PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake for PC2

ramm21
23-05-2017, 23:15
So unlike our tarmac only PC1, in PC2 a handbrake will be a must for non-tarmac racing.

Looking at the DirtRally forums, it seems like the only option for a production handbrake is the Fanatec one. However, that one is $180 shipped to my place in the US and A (USB connector included in that price). I don't know about the rest, but paying the same price for 1 button is ridiculous when you consider a good H/Sequential shifter like the TH8A is the same price.

Anybody hear of any Thrustmaster or Logitech handbrakes coming out? Seems like there should be enough business for somebody other than Fanatec to make a standalone handbrake?

Browsing the Dirt forums, it looks like a lot of people are DIYing theirs. Obviously a lot of difference in the finished product across the board...

Another great idea is to use an old flight joystick and just map it as the handbrake. This might be what I try first, unless a reasonably priced (around $100 is max I would pay for 1 button) handbrake comes out. Has anybody done this?

I want to hear what people are planning on doing for handbrakes when PC2 comes out. Lets hear it!

dault3883
23-05-2017, 23:23
So unlike our tarmac only PC1, in PC2 a handbrake will be a must for non-tarmac racing.

Looking at the DirtRally forums, it seems like the only option for a production handbrake is the Fanatec one. However, that one is $180 shipped to my place in the US and A (USB connector included in that price). I don't know about the rest, but paying the same price for 1 button is ridiculous when you consider a good H/Sequential shifter like the TH8A is the same price.

Anybody hear of any Thrustmaster or Logitech handbrakes coming out? Seems like there should be enough business for somebody other than Fanatec to make a standalone handbrake?

Browsing the Dirt forums, it looks like a lot of people are DIYing theirs. Obviously a lot of difference in the finished product across the board...

Another great idea is to use an old flight joystick and just map it as the handbrake. This might be what I try first, unless a reasonably priced (around $100 is max I would pay for 1 button) handbrake comes out. Has anybody done this?

I want to hear what people are planning on doing for handbrakes when PC2 comes out. Lets hear it!

Dang it i thought i had finally finished my rig thanks for bursting that bubble....That being said

Derek Spears has some hand breaks too Fanatic isnt the only one out there you just have to look

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/handbrake.html

Mahjik
23-05-2017, 23:29
Derek's products are quite a bit more than $180 so I doubt that will make him any happier.. ;)

To the OP, the brakes are not button based so they are an axis typically (i.e. not necessarily an on/off switch).

dault3883
23-05-2017, 23:33
Derek's products are quite a bit more than $180 so I doubt that will make him any happier.. ;)

To the OP, the brakes are not button based so they are an axis typically (i.e. not necessarily an on/off switch).

could we use the clutch pedal if we use automatic

and my point wasnt over the price it was that fanatic isnt the only one that makes hand brakes

Mahjik
23-05-2017, 23:34
could we use the clutch pedal if we use automatic

You can map it to any button/axis you want in most titles. There will be some adjustment of the handbrake in the cars that support it for pC2 (so that button users aren't completely left out in the cold compared to those using hydraulic handbrakes).

ramm21
23-05-2017, 23:38
Dang it i thought i had finally finished my rig thanks for bursting that bubble....That being said

Derek Spears has some hand breaks too Fanatic isnt the only one out there you just have to look

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/handbrake.html

I guess its an option... but its kind of going the other way of my original post. Im looking for a simple, cheap handbrake, not a $425 stick without a cover that my 4 year old would take apart in 2 minutes.

dault3883
23-05-2017, 23:40
You can map it to any button/axis you want in most titles. There will be some adjustment of the handbrake in the cars that support it for pC2 (so that button users aren't completely left out in the cold compared to those using hydraulic handbrakes).

but do you believe that the clutch pedal would be a suitable replacement? Im trying to get your opinion on it or as Dale Jr said about Jimmy Elledge "im going to go pick by brother in laws brain" LOL

dault3883
23-05-2017, 23:41
I guess its an option... but its kind of going the other way of my original post. Im looking for a simple, cheap handbrake, not a $425 stick without a cover that my 4 year old would take apart in 2 minutes.

