regarding breaks, whether and more whether*

snipeme77
21-04-2017, 14:14
I'm sure 99% understood what I meant. In career in a championship race, I don't want to drive a indy car though the rain or through a blizzard...
Invitational events, don't care either way... So in pcars 1 where the stock cars are invitational races, I didn't care too much about the rain.