PDA

View Full Version : In defense of the Ai

Leper Messiah
19-04-2017, 08:28
The Ai in PC get's a lot of flak from some quarters, but for me I think it's really pretty good (although I've not done FB or FA yet which seems to be the main problem areas).

I'm currently in the Endurance championships in a GT4 car and done the EEC and been scared ****less as LMPs and GT3s overtake and I wasn't hit ONCE. At one point I had a GT3 overtake me then had LMPs overtake EITHER SIDE of me, I literally held my breath.....no collisions at all. Ok so at chicanes some corner cutting happens but in the main I think SMS did a solid job on the Ai. Sounds like the improvements for PC2 are really promising too. My only complaint about the Ai is that they seem to be based on Ginneta Juniors and Moto 3 mentality! ;)

honespc
19-04-2017, 12:16
Try FB and see it yourself, although AI rams you across all disciplines as well. You must have been lucky. Very lucky.

I play Road Cars a lot for long drifting sesions, because let's be honest road cars are amazing in project cars as long as you play with a wheel (you can't play road cars with a controller basically in this game), and the AI is not aware of your current side position most of the times too, like in FB. She also tends to ram you in the back, like in FB, again.

Most people hoping for the aggression parameters to have been tweaked in project cars 2, specially in open wheels. I think the AI is featuring "personalities" in pc2 regardless the %difficulty you choose. If so then that should be good enough, but first we must see before believe.

Roger Prynne
19-04-2017, 13:43
GT4 is a great class to race in.....

http://youtu.be/hXY_uVMFgyE

Leper Messiah
20-04-2017, 06:39
Try FB and see it yourself, although AI rams you across all disciplines as well. You must have been lucky. Very lucky.

I play Road Cars a lot for long drifting sesions, because let's be honest road cars are amazing in project cars as long as you play with a wheel (you can't play road cars with a controller basically in this game), and the AI is not aware of your current side position most of the times too, like in FB. She also tends to ram you in the back, like in FB, again.

Most people hoping for the aggression parameters to have been tweaked in project cars 2, specially in open wheels. I think the AI is featuring "personalities" in pc2 regardless the %difficulty you choose. If so then that should be good enough, but first we must see before believe.

I just don't understand this, unless it's a 90%+ setting? my comfort setting is around 80-90% and never go above that so maybe that's when the issues become more apparent?

But once I have the Endurance accolades and a few more invitational done I'll be off to FB and see how bad it is.

If PC2 solves the aggression and reins in the corner cutting then it'll be brilliant, and from what i've heard so far it's looking very promising!

Zpectre87
20-04-2017, 10:10
The problem with the AI is that they're all modeled after Ayrton Senna's defending and overtaking style. But this makes it better because I want to put in some effort, haha.

mmaruda
20-04-2017, 10:42
I noticed that AI behaviour varies depending on the track car combo. Some AI drivers also seem to be more aggressive than others. The worse experience is probably with open wheelers. I also noticed that if you drive very aggressively, they seem to respect the space around you a bit more.

On the upside, they do battle you hard and never let off, which is kind of unique compared to other sims, where the AI is like "Oh you are on my inside line? Fine dude, whatever take the spot". Not here, they will block you and make you fight for it, so overtaking becomes a safe possibility only on one or two corner sometimes. I guess it can be frustrating, but it is possible to have a clean and challenging race with the AI.

Olijke Poffer
20-04-2017, 10:48
Indeed. The AI is not that bad. Sometimes a bit to aggressive or they tend to cut the corners a lot. I hope the cutting corners is gone with PCars2. Ow he is in front of me, well no problem I just take a shortcut and cut the corner. :sorrow:

FS7
20-04-2017, 14:30
I've not done FB or FA yet
Open-wheel AI is where I've had most trouble.
I've had some really good races against AI in GT, LMP, DTM, but most of the times I tried racing in open-wheel I quit out of frustration. Slower cars like F-Gulf & FC aren't too bad but FA is pretty much unplayable for me, not only they do overly aggressive moves there's also the issue of AI having different collision physics (most of the time my car gets ****ed up while AI keeps going normally like nothing happened). AI pace is good overall, but I wish there were separate difficulty sliders to adjust AI pace & AI aggressiveness.

