PDA

View Full Version : Lap records and track rubbering

Rambo_Commando
02-06-2017, 13:01
I know we have TT leaderboards in Pcars2 but I think it would be cool if we had "live" lap records in the game. For example, if I load up Long Beach in career, during the loading screen, it displays the current world lap record for that track, not imported from TT, but from another player playing the career mode. Maybe it's just me but I was never a fan of TT and how it puts you in the most perfect racing environment. F1 drivers set world record laps in real world conditions during the race weekend.

Another thing I would like to know is if we get live rubbering effects on the track with this new Live Track 3.0 thing. Meaning, if I select a 20 lap race with only 5 cars will my lap times be the same as if I selected the same race but with 22 cars. I would think I should get better lap times with 22 cars on track because more rubber is being laid down.

cluck
02-06-2017, 14:52
Not sure if most people realise but, it was originally a WMD-community vote - during pCARS1 development - and it came down in favour of only showing times from the fairly static environment that time-trial provides. The major reason, IIRC, was that due to the different environmental conditions (season, wind, rain etc) and track rubbering levels, it was decided to not leave players trying to second-guess what conditions the WR lap was set in (there's only a limited amount of data for the leaderboards).

Will that change for pCARS2? I'm not at liberty to say but I suspect the answer will be no, for the same reasons as before.

As for more realistic rubbering in, well, that would be telling ;).

MaximusN
02-06-2017, 16:28
I really do hope it will change because TT is something I find a really useless activity. It would be acceptable(for me) if the timetrial could be used as a qualification(without other cars) in a race weekend. But IMHO TT itself doesn't hold any relation to the real racing world and having a static environment is also not a real world thing. I like the leaderboards and all, but if it's only via timetrial I'm not going to be in them.

breyzipp
02-06-2017, 18:56
It sure is a very interesting topic and I hope mister wookie is reading this. :)

A part of me thinks that static environments with static weather, static seasons (= optimal conditions) would be the most fair way to do time trials for leaderboards since everyone can easily reproduce these settings (just start a time trial like in PCARS 1 - outside of career and multiplayer). But I would think not many people would be doing time trials, I remember from PCARS 1 for checking them out briefly on XBox One there were barely any people populating the leaderboards.
But another part of me would also find it very boring when PCARS 2 is out that we would need to leave our beloved dynamic weather / dynamic seasons / dynamic livetrack 3.0 environment to set some lap times for scoreboards. Quite frankly I find time trials just for the sake of time trails just boring, I'd rather see them be recorded automatically in the background while I play career or multiplayer.
And then there is the topic of needing to be alone on a track or allowed to be in a race when recording a lap time for scoreboards. When you are in a race with other people then slip streaming does give an added benefit but of course other people could just as much be hindering you and keeping you off the ideal racing line.

I personally would like to see it the way it is in real life, whenever a lap time score is broken, it counts. And it doesn't matter if that was during during a race or when doing laps on your own. I would even prefer the scoreboard to display under which conditions a score was set : during practice, during qualifying, during a race. And that you would be able to filter (or toggle) between these settings. That way everyone who is in a race sets times and the scoreboards are filled with a lot of players thus also populating the leaderboards really well. Especially with so many tracks in game, if TTs are a completely separate game who's going to play them? Maybe 5% of players? I prefer to stay in career mode playing my championships and invitationals and set times at the same time (or multiplayer or free play or quick weekends). If I have snow or rain or bad weather then whatever, it will just be a poor time that can easily be improved next time I race there.

Personally I don't care jack about who is the guy with the biggest e-peen in the top rankings of a scoreboard. I always prefer to see how a certain car I'm driving is performing compared to other cars in the same class. Hence why I would LOVE to see personal scoreboards so much. I don't care how other players perform on scoreboards, I prefer to see how all the cars I drive compare to each other... on XBox. ;)

bradleyland
02-06-2017, 19:40
You've really got to have both, IMO.

TT is an activity that appeals (in a big way) to players who aren't interested in online racing.