if you find something let me know LOL id probably want to buy one too.

ramm21
23-05-2017, 23:50

So I started rally with DirtRally on PS4. I used different buttons on the wheel, using paddle shifters and first gear as handbrake, etc... everything except for an actual handbrake.
IMO- Axis is best. On/off is second best. Mapping handbrake to wheel or not using a handbrake at all is by far the worst. Lack of a good handbrake is why I quit playing Dirt...
In short, I'll happily take an on/off handbrake over not having one.

Mahjik
24-05-2017, 01:47
but do you believe that the clutch pedal would be a suitable replacement? Im trying to get your opinion on it or as Dale Jr said about Jimmy Elledge "im going to go pick by brother in laws brain" LOL

It's all in what you can get used to... I've been using one of the buttons on my wheel just fine. So yes, you likely can use the clutch pedal as long as you don't need to use the handbrake, real brake and accelerator at the same time. ;)

So I started rally with DirtRally on PS4. I used different buttons on the wheel, using paddle shifters and first gear as handbrake, etc... everything except for an actual handbrake.
IMO- Axis is best. On/off is second best. Mapping handbrake to wheel or not using a handbrake at all is by far the worst. Lack of a good handbrake is why I quit playing Dirt...
In short, I'll happily take an on/off handbrake over not having one.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm just pointing out that you are getting more than an on/off switch with the purchase of a sim handbrake.

dault3883
24-05-2017, 01:57
It's all in what you can get used to... I've been using one of the buttons on my wheel just fine. So yes, you likely can use the clutch pedal as long as you don't need to use the handbrake, real brake and accelerator at the same time. ;)

I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm just pointing out that you are getting more than an on/off switch with the purchase of a sim handbrake.

ill probably try it with the button on the wheel then the clutch and if i still have problems ill go to the ebrake route

ramm21
24-05-2017, 02:00

Yep. I guess describing a handbrake as just 1 button is inadequate.

Maybe I was just frustrated at the fact that Logitech can sell FFB wheels for $300 like my G29 and plastic shifters for $50, yet they can't make a plastic handbrake for the same $50?

By the way I got inspired by your avatar and finally uploaded one myself :-)

dault3883
24-05-2017, 02:07
Yep. I guess describing a handbrake as just 1 button is inadequate.

Maybe I was just frustrated at the fact that Logitech can sell FFB wheels for $300 like my G29 and plastic shifters for $50, yet they can't make a plastic handbrake for the same $50?

Hand brakes are really beyond entry level sim racing. As much as i love my Logitech G29 thats all it is, an entry level wheel to test the waters. Will it do the job yes but if you want something fancy like a handbrake or a more intricate wheel and pedals you have to go to say Thrust master or Fanatic or others. every company has a core customer market and Logitech's core customer market simply for the most part either dont need or want a hand brake. At this time any ways.

My suggestion reach out to them either by email or on Facebook and let them know that you are frustrated and why. But be polite about it you get much farther with honey than vinegar.

VelvetTorpedo
24-05-2017, 02:52
I made an analog handbrake using an arduino, a potentiometer, and some BMX brakes/cable/brake lever. I'll post pix and the arduino code I used

Mahjik
24-05-2017, 03:43
By the way I got inspired by your avatar and finally uploaded one myself :-)

Thanks! It's actually an old pic from my old track car:

http://mahjik.homestead.com/files/FD_PICS/Track/NASA_2012_10_20/20121020-Topeka-1137-3.jpg

That was the last event it ran. Blew the motor showing a student how to chase down a Mosler:

http://mahjik.homestead.com/files/FD_PICS/Track/NASA_2012_10_20/20121020-Topeka-1156-3.jpg

