PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating getting driving wheel.

TorTorden
23-05-2017, 12:53
I'm just loathe to play with a gamepad or anything else really, so honestly haven't done any racing games whatsoever.
In the past I have been giving things a go, like Gran turismo etc, but five minutes with a gamepad and yeah, I'm done.
It's just not how you operate a car, even a virtual one.

So thinking of getting a wheel to compliment my Rift CV1.

So far the choice is the Thrustmaster T150 or the Logitech g920, there is a sale on the G920 this week so it's basically the same price.
I am somewhat currently leaning towards the G920.

dault3883
23-05-2017, 12:59
I'm just loathe to play with a gamepad or anything else really, so honestly haven't done any racing games whatsoever.
In the past I have been giving things a go, like Gran turismo etc, but five minutes with a gamepad and yeah, I'm done.

So far the choice is the Thrustmaster T150 or the Logitech g920, there is a sale on the G920 this week so it's basically the same price.

Get the Logitech G29 its the PS3/PS4 wheel but it will work on PC its what i use on the pc. It has a few more buttons the G920 doesnt have, and it has shift lights which the G920 also doesnt have. Its inexpensive enough to bee a good starter wheel you can always upgrade to a better wheel later on if you want.

Olijke Poffer
23-05-2017, 13:00
If the price is the same I would definitely go for the Logitch g920. I have a T150 pro with T3PA pedals and I'm very happy with it although I believe the G920 is a better wheel.

dault3883
23-05-2017, 13:04
Enough said the G29 is better than the G920. You got starter and ignition and pause menu buttons on the G29 all where the xbox logo is on the 920. you also have the plus and minus buttons or the rotory button for your brake bias. I use the button inside the red rotary button for my change view button.

TorTorden
23-05-2017, 13:15
Brilliant.
That's why you ask questions in forums :D
The pics are glaringly obivous indeed and definitely more buttons is the better.
It even seems the g29 is available for the same price this week as the G920 exactly same price.

Now follow up question.
Do I also splurge and get the shifter ?

dault3883
23-05-2017, 13:23
Brilliant.
That's why you ask questions in forums :D
The pics are glaringly obivous indeed and definitely more buttons is the better.
It even seems the g29 is available for the same price this week as the G920 exactly same price.

Now follow up question.
Do I also splurge and get the shifter ?

you dont need to both have paddle shifters but you can if you want to honestly i dont have it i use automatic in game. Crucify me if you want i dont care.

TorTorden
23-05-2017, 13:27
you dont need to both have paddle shifters but you can if you want to honestly i dont have it i use automatic in game. Crucify me if you want i dont care.

Sounds fine, only thing I know is I'd be playing as laid back as possible :P

No, I wouldn't crucify you, I don't even think less of you.there are plenty of cases where an automatic is brilliant.
It's already going to be a bit of a guilty, hide in the corner, type purchase since I already this month succumbed and upgraded my GPU :S

So if I don't really need it I don't need it.

dault3883
23-05-2017, 13:29
Sounds fine, only thing I know is I'd be playing as laid back as possible :P

No, I wouldn't crucify you, I don't even think less of you.there are plenty of cases where an automatic is brilliant.
It's already going to be a bit of a guilty, hide in the corner, type purchase since I already this month succumbed and upgraded my GPU :S

So if I don't really need it I don't need it.

i wasnt refering to u crucifying me its the others LOL

Most racecars these days have paddle shifters anyways at least in sports cars and open wheel unless its a gt4 car

TorTorden
23-05-2017, 13:39
Right, well that I can't help, the opinionated nerds on the internet that is.

Order has been placed for a G29 so here's hoping I can find a place for it :P

Now late lunch, while I catch up on The grand tour.

dault3883
23-05-2017, 13:44
Right, well that I can't help, the opinionated nerds on the internet that is.

Order has been placed for a G29 so here's hoping I can find a place for it :P

Now late lunch, while I catch up on The grand tour.

im glad i could help and hope you like the G29 as much as i do

TorTorden
23-05-2017, 13:55
Hope it helps with enjoying car racing games, best I have had so far is game console controllers.
Those are fine for GTA and Batman games.

Hmm I suppose I shall have to buy the game now.. ;)

dault3883
23-05-2017, 14:09
Hope it helps with enjoying car racing games, best I have had so far is game console controllers.
Those are fine for GTA and Batman games.

