PDA

View Full Version : Fanatecs return to the PS4 officially

Trans-Girl
18-05-2017, 22:23
wish i could afford one...
http://www.isrtv.com/fanatec/fanatec-playstation-4-wheel-base-possibly-arrive-2017/

Goresh
22-05-2017, 14:47
The fact the old wheels won't be supported doesn't impress me. My days of using a PS4 for racing titles is done.

Olijke Poffer
22-05-2017, 16:53
The fact the old wheels won't be supported doesn't impress me. My days of using a PS4 for racing titles is done.

If you're a race sim fanatic I can understand you don't race on a ps4 anymore. For me it is more than enough. I have a great time with the ps4 and pcars. The only thing I miss is the support of VR.

Ryzza5
23-05-2017, 08:12
Good for them. My wheel from 2013 still works.

Sankyo
23-05-2017, 13:14
Good for them. My wheel from 2013 still works.
The thing is that new games won't support it anymore, unless you go the CronusMax/other adapter way. And that is something that Fanatec cannot depend on so they have to make new, Sony-compliant hardware.

jerry555
01-06-2017, 08:55

https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/racing-wheels/csl-elite-racing-wheel-ps4.html

https://www.gtplanet.net/fanatec-playstation-4-csl-elite-wheel/#comments

bradleyland
01-06-2017, 16:25
If you're a race sim fanatic I can understand you don't race on a ps4 anymore. For me it is more than enough. I have a great time with the ps4 and pcars. The only thing I miss is the support of VR.

It's really the principle of the matter more than anything. Imagine that you bought a PS4 and a Fanatec wheel & pedal set. The wheel and pedal set would have cost you over €1000, and then Sony decides that they're no longer going to support it. I would be furious! That didn't happen to me, and it really has me evaluating whether I want to continue to support a company that would do that to its user base.

Olijke Poffer
01-06-2017, 17:36
That is one of the reasons I don't spend that amount of money on a console. I like what I have now. If I had the money to buy a decent rig and pc I would make the switch. This is not the case. As said, I like what I have.

AbeWoz
02-06-2017, 14:50
https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/550/introducing-our-first-officially-licensed-racing-wheel-for-playstation-4-ps4/p1

bradleyland
02-06-2017, 19:41
That is one of the reasons I don't spend that amount of money on a console. I like what I have now. If I had the money to buy a decent rig and pc I would make the switch. This is not the case. As said, I like what I have.

Yes, but if we don't make this about you for a moment, can you understand where someone who does find themselves in this situation would be put off?

bradleyland
02-06-2017, 19:48
https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/550/introducing-our-first-officially-licensed-racing-wheel-for-playstation-4-ps4/p1

Yeeeeeesus. EU only for now, with total non-commitment on US availability. Sony + Fanatec seems to be a perfect storm of buffoonery. They can't manage a global launch for a piece of hardware to a market that had the rug pulled out from under them... what... nearly a year ago?? Seems incredibly tone deaf. If Fanatec's product wasn't such an incredible value, with virtually no competition, I think they'd be out of business.

Trans-Girl
02-06-2017, 22:06
Yeeeeeesus. EU only for now, with total non-commitment on US availability. Sony + Fanatec seems to be a perfect storm of buffoonery. They can't manage a global launch for a piece of hardware to a market that had the rug pulled out from under them... what... nearly a year ago?? Seems incredibly tone deaf. If Fanatec's product wasn't such an incredible value, with virtually no competition, I think they'd be out of business.

fanatec have said it is not a tech issue but a bureaucratic one, and it is in hand, just because the eu and aus markets are easier to deal with, why should they hold back release to these markets until the yanks get there act together?

bradleyland
03-06-2017, 15:41
fanatec have said it is not a tech issue but a bureaucratic one, and it is in hand, just because the eu and aus markets are easier to deal with, why should they hold back release to these markets until the yanks get there act together?

Do you have some inside information as to why the US market is held up? It appears to me that you're making an assumption. The assumption that there is a need for the "yanks [to] get their act together" (which borders on an epithet, btw), but you have nothing to support that. For all we know, Fanatec started the submittal process with the Sony US division on a separate timeline.