At the same time, it'd be cool to have separate WR leaderboards for qualifying and race. It's not about fair, or static, or controlled environments. It's simply about keeping track of records. They do the same thing in real life, and they don't even race the same cars from year to year!

They serve two different groups of people, and they border on mutual exclusivity. I'm sure there are people who do both, but as we can see in this thread already, there are many who are very focused on one or the other.

DECATUR PLAYA
02-06-2017, 20:08
You've really got to have both, IMO.

TT is an activity that appeals (in a big way) to players who aren't interested in online racing.

At the same time, it'd be cool to have separate WR leaderboards for qualifying and race. It's not about fair, or static, or controlled environments. It's simply about keeping track of records. They do the same thing in real life, and they don't even race the same cars from year to year!

They serve two different groups of people, and they border on mutual exclusivity. I'm sure there are people who do both, but as we can see in this thread already, there are many who are very focused on one or the other.

Would having community events with different weather serve the purpose here. I'm just asking this subject is somewhat complicated. I have seen games where they did record laps from any lap that was set and as stated above it didnt work out so well.

bradleyland
02-06-2017, 20:43
Community events are always great, because it provides another opportunity similar to TT, but more structured. I don't see it as a replacement for simply tracking lap times in online races and qualifying. Yes, the top of the leaderboard is going to fill up with times from optimal conditions, but that's true of real life racing as well.

I'm curious what you mean by "didn't work out so well". If you mean that people complained... Well... Good luck solving that problem ;) Now, if you were to use the race leaderboard as your only leaderboard, I could see where that could be a problem. I think that's a bad idea in general though.

bradleyland
02-06-2017, 20:49
Would having community events with different weather serve the purpose here.

Going to double-post, because I think using the phrase "the purpose" is a pretty good representation of the problem. There is no singular purpose for a leaderboard. A leaderboard, as an abstract concept, is a method of displaying top performers for a given activity. The constraints placed around inclusion on the leaderboard (necessarily) limit participation to the type of gameplay fits those constraints. Put another way, a TT leaderboard only represents players who have an interest in TT (single-player, solo) racing.

The pCARS community is much too large to be served by a single-purpose leaderboard, IMO. That's my primary point.

DECATUR PLAYA
02-06-2017, 21:44
Going to double-post, because I think using the phrase "the purpose" is a pretty good representation of the problem. There is no singular purpose for a leaderboard. A leaderboard, as an abstract concept, is a method of displaying top performers for a given activity. The constraints placed around inclusion on the leaderboard (necessarily) limit participation to the type of gameplay fits those constraints. Put another way, a TT leaderboard only represents players who have an interest in TT (single-player, solo) racing.

The pCARS community is much too large to be served by a single-purpose leaderboard, IMO. That's my primary point.

^Makes sense.

"Didn't work out so well" simply meant that players that are trying to get to the top of leaderboards couldn't because they couldn't recreate the same conditions as the players they was chasing. Conditions like drafting or slipstreaming as stated above. I do like lap times being pulled from any event because it is more inclusive but yet complicated at the same time.

Mahjik
03-06-2017, 01:18
TT & leaderboards will always be tied together and limited to a specific mode to control conditions. That will never change.

However, what would help those (like myself) who never run TT is to have your own top lap times per car/track combination tracked locally. I know this was brought up with PC1, however so where 10 million other ideas (so it's not like SMS doesn't listen, there is only so much they have time for)... Hopefully something like this happens in the future as this helps bridge the gap for those who don't TT but want to track their own times.

MaximusN
03-06-2017, 01:55
TT & leaderboards will always be tied together and limited to a specific mode to control conditions. That will never change.

However, what would help those (like myself) who never run TT is to have your own top lap times per car/track combination tracked locally. I know this was brought up with PC1, however so where 10 million other ideas (so it's not like SMS doesn't listen, there is only so much they have time for)... Hopefully something like this happens in the future as this helps bridge the gap for those who don't TT but want to track their own times.

Well, before they restricted it to TT the Leaderboards also recorded records outside of TT. So technically it wasn't always...

Mahjik
03-06-2017, 02:14
Well, before they restricted it to TT the Leaderboards also recorded records outside of TT. So technically it wasn't always...