Hmm I suppose I shall have to buy the game now.. ;)

or pre order Pcars2

Mahjik
23-05-2017, 14:17
or pre order Pcars2

Both! He needs something soon to use his new wheel, but yes pre-ordering PC2 would also be a great idea. ;)

dault3883
23-05-2017, 14:18
Both! He needs something soon to use his new wheel, but yes pre-ordering PC2 would also be a great idea. ;)

yes you have to get both and all of the dlc's for pcars1 too

TorTorden
23-05-2017, 14:19
or pre order Pcars2

Well one first then the other ;)
Guessing cars2 are still a few months off.

dault3883
23-05-2017, 14:22
Well one first then the other ;)
Guessing cars2 are still a few months off.

not till the end of 2017 but you can pre order it now from the uk on amazon

go check out the thread "preorder"

hkraft300
23-05-2017, 14:51
Jumping straight in the deep end! Good stuff.
This forum has (or has links to) everything you want or need for sim racing, plus some.
We can show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Know a few guys who use h-shifter exclusively (GT3, LMP, open wheel, no F given), just for more clutch-kicking fun. They're no faster with it but they enjoy it and that's what matters. If you're a stick shift guy, you'll love it.

dault3883
23-05-2017, 15:00
Jumping straight in the deep end! Good stuff.
This forum has (or has links to) everything you want or need for sim racing, plus some.
We can show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Know a few guys who use h-shifter exclusively (GT3, LMP, open wheel, no F given), just for more clutch-kicking fun. They're no faster with it but they enjoy it and that's what matters. If you're a stick shift guy, you'll love it.

yep were all here for each other. and with that said Wheres my Commission LOL JK

BullWinkle
24-05-2017, 16:32
yep were all here for each other. and with that said Wheres my Commission LOL JK

Here ya go.

:)

dault3883
24-05-2017, 17:08
Here ya go.

Thanks Bullwinkle wheres rocky LOL JK

BullWinkle
24-05-2017, 20:11
Had to ground him, his eyes were getting bad, kept on flying into things...think he had a alcohol problem too.

dault3883
24-05-2017, 20:19
Had to ground him, his eyes were getting bad, kept on flying into things...think he had a alcohol problem too.

LMAO i couldnt resist asking

Alfisti
25-05-2017, 14:35
I too am eyeing off a wheel. The pad i could live with except it is very hard to take long corner (always flicking the direction button) and worse i straction because the gas is an on/off switch, there's no feathering.

dault3883
25-05-2017, 14:42
I too am eyeing off a wheel. The pad i could live with except it is very hard to take long corner (always flicking the direction button) and worse i straction because the gas is an on/off switch, there's no feathering.

again i recommend the Logitech G29 if you are looking at a decent start off wheel a lot of people use em and its got more button options than its sister the G920

Alfisti
25-05-2017, 14:45
So how do you guys mount the thing? My PS4 is in my family room so yeah, i need a small table to play now? Do the pedals bite into carpet and stay put?

hkraft300
25-05-2017, 14:50
So how do you guys mount the thing? My PS4 is in my family room so yeah, i need a small table to play now? Do the pedals bite into carpet and stay put?

That's how I do it.
Wheel on a cheap little Ikea desk I can put away.
Wheel mount clamps are strong, built in to the wheel base.
Or you can get a wheel stand.
Pedals stay put on tiles and carpet, but if you have strong legs the pedals will get away from you during braking. OR, you can calibrate brakes for less pedal pressure.

dault3883
25-05-2017, 14:58

Yes the pedals do bite into the carpet they have a piece that has Hundreds of tiny teeth that can be released to bite into the carpet or pushed back up in if you mount them to something. The steering wheel has clamps that can clamp to a coffee table if its high enough and not too thick in the ledge

There are also tons of Steering wheel pedal stands out there like the one in the link below some more expensive and some cheaper than this one this was just a good example of one

https://www.amazon.com/Steering-Wheel-Stand-Pro-included/dp/B004AYMCRG

The picture below isnt of the actual pedal units bottom but the carpet claw piece you see is the same one thats on my G29 pedal unit

Mahjik
25-05-2017, 17:31

Something that might interest you:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?50423-Use-your-gaming-wheel-on-your-couch!-New-product-just-launched

Roger Prynne
25-05-2017, 17:33

You want one of these... it's about the cheapest rig you can buy.