My assertion is pretty simple. Fanatec, as a company, have tripped and stumbled their way around this entire situation, resulting in a really crappy situation for their existing end-users, and now an uncoordinated launch of their latest product.

Neither Logitech nor Thrustmaster ended up on the sidelines for almost a year, so any argument that the problem is with Sony US isn't supported by history, or the broader market circumstance. Fanatec is the only company that got caught out by Sony's licensing change in the first place.

From all of this, I draw the conclusion that Fanatec takes a different approach to licensing, and as a businessman, I hold them accountable for their approach. Whether it is a tech or bureaucratic issue makes no difference. Failing to get your product to market in a timely fashion is a business failure.

Sankyo
03-06-2017, 18:22
For all we know, Fanatec started the submittal process with the Sony US division on a separate timeline.

My assertion is pretty simple. Fanatec, as a company, have tripped and stumbled their way around this entire situation, resulting in a really crappy situation for their existing end-users, and now an uncoordinated launch of their latest product.

Neither Logitech nor Thrustmaster ended up on the sidelines for almost a year, so any argument that the problem is with Sony US isn't supported by history, or the broader market circumstance. Fanatec is the only company that got caught out by Sony's licensing change in the first place.

From all of this, I draw the conclusion that Fanatec takes a different approach to licensing, and as a businessman, I hold them accountable for their approach. Whether it is a tech or bureaucratic issue makes no difference. Failing to get your product to market in a timely fashion is a business failure.
But that's still only assumptions from your side and no facts. Without (inside) information showing this to be true, judging and condemning Fanatec for what is happening is just as bad as the abovementioned judgment about the "yanks".

Trans-Girl
03-06-2017, 20:44
Do you have some inside information as to why the US market is held up? It appears to me that you're making an assumption. The assumption that there is a need for the "yanks [to] get their act together" (which borders on an epithet, btw), but you have nothing to support that. For all we know, Fanatec started the submittal process with the Sony US division on a separate timeline.

No inside information , just what i have read on fanatecs discussion page ..

as for logitech... how long after the launch of the PS4 did it take for them to release a compatible wheel? was it 2 or 3 years? seems to me you just have a gripe with Fanatec

bradleyland
04-06-2017, 00:15
But that's still only assumptions from your side and no facts. Without (inside) information showing this to be true, judging and condemning Fanatec for what is happening is just as bad as the abovementioned judgment about the "yanks".

Are any of these statements false?

Fanatec was caught out by Sony's change in licensing.

Neither Logitech nor Thrustmaster ended up on the sidelines for almost a year.

Fanatec has been absent from the PS4 wheel market for months.

I made no assumptions, but I did offer an opinion: Fanatec have bungled the situation.

EDIT: I'm thinking that maybe you think the part following "for all we know" was an assumption. When someone says "for all we know", it's another way of saying, "we don't know". Whatever follows is explicitly conjecture, otherwise the idiom would make no sense.

bradleyland
04-06-2017, 00:23
No inside information , just what i have read on fanatecs discussion page ..

as for logitech... how long after the launch of the PS4 did it take for them to release a compatible wheel? was it 2 or 3 years? seems to me you just have a gripe with Fanatec

So you don't know whether Sony US is holding up the situation, or if it is Fanatec's process to blame? Got it. Neither do I, and for the record, I make no assertion that either of these scenarios are true, because I don't know.

I do have a gripe with Fanatec. I think they made a poor decision when they chose to sell the CSWB to PS4 customers to begin with (at one point PS4 compatibility was listed on their website), and I think they've done a poor job managing relationships with console manufacturers. Their customers have suffered as a result. Fortunately, I looked in to the details before buying a wheel, so I didn't get stuck with a CSWB that won't work with my console.

Yes, Logitech took their sweet time launching a product, but that's not really a counter-argument to anything I've asserted. Logitech released the G29 on July 15, 2015, according to what I can find online. That's 17 months ahead of Fanatec's release.

Goresh
09-06-2017, 11:25
Does Fanatec give any guarantees it will work with future consoles or will it be the same song and dance when PS5 drops??