I'm well aware of the development history. I was there as well.

Simple fact is that TT will always have the top times, which will mean the most ideal conditions (if open to all sessions/types). All that would happen is that people would find crafty ways to trick the system to get top times and then everyone would "just do that". The way it's done today takes all that out and just sets the stage the same for everyone. Honestly, I don't know why people care so much. If the system locally tracks my times, that's all I would need. I've watched how leaderboards have worked since Grand Prix Legends & GTR/GTR2. If there is a way to cheat, drivers will find it so setting the stage initially as equal as possible is the best first step.

RacingAtHome
03-06-2017, 02:26
In my opinion, Time Trial should have the most optimal conditions preset to set the fastest laptimes. If you want to have the LiveTrack 3.0 and etc, use Time Attack which is probably a mode because of the Evo Time Attack.

MaximusN
03-06-2017, 12:32
I'm well aware of the development history. I was there as well.

Simple fact is that TT will always have the top times, which will mean the most ideal conditions (if open to all sessions/types). All that would happen is that people would find crafty ways to trick the system to get top times and then everyone would "just do that". The way it's done today takes all that out and just sets the stage the same for everyone. Honestly, I don't know why people care so much. If the system locally tracks my times, that's all I would need. I've watched how leaderboards have worked since Grand Prix Legends & GTR/GTR2. If there is a way to cheat, drivers will find it so setting the stage initially as equal as possible is the best first step.

All fine and dandy, but then you won't find me on the leaderboards :) I'm not into hamsterwheels. ;)

Mahjik
03-06-2017, 14:16
All fine and dandy, but then you won't find me on the leaderboards :) I'm not into hamsterwheels. ;)

I don't do them either.... However, for the sake of what they are I agree with the approach as to how they are implemented.

dault3883
03-06-2017, 14:20
I don't do them either.... However, for the sake of what they are I agree with the approach as to how they are implemented.

same here if its going to be comparing lap times from one person to another a controlled environment is the only efficient way to do it. Other wise your comparing apples to oranges.

MaximusN
03-06-2017, 14:23

I get why, but it would be nice to have a seperate list. Or not even seperate, but have it be a flag like 'default setup' or 'aides'. That way you can filter out the non-TT ones(or the other way around). So everyone can have their cake AND eat it. Just let the 'official' times shown in delta's only be TT(which is weird in a way because if you're in a race the TT times are built from pure unobtanium, but I can live with that).

And having aides and all different controllers and their helpers makes it less than controlled anyway. I mean you could even argue that finding the perfect circumstances(weather, time, etc.) is no different then finding the perfect setup, and TT is not fixed setup so... ;)

hkraft300
03-06-2017, 15:51
I'm happy with the way TT is. On consoles it'd be nice to have a filter function, that's all.

I'd like a pb recorded locally for the car track combos.

bradleyland
03-06-2017, 16:40

You say this like it's some sort of axiomatic truth, but there's nothing to support that. Plenty of real live racing organizations track lap records for race and qualifying. There's no reason you couldn't do the same in a racing sim.

There are two separate matters:

1) The merit of the idea on its own.

2) Where the idea fits in to the overall priority of game development.

I would accept that, in terms of priority, there are far bigger problems to solve, but I have not seen any compelling argument against the idea of tracking qualifying and race records in their own leaderboard.

bradleyland
03-06-2017, 16:44
Has anyone here played DiRTRally? Their online leaderboard system is really cool. It not only shows a lap leaderboard, but it shows a histogram of the distribution of lap times. There are so many cool things you can do with lap time data. I think it's a real shame that the community seems so ready to shut these ideas down because they're so invested in the existing model.

hkraft300
03-06-2017, 16:46
Extra leader boards.
Also, which TT queen is going for a rain record?

I just want my pb recorded locally whatever I'm doing: race/quali/fp/online/off line.

Has anyone here played DiRTRally? Their online leaderboard system is really cool. It not only shows a lap leaderboard, but it shows a histogram of the distribution of lap times.

