PDA

View Full Version : Car Setup/Engineer

mkstatto
04-06-2017, 10:08
Hopefully I'm not alone in this question, for those of us who are less car setup inclined will the new game include an easy setup option or race engineer. I've never really been one to get in depth with car setups, granted I know that sticking a load of front and rear wing on will increase downforce and vice versa, but the intricacies of springs, roll bars and diff settings have always been a bit of magic to me.

The kind of thing I'm talking about is having the option when back in the pits to tell the engineer that you'd like more stability at the rear or more top speed or less understated in the low speed corners.

breyzipp
04-06-2017, 10:15
That would indeed be great. Or at the very least give us a description/explanation of what all the different settings do, unlike in PCARS 1 where that huge area of nothing on the middle and right of the screen was rather insulting when going through car and game settings. :)

Mowzer
04-06-2017, 10:38
Im sure i read some where that SMS had originally intended to have set up engineer in PC1 but they had i leave it out for some reason. Hopefully they can get it to work in PC2 as it would be amazing ;).

Fanapryde
04-06-2017, 11:45
That would indeed be great. Or at the very least give us a description/explanation of what all the different settings do, unlike in PCARS 1 where that huge area of nothing on the middle and right of the screen was rather insulting when going through car and game settings. :)
On PC (and IIRC on PS4 too) there are hints and explanations present for most settings, giving you a clue what to change to get a better setup.

breyzipp
04-06-2017, 11:52
On PC (and IIRC on PS4 too) there are hints and explanations present for most settings, giving you a clue what to change to get a better setup.

Hmm on XBox too it seems, guess I was wrong. Car setup does have a little bit of info, it's the game input settings that have no explanation at all.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/64tSdaPrYgk/maxresdefault.jpg
https://thelatenightsession.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/pc-settings-1.jpg

hkraft300
04-06-2017, 13:02
Something like an AI setup engineer will be either be basic and disappointing, mostly useless.
Or very advanced, resource intensive and incredibly difficult to get right. Even then, it'll only be so good.
Guides explaining each parameter will need accompanying animations, maths and be fairly in-depth.
Without experience and a deeper understanding, that may still only get you half way.

Takes a bit of experience to tune a car. Even F1 teams get it wrong.

A bit of reading tuning guides and experimenting will get you a long way :)

For everything else, there's the garage section of the forum and projectcarssetups.eu.
For PC2, word on the interwebs is there will be setup sharing :)

bradleyland
04-06-2017, 15:30
Agree with hkraft. Because of the way pCARS simulates the car, there's no shortcut for adjusting setup. There are many variables you can change, and while you can make ham-fisted changes to, for example, loosen up the rear, you're almost always going to end up with a slower car. There is no finite template for "tighten front" or "loosen rear". There are only guidelines.

hkraft300
04-06-2017, 15:54
Adjusting tyre pressures, ducts, ride heights (rake), wings and gear ratios are fairly basic and will net you the most gains. The rest are really for the tenths, and driveability in long races. For the latter, snatch someone's tune and make appropriate adjustments to suit your needs and the track.
In any case, setup isn't the be-all-end-all of fast lap times. That said, if you want to be the fastest, put in the work. Use EVERY tool at your disposal. Tuning is just one.

mkstatto
04-06-2017, 16:30
Most of the time, I won't have time to dial in a setup and will want to do one or two hot laps in qualy and then straight into the race. Based on the first incarnation, what I would have liked was these little (want of a better word) shortcut's to not necessarily make the car any quicker but to improve the drivability and fit more with my driving style. Certainly my own playing time is limited so as much hop in and make quick changes would be welcomed on my part.

If the next game is to come with a more 'Codemasters' style HUD selection mechanism, then their might be room to feedback how your car's feeling back to the pits. (on a side note do we know whether Kinect is panned to utilised?)

Perhaps the ability to share setups and download them would help this some what as well.

hkraft300
04-06-2017, 16:54
I'll rarely (now that I don't have time for it) spend hours in free practice just tuning a car.
Every race it's a little tweak here and there. So I develop my setup for a car over weeks sometimes months.

If the next game is to come with a more 'Codemasters' style HUD selection mechanism, then their might be room to feedback how your car's feeling back to the pits. (on a side note do we know whether Kinect is panned to utilised?)

That's ok for a more basic game. Sims are a bit too complicated without needing a fairly advanced system, otherwise it wouldn't do you any good.