Trans-Girl
09-06-2017, 16:50
Does Fanatec give any guarantees it will work with future consoles or will it be the same song and dance when PS5 drops??

guess that will be down to sony and if they do ant exclusive deals for licensing like they have in the past

Sankyo
09-06-2017, 19:18
Exactly, Fanatec cannot guarantee anything if Sony decides that a PS4 license is not good enough for PS5.

Trans-Girl
09-06-2017, 20:50
Exactly, Fanatec cannot guarantee anything if Sony decides that a PS4 license is not good enough for PS5.

neither can logitech or thrustmaster..

dault3883
09-06-2017, 20:53
neither can logitech or thrustmaster..

wonder how many People will switch to Pc or xbox if proper licensing don't go through with Playstation

Trans-Girl
09-06-2017, 21:23
wonder how many People will switch to Pc or xbox if proper licensing don't go through with Playstation

may well be a cost thing, Pc is expensive and xbox........ shudder.....lol

dault3883
09-06-2017, 21:25
may well be a cost thing, Pc is expensive and xbox........ shudder.....lol

yea but at least you could play Ps5 games that you can get on pc with a wheel if Sony wont support them

Goresh
10-06-2017, 11:12

Exactly my point, there is zero motivation for anyone to buy yet another wheel that may or may not be used on future consoles. The fact that my current wheel works with Pcars and no other titles tells me Fanatec are just as guilty as Sony. Build a new wheel, yes I totally get that but take away support to sell that new wheel is just a low blow. None of this matters anyways, the choice was made and for me personally I can only fight back with my wallet. Which I plan on doing.

dault3883
10-06-2017, 11:16
Exactly my point, there is zero motivation for anyone to buy yet another wheel that may or may not be used on future consoles. The fact that my current wheel works with Pcars and no other titles tells me Fanatec are just as guilty as Sony. Build a new wheel, yes I totally get that but take away support to sell that new wheel is just a low blow. None of this matters anyways, the choice was made and for me personally I can only fight back with my wallet. Which I plan on doing.

any thoughts of getting a fanatics wheel i had are gone now

hkraft300
10-06-2017, 15:28
any thoughts of getting a fanatics wheel i had are gone now

But it's so pretty!

I won't get one for PS.
Maybe when I build a PC.

dault3883
10-06-2017, 17:53
But it's so pretty!

I won't get one for PS.
Maybe when I build a PC.

if they wont support their wheels and have no loyalty to their customers than i wont waste my money on them

Sankyo
10-06-2017, 18:15
I'm sorry, despite this having been explained numerous times you still seem to misunderstand the power of Fanatec in this. Sony decides which hardware is allowed to be supported on PS and in PS games. Controller support is fully incorporated in games on PS, so if a game does not support a controller, it's because either the game developer chose not to support it, or they were not allowed to by Sony.

The only thing you can 'accuse' Fanatec of is trusting that they would never need a licence from Sony in order to have Fanatec hardware supported in games. PS4 hardware did not need a licence in the past from Sony and Sony allowed unlicensed hardware to be supported, but suddenly they closed the door. There is no support that Fanatec took away, game developers are not allowed anymore by Sony to support unlicensed hardware. That's why Assetto Corsa suddenly did not support Fanatec wheels anymore after an update. Not sure how you can blame Fanatec for that...

Goresh
10-06-2017, 20:42
I'm sorry, despite this having been explained numerous times you still seem to misunderstand the power of Fanatec in this. Sony decides which hardware is allowed to be supported on PS and in PS games. Controller support is fully incorporated in games on PS, so if a game does not support a controller, it's because either the game developer chose not to support it, or they were not allowed to by Sony.

The only thing you can 'accuse' Fanatec of is trusting that they would never need a licence from Sony in order to have Fanatec hardware supported in games. PS4 hardware did not need a licence in the past from Sony and Sony allowed unlicensed hardware to be supported, but suddenly they closed the door. There is no support that Fanatec took away, game developers are not allowed anymore by Sony to support unlicensed hardware. That's why Assetto Corsa suddenly did not support Fanatec wheels anymore after an update. Not sure how you can blame Fanatec for that...

