PDA

View Full Version : SLI for VR??

vegaguy5555
25-05-2017, 18:40
Does anyone know if this is can be done or even should be done??? My wife might divorce me if she sees three GTX1080Ti's in my computer. She might pull one out and beat me with it....... That was a bad picture.
Anyway.... Pcars could really use SLI for VR!

dault3883
25-05-2017, 18:56
Does anyone know if this is can be done or even should be done??? My wife might divorce me if she sees three GTX1080Ti's in my computer. She might pull one out and beat me with it....... That was a bad picture.
Anyway.... Pcars could really use SLI for VR!

why would you need 3?

Sankyo
25-05-2017, 20:00
AFAIK it depends on the VR device manufacturers to support SLI.

rosko
27-05-2017, 09:10
Not many if any support sli as of today. Apparently its now much easier to do.

vegaguy5555
27-05-2017, 17:35
I was reading about some instructions in Oculus about SLI coding. Don't know enough about coding to make a judgement call about how hard it would be but they said it is easier now.

As for why I would want three 1080Ti's, I have to ask, have you tried VR in Pcars? It is demanding on my 980Ti. You wouldn't want anything less! That's for sure!

It would be nice to see Pcars maxed out in VR I think.

rosko
27-05-2017, 17:46
You can ask for it but they probably see it as a low priority as VR is a small fraction of users 'look at the wheel shake' thread & sli is even smaller. But im with you in hoping they do it & would cause me to invest in another card.

Silraed
28-05-2017, 05:07
As for why I would want three 1080Ti's, I have to ask, have you tried VR in Pcars? It is demanding on my 980Ti. You wouldn't want anything less! That's for sure!

I mean if you are just sitting on the money and just want to spend it then sure 3 cards will look pretty in your PC. But from a performance point of view it's just pissing money away because SLI scales so badly beyond 2 cards, not mentioning many many games simply don't support or make use of more than 2 cards.

Azure Flare
28-05-2017, 08:05
SLI and Crossfire is a dying breed. I would much rather have a since 1080 Ti over two 1060 6GBs.

TorTorden
28-05-2017, 09:56
SLI is the universe telling you you should havd bought a better gpu, or you are simply a schmuck who has spent too much money on the rig.

Only real reason to have multiple gpus is CUDA based rendering or deep learning.
And you dont need to actualy run SLI for that to work.

There is an api for vr and sli but it has to be implemented on a per game basis.
So far only title that has that is the nvidia VR creephouse.

Shouldn't be to improbable to see it in pcars 2 though.

But I would much rather see the implementation of SMP than SLI.
That would be good for both multiscreen users and vr and all without requiring another 800$ 300watt monster.

rosko
28-05-2017, 10:49
But I would much rather see the implementation of SMP than SLI.
That would be good for both multiscreen users and vr and all without requiring another 800$ 300watt monster.

Good point about smp, i wonder is it used in pcars 2?

TorTorden
28-05-2017, 18:23
Good point about smp, i wonder is it used in pcars 2?

I would be very interested to hear that myself.
But apparently there has been a few issues in getting it implemented in other games.
But vr games are mostly done by really small groups still, using off the shelf engines like unreal or unity.

A fully fledged studio like SMS with their own tech could stand to make Pcars2 THE vr title for the time to come.

But then again it's only a feature available for Pascal and later series of gpu's so it would be very possible it's to costly in development time vs sales potential to actually implement.
But as a 1080ti owner with a rift and a vive....

vegaguy5555
02-06-2017, 21:11
Oh man!! 1080Ti, Rift and Vive!! You're my hero!��

I have an overheating 980Ti now. I'm getting a 1080Ti this weekend. What are good settings and what can I expect?

Thanks!!��

TorTorden
05-06-2017, 21:09
Oh man!! 1080Ti, Rift and Vive!! You're my hero!��

I have an overheating 980Ti now. I'm getting a 1080Ti this weekend. What are good settings and what can I expect?

Thanks!!��

Hmm, haven't really dialled in rather new to pcars. I have only gotten a few time trial runs around Laguna Seca but so far it's eating everything I have thrown at it.

But so far mainly just using whatever defaults.

rbranch
23-07-2017, 16:07
I know this is a Project cars discussion but wow, allot of you guys are really opinionated with no basis in fact "SLI is a dying breed" yeah, for those who cant afford it. thats like telling a guy "why do you need a v8, when you can just get a v6 and put a turbo on it" well I'd rather have the v8 & may still put 2x turbos on it...... I run 2x water cooled 1080's, water cooled i7 6950x & 32g or ram in my setup. there's not a game on this planet that I cant run on max , 60+fps and did I mention that I run everything in 4k. Now 1080p, thats a dying breed :-). hope I didn't come of as snippy (new to the forum and all) but everyone's questioning why? vs actually helping the guy out. #don't-hate #celebrate.

Sankyo
26-07-2017, 19:19
I know this is a Project cars discussion but wow, allot of you guys are really opinionated with no basis in fact "SLI is a dying breed" yeah, for those who cant afford it. thats like telling a guy "why do you need a v8, when you can just get a v6 and put a turbo on it" well I'd rather have the v8 & may still put 2x turbos on it...... I run 2x water cooled 1080's, water cooled i7 6950x & 32g or ram in my setup. there's not a game on this planet that I cant run on max , 60+fps and did I mention that I run everything in 4k. Now 1080p, thats a dying breed :-). hope I didn't come of as snippy (new to the forum and all) but everyone's questioning why? vs actually helping the guy out. #don't-hate #celebrate.

I think the main problem with SLI and X-Fire is that it seldomly is a smooth experience in the literal sense of graphics fluidity, even when using vsync.

David Ingram
19-09-2017, 10:28
I use two 1080ti's in vr and there is a large fps increase, yes a lot of game now do not support sli but as far as I know it works in PC2, there are or should I say were a few strange artefacts in game with sli vr but as time went buy with the testing most have been ironed out

rosko
21-09-2017, 06:37
Really? But are you even a WMD member why you posting as a guest?

Bealdor
21-09-2017, 06:51
Just some internal account management going on. No worries, he's not banned or anything like that.

rosko
21-09-2017, 09:44
So any idea of how much improved fps? Didn't expect this as no indication it was supported but I know some sims can use sli.

VFX Pro
23-09-2017, 19:57
MAX SLI for Nvidia 10xx series is 2. If you are running triples in 10K or 12K, you need SLI.