PDA

View Full Version : SSD: SATA V PCIe drives

RU486
23-05-2017, 22:14
My older SSD drive failed to boot yesterday(RIP), a cheaper one, but never the less very frustrating.

My Question is based on real world use, I have a older pc (as per sig) which I only use to play PCars.

from my limited understanding using a SSD with PCIe X16(3.0) slot is faster than using SATA (3) drive. However, my motherboard only has 1 PCIex16(3) which my graphics card uses. I have a spare PCIex4(2.0)

If specs are correct theoretically, SATA has a bandwidth of 600mb/s and PCIe(2.0) a bandwidth 500mb/s per lane [500 x4=2gb/s]. then PCIex4(2.0) should be a lot faster in transferring bi-directional data.

In the real world, is this the case?

note: I will only have 1 SSD drive, so the OS will also access the same drive

Part2:
Win 8.1 v Win10
I have my original WIn8.1 from which I updated to Win10, should I stay with 8.1 and give win10 a miss when I reinstall. I have nothing but issues with 10, again I don't use the Pc for anything else than Pcars

regards

RU

TorTorden
24-05-2017, 05:46
Depends I guess, in my experience regular 500MB/s SATA ssd's are plenty good for your chipset.

And if those are cheaper then all the better, maybe you can get a larger drive as well.
I'm seeing a lot of 250gb drives for around 90-100, with TAX, (I'm just ballparking it from my currency)

A lot of the M.2/pcie drives start at similar price and size but are no faster than the regular SATA based ones or half the size.

As for speeds in general, if your gear is ok you really shouldn't notice it all that much.
I have tested with my regular ssd and old hard drives and the difference in load times for games are miniscule at best.

As for win 10 most issues inhale had with 10 had been fixed with a clean install or a refresh.
And I suspect since you have upgraded already MS will start downloading ten in the background, taking up both space ans bandwidth, and keep nagging at you to update again.

RU486
24-05-2017, 07:01
Ty for ur reply,

Price wise, it's about the same here, street price's r around $220 inc tax for a SSD 500gb give or take, PCIe +5%ish.

Im not bothered about boot times nor, game load times. I guess it's about future upgrades, the original plan was to keep this system running till the second generation VR come out and then I was looking to upgrade the whole system. But alas my drive died.

I know my biggest bottleneck at the moment is my i5 CPU and the 1600mhz ram, (not to mention the graphics card, slap, i said not to mention it, lol), but the reason for some advice/info was when I do a major updtae I'm like then to keep the H/D I'm about to buy, so I'm looking to get the best SSD option now.

RU

RU

cluck
24-05-2017, 13:29
Are you sure the price difference is only +5% for PCI-E? If that's the case then double-check it's not a SATA controller slapped onto a PCI-E card because, over here at least, proper NVMe PCI-E SSD drives are considerably more expensive than their SATA cousins :).

TorTorden
24-05-2017, 18:51
Are you sure the price difference is only +5% for PCI-E? If that's the case then double-check it's not a SATA controller slapped onto a PCI-E card because, over here at least, proper NVMe PCI-E SSD drives are considerably more expensive than their SATA cousins :).

This.
Make sure to read the specs and make more of the read/write speeds.
Most SATA ssd's are 500MB/s read and 250 write. And the cheaper pcie cards the same.
But the true M.2 drives have read/write at 3000/2400 MB/s but these are often half the size or twice the price as the SATA counterparts.

But is it really that important?
I'm running an old SATA 2 hard drive in my htpc, it's R/W at around 50MB/s ..
It is actually so slow at writing it's slowing down my download speeds.

But then again I have a 30/30MB/s connection :D

Sampo
24-05-2017, 19:49
For example, in my country a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB in M.2 form factor uses a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot and goes for about 250e and it's rated for 3200/1800 MB/s.
A Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD, 2.5", SATA III, 540/520 MB/s goes for 200e. So the price difference isn't that great.

TorTorden
24-05-2017, 20:09
Could always go for the M.2 then and move it over to the next system when you start it.

RU486
24-05-2017, 21:48

just checked and yes ur correct,

I viewed a 850 EVo MZ msata, its just as u say a sata on a PCIe slot, thank you for the advise,

The 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500Gb @$320au compared to $225au for the 850 SATA 500Gb
Ive also discovered the 250Gb 960 M.2 @ $175au, which might be a sound option at this point. I only run 1 game PCars anyway, when it comes time to upgrade Ill consider then a 2nd bigger drive.

Could always go for the M.2 then and move it over to the next system when you start it.

Yeap, thats the plan, the Samsung drives appear to be the best option atm

ty all again for ur input,

RU

RU486
25-05-2017, 05:44
Quick clarification with M.2,

will it plug/fit into a PCIe x4(2.0) slot. Upon checking with a retailer I was told I needed a M.2 slot on my motherboard, but I assumed a PCIe slot is a PCIe slot, just a little confused and don't want to purchase the wrong part

pic of PCIe slots on my board,

cluck
25-05-2017, 07:46
M.2 drives either need an appropriate M.2 slot on the motherboard or a PCI-E adapter board to fit onto (the Kingston Predator drives, for example are exactly that, a M.2 drive mounted to a PCI-E board). Although they work on the PCI-E interface, they are their own unique connector type, they don't fit straight into a PCI-E slot :)

RU486
25-05-2017, 21:18
Got it,

Ty for ur reply

RU