I blame Fanatec for not supporting it's customers better but then again why would they? They want me to buy another wheel. I trust you understand that.

bradleyland
10-06-2017, 22:27
Everyone has their own prerogative, but the facts lay out like this.

Timeline (in chronological order)

Sony releases PS4 with a loose licensing policy for racing wheels.

Fanatec Wheel support is included by some developers, but because Sony has no official licensing policy, there is no universal supported wheel list.

Some wheel developers (namely Thrustmaster and Logitech) take the option to license their wheels, even though it is not required.

Sony changes its policy, and now requires licensing for all input devices.

==========

IMO, and it is simply an opinion (based on the facts above), is that Sony is primarily to blame for horribly managing their own platform. Fanatec is partly to blame, because they're the only wheel manufacturers who didn't see this coming. Thrustmaster and Logitech saw the writing on the wall.

Fanatec made a foolish decision, IMO, but Sony is the one to stuck it to their customers with the policy change. Fanatec didn't "pull" support, Sony did. So if you're going to be angry at anyone, start with the company that is at the root of it all: Sony.

hkraft300
11-06-2017, 02:30
I'm sorry, despite this having been explained numerous times you still seem to misunderstand the power of Fanatec in this. Sony decides which hardware is allowed to be supported on PS and in PS games.

Sony changes its policy, and now requires licensing for all input devices.

=========

Fanatec didn't "pull" support, Sony did.

I blame Fanatec
I trust you understand that.

:rolleyes:

Sankyo
11-06-2017, 06:21
I blame Fanatec for not supporting it's customers better but then again why would they? They want me to buy another wheel. I trust you understand that.
You can only blame them if you make a solid argument that they could have supported their customers better, so please elaborate. "They should have acquired a licence from the start" doesn't count, as Sony didn't require them to have one and never said they would have to at some point in the future.

Goresh
11-06-2017, 12:20
The new license could have easily included the wheels that already worked, how flippin hard is that to understand?? But again why would Fanatec do that, they are the ones to benefit from the sale of a new wheel. It's this point that made me disappointed in Fanatecs actions in this matter. At this point I'm done trying to explain, you clearly are to obtuse to see my point and frankly I no longer care if my wheel works on the PS4.

hkraft300
11-06-2017, 13:37
The new license could have easily included the wheels that already worked, how flippin hard is that to understand??

Have you noticed how XB or PS licensed hardware has platform- specific buttons and logos?
The Logitech G29 and G920 wheels are essentially the same. Just that one has shift lights and PS buttons, the other has XB buttons.
I wonder what that's about.

dault3883
11-06-2017, 14:36
Have you noticed how XB or PS licensed hardware has platform- specific buttons and logos?
The Logitech G29 and G920 wheels are essentially the same. Just that one has shift lights and PS buttons, the other has XB buttons.
I wonder what that's about.

the G29 also has the + and - buttons and the radial red turn button with the center button and the share and Playstation logo button while the 920 doesnt

hkraft300
11-06-2017, 15:01

You know the new Fanatec PS4 wheel has a PS button too :D

Sankyo
11-06-2017, 17:37
The new license could have easily included the wheels that already worked, how flippin hard is that to understand?? But again why would Fanatec do that, they are the ones to benefit from the sale of a new wheel. It's this point that made me disappointed in Fanatecs actions in this matter. At this point I'm done trying to explain, you clearly are to obtuse to see my point and frankly I no longer care if my wheel works on the PS4.
Fanatec asked for old bases to be made compatible through a licensed HUB, and Sony denied.

The only one being obtuse here is you, since you obviously haven't informed yourself at all about the situation but have your mind already made up that Fanatec is just a greedy company wanting to sell new hardware to all PS4 owners. It's been explained on the Fanatec forums and here as well that this was the only allowed route by Sony. Fanatec has more to gain from keeping their loyal user base happy by securing old hardware compatible/licensed than from having to tell them they should buy new hardware, but Sony didn't want to hear about that.