This could be interesting.
Even valuable for "coaching"

MaximusN
03-06-2017, 17:08
Extra leader boards.
Also, which TT queen is going for a rain record?
Seriously, what's the problem of adding the non-TT times with a flag? If you don't turn it on you won't see them. And other who can't be bothered with TT can still compare their times to others.

They are just more like realworld-like circumstances ;) I mean I grant you a statistic environment is perfect for e-sport like comparison, but it is the opposite of how the real world works. And I thought simracers wanted to simulate the real world as best as they could....

hkraft300
03-06-2017, 17:41
Seriously, what's the problem of adding the non-TT times with a flag? If you don't turn it on you won't see them. And other who can't be bothered with TT can still compare their times to others.

They are just more like realworld-like circumstances ;) I mean I grant you a statistic environment is perfect for e-sport like comparison, but it is the opposite of how the real world works. And I thought simracers wanted to simulate the real world as best as they could....

I'm not against the idea. It doesn't bother me, though I think there are better things higher up the list. I'll sometimes check a TT time to see where I'm at (sometimes I can be way off track with a tune).
Put it all on the same leaderboard but with the filter option. Would it start to grow large? Sure. It might also set the bar higher.

Personally, e-sport seems too "gamer"-centric than motorsport. There's not many top 10 LB guys that can keep it together in a 3 hour race on a cold track and wobbly weather. As is TT. But hey, it's integral and has a large user base.

Mahjik
03-06-2017, 18:38
I get why, but it would be nice to have a seperate list.
And having aides and all different controllers and their helpers makes it less than controlled anyway. I mean you could even argue that finding the perfect circumstances(weather, time, etc.) is no different then finding the perfect setup, and TT is not fixed setup so... ;)

The difference is that all things being equal, there is no such thing as "the perfect setup". Setup, for the most part, will depend on the driver's driving style. Yes, there will be parts of a setup that is universal (i.e. aero changes for low downforce tracks) but the rest will be driver subjective. Weather and date/time won't be subjective (as well as things that PC2 simulates like wind, live track, etc).

You say this like it's some sort of axiomatic truth, but there's nothing to support that.

Except being part of WMD.

Has anyone here played DiRTRally? Their online leaderboard system is really cool. It not only shows a lap leaderboard, but it shows a histogram of the distribution of lap times. There are so many cool things you can do with lap time data. I think it's a real shame that the community seems so ready to shut these ideas down because they're so invested in the existing model.

Dirt Rally doesn't give you control over anything but the car (which is precisely what TT does for pCARS). If you had the ability to change conditions at will, you'd only have the best condition at the top of the leaderboards.

Seriously, what's the problem of adding the non-TT times with a flag?

1. Space...

The leaderboards are not infinite. There is a reason to some of the decisions made (if you go back and read some the WMD1 discussions). *If* the chosen TT date/time/weather is optimal, then the only times that would be on the leaderboard would still only be those times as the sub-optimal times would just be pushed off.

breyzipp
03-06-2017, 20:10
I would really love to keep track of my own best lap times per car per track through career, multiplayer, free play and in-game time trials in such a way that every track would save my best time with every car. For example on Le Mans I would love to see how I am doing with all these group C cars from the 1998 Le Mans field (Porsche 962C, Panoz, F1 GTR, CLK, etc) and compare them with each other. I want to compare that data with other tracks as well. I'd like to see which cars from similar performance fair better on quick tracks and which are better on technical tracks.

Yes I understand that is a lot of data, perhaps this game will have near 250 cars post-release and 70 locations with a total of about 300 configurations (rough wild numbers, just to have some numbers). So that would be 250 x 300 = 75.000 records. And each record would need to have a data field for the time, car, car class, track, season, weather, input (controller or wheel), game mode (practice vs qualification vs race vs time trial) so that sure is a lot of data. But in these days of mobile devices having storage media into the hundreds of Gigabytes it should be able to handle it.

