PDA

View Full Version : 24HR Race - Frozen in Pits

DanBeats90
21-05-2017, 15:58
Hi guys, hoping somebody can help me with this. I've been trying to recreate a few 24hr races in Single Race Mode, starting with the Dubai 24hrs. I've been using the AI driver to help with the workload and then at the end of the day I am putting my PS4 in to rest mode. I've tried it twice now and on both occasions it has frozen after several hours, both times when I have come in to the pits and clicked 'Swap Driver'. It freezes at the exact moment the car should be released for the stop, i.e. when the mechanic starts to move out the way. Any ideas why this is and whether there is a workaround? Thanks in advance.

dault3883
21-05-2017, 16:06
Hi guys, hoping somebody can help me with this. I've been trying to recreate a few 24hr races in Single Race Mode, starting with the Dubai 24hrs. I've been using the AI driver to help with the workload and then at the end of the day I am putting my PS4 in to rest mode. I've tried it twice now and on both occasions it has frozen after several hours, both times when I have come in to the pits and clicked 'Swap Driver'. It freezes at the exact moment the car should be released for the stop, i.e. when the mechanic starts to move out the way. Any ideas why this is and whether there is a workaround? Thanks in advance.

Could your system be over heating? I remember playing some 24 hour races on PS2 on Gran turismo games and Le Mans 24 Hours games a long time ago. I had to put a fan right in front of the PS2, and put it on max force feeding it cool air to keep it cool so it wouldnt overheat.

DanBeats90
21-05-2017, 16:36
Could be, although the first time it froze was straight out of rest mode (which shouldn't have been hot) plus if it is due to overheating it's massively coincidental that it's frozen at exactly the same moment during a pitstop. Thanks for the suggestions though! Might try sticking a fan in front of my PS4.

dault3883
21-05-2017, 16:38
Could be, although the first time it froze was straight out of rest mode (which shouldn't have been hot) plus if it is due to overheating it's massively coincidental that it's frozen at exactly the same moment during a pitstop. Thanks for the suggestions though! Might try sticking a fan in front of my PS4.

i hope they put a save feature in the pits on pcars 2 like they had on Le Mans 24 Hours that would be better

DanBeats90
21-05-2017, 16:43
Yeah I couldn't agree more!

hkraft300
22-05-2017, 02:38
Don't put it in rest mode. Turn off the power-saving auto-off/rest modes in settings.
Pause/ leave it running while you're away.

dault3883
22-05-2017, 02:39
Don't put it in rest mode. Turn off the power-saving auto-off/rest modes in settings.

but leave a fan infront of it just incase ;)

DanBeats90
22-05-2017, 08:13

Could try that. Only issue is I am unsure of leaving my PS4 whilst at work, etc. What, if any, are the fire risks? Also I'm assuming if I leave it on the cost of my electricity bill might take some explaining to the missus! Has anybody else had any experience of doing this that can reassure me?

hkraft300
22-05-2017, 08:41
If it's in a open place, it won't overheat. It has measures to shut itself off.
It won't overheat so much to catch fire. There's no fire risk.
Also you'd have to leave it running for weeks for your gf to notice the bill.

DanBeats90
22-05-2017, 20:59
If it's in a open place, it won't overheat. It has measures to shut itself off.
It won't overheat so much to catch fire. There's no fire risk.
Also you'd have to leave it running for weeks for your gf to notice the bill.

Ah right, fair enough. Thanks for the advice!

Just out of interest, what is it about rest mode that makes the game freeze then? Is that a Project Cars problem or a PS4 problem?

hkraft300
23-05-2017, 00:02
Ah right, fair enough. Thanks for the advice!

Just out of interest, what is it about rest mode that makes the game freeze then? Is that a Project Cars problem or a PS4 problem?

Couldn't tell you. I'm not a developer.
Project cars is processor-intensive. It pushes the ps4 system at/over 99%.
Rest mode = sleep mode, minimal activity, minimal power. It's good for downloading/updating in the background and that's about it.

Schnizz58
23-05-2017, 04:16
The same problem (or one very similar to it) exists in the Xbox world too. I don't use sleep mode at all; the box is either on or off. Sorta like my throttle.

hkraft300
23-05-2017, 08:54
Are there other titles you can pause or run, and hit sleep/rest mode mid-game, then continue as before?

DanBeats90
30-05-2017, 13:01

Okay so tried this and - shock horror - it froze again! Seriously frustrated now - why have the ability to race 24hr races in a game if the console isn't up to the job?!

Mahjik
30-05-2017, 13:13
Okay so tried this and - shock horror - it froze again! Seriously frustrated now - why have the ability to race 24hr races in a game if the console isn't up to the job?!

Because if they excluded it, then PS4 owners would complain about not getting all of the same capabilities as the other platforms. Any simulation type game will have a hard time dealing with a system going into sleep or hibernation. To be honest, those modes are really for bypassing the system startup, not really for saving/holding game state.

DanBeats90
30-05-2017, 13:21
Because if they excluded it, then PS4 owners would complain about not getting all of the same capabilities as the other platforms. Any simulation type game will have a hard time dealing with a system going into sleep or hibernation. To be honest, those modes are really for bypassing the system startup, not really for saving/holding game state.

What I mean is this time in played it and just paused when I needed a break, as opposed to put the console in to rest mode, and it still froze in the same spot, i.e. as the mechanic moves to release you from the pits. Got further than I had previously though! About 12 hours in to a 24 hr race. Can anybody who has successfully run full 24 races with the helpeople of the AI tell me how they did it? Maybe there's something I'm doing/not doing that's causing it to crash.

FYI I was running a 30 car, GT3 race at Dubai GP.

Mahjik
30-05-2017, 14:18
I am going to move this to the PS4 section as members posting about doing 24 hour races with PC's won't help.

Schnizz58
30-05-2017, 16:20
What I mean is this time in played it and just paused when I needed a break, as opposed to put the console in to rest mode, and it still froze in the same spot, i.e. as the mechanic moves to release you from the pits.
Does the game completely freeze, as in no audio, game doesn't respond to inputs, etc.? The reason I ask this is that every once in a while, when I go to exit the pits, the lollypop guy doesn't release me. The workaround is to hit the menu button and then select return to pits and then go again. But if the game is unresponsive, that's obviously not going to work.

hkraft300
30-05-2017, 16:39
This happens to me during practice/FP/qualifying.
Like the garage guy has to "reset".
I have to go in to car setup, back out and the lollipop/trolley guy does a little jump then off we go.

dault3883
30-05-2017, 23:43
Just another reason i prefer PC