https://www.boysstuff.co.uk/gaming-chairs/playseat-gaming-chairs/playseat-challenge-simulator-racing-gaming-chair/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=merchant-feed&utm_campaign=PlaySeat+Challenge+Simulator+Racing+Gaming+Chair&gclid=CjwKEAjwgZrJBRDS38GH1Kv_vGYSJAD8j4DfqZkEJ5b_P_HnQtSiNr6-Z9NCFaELk3tFT04fTnNiKBoCUPrw_wcB

dault3883
25-05-2017, 17:48
Something that might interest you:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?50423-Use-your-gaming-wheel-on-your-couch!-New-product-just-launched

only problem with that from what i see is its still a prototype looking for funding to produce

Olijke Poffer
25-05-2017, 20:28
Yeah I also have the playseat challenge and I love it. I'm not a hardcore sim racer but not a sitting on your back in a couch with a controller as well. So the playseat is a great rig for me.

dault3883
25-05-2017, 20:45
i have the Open Wheeler rig

Trans-Girl
25-05-2017, 21:18
The G29 is a good wheel, the pedals are far better than the thrustmaster offerings, the shifter, well tbh its not the best, it feels a bit naff and when you are racing, if you use manual, you will use the paddles...

dault3883
25-05-2017, 21:21
The G29 is a good wheel, the pedals are far better than the thrustmaster offerings, the shifter, well tbh its not the best, it feels a bit naff and when you are racing, if you use manual, you will use the paddles...

since i dont do manual i have my paddles set up for kers and drs

hkraft300
25-05-2017, 22:50
since i dont do manual i have my paddles set up for kers and drs

Try manual. Set a button for auto clutch. It'll only take a few laps to get up to speed.

dault3883
25-05-2017, 23:02
Try manual. Set a button for auto clutch. It'll only take a few laps to get up to speed.

then i have no where for kers or drs thats why i reassigned them for the paddles was so i can use them

at least untill my Ricmotech Button box comes in the mail after that ill try it promise

Alfisti
26-05-2017, 01:05
Turning into an expensive pain in the arse.

dault3883
26-05-2017, 01:12

my advice get the G29 and go to ur local second hand store and get a small desk or table you can use for now you can always get a permanent rig later

TorTorden
30-05-2017, 20:34
Been strugling with an intense fever and cold past week, so even though I had the game I haven't been able to play much.
And with an xbx controller, yeah honestly I found this game as expected to be nigh on unplayable.

Got the wheel today and had a bit of trial on the Nurburgring, trying to ease myself in so picked what looked to be some of the most normal cars in the game, the R8.
And boy what a transformation. I can't drive for bat guano but still this is Amazeballs!
Plan forward is to recouperate some more, then bang something together so I can get the most use out of it.
Bolting it to the desk is not really stable enough in my opinion.

I'm only buying this, mostly cause I want to drive some cars, but also to justify all the insane money I have spent on Elite Dangerous...
Hotas,
new screen,
new gpu to run it,
Eye\Gazetracker,
Vive, and then a rift cause vr is too awesome.
then a new cpu to improve vr performance, followed by faster RAM, and a new GPU AGAIN! ...

Yeah, I'm single now....

Not to mention all this need to be rigged.
Luckily 2x4"s and planks of board are cheap, and it really isn't brain surgery to get it together, kind of like lego, only this time you just cut the pieces to fit.

hkraft300
30-05-2017, 23:01
Get well soon.

Next minute: button box, load cell brakes...

dault3883
30-05-2017, 23:38
Get well soon.

Next minute: button box, load cell brakes...

and then you realize you have all this nice stuff but its all still attached to a DIY rig and decide to get a Legit rig that looks just as nice as every thing else LOL

morpwr
31-05-2017, 01:22
Wait until you really get hooked and start looking at 800 dollar pedals and 1000 dollar plus direct drive wheels.:) I'm half way there....

hkraft300
31-05-2017, 04:05
and then you realize you have all this nice stuff but its all still attached to a DIY rig and decide to get a Legit rig that looks just as nice as every thing else LOL

DIY can be better even if it's from timber. If you're handy with a tape and saw you can make to perfectly to your needs.
Besides a G29 isn't so strong. My wobbly little Ikea desk KS plenty for it.

Wait until you really get hooked and start looking at 800 dollar pedals and 1000 dollar plus direct drive wheels.:) I'm half way there....

Then there are transducers and motion rigs...