cxMilk
20-04-2017, 18:11
I've yet to run open wheelers and have yet to try anything north of 85% AI difficulty, so I'm assuming these factors have lead to why my overall AI experience has been rather good. Most of the AI complaints I've seen do seem to involve open wheelers and rather high difficulties, since if I recall, aggressiveness is tied into difficulty as well. However,

...there's also the issue of AI having different collision physics (most of the time my car gets ****ed up while AI keeps going normally like nothing happened).
^^This. This ranks up there with AI on cold tires and AI on slicks in the wet. Actually, I'd say it's worse. On several occasions where I've ended up in an accident with an AI, be it my fault or their's, typically I have to limp back to the pits at minimal speed while they can carry on, as FS7 said, like nothing happened. I hate to turn off physical damage, as AI cars can be damaged - they just have a much higher threshold for damage. It just sucks how unbalanced it can be at times. At least it's not like mechanical faults where the AI is impervious to them.

As far as racecraft, the only complaint I've really ever had about the AI, besides obvious corner cutting, is the aggressive nature of lapped cars, be it just a single lap or several laps down. I don't expect lapped cars should instantly move over, nor do I think they should. But I wish better blue flag mechanics were in place.

MaximusN
21-04-2017, 09:38
I noticed that AI behaviour varies depending on the track car combo. Some AI drivers also seem to be more aggressive than others. The worse experience is probably with open wheelers. I also noticed that if you drive very aggressively, they seem to respect the space around you a bit more.

On the upside, they do battle you hard and never let off, which is kind of unique compared to other sims, where the AI is like "Oh you are on my inside line? Fine dude, whatever take the spot". Not here, they will block you and make you fight for it, so overtaking becomes a safe possibility only on one or two corner sometimes. I guess it can be frustrating, but it is possible to have a clean and challenging race with the AI.

The most important thing IMHO is never to take the outside line. If you have the inside they will respect you a lot more(that goes for defending the inside too). If you do that they are quite manageable most of the time. And in that respect it's not that different from real racing(except maybe for F1, but even there guys on the outside get run off the track and whine on their radios ;) )

Leper Messiah
21-04-2017, 09:46
Yeah you have to treat the Ai like they are 17 -19 years old!!

MaximusN
21-04-2017, 10:36
Yeah you have to treat the Ai like they are 17 -19 years old!!

Hahaha, no they adhere to the "If you're not ahead on the outside it's your duty to back off" mentality. Which I can understand. Sim racers tend to be more civil (and on the flip side demand to be given room) than real racers.

dault3883
21-04-2017, 12:18
Hahaha, no they adhere to the "If you're not ahead on the outside it's your duty to back off" mentality. Which I can understand. Sim racers tend to be more civil (and on the flip side demand to be given room) than real racers.

hate me or like me but if i see a hole and i think i can make it im going for it thats true racing imo

FS7
21-04-2017, 13:37
The most important thing IMHO is never to take the outside line.
True, I've been run off track by AI many times while on the outside. Personally I think if I'm on the racing line and half a car or more ahead of them it's my corner and they should back off, a AI car clearly behind me trying to push me off the racing line on corner exit is simply poor racecraft imho.

hkraft300
21-04-2017, 14:38
Race the AI like they don't have mirrors. If you're not bold, side by side, they won't "see" you, or give you space.

hate me or like me but if i see a hole and i think i can make it im going for it...

Lol
;)

dault3883
21-04-2017, 14:48
Race the AI like they don't have mirrors. If you're not bold, side by side, they won't "see" you, or give you space.

