PDA

View Full Version : What does "the other half" think about gaming

Konan
23-03-2017, 21:52
...ok...i left the main reason out before...the most important one and in direct connection with the space/financial issue: if the wife doesn't agree...it ain't happening!...lol

bradleyland
23-03-2017, 22:18
...ok...i left the main reason out before...the most important one and in direct connection with the space/financial issue: if the wife doesn't agree...it ain't happening!...lol

I know that feel, bro :)

MEMO: All budget changes must go through the budgetary committee.

Grijo
23-03-2017, 23:46
I know that feel, bro :)

MEMO: All budget changes must go through the budgetary committee.

I'm with you guys, we never won and will never win a discussion with our wives...:sorrow:

morpwr
24-03-2017, 10:43
I'm with you guys, we never won and will never win a discussion with our wives...:sorrow:

Actually when I told her I was buying a vr headset and she could have the tv back I got zero arguments.:D

morpwr
24-03-2017, 10:48

With vr I only need a small monitor so my whole rig fits in the corner of the living room now and with headphones she doesn't hear it . Which means everyone is happy.lol

bradleyland
24-03-2017, 12:25
Actually when I told her I was buying a vr headset and she could have the tv back I got zero arguments.:D

Strategery!

Grijo
24-03-2017, 12:28
Every time this thread gets bumped I think the Scottish track has finally been released or the season pass is back on sale again.

Bannochbrae? :p Just kidding, I saw they are talking that the release of the Scottish track will be in mid/final april, on consoles of course.

Without the need to buy a new pair of shoes? No fancy dinner? You lucky bastard! :p

GrimeyDog
24-03-2017, 13:12
My Wife Loves My Passion for Sim Racing!!! it Keeps Me in the House Happy and Outta her....Hair:rolleyes: LOL

Its Cheaper also!!! Buting PC 1 time Major expense for Next 5yrs... Going out every weekend in Ny is at least $100.00 a pop!!! and thats being Cheap!!!

morpwr
24-03-2017, 17:05
My Wife Loves My Passion for Sim Racing!!! it Keeps Me in the House Happy and Outta her....Hair:rolleyes: LOL

Its Cheaper also!!! Buting PC 1 time Major expense for Next 5yrs... Going out every weekend in Ny is at least $100.00 a pop!!! and thats being Cheap!!!

Its 100 for pizza in nyc.lol I couldn't believe how expensive everything is compared to the other side of the state.

Roger Prynne
24-03-2017, 20:19
^ Seriously, $100 for a pizza, I can get a really good one for about 10/$12.5 over here.

MillsLayne
28-03-2017, 00:23

My wife hates my sim rig set up. If it were up to her, it'd be stored away, never to be seen again. I try the whole, "at least I'm not out partying," but that hasn't done much. :rolleyes:

hkraft300
28-03-2017, 01:38
You need to make it "pretty" and watch her attitude change towards it lol
Or spend less time with it and more time with her :p

MillsLayne
22-04-2017, 03:09
You need to make it "pretty" and watch her attitude change towards it lol
Or spend less time with it and more time with her :p

Trust me, ever since our daughter was born last June, I've used my set up exactly twice. But, with PC2 and Dirt 4 on the horizon, plus AC, it's going to get some use this summer.

LukeC
22-04-2017, 05:05
Trust me, ever since our daughter was born last June, I've used my set up exactly twice.

That is very, very sad. This is why I'm reluctant to get married. My cousin told me about the "inch at a time phenomenon" where your freedoms and privileges don't get taken away from you straigh away, but rather are eroded one inch at a time, until they're gone a decade or so later. Hope that doesn't happen to you.

hkraft300
22-04-2017, 05:21
That is very, very sad. This is why I'm reluctant to get married. My cousin told me about the "inch at a time phenomenon" where your freedoms and privileges don't get taken away from you straigh away, but rather are eroded one inch at a time, until they're gone a decade or so later. Hope that doesn't happen to you.

It's a part of growing up. As a father he has responsibilities that far outweigh his hobbies.
It's not a marriage thing.
Some choose to not have kids, or have a relationship. Some do. Everything has Pro's and cons. Can't have it all, there's only so many hours in a day.

LukeC
22-04-2017, 07:07
It's a part of growing up. As a father he has responsibilities that far outweigh his hobbies.
It's not a marriage thing.
Some choose to not have kids, or have a relationship. Some do. Everything has Pro's and cons. Can't have it all, there's only so many hours in a day.

But to only use a rig twice in nearly a year seems to be be a hefty price to pay for "growing up". And does it really have to be this way?

Put it this way, he'd have a very hard time selling me on the idea of marriage, given his circumstances.

Konan
22-04-2017, 07:11
That's why they call it "growing pains" :p

LukeC
22-04-2017, 07:28
That's why they call it "growing pains" :p

Indeed. Question is, can they be avoided, or at least minimised?