:(

I need to update my avatar with something from my current race car:

http://mahjik.homestead.com/files/hosting/Honda/2017_04_Gateway/312A2998.jpg

;)

dault3883
24-05-2017, 03:48
Thanks! It's actually an old pic from my old track car:

http://mahjik.homestead.com/files/FD_PICS/Track/NASA_2012_10_20/20121020-Topeka-1137-3.jpg

That was the last event it ran. Blew the motor showing a student how to chase down a Mosler:

http://mahjik.homestead.com/files/FD_PICS/Track/NASA_2012_10_20/20121020-Topeka-1156-3.jpg

:(

I need to update my avatar with something from my current race car:

http://mahjik.homestead.com/files/hosting/Honda/2017_04_Gateway/312A2998.jpg

;)

you know its an old mazda when u see the old mazda logo beautiful car what did you do with it after the motor blew

Mahjik
24-05-2017, 03:49
you know its an old mazda when u see the old mazda logo beautiful car what did you do with it after the motor blew

Sold it and all the parts I had to a person on the east coast. Not sure what he did with it. I had two engines and enough parts (literally) to build a second RX7. He got a good deal as I sold it cheap at the time.

dault3883
24-05-2017, 03:51
Sold it and all the parts I had to a person on the east coast. Not sure what he did with it. I had two engines and enough parts (literally) to build a second RX7. He got a good deal as I sold it cheap at the time.

why didnt you just do an engine swap

ramm21
24-05-2017, 04:03
Hand brakes are really beyond entry level sim racing. As much as i love my Logitech G29 thats all it is, an entry level wheel to test the waters. Will it do the job yes but if you want something fancy like a handbrake or a more intricate wheel and pedals you have to go to say Thrust master or Fanatic or others. every company has a core customer market and Logitech's core customer market simply for the most part either dont need or want a hand brake. At this time any ways.

My suggestion reach out to them either by email or on Facebook and let them know that you are frustrated and why. But be polite about it you get much farther with honey than vinegar.

I agree that a handbrake is advanced for road racing (excluding drift). But even entry level racers will struggle on loose surfaces without a handbrake. I tried it multiple ways and there's just no substitute to pulling a lever. Like I said earlier, thats why I gave up on DirtRally, because there was no way to connect any handbrake to a G29 while I was still on PS4.
I actually did send Logitech an email back when DirtRally first came out asking if they had any plans to release a handbrake. They replied back with a canned email saying how they "are always working on new stuff and take suggestions, but meanwhile shop our existing catalog" or something like that.

dault3883
24-05-2017, 04:19
I agree that a handbrake is advanced for road racing (excluding drift). But even entry level racers will struggle on loose surfaces without a handbrake. I tried it multiple ways and there's just no substitute to pulling a lever. Like I said earlier, thats why I gave up on DirtRally, because there was no way to connect any handbrake to a G29 while I was still on PS4.
I actually did send Logitech an email back when DirtRally first came out asking if they had any plans to release a handbrake. They replied back with a canned email saying how they "are always working on new stuff and take suggestions, but meanwhile shop our existing catalog" or something like that.

typical scripted email blah blah blah blah

why dont they just say it? its not in the works right now but thanks for the suggestion....that being said id send them another one. Squeaky wheel gets the grease

sounds of it you need a USB hand brake...so do i for that matter along with another shifter mount to mount it to my open wheeler rig

Mahjik
24-05-2017, 04:28
why didnt you just do an engine swap

Tired of building engines.

dault3883
24-05-2017, 04:30
Tired of building engines.

it kept blowing em up?

Mahjik
24-05-2017, 13:08
it kept blowing em up?