Lol
;)

Just like wayne taylor racing in the 24 hours of daytona LOL if you move down on me when my nose is already in the hole if u spin its on you

and i wont just race AI like that ill race YOU like that too dont matter who you are its where i got the nick name thats in my picture

Mahjik
21-04-2017, 15:12

This is actually pretty good advice. If you pretend the AI doesn't know you are along side of them, then you can have some good races with them. Yes, the AI is a too aggressive with open wheel cars, especially the faster ones. The AI does pretty good with the slower ones like the Formula Rookie. This is something SMS is very aware of (remember, one of the SMS physics/AI associates is a former SCCA racer/champion)....

dault3883
21-04-2017, 15:17
This is actually pretty good advice. If you pretend the AI doesn't know you are along side of them, then you can have some good races with them. Yes, the AI is a too aggressive with open wheel cars, especially the faster ones. The AI does pretty good with the slower ones like the Formula Rookie. This is something SMS is very aware of (remember, one of the SMS physics/AI associates is a former SCCA racer/champion)....

just like there mato made for racers by racers

Leper Messiah
23-04-2017, 07:49

;) that's what I mean 17-19 y/os.....Ginettas and Moto 3 mentallity! ;)

heh once again young un mentallity.

IF SMS can add "maturity" of decision making to the Ai then PC2 will be quite an experience.

MaximusN
23-04-2017, 09:20
IF SMS can add "maturity" of decision making to the Ai then PC2 will be quite an experience.

Or at least a slider for it :)

And I'd like a slider for field spread so there is more difference between the fastest and slowest. I'd actually consider running it on 100% overall difficulty if I can have meaningful fights in the back of the field. The problem now is that you have to tune the AI difficulty because there so close together you can be on pole and win a race in one combo and be dead last in an other. I don't like either of those options... I love to run midfield.

And that should be okay-ish to advance in career too. With the exception of the higher classes like F1 most of the racers in the field didn't end up top 3 in the previous championship, but they're still there. True that's for all kinds of reasons(like being consistent, good for PR, bring money, a nice guy to work with, good at developing a car), but they're still there. And to make the circle complete, that's why we need a field spread slider. ;)

hkraft300
23-04-2017, 10:14

Next minute: Musk and Bell are bff's and Tesla autopilot actually works...

DECATUR PLAYA
23-04-2017, 17:01

HA. You learn something everyday. Yeah I haven't watched many champions that spend a lot of time sitting behind other drivers. Champions don't particularly like giving up positions either. Old or young.

DECATUR PLAYA
23-04-2017, 17:42
I think when thinking in terms of percentages (%) that the biggest problem with the AI is that having to race the AI at 30 to 40% to be competitive is a ego hit for some guys. As a experienced racer the AI is pretty damn tough at 80%. Understanding what skill level to put the AI at is critical for a good AI experience. Part of enjoying Pcars is taking that ego hit and realizing maybe you didn't know as much as you thought you knew or maybe you can't drive as good as you think you can.

dault3883
23-04-2017, 18:03
I think when thinking in terms of percentages (%) that the biggest problem with the AI is that having to race the AI at 30 to 40% to be competitive is a ego hit for some guys. As a experienced racer the AI is pretty damn tough at 80%. Understanding what skill level to put the AI at is critical for a good AI experience. Part of enjoying Pcars is taking that ego hit and realizing maybe you didn't know as much as you thought you knew or maybe you can't drive as good as you think you can.

I hate how the qualifying times the AI put are like 6 seconds faster than their times in the race. Is that something thats just not right or am i missing something?

DECATUR PLAYA
23-04-2017, 18:54
I hate how the qualifying times the AI put are like 6 seconds faster than their times in the race. Is that something thats just not right or am i missing something?

I don't have enough experience with AI to answer that.

dault3883
23-04-2017, 18:59
I don't have enough experience with AI to answer that.

if it helps its happening in career mode

Konan
23-04-2017, 19:31
What percentage do you have the AI on?
Normally at around 75% you should be able to match/top their times...

dault3883
23-04-2017, 19:38
What percentage do you have the AI on?
Normally at around 75% you should be able to match/top their times...

I had dropped it down to 40 to see if it would change any thing as far as their times in practice and qualifing, but it didnt its still the same so i dont know.

Mahjik
23-04-2017, 20:51
I had dropped it down to 40 to see if it would change any thing as far as their times in practice and qualifing, but it didnt its still the same so i dont know.

Are you "skipping" to the end of the qualifying session or just letting it complete naturally?

dault3883
23-04-2017, 20:53
Are you "skipping" to the end of the qualifying session or just letting it complete naturally?

skipping

Mahjik
23-04-2017, 20:55
skipping

If you skip, that will happen. Just use the time acceleration to 2-5x (no more) to speed up the session.

dault3883
23-04-2017, 21:03
If you skip, that will happen. Just use the time acceleration to 2-5x (no more) to speed up the session.