Now if the game or my XBox can't handle that, would it be possible to broadcast it with UDP to an app on my iPad? Each time a race is finished and a scoreboard with lap times / position / best lap time etc is shown, then it would just be a single record that needs to be exported with UDP. If we would have an iOS or Android app to collect this data and store it in a local database and allow us to progress this data, that would be simply put super-awesome. I could for example go to the Nordschleife and if I raced there at least once with every car, I would see all my 170+ cars there assorted in fastest lap time. I could filter on car classes to check out only group C prototypes for example. Or flip it around the other way, I could go to a certain car, let's say the 1998 Porsche 962C prototype car. I could filter on Group C prototypes and I would see a scoreboard of all the tracks I've driven on and where this car was the fastest (within this filter). I could see for example on Spa this was my 3rd fastest Group C car, on Monza this was my 1st fastest group C car. Data like that would be of incredible value for a data nutcake as myself (and I'm sure there are some others as well). We could even start comparing this data with friends.

So please, if the game can't store that info on our PCs or consoles, could it be made accessible via UDP? If not, then on the Project CARS website where we can create user accounts we set up in the game and everything is saved on the PCARS website automatically. ;)

The above is 100% what I'm interested in when it comes down to leaderboards or saved lap times. When it's just showing an online leaderboard (like every other racing game out there) then that data is pretty much useless to me. People have different skills, different gaming gear, different platforms which all results in "unfair" situations anyway no matter if the weather is stationary. If I drive that same 1998 Porsche 962C around Le Mans and I end up on the online scoreboard on a 7013th time out of a total of 31242 records that means absolutely nothing to me. It's useless. I want to compare that time with my own other times with other cars on the same track. THEN I have something useful to look at.

bradleyland
03-06-2017, 22:05
I wouldn't worry about implementation. That's for the developers to figure out. Being a developer, I can tell you that "UDP" is a network protocol. It's not at all relevant in this case.

I kind of agree regarding the whole "Leaderboard" thing when it comes to race/qualifying laps. While I think it would be kind of cool to maintain records, what's more interesting to me is (like breyzip) understanding how my laps fall on the continuum of performance.

bradleyland
03-06-2017, 22:10
Except being part of WMD.

Being part of WMD means you are participating in the development of the game, but it gives you no unilateral authority over what does/doesn't go in to the game.

Dirt Rally doesn't give you control over anything but the car (which is precisely what TT does for pCARS). If you had the ability to change conditions at will, you'd only have the best condition at the top of the leaderboards.

You keep missing the point. So much so that I wonder if it isn't intentional. This isn't about a level playing field. It is, explicitly, not about a level playing field. Otherwise, why would anyone bother keeping records in real life either? A question that you conveniently ignore every time I pose it.

You can, btw, change conditions in DiRTRally. There are various times of day and weather conditions. There is a finite set, but again, that misses my point entirely.

Mahjik
03-06-2017, 22:31
Being part of WMD means you are participating in the development of the game, but it gives you no unilateral authority over what does/doesn't go in to the game.

You might want to understand what WMD really before commenting.

You keep missing the point. So much so that I wonder if it isn't intentional. This isn't about a level playing field. It is, explicitly, not about a level playing field. Otherwise, why would anyone bother keeping records in real life either? A question that you conveniently ignore every time I pose it.

I'm not missing your point. You don't seem to understand much about software not game development. There is a finite amount of information that can he held online. Think of it as say 100 items for the example. You can dice those up any way you want, but the total will only ever be 100. So you could have 10 groups of 10 entries, 50 groups of 2 entries, 1 group of a 100 entries, and so on. When you are dealing with a finite set of data, you have to determine the most useable split for your data set given the audience. What is the best option?

With that, if you split the leaderboards up into more groups, that makes them hold less entries which means less people will see their names (which gives less incentive to even try). If you include more variations, you'll only spend a lot of development effort for no use since only the prime, ultimate, conditions will result in the best lap times which is what everyone who is participating in TT will use. That will just push the other times off the leaderboards wasting a lot of development effort to include them.

In short, it just doesn't make any sense given a finite amount of data storage (and the consoles are already limited). If pCARS had less content and was focused on a single discipline like Dirt, then it would be much more simple.

bradleyland
04-06-2017, 00:07
You might want to understand what WMD really before commenting.