Konan
22-04-2017, 07:30
Depends on the girl you marry...lol

LukeC
22-04-2017, 07:36

I think it depends more on the type of contract you enter.

Konan
22-04-2017, 07:41
Well if you think it's a contract you've really got the wrong idea about marriage...there's nothing written in stone,it's all about give and take...:cool:
But since this is also a never ending discussion it's probably better to get back on topic...:p

LukeC
22-04-2017, 07:58
Well if you think it's a contract you've really got the wrong idea about marriage...there's nothing written in stone,it's all about give and take...:cool:
But since this is also a never ending discussion it's probably better to get back on topic...:p

Well in my case it would be mostly take. My lawyer advised me that if I were to get married and my wife cheated on me, she would be entited to 50-65% of the wealth and resources I've accumulated since I started working. Even if we were only married for six months and she contributed absolutely nothing financially. And that is written in stone.

Plus she could get me removed from my home at a whim by simply fabricating a false rape or abuse accusation.

Therefore, for me, marriage would be a very crappy deal, as I simply cannot live my life knowing that my wife has God-like legal powers over me.

I guess if I were young and had nothing to lose I might have considered it, but under my present circumstances its a no go. Until the laws get can changed to something that resembles a fair deal.

hkraft300
22-04-2017, 09:26
Says the man taking marriage advice from a lawyer lol :p
I don't disagree, and you definitely won't find that "equality" in Australian "family" law, possibly American or British too but I don't live there.

LukeC
22-04-2017, 10:05
Says the man taking marriage advice from a lawyer lol :p
I don't disagree, and you definitely won't find that "equality" in Australian "family" law, possibly American or British too but I don't live there.

I was under the impression that you lived in Australia. Out of curiosity, where do you live?

By the way, the reason why I'm taking advice from a lawyer is because marriage is a legal contract that inevitably involves lawyers. And should something go wrong the law is merciless, if you're a man.

Anyway, I'm very p***ed off about the situation and I had to get it off my chest. My only question is this: how on earth was the situation allowed to degenerate to this point? It boggles the mind.

Konan
22-04-2017, 10:17
Since this is an ongoing conversation i started a new thread about it...enjoy! :p

Invincible
22-04-2017, 13:34
I think it really depends on your girl. If you really got the right one and don't marry her after a year already, there's nothing wrong about it. Even with my wife and my daughter, I still have enough time to spend several hours per week in my rig.
Of course you would have more time to play when you're single, but the pro's easily outweigh the con's for me.
Still, a legal contract is always advised imo. Even my wife wanted one, as she is a Doctor with her own office and would likely have more to loose than me.

In the end, you just have to be really sure you got the right one. To be that sure, it takes time until you both have settled down and the bubutterflies in your stomach have calmed so you can assess the situation with a clear mind and not drunken by love.

dault3883
22-04-2017, 13:43

Yea if you get the right girl she will have her own rig set up right next to yours LOL;)

Well in my case it would be mostly take. My lawyer advised me that if I were to get married and my wife cheated on me, she would be entited to 50-65% of the wealth and resources I've accumulated since I started working. Even if we were only married for six months and she contributed absolutely nothing financially. And that is written in stone.

Plus she could get me removed from my home at a whim by simply fabricating a false rape or abuse accusation.

Therefore, for me, marriage would be a very crappy deal, as I simply cannot live my life knowing that my wife has God-like legal powers over me.

I guess if I were young and had nothing to lose I might have considered it, but under my present circumstances its a no go. Until the laws get can changed to something that resembles a fair deal.

Thats what prenuptial agreements are for.

RomKnight
22-04-2017, 14:41
Too much money spent, too much time lost, too much space occupied, too much too clean.... Too annoying. We still manage to be together though lol

hkraft300
22-04-2017, 15:51
I was under the impression that you lived in Australia. Out of curiosity, where do you live?

By the way, the reason why I'm taking advice from a lawyer is because marriage is a legal contract that inevitably involves lawyers. And should something go wrong the law is merciless, if you're a man.

Anyway, I'm very p***ed off about the situation and I had to get it off my chest. My only question is this: how on earth was the situation allowed to degenerate to this point? It boggles the mind.

Melbourne, Australia. That's why I can say it's brutal for men when the law gets involved in separation here in Australia. Luckily I haven't had the same experience as I'd bailed when the Red flags got too much. I've seen too many mates get caught with their pants down though.
My wife disagrees with it and calls it unfair and unequal despite the obvious advantages for women. Due to this advantage I think is why women are partly not afraid of a separation here. Zero consequences for their actions.
As for how we got here? Well, an inch at a time :rolleyes:

Back on topic: wife doesn't mind my sim racing. If you work hard, handle your business, you have a right to your leisure time and even a woman can't argue with that.