Thats wierd i take it thats a problem that should probably be fixed. Thanks for telling me i had taken to simulating the qualifying sessions. I got tired of qualifying dead last.

Mahjik
23-04-2017, 21:11
Thats wierd i take it thats a problem that should probably be fixed. Thanks for telling me i had taken to simulating the qualifying sessions. I got tired of qualifying dead last.

It's an issue that's been in sims that use any pieces of the isiMotor engine since Sports Car GT came out (1999).

dault3883
24-04-2017, 03:20
It's an issue that's been in sims that use any pieces of the isiMotor engine since Sports Car GT came out (1999).

I dont know if it was the GT4 mustang or what, but i started my second season and moved up to a McLaren 12C GT3 Car. i just practiced and qualified 1st, and from the first cockpit view to boot. :)

DECATUR PLAYA
24-04-2017, 04:40
I dont know if it was the GT4 mustang or what, but i started my second season and moved up to a McLaren 12C GT3 Car. i just practiced and qualified 1st, and from the first cockpit view to boot. :)

It was the GT4 Mustang. I'm kidding. Sort of.

dault3883
24-04-2017, 04:57
It was the GT4 Mustang. I'm kidding. Sort of.

I think it was LOL. When i moved to gt3 i had my choices narrowed down to 3 teams. SBV corvette team, Red Raven Racing with the mclaren, and the team i ran for in GT4 West Force in a Audi R8 GT3. Im glad i went with the Mclaren. Who knows how bad that audi would of been, and while i would of loved to drive the corvette because im a huge corvette racing fan. I tested the mclaren in practice and it was like a slot car it went where ever i wanted it to effertlesly it was on a rail great balance.

Leper Messiah
24-04-2017, 08:02

I havn't noticed such extremes but thing about it, in what realm of reality do race times match qualifying times? In quali I reduce fuel to save weight (VITAL in the lower powered cars), I run more aggresive setups because I don't care about tyre life, then in the race I have more fuel, and I'm more concerened about tyre life and will probably run harder tyres depending on race length. Ai should go slower in the race, but 6 seconds is too much really. what track car combo ai% is that?

edit ah, read the rest of the comments...skipping...yup causes issues on many of the tracks, not all though in my expereince

Leper Messiah
24-04-2017, 08:10

What complicates matters is the Ai is better at some tracks and a player will have some tracks they're blisteringly fast at, I'm faster than the Ai at Barcelona and Brno at 90% but at Nurbs GP I struggle to keep up at that setting. Cars make a lot of difference too, some I can't setup with a nice balance at all. That's not far off reality either, many drivers/riders have tracks that they are seemingly unstoppable at. And at other tracks they couldn't win even if they had more power.

hkraft300
24-04-2017, 12:09
Even if this is by accident it's a cool AI behaviour.
Hey I got one: drive the AI as if they're Lance Stroll ;)

dault3883
24-04-2017, 12:50
I havn't noticed such extremes but thing about it, in what realm of reality do race times match qualifying times? In quali I reduce fuel to save weight (VITAL in the lower powered cars), I run more aggresive setups because I don't care about tyre life, then in the race I have more fuel, and I'm more concerened about tyre life and will probably run harder tyres depending on race length. Ai should go slower in the race, but 6 seconds is too much really. what track car combo ai% is that?

edit ah, read the rest of the comments...skipping...yup causes issues on many of the tracks, not all though in my expereince

Problem with that theory is i moved up to GT3 and went with a mclaren and dominated practice qualifying and the sprint race at Laguna Seca. Only difference is iv been racing the laguna seca since the Gran Turismo 2 days. It went from my worst track (that cork screw is annoying if you dont know how to drive it) to my best track.

DECATUR PLAYA
24-04-2017, 16:49
Problem with that theory is i moved up to GT3 and went with a mclaren and dominated practice qualifying and the sprint race at Laguna Seca. Only difference is iv been racing the laguna seca since the Gran Turismo 2 days. It went from my worst track (that cork screw is annoying if you dont know how to drive it) to my best track.