Konan
31-05-2017, 06:06

Where? Divorce? :p

hkraft300
31-05-2017, 06:19

Na he's just underestimated.
Wheel $1000 + gift for the Mrs $1000 = $2000 :rolleyes:

Olijke Poffer
31-05-2017, 06:55
LoL I'm just happy I could persuade her so I could buy a T150 Pro and a playseat challenge. More than I hoped for. So a multiple thousand dollar setup is way out of budget for me. I'm happy what I have as I'm not a hardcore sim racer. I race only a few hours per week. I'm afraid when I buy such hardcore setup I will never do anything else than sim racing. I smell a divorce lurking around the corner..... :rolleyes:

morpwr
31-05-2017, 10:42
DIY can be better even if it's from timber. If you're handy with a tape and saw you can make to perfectly to your needs.
Besides a G29 isn't so strong. My wobbly little Ikea desk KS plenty for it.

Then there are transducers and motion rigs...

I have the transducer lol but the motion rig is going to have to wait.

morpwr
31-05-2017, 10:44

Already did that once. I got a better one the second time.lol I will say shes pretty awesome and can kick my ass at call of duty.

morpwr
31-05-2017, 10:49
Na he's just underestimated.
Wheel $1000 + gift for the Mrs $1000 = $2000 :rolleyes:

You just have to go about it the right way. Like when I wanted a vr headset. I told her If I get that you can have the tv back and you wont hear it anymore with the built in headset. It may have cost me a dinner or two also.:rolleyes: But that's not the worst thing in the world.

morpwr
31-05-2017, 10:53
LoL I'm just happy I could persuade here so I could by a T150 Pro and a playseat challenge. More than I hoped for. So a multiple thousand dollar setup is way out of budget for me. I'm happy what I have as I'm not a hardcore sim racer. I race only a few hours per week. I'm afraid when I buy such hardcore setup I will never do anything else than sim racing. I smell a divorce lurking around the corner..... :rolleyes:

As long as it doesn't interfere with the things you need to do I don't see a problem. I'm not big on watching tv so that's usually what I do at night and sometimes during the day if nothing is going on. We all need hobbies and sim racing is way less time consuming and cheaper then a real car. Plus she knows where to find me at night.;)

dault3883
31-05-2017, 11:27
As long as it doesn't interfere with the things you need to do I don't see a problem. I'm not big on watching tv so that's usually what I do at night and sometimes during the day if nothing is going on. We all need hobbies and sim racing is way less time consuming and cheaper then a real car. Plus she knows where to find me at night.;)

at least you and the mrs's have it figured out.

Olijke Poffer
31-05-2017, 12:04
Already did that once. I got a better one the second time.lol I will say shes pretty awesome and can kick my ass at call of duty.

Same over here.. :-)

Konan
31-05-2017, 12:25
Ditto....;)

Mahjik
31-05-2017, 12:49
I have the transducer lol but the motion rig is going to have to wait.

I had that discussion with my wife.. She said 'sure' to the motion rig..... as long as the race car is sold... So far, I prefer to keep the race car....

proterra1
31-05-2017, 15:02

I also play in my family room so this is what I use:

Easy, cheap, foldable, portable, sturdy, multipurpose...

morpwr
31-05-2017, 16:42
I had that discussion with my wife.. She said 'sure' to the motion rig..... as long as the race car is sold... So far, I prefer to keep the race car....

As much as I enjoyed racing it was a huge time commitment if you race every weekend. It was normally 2-3 nights a week between nut and bolting the car (you have to finish to win) and scaling it every week. Luckily the guy that drove/owned the car never wrecked it so I had it pretty easy. But between building the motors and everything else it was almost year round. At this point I'm happy to sim race.

TorTorden
31-05-2017, 17:29

I thought about diy, and I went the simple, not so clever route of just getting a wheelstand pro.
What really sinched it for me is, well I'm still not really all that into this and I suspect this thing will be move around a bit.
For instance I'm using it infront of my computer while dialing in and getting familiar with it.
Then I'm moving it over to my VR corner.
Sometimes though, quite probably want to move it over into the HT and play on the big screen with surround sound system there :D
Not to mention my brother in law, who is way more into these kind of games than I

So just being able to slap it down, stuff it under a desk or something, then grab it out and start playing seems worth it.
Granted I just picked the stand up today, and had a short play on it after setting up.