World of Mass Development. I know what it is. Again, it doesn't give you any authority; it gives you a voice. Don't get ahead of yourself.

I'm not missing your point. You don't seem to understand much about software not game development. There is a finite amount of information that can he held online.

Heh. I run a multi-million dollar software company.

What is the size of the current pCARS leaderboard database? Is that database at the limit of its storage technology? What strategies would you employ to cull data in such a database? Have you ever run a production database cluster?

I love it when people try to make up technical arguments with zero actual information. It usually means they either don't understand the idea, or it's not in alignment with their own vision, so they have to fabricate some objective reason to reject it.

I'm just going to say this. None of this has anything to do with the idea being discussed, because what I'm proposing could absolutely be achieved with current technologies.

Think of it as say 100 items for the example. You can dice those up any way you want, but the total will only ever be 100. So you could have 10 groups of 10 entries, 50 groups of 2 entries, 1 group of a 100 entries, and so on. When you are dealing with a finite set of data, you have to determine the most useable split for your data set given the audience. What is the best option?

With that, if you split the leaderboards up into more groups, that makes them hold less entries which means less people will see their names (which gives less incentive to even try). If you include more variations, you'll only spend a lot of development effort for no use since only the prime, ultimate, conditions will result in the best lap times which is what everyone who is participating in TT will use. That will just push the other times off the leaderboards wasting a lot of development effort to include them.

In short, it just doesn't make any sense given a finite amount of data storage (and the consoles are already limited). If pCARS had less content and was focused on a single discipline like Dirt, then it would be much more simple.

It frequently makes sense to look at data in different ways. The TT Leaderboards are a competition. They're a mechanism for players who prefer to drive alone on a circuit to participate in a racing community.

The OP simply said that they would like to see lap records. Your assertions thus far have been that it is either impossible (laughable) or of no use. The latter is a matter of opinion, and you're certainly entitled to yours, but you haven't stopped there. You've taken the extra step of puffing your chest about being in WMD and made some poor technical arguments that it's beyond the technical capacity of web-based technologies and consoles.

I'm not going to try to explain it any further, because I think you know exactly what the idea is. I just think you disagree with it, and you have resorted to a convoluted argument in order to squash the discussion. Well, congratulations, because this is a conversation that I'm sure no one cares to see carried on.

dault3883
04-06-2017, 00:30
World of Mass Development. I know what it is. Again, it doesn't give you any authority; it gives you a voice. Don't get ahead of yourself.

What is the size of the current pCARS leaderboard database? Is that database at the limit of its storage technology? What strategies would you employ to cull data in such a database? Have you ever run a production database cluster?

I love it when people try to make up technical arguments with zero actual information. It usually means they either don't understand the idea, or it's not in alignment with their own vision, so they have to fabricate some objective reason to reject it.

I'm just going to say this. None of this has anything to do with the idea being discussed, because what I'm proposing could absolutely be achieved with current technologies.

It frequently makes sense to look at data in different ways. The TT Leaderboards are a competition. They're a mechanism for players who prefer to drive alone on a circuit to participate in a racing community.

The OP simply said that they would like to see lap records. Your assertions thus far have been that it is either impossible (laughable) or of no use. The latter is a matter of opinion, and you're certainly entitled to yours, but you haven't stopped there. You've taken the extra step of puffing your chest about being in WMD and made some poor technical arguments that it's beyond the technical capacity of web-based technologies and consoles.

I'm not going to try to explain it any further, because I think you know exactly what the idea is. I just think you disagree with it, and you have resorted to a convoluted argument in order to squash the discussion. Well, congratulations, because this is a conversation that I'm sure no one cares to see carried on.

What he is saying is the leader board is less important than what you are making it out to be. By limiting its space they can put more tracks and cars in the game, which i am all for. To be honest i could care less if the leader board was even on the game. If you want to find out who is fastest get out on the track with 20 other guys and duke it out on track.

bradleyland
04-06-2017, 01:52
What he is saying is the leader board is less important than what you are making it out to be. By limiting its space they can put more tracks and cars in the game, which i am all for. To be honest i could care less if the leader board was even on the game. If you want to find out who is fastest get out on the track with 20 other guys and duke it out on track.