The McClaren is a beast though. Probably the best balanced car for its class especially straight out of the box with no tuning.

dault3883
24-04-2017, 16:53
The McClaren is a beast though. Probably the best balanced car for its class especially straight out of the box with no tuning.

Why do you think i chose it over my favorite the corvette. ;) The corvette team was one of the ones you can choose from the start, so it will always bee there. McLaren i earned from how i performed in GT4 figured i had to at least try now im in love with the car. Now if only my AI team mate would do better he finished dead last in both sprint and main race while i won both. at least we had the front and back side covered

Konan
24-04-2017, 17:01
...not unimportant...covering the backside... :p

DECATUR PLAYA
24-04-2017, 17:02
What complicates matters is the Ai is better at some tracks and a player will have some tracks they're blisteringly fast at, I'm faster than the Ai at Barcelona and Brno at 90% but at Nurbs GP I struggle to keep up at that setting. Cars make a lot of difference too, some I can't setup with a nice balance at all. That's not far off reality either, many drivers/riders have tracks that they are seemingly unstoppable at. And at other tracks they couldn't win even if they had more power.

That's where my experience with the AI is minimal I just don't have as much as you but I do understand car/track combinations and I got some that I'm terrible with. Like that GT4 Mustang anywhere. This could attribute to struggles with the AI though.

dault3883
24-04-2017, 17:04
...not unimportant...covering the backside... :p

i was talking about the rear of the field he was DEAD LAST i lapped him...Twice LOL

Leper Messiah
25-04-2017, 08:15

PCs McLaren and laguna is a good combo for you :)

That's where my experience with the AI is minimal I just don't have as much as you but I do understand car/track combinations and I got some that I'm terrible with. Like that GT4 Mustang anywhere. This could attribute to struggles with the AI though.

Bascially there's no global difficulty setting that'll work across all cars and tracks, I try to find a guide line of where I am and tweak from there depending on whether I want a challengin or not, or if I want to fight for a win or fight for a podium or just fight for a top 10. Sometimes it's cool racing in the pack.

It's a nightmare for a programmer to get Ai correct, especially in a racing sim where a real driver will make a smeg load of decisions in an instant. Replicating that, with a limited budget of system time is a tad hard!

Lastly I've finally got round to starting the Formula B c-ship and yeah I can see why some complaints happen...I cussed a bit! PCs ai much better with tin tops. ;)

dault3883
25-04-2017, 17:09
PCs McLaren and laguna is a good combo for you :)

Bascially there's no global difficulty setting that'll work across all cars and tracks, I try to find a guide line of where I am and tweak from there depending on whether I want a challengin or not, or if I want to fight for a win or fight for a podium or just fight for a top 10. Sometimes it's cool racing in the pack.

It's a nightmare for a programmer to get Ai correct, especially in a racing sim where a real driver will make a smeg load of decisions in an instant. Replicating that, with a limited budget of system time is a tad hard!

Lastly I've finally got round to starting the Formula B c-ship and yeah I can see why some complaints happen...I cussed a bit! PCs ai much better with tin tops. ;)

Yes Laguna Seca is a good track to me i love it. Yes the Mclaren has quickly become my favorite car on the game at this point. She will go where ever i ask her too very well balanced.

hardlock
06-09-2017, 04:39
Was researching AI aggressiveness and found this thread. Now with a few thousand miles logged and most campaigns won, I feel I'm qualified to relay some observations. I've always left the slider at 50%. I run mostly GT races and have tried most all car options. (BTW, where can I find a list of cars/teams since once raced with one, the contract later only shows renewal, not what car they are offering me?)

When I first started, I was not only surprised but frustrated, amazed and even depressed at the AI! Depressed since I at first actually felt sad when someone crashed my beautiful car. Or when I got mad and chased down an offender to get revenge usually at the expense of a win. I hadn't counted on crash-em bash-em destruction derby racing. Didn't think that showed much realism but now I look forward to the challenge. In fact, I skip practice and qualifying rounds now altogether just so I can have 20 or so adversaries to battle to the win! (OK, yes I admit, I sometimes cheat by cutting corners, but if bashing your car off the track isn't cheating or at least very poor sportsmanship, I don't know what is.