They are temperamental engines. However, when you build 1-2 engines per year for 8 years; it gets old.

dault3883
24-05-2017, 13:11
They are temperamental engines. However, when you build 1-2 engines per year for 8 years; it gets old.

i see what you mean. I havent heard that many good things about rotary engines to be honest

Mahjik
24-05-2017, 13:22
i see what you mean. I havent heard that many good things about rotary engines to be honest

They are fantastic non-boosted. If I could have gotten a 3-rotor conversion done, I'd still have it. However, running cars hard on a track is going to ruin an engine sooner or later. For instance, after several good years, my Honda engine is now damaged and will require a rebuild. However, at least I had several years of use rather than two or three events. ;)

dault3883
24-05-2017, 13:45
They are fantastic non-boosted. If I could have gotten a 3-rotor conversion done, I'd still have it. However, running cars hard on a track is going to ruin an engine sooner or later. For instance, after several good years, my Honda engine is now damaged and will require a rebuild. However, at least I had several years of use rather than two or three events. ;)

agreed go smuggle an indy car honda motor away from indy and put it in that s2000 LOL

VelvetTorpedo
24-05-2017, 13:46
This guy shows how to make one for cheap using an Arduino also. The good thing about his is that out of the box his is basically plug and play. My version I had to use some code and reflash my Arduino Uno to show up as a joystick input and then fake it. It works amazing but its just harder to set up. I still plan on uploading my way that uses UnoJoy if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv0FTpRLFMY

He also has this vibrating pedal setup I want to make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aLqqcEaUVk

dault3883
24-05-2017, 13:52
This guy shows how to make one for cheap using an Arduino also. The good thing about his is that out of the box his is basically plug and play. My version I had to use some code and reflash my Arduino Uno to show up as a joystick input and then fake it. It works amazing but its just harder to set up. I still plan on uploading my way that uses UnoJoy if interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv0FTpRLFMY

He also has this vibrating pedal setup I want to make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aLqqcEaUVk

If im going to get something i dont want to have to make it im horrible at working on electronics. I dont understand any of that flashing and all you just talked about.

ramm21
29-05-2017, 18:16
So I just picked up an x3d Pro joystick from Best Buy. Will give it a go and see if I can get it to work. The base is pretty big, and it doesn't have any mounting capabilities... I'll report back after I play around with it for a bit

fjacobsen
21-12-2017, 19:26
I'm mostly a flightsimmer, so I got a CH-Product Throttle Quadrant attached on the left side of my TM 150 steering wheel.
I use the rightmost lever as a handbrake with a rubberband to pull it upwards to it upper stop when released - works great apart from me sucking to frive Rallycross.

crowhop
21-12-2017, 19:59
Will there be a calibration function added for the Handbrake in an upcoming patch?

As it is, having a nice handbrake is no different than having a button mapped on a wheel. This is a major aspect missing in Rally for pcars2 at the moment.

Mahjik
21-12-2017, 20:34
Will there be a calibration function added for the Handbrake in an upcoming patch?

As it is, having a nice handbrake is no different than having a button mapped on a wheel. This is a major aspect missing in Rally for pcars2 at the moment.

In the car setup, for cars with handbrakes you adjust the sensitivity there.

Ossnott
21-12-2017, 21:05
The Thrustmaster TH8A shifter can be used as a analog hand brake.
I guess it's not as much resistance as with a purpose built hand brake. But works good enough for me.

ramm21
21-12-2017, 21:53
So I just picked up an x3d Pro joystick from Best Buy. Will give it a go and see if I can get it to work. The base is pretty big, and it doesn't have any mounting capabilities... I'll report back after I play around with it for a bit

I never reported back, but here it is-

The cheapo stick works well. I mounted it to a piece of wood and clamped it to my DIY cockpit with a simple C-clamp. I made the cockpit out of wood and have my handbrake and shifter sitting on wood mounts so I can use a C-clamp to attach them wherever I need (right vs left hand drive, rally vs road car setup, etc...).

Its a bit weird to get used to at first because the stick is rather bulky... but after a while you don't really notice it. All in all, a great cheap solution for working handbrake

crowhop
22-12-2017, 07:33
In the car setup, for cars with handbrakes you adjust the sensitivity there.
I know that is possible, but all that does is increase or decrease the intensity of the button press, no?

ironman
22-12-2017, 12:02
Fanatec Handbrake is seen as analog input, not on/off, and it works perfectly in PCars 2.......

crowhop
23-12-2017, 08:09
The Thrustmaster TH8A shifter can be used as a analog hand brake.
I guess it's not as much resistance as with a purpose built hand brake. But works good enough for me.
When I set the TH8A to analog the game doesn't recognize it at all. How can I make this work?