Opinions are fine. I have no objection to yours, but what he said amounted to quite a bit more than you have acknowledged.

Mahjik
04-06-2017, 02:33

:confused:

Me too... :distant:

Is that database at the limit of its storage technology?

The leaderboard storage is based on the hosting technology provided (i.e. each platform has their own limitations, Xbox, PS4 & Steam). SMS is not hosting the leaderboards if you didn't know which means they are limited to the lowest common denominator of their supported platforms.

Have you ever run a production database cluster?

Run? Nope. I don't do database builds although I do secure them. I don't do operations. I'm a Security Architect so I design network security (however, I spent 20 years designing and implementing software for a wide range of disciplines).

At this point in time, SMS is not hosting nor owning the infrastructure. Yes, you could do everything you said, *if* SMS or Bandai became the host. That is not possible for PC1 and is not happening for PC2. Maybe in a future iteration depending on how the sales of PC2 go.

I don't disagree with looking at data in different ways. Been in healthcare on the IT side for many years. We do it all the time.

The OP simply said that they would like to see lap records. Your assertions thus far have been that it is either impossible (laughable) or of no use.

That is not what I said. You need to re-read my original post in this thread. It was also not in response to the OP. As far as the OP, I agree with what he said. My post was in response to the later posts about the Leaderboards. SMS and EA created a system many years ago which is described by the OP. It was called Autolog and it was in Shift2:

http://www.theaveragegamer.com/2011/03/07/need-for-speed-shift-2-unleashed-autolog/

It was great when it worked, but it crashed a lot and had issues. It was brought up in PC1 about doing a similar concept (and I was one of the ones who did bring it up). With that, yes I agree with the OP about sharing personal bests with friends. I don't agree that the Leaderboards should include non-TT sessions even though I don't do TT. Being able to track personal bests locally and share those with friends (similar to the what Autolog attempted to provide) would be the goal.

bradleyland
04-06-2017, 03:38
Apologies for the misunderstanding regarding what you were replying to, and thank you for bringing this back around to a discussion with interesting and useful information. I agree that Leaderboards, as implemented, would not benefit from the inclusion of non-TT sessions.

The limitation of the platform owners in this scenario makes perfect sense. Given that this looks more like a niche interest, this might be an opportunity for a third-party developer to come up with something. On Assetto Corsa, there is a plugin called RSR Live Timing that collects lap data through a plug-in, and pushes it to the RSR Live Timing database. Something similar would absolutely be possible using pCARS' UDP stream/shared memory. The schema includes lap time data, car, circuit, and environment information. What's needed is a "forwarding" client that receives UDP data from pCARS, and a web service to receive lap data from users. From there, it's a matter of deciding how to look at the data.

Rambo_Commando
04-06-2017, 19:50
I think it would be simple to include, on the loading screen for that car/track combo:

TT lap record: 1.xxx.xxx (pulled from TT leaderboard)
World or Online career lap record: 1.xxx.xxx (you see how your lap time is compared to others playing career mode)
Offline career lap record: 1.xxx.xxx (your PB)

Mahjik
06-06-2017, 15:33
I think it would be simple to include, on the loading screen for that car/track combo:

TT lap record: 1.xxx.xxx (pulled from TT leaderboard)
World or Online career lap record: 1.xxx.xxx (you see how your lap time is compared to others playing career mode)
Offline career lap record: 1.xxx.xxx (your PB)

If they are capturing offline laps, then yes that is all possible. ;)

hkraft300
06-06-2017, 16:27
Any apps that currently do it?
I just downloaded pcarstt for Android. Will test and reported I get a chance.

bradleyland
06-06-2017, 18:34
vrHive has telemetry logging, which saves lap time information.

http://vrhive.co.uk

Fanapryde
03-08-2017, 21:37
Any news on this ?
I'm not the biggest fan of AC, but they do have a simple in-game off line list of PB times per car/track, which is hugely useful (to me).
I would love to see something like it in pCars2.