I swear sometimes if I cut inside someone on a turn and push him off the track, he'll chase me down to get revenge. Comes out of nowhere and does a pit maneuver on me! I agree with other comments here that they do seem to have personalities, not so much with teams but with car types. For sure know the mustangs in GT4 are out to get me as well as vantages. The MBs in GT3 aren't shy either. Seems the heavier the car, the more aggressive they are. (I tend to get that way when driving them as well however so can't complain I guess. :mad:

I don't have the bandwidth to race real drivers but from my old days of aerial dog-fighting online, can imagine the heat!

Guy Smiley
16-09-2017, 22:50
My biggest frustration with the AI is that no matter how low the setting, I never see them make mistakes. I run with it at 27, which is low enough for me to qualify in the top 3, but in the main race where consistency counts, I finish in the bottom 5 because they run every race with perfect consistency. I don't know what to do about this...

Anyway, hopefully this issue is gone in PC2, so I think I'll retire my career until Friday!

hardlock
16-09-2017, 23:54
I'm with you GS on AI consistency but found that I can use that to know how to beat them. Never gone below 50% but tried higher and they just get too good.

There's always the few loose cannons you have to try to avoid but the rest always head for the track line, all the time. Couple tricks I've found. If you see two AIs next to each other fighting it out, pass right between them and they will open up for you almost all of the time. Also, always pass on the inside of a turn and best to just get your nose at the apex right before the AI driver starts to cut it. You'll in-effect do a "pit" maneuver on him sending him to the weeds. Be ready to counter steer for the impact but keep inertia on your side and just keep moving up the pack. Love this sim!

Gleidson84
25-09-2017, 19:32
The AI ​​of PCARS2 is not so bad, it does not get involved in so many collisions, the biggest problem for me is in the position dispute, they do not defend position, if you are faster just put in the line on the side and pass, it seems AI of rFactor, of the first Gran Turismo, this is frustrating.

Haiden
04-10-2017, 11:48
I'm with you GS on AI consistency but found that I can use that to know how to beat them. Never gone below 50% but tried higher and they just get too good.

There's always the few loose cannons you have to try to avoid but the rest always head for the track line, all the time. Couple tricks I've found. If you see two AIs next to each other fighting it out, pass right between them and they will open up for you almost all of the time. Also, always pass on the inside of a turn and best to just get your nose at the apex right before the AI driver starts to cut it. You'll in-effect do a "pit" maneuver on him sending him to the weeds. Be ready to counter steer for the impact but keep inertia on your side and just keep moving up the pack. Love this sim!

This right here is why the AI suck. This isn't racing etiquette. It's MP behavior. The AI shunts into corners like a drunken James Hunt. That's the major problem for. I don't care about the pile ups or crashes. Too much of it annoying, but I like a little unexpected ruckus sometimes. It's also great to see an accident happen and navigate through the chaos unscathed. But when the AI dive bombs a corner even though he's 10-20 meters away from your rear when you hit the braking zone and start to turn in, that's just stupid. Sames goes for when they rear end you, even though they were 10-20 meters (sometimes more) behind you when you started braking. Fix those two things, and SP will be a much better experience.

Roger Prynne
04-10-2017, 11:52
^

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51832-On-the-topic-of-AI&p=1360124&viewfull=1#post1360124

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?50638-Project-CARS-2-general-discussion-thread&p=1360291&viewfull=1#post1360291

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51832-On-the-topic-of-AI&p=1359697&viewfull=1#post1359697

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51832-On-the-topic-of-AI&p=1371870&viewfull=1#post1371870

Haiden
04-10-2017, 12:03
^

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51832-On-the-topic-of-AI&p=1360124&viewfull=1#post1360124

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?50638-Project-CARS-2-general-discussion-thread&p=1360291&viewfull=1#post1360291

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51832-On-the-topic-of-AI&p=1359697&viewfull=1#post1359697

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51832-On-the-topic-of-AI&p=1371870&viewfull=1#post1371870

Good to hear. Would be better to see. That's when it becomes real. :)