Rambo_Commando
04-06-2017, 19:34
Agreed. You'll never see a proper AI race engineer because setups are subjective to personal preferences. However, I would like it if the engineer was more informative with up to date weather, position changes, vehicle condition, fuel strategy, tire strategy, opponents tire/fuel strategies, undercut strategies, etc...

hkraft300
05-06-2017, 01:36
Keen to see how's the race engineer in pc2.
If SMS makes it too comprehensive, they take away the need for apps like crew chief =/

Mahjik
05-06-2017, 01:47
IIRC, one (or both) of the GTR titles had a simplified version of a setup screen. IIRC, it had 3-4 sliders with one being oversteer to understeer, another for acceleration or top speed, etc.. It didn't give you an optimal setup, but it did help those who didn't know how to go into the detailed setup screens.

hkraft300
05-06-2017, 03:33
IIRC, one (or both) of the GTR titles had a simplified version of a setup screen. IIRC, it had 3-4 sliders with one being oversteer to understeer, another for acceleration or top speed, etc.. It didn't give you an optimal setup, but it did help those who didn't know how to go into the detailed setup screens.

Could well be good enough for something basic. I wouldn't recommend it though. Tuning is making a series of compromises to solve a problem you might not have :rolleyes:

The default setup TT leaderboard makes it painfully obvious my lack of talent.

bradleyland
05-06-2017, 17:36
Most of the time, I won't have time to dial in a setup and will want to do one or two hot laps in qualy and then straight into the race. Based on the first incarnation, what I would have liked was these little (want of a better word) shortcut's to not necessarily make the car any quicker but to improve the drivability and fit more with my driving style. Certainly my own playing time is limited so as much hop in and make quick changes would be welcomed on my part.

Perhaps the ability to share setups and download them would help this some what as well.

I've got good news then :)

Drivability usually comes down to oversteer/understeer balance, and this can be achieved through the adjustment of just a handful of settings:

- Differential accel & decel
- Anti-roll bar adjustment front & rear
- Brake balance front & rear

Even if you don't touch dampers and springs, these adjustments can dramatically affect the way a car handles.

breyzipp
05-06-2017, 18:16
Let's not forget the power of us, the community either. :) I hope there will be some great community-created tuning guides for beginners like myself who only have a basic knowledge of tuning and would like to get to know a bit more about it.

hkraft300
05-06-2017, 18:31
The garage section of this forum has some good reading if you can find it.

I've got good news then :)

Drivability usually comes down to oversteer/understeer balance, and this can be achieved through the adjustment of just a handful of settings:

- Differential accel & decel
- Anti-roll bar adjustment front & rear
- Brake balance front & rear

Even if you don't touch dampers and springs, these adjustments can dramatically affect the way a car handles.

I heard differential code is improved for pc2.
Anyway, what you would change for balance would I think depend on what and where you're driving.
If the car feels balanced in low speed corners but understeer at high speed turns, it could be incorrect diff or, more likely (because car feels good at low speed), that you need more front wing.
Swaybar effect could be very subtle at high speed tracks like Spa but very pronounced at Sonoma. It depends.
One of the safe is fast videos I think said to cure understeer, you prefer to add grip to the front instead of reduce grip to the rear. Example you have understeer means you're lacking front grip. You want to soften front springs (or swaybar), instead of increase rear spring. Reducing front spring adds grip to the front. By increasing rear springs, you're effectively reducing rear grip, so you have low grip front and rear! But then your roll bias is off and it could feel loose at the back in a particular corner, so some swaybar adjustment would make it right again. It's all a balancing act.

bradleyland
05-06-2017, 21:00
Understeer? 3 bar in rear tires.

Problem solved ( •_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

DECATUR PLAYA
05-06-2017, 21:35
Let's not forget the power of us, the community either. :) I hope there will be some great community-created tuning guides for beginners like myself who only have a basic knowledge of tuning and would like to get to know a bit more about it.

They should have the Project Cars Forum on some of the billboards and walls around the track so people know to come here for information.

cxMilk
06-06-2017, 17:55
They should have the Project Cars Forum on some of the billboards and walls around the track so people know to come here for information.
coughAt the very least, they should have it linked on the pCars landing page.cough

Edit: To clarify, the website landing page, not in game landing page.

poirqc
06-06-2017, 18:17

Dirt Rally has that, you can either have 6-8 sliders about car setup or you can go full on with mecanical settings.