MillsLayne
22-04-2017, 22:49
Oh, trust me, I get plenty of gaming in still. But, the problem is that my rig takes up a lot of space and to pull it out in front of the tv, there's just no space right now. My daughter's playpen takes up most of the area right now. It's not a permanent situation, just temporary. My wife may complain about my hobbies since she's into neither racing OR gaming, but she knows what makes me happy, and vice versa.

LukeC
22-04-2017, 23:43
Yea if you get the right girl she will have her own rig set up right next to yours LOL;)

Thats what prenuptial agreements are for.

Don't be naive, prenuptial agreements are not worth the paper they're written on. They can, and usually are, thrown out of court on the basis of being unfair to the woman. And divorce courts are massively biased against men.

The only way to ensure that you don't get crippled financially for life is to not sign in the first place.

LukeC
22-04-2017, 23:48
Melbourne, Australia. That's why I can say it's brutal for men when the law gets involved in separation here in Australia. Luckily I haven't had the same experience as I'd bailed when the Red flags got too much. I've seen too many mates get caught with their pants down though.
My wife disagrees with it and calls it unfair and unequal despite the obvious advantages for women. Due to this advantage I think is why women are partly not afraid of a separation here. Zero consequences for their actions.
As for how we got here? Well, an inch at a time :rolleyes:

Back on topic: wife doesn't mind my sim racing. If you work hard, handle your business, you have a right to your leisure time and even a woman can't argue with that.

Yes, it is absolutely brutal for those born with penises. Something needs to be done about it because at the end of the day this is making women miserable too, as the most eligible men these days are choosing not to marry. And the men who are still marrying are those who have nothing to lose, and most women tend to not be interested in those men.

hkraft300
23-04-2017, 01:18
Divorce and separation is incentivised.
It's part of the reason housing prices keep rising but will never be mentioned from fear of feminist backlash.
Everybody drank that kool-aid :rolleyes:

Konan
25-04-2017, 13:47

So you actually still bother to GO in discussion?
I just keep my mouth shut when she starts...lol

hkraft300
25-04-2017, 15:47
Lol
I don't roll over so easy, but I do pick my battles wisely.
Besides, I have a good chick. She knows the stick doesn't work with me.

LukeC
25-04-2017, 22:40
Lol
I don't roll over so easy, but I do pick my battles wisely.
Besides, I have a good chick. She knows the stick doesn't work with me.

Of course the stick works with you. Any time she wants she can call the cops and tell them you hit her. You will then be taken to jail, finger printed, held there for a while without charge, released until your court appearance, which could be six months or more. You will subsequently not be allowed to go back to your home, even if you busted your hump for 20 years to pay for it, and if you have a job that requires a squeaky clean record eg. lawyer, doctor or schoolteacher, you will most likely lose that as well.

And that's if you're not married. If you are, you will most likely lose most of your wealth and if you have children, the house as well.

Now, I'm not saying your girlfriend would do that, that's not the point. The point is: she has the option to do it with the full support and protection of the law, and that's plain wrong.

Konan
25-04-2017, 22:48
That's food for the courts though...not the forum...:cool:

LukeC
25-04-2017, 22:51
That's food for the courts though...not the forum...:cool:

Why not? This information saves lives. If my cousin had known this, he would not have ended his life and would still be alive today, sim racing with the rest of us.

Konan
25-04-2017, 22:59
Because this is a gaming forum...and as much as i'm sorry for what happened to you or anyone of your family,this still isn't the place for such conversations.

dault3883
25-04-2017, 23:01
Because this is a gaming forum...and as much as i'm sorry for what happened to you or anyone of your family,this still isn't the place for such conversations.

agreed its starting to become VERY political and two things i was raised not to talk with other people is Politics and religion it never ends well

Konan
25-04-2017, 23:02
agreed its starting to become VERY political and two things i was raised not to talk with other people is Politics and religion it never ends well

...and is against forum rules...:cool:

LukeC
25-04-2017, 23:10

It's not political at all. It's just unpleasant. Unfortunately it's reality -- a very unpleasant reality -- and you want to banish it from your thoughts. In a way I don't blame you, but ignoring it isn't going to make it go away.

Konan
25-04-2017, 23:13
We all have our skeletons in the closet...let's just leave it at that or i'll be forced to close this thread.

dault3883
25-04-2017, 23:14
It's not political at all. It's just unpleasant. Unfortunately it's reality -- a very unpleasant reality -- and you want to banish it from your thoughts. In a way I don't blame you, but ignoring it isn't going to make it go away.

NO YOU HAVE MADE YOUR POINT. We get it we have heard what you have to say. At this point your only repeating yourself. What do you plan to accomplish from this. If this is such a big problem for you GO take it up with your government talking about it here gains you nothing.

Konan
25-04-2017, 23:16
Thread closed

Konan
28-04-2017, 09:30
@LukeC...if you think i'm trying to silence you than think again...
The title of this thread is:" what does "the other half" think about gaming"...
Not:"what do you think of your "other half"
Thanks for the bad rep btw...that red breaks the monotony of the + 3000 green posts i got :p