DerSchizzinit
23-12-2017, 16:41
PC 2 still has one Mature issue in ps4... i do use one th8rs as sequential shifter connected to ps4 via usb and one th8a as handbrake, connected thru the Wheelbase. In any other game, even if it has not this highly acclamed High Class sim attitude i can map or let me say it that Way the game recognizes both devices separatly. But in PC2 they are only recognized as L1-R1 shoulderbuttons... So SMS please fix this

crowhop
24-12-2017, 17:42
Has anyone had success configuring the TH8A Shifter into an analog handbrake for pcars2? If so, will you share how you did it, please?

Ossnott
24-12-2017, 23:07
When I set the TH8A to analog the game doesn't recognize it at all. How can I make this work?

Has anyone had success configuring the TH8A Shifter into an analog handbrake for pcars2? If so, will you share how you did it, please?
Have you ticked it to analog handbrake in the Thrustmaster profiler softwere?
That's all I did, and all games recognise it as an analog handbrake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcX3NYMIO9E&t=11s

crowhop
25-12-2017, 05:35
Have you ticked it to analog handbrake in the Thrustmaster profiler softwere?
That's all I did, and all games recognise it as an analog handbrake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcX3NYMIO9E&t=11s
Well, I'll be darned. I'd done this before to no avail. Tried again and it works. I must've done something wrong before. Appreciate your help. Thank you.

Now, another question...how can I make it so that pulling the handbrake doesn't turn off the engine? Unless you have auto clutch and auto start both on, pulling the clutch for that moment effectively turns the motor off.

Ossnott
25-12-2017, 19:38
Well, I'll be darned. I'd done this before to no avail. Tried again and it works. I must've done something wrong before. Appreciate your help. Thank you.

Now, another question...how can I make it so that pulling the handbrake doesn't turn off the engine? Unless you have auto clutch and auto start both on, pulling the clutch for that moment effectively turns the motor off.

Glad it helped! :)
Hm, even if you yank the hand brake when you are up to speed?
If you go really slow I can imagine it might stall the engine if you don't clutch, but if you are up to speed and keep revving the engine, that shouldn't happen.

crowhop
25-12-2017, 20:07
Yeah, it starts back up, but for that moment the engine dies. Particularly noticable in the new drift Mustang. Fun car though. Really easy to drift.

ProjectCARSFiend
26-12-2017, 03:51
Since this thread is related to the handbrake, can anyone tell me why in PC2, from a standing start, for cars that actually have a handbrake that locks the rear wheels, when you hold the handbrake on and accelerate at the same time, the car doesn’t stay still and just rev until you release the handbrake?

Adam Lindsey
26-12-2017, 18:10
Since this thread is related to the handbrake, can anyone tell me why in PC2, from a standing start, for cars that actually have a handbrake that locks the rear wheels, when you hold the handbrake on and accelerate at the same time, the car doesn’t stay still and just rev until you release the handbrake?

Usually the rallycross cars that do this actually have a thing that disables the clutch in the center diff, or the main clutch on the motor so the car sits still.

crowhop
26-12-2017, 18:39
Usually the rallycross cars that do this actually have a thing that disables the clutch in the center diff, or the main clutch on the motor so the car sits still.

Hmm...I wonder if this explains why using the Handbrake turns the engine off.

Ossnott
27-12-2017, 10:01
Yeah, it starts back up, but for that moment the engine dies. Particularly noticable in the new drift Mustang. Fun car though. Really easy to drift.

Hmm...I wonder if this explains why using the Handbrake turns the engine off.

I tried this last night, and it seems to be a bug with the new Drift Mustang.
The engine on that dies when pulling the hand brake as you said, but I don't get this in any other car I have tried.