I still can't go manual, nor can I turn off any of the traction control, and still best I managed today was a 1.38.4 lap on Laguna Seca.
My next lap was 1.45, so I'm not thumping my chest anytime soon.

morpwr
31-05-2017, 18:55
I thought about diy, and I went the simple, not so clever route of just getting a wheelstand pro.
What really sinched it for me is, well I'm still not really all that into this and I suspect this thing will be move around a bit.
For instance I'm using it infront of my computer while dialing in and getting familiar with it.
Then I'm moving it over to my VR corner.
Sometimes though, quite probably want to move it over into the HT and play on the big screen with surround sound system there :D
Not to mention my brother in law, who is way more into these kind of games than I

So just being able to slap it down, stuff it under a desk or something, then grab it out and start playing seems worth it.
Granted I just picked the stand up today, and had a short play on it after setting up.

I still can't go manual, nor can I turn off any of the traction control, and still best I managed today was a 1.38.4 lap on Laguna Seca.
My next lap was 1.45, so I'm not thumping my chest anytime soon.

Just a suggestion but you will probably pick it up faster if you turn off the driving aids. Sure youll spin out some but it will come to you pretty fast. Just be easy with the throttle coming off corners until you learn how much is too much and my guess is within a short time it will feel natural.

bradleyland
31-05-2017, 20:45
Just a suggestion but you will probably pick it up faster if you turn off the driving aids. Sure youll spin out some but it will come to you pretty fast. Just be easy with the throttle coming off corners until you learn how much is too much and my guess is within a short time it will feel natural.

I'd reiterate this. The driving aids really mask mistakes. Smooth is fast, and the stability control (in particular) will mask a lot of "lack of smoothness".

What really helped me was mapping keyboard keys to ABS and TC, so I could turn them on/off without exiting to menus.

TorTorden
01-06-2017, 11:07

No i wont.

I would.only stop playing faster.

Olijke Poffer
01-06-2017, 11:40
I have all drive assist Off and set to real. Best experience for me.. it is just a lot of fun fighting to keep te car on track. Not all cars though. The most GT3 cars are glued to the road.

morpwr
01-06-2017, 11:55
No i wont.

I would.only stop playing faster.

Like I said it was only a suggestion. But the only real difference is your using the driving aid to cover up you giving to much throttle. Which in the long run teaches bad habits because you will always rely on it. I know everyone wants to jump in the fastest cars right away but if you start with some cars that are easier to drive(lower hp ) it will probably help.

hkraft300
01-06-2017, 13:24
Slow cars with no assist are so much fun with a wheel.
Road C/D, G40, rookie etc all deserve much more time.
When they let go, they do so almost in slow motion and are so easy to catch and correct when you're hooning about.
But when you're gunning for lap times, they reward precision, smoothness to maintain momentum, and when you make a mistake you see it, learn it and correct it.
Fast cars can spin backwards into the wall so quickly you don't realise (therefore can't analyse and learn) what your mistake was.

morpwr
01-06-2017, 13:35
Slow cars with no assist are so much fun with a wheel.
Road C/D, G40, rookie etc all deserve much more time.
When they let go, they do so almost in slow motion and are so easy to catch and correct when you're hooning about.
But when you're gunning for lap times, they reward precision, smoothness to maintain momentum, and when you make a mistake you see it, learn it and correct it.
Fast cars can spin backwards into the wall so quickly you don't realise (therefore can't analyse and learn) what your mistake was.

Well said. I still lose a gt3 once in a while when I'm pushing hard. All it takes is to step over the edge and its over. Theres usually no catching it. But I don't feel so bad about it because even pro drivers do it occasionally.

hkraft300
01-06-2017, 14:59
Oh for sure.
GT3 cars have serious speed. I find the LMP2 cars easier to drive fast - they have more grip and less weight.
In saying that: GT3 cars have so much grip I feel assists are almost redundant, especially in a long race where you're trying to save tyres it's no good to trigger the assists at every turn.
There's the competitive race driver in us all, but even race drivers wouldn't do it if they don't enjoy it.
Turn the assists off and take the rocket bunny round for some e-skids.

morpwr
01-06-2017, 15:10
Oh for sure.
GT3 cars have serious speed. I find the LMP2 cars easier to drive fast - they have more grip and less weight.
In saying that: GT3 cars have so much grip I feel assists are almost redundant, especially in a long race where you're trying to save tyres it's no good to trigger the assists at every turn.
There's the competitive race driver in us all, but even race drivers wouldn't do it if they don't enjoy it.
Turn the assists off and take the rocket bunny round for some e-skids.

That's one of my favorites in pcars.

hkraft300
01-06-2017, 17:19
That's one of my favorites in pcars.

Therapeutic.

Diamond_Eyes
02-06-2017, 07:36

Thrustmaster T700

but the 700 might be a mod towards the $$ price tag....