PDA

View Full Version : VR sickness

Invincible
22-04-2017, 18:36
Hey guys, I need your help. I've gotten my hands on a rift and it is a really awesome experience. But a downside is that I get some motion sickness, which is really annoying.
The image is somehow shaky and blurred at the sides. In the center it's fine. Any ideas to cure it?

Olijke Poffer
22-04-2017, 20:03
I have the PSVR and the first time I drove with DriveClub I got instant sick.
Now some months later it all is just back to normal. No problems with motion sickness whatsoever. Your brain will adapt very quickly. Some times with Dirt Rally I experience some nasty motion feeling but only for a second.
Even after some time not using VR your brain will stay adapted. When I play with VR after a couple of weeks not using it I don't experience motion sickness. So keep trying. You will get used to it. Don't play to long sessions and when feeling warm and uncomfortable stop immediately for a couple of hours.

Ryzza5
22-04-2017, 23:15
Find some smoother roads to drive on? :D

I found slow cars on flat tracks the best way to start. As you start trying tracks with hills, slouch and rise in your chair to go along with it. Only drive for short stints to begin with, and perhaps with only a few AI.

Olijke Poffer
23-04-2017, 08:56
Find some smoother roads to drive on? :D

I found slow cars on flat tracks the best way to start. As you start trying tracks with hills, slouch and rise in your chair to go along with it. Only drive for short stints to begin with, and perhaps with only a few AI.

To complement this, try open wheel cars. With your head out in the open you will feel less motion sickness than you experience in a closed top car.. al least this is my experience.

Mad Al
23-04-2017, 09:17
Hey guys, I need your help. I've gotten my hands on a rift and it is a really awesome experience. But a downside is that I get some motion sickness, which is really annoying.
The image is somehow shaky and blurred at the sides. In the center it's fine. Any ideas to cure it?

I assume you have turned all the movements stuff, under camera options, down to 0, play with world movement to see if that helps ?

And are you only having an issue in PC1.. or are you getting the same issue in AC, Dirt, PC2 (have you tried any of those yet...?)

Fanapryde
23-04-2017, 09:30

Which is why (amongst other reasons, but still the most down part) I'm sticking to triples.
I tried VR a couple of times and each time ended in nausea.
No use for me.

Invincible
23-04-2017, 09:40
I assume you have turned all the movements stuff, under camera options, down to 0, play with world movement to see if that helps ?

And are you only having an issue in PC1.. or are you getting the same issue in AC, Dirt, PC2 (have you tried any of those yet...?)

I have tried several settings, but it only got worse so back to default. Haven't tried any other sims yet but I'll try pcars2 tonight.

Open wheelers or tin tops make no real difference. But open wheelers feel better than on a single monitor. I tried the formula B on Nords and couldn't complete a lap before I started to feel really weird.

Flat tracks don't really help either. BMW on Silverstone - eight laps until I got sick. I think my main grief are the Fresnel lenses because they are so unsharp at the sides. :(

As it is now, I think I'll return it if it doesn't get substantially better in the next week.

Edit: And also I'm awfully slow with the rift. It feels fast and on the knifes edge, but on Silverstone for example I'm five seconds off my personal best.

Ryzza5
24-04-2017, 01:03
hmm not so invincible now then, eh?

After completing a 30-lap league race on PS4 I was curious to see if I could match my best time on PC in VR. Not sure if it was just the improved framerate but I was able to beat the time fairly quickly.

It sounds like you've tried this for quite a lot of time, perhaps more than I've played with it (I'm just busy), in which case perhaps VR sadly isn't for you. :(

cluck
24-04-2017, 07:53
Edit: And also I'm awfully slow with the rift. It feels fast and on the knifes edge, but on Silverstone for example I'm five seconds off my personal best.If you're coming from a single-screen, with a FOV that lets you see a lot of the cockpit, then your first few days with the Rift will definitely see you driving slower. Once you've got used to the new FOV and the ability to look through the corners, your lap times should improve. It took me just under a week or normal playtime to 'adjust', at the end of which I was beating all my previous best lap times.

As for the lenses, I've only got a DK2 and only tried a CV1 for about 15 minutes (didn't notice a problem though). I know one of the RSR guys got his hands on a DK2 and didn't realise he had been leant it fitted with the 'extreme long-sighted' lenses, which meant his image was quite blurry at the edges!

DaWorstPlaya
21-05-2017, 23:00
Apparently FOV makes a big difference with motion sickness, I read this on an article somewhere. I believe the Oculus and Vive VR headsets on the market do about 110deg FOV (give or take) based on the distance of your eyeball from the lens.

https://www.vrheads.com/field-view-faceoff-rift-vs-vive-vs-gear-vr-vs-psvr

http://www.vrspies.com/vrgamerdude/oculusrift-fov-mod/

Apparently, some people like to increase their FOV to improve the immersion. But for those folks who experience motion sickness, according to the article I read a while back, it is better to reduce your FOV in the headset. This can be done by putting on a larger spacer between yourself and the headset, eg: one of the headset foams on the market.

I have never done it because I got over my motion sickness through persistence. So if you already have VR headset and suffer from motion sickness it might be worth a shot. Let us know if that helps.

The other option is take Dramamine.

RomKnight
22-05-2017, 10:01
World movement and g forces set to 0 helps