PDA

View Full Version : How pit are going to work for standard production cars

ProjectCARSFiend
10-06-2017, 02:09
I was just wondering, with pitstops, obviously they're going to work perfectly fine with race versions of cars (GT3, Indycar etc.), but how are they going to work with stock standard production road cars (and Supercars)? Will the pit crew have different tools depending on if you're in a race version or road car? I'm asking this because not all, the majority of standard road cars won't be able to use that gun they undo the bolts with on race cars. And also found it a bit funny when that article was released about how they will now have actual animated pit stops in PC2, the picture they showed was of the McLaren P1, which is one of the cars that can't use the bolt gun it showed the pit guy holding.

dault3883
10-06-2017, 02:22
I was just wondering, with pitstops, obviously they're going to work perfectly fine with race versions of cars (GT3, Indycar etc.), but how are they going to work with stock standard production road cars (and Supercars)? Will the pit crew have different tools depending on if you're in a race version or road car? I'm asking this because not all, the majority of standard road cars won't be able to use that gun they undo the bolts with on race cars. And also found it a bit funny when that article was released about how they will now have actual animated pit stops in PC2, the picture they showed was of the McLaren P1, which is one of the cars that can't use the bolt gun it showed the pit guy holding.

on race cars that do not use lug nuts they are not refered to as Bolts they are refered to as Wheel Nuts

Bolt

Nut

Wheel Nut

Lug Nut

hkraft300
10-06-2017, 02:57
The "Wheel nut" picture is actually referred to as centre-lock.
Used on track/ race cars for quick removal.
P1 GTR has centre lock. Regular P1 has 5 stud.

dault3883
10-06-2017, 03:03
The "Wheel nut" picture is actually referred to as centre-lock.
Used on track/ race cars for quick removal.
P1 GTR has centre lock. Regular P1 has 5 stud.

in america we call them center lock wheel nuts or just wheel nut for short. a car that has lug nuts we callem well lug nuts

hkraft300
10-06-2017, 03:11
I wouldn't be fussed about which gun the pit crew would use for road cars.
Road cars would very rarely see a tyre change anyway.
I mean, which one of us is doing full tyre stint endurance races in road cars!

dault3883
10-06-2017, 03:23
I wouldn't be fussed about which gun the pit crew would use for road cars.
Road cars would very rarely see a tyre change anyway.
I mean, which one of us is doing full tyre stint endurance races in road cars!

ill probably never touch the road cars if they arent the arial atoms or the caterhams any ways i like the race cars

ProjectCARSFiend
10-06-2017, 03:51
So what all you guys are basically saying is that they probably won't bother about changing wheels with road cars and just leave that to the race versions of cars?

dault3883
10-06-2017, 03:57
So what all you guys are basically saying is that they probably won't bother about changing wheels with road cars and just leave that to the race versions of cars?

no what im saying is ill probably never DRIVE the road versions they push to much in the corners i like the way the race cars handle better

ProjectCARSFiend
10-06-2017, 04:10
Can anyone else seriously answer the question I just asked?

dault3883
10-06-2017, 04:12

we will find out for sure by September 22 or 23rd at the latest

hkraft300
10-06-2017, 08:24
You'd be surprised. The other slow-ish road cars are really fun. BMW 1m, mustang, 86... I personally feel the super cars are really fast in a straight line without adequate brakes and tyres, so you have to brake for a long time to make the turn.

We've only seen a screenshot so far.
Wmd members are on gag orders.
Can't tell til we see video footage of pit crew in action.

Mad Al
10-06-2017, 10:22

Yes, the wheel gun (and other aspects of the pit stop such as refueller type) may not be 100% correct for every situation and vehicle type, it's called a compromise. Try thinking about the number of variables there are in each car and then think how much work is required to get 100% accurate animation for every single one.... Track, wheelbase, wheel diameter, tyre width, type and number of wheel nuts, fuel filler location, fuel filler type... etc. etc. etc...

Roger Prynne
10-06-2017, 10:40
^ Exactly this.

Rodgerzzz
10-06-2017, 12:48
All these amazing new cars and tracks being shown off and all anybody is bothered about is whether the dude in the pits has got the right gun or spanner to change the wheel...there's the same debate raging on GTP. Just pick a f***ing car and drive it around the f***ing track for goodness sake :D

Konan
10-06-2017, 12:55
I can see your point but still he wasn't nitpicking,he just asked a question...
Knowing that there weren't animated pitstops in Pcars1 i can imagine questions will be raised...especially after seeing that screenshot...
Now over at GTP...that's another thing...some guys really toar that screenshot apart...

hkraft300
10-06-2017, 12:58
All these amazing new cars and tracks being shown off and all anybody bothered about is whether the dude in the pits has got the right gun or spanner to change the wheel...

First World problems, innit?

breyzipp
10-06-2017, 13:29
You'd be surprised. The other slow-ish road cars are really fun. BMW 1m, mustang, 86...

Agreed! And don't forget those Meganes. ;)

FS7
10-06-2017, 19:53
It would be interesting if road car pitstops were similar to real life: you enter the pits, pit menu comes up with gas prices, you choose between regular & premium, option for tyre pressure calibration, option to wash the windshield, pick payment option, warning to turn off engine and electronic devices like cell phones and no smoking.

Konan
10-06-2017, 19:57
Lol...here in Belgium it's very hard to find someone who pumps the gas for you...if we want our windscreen cleaned we have to do it ourselves or go to a carwash....

dault3883
10-06-2017, 20:10
Lol...here in Belgium it's very hard to find someone who pumps the gas for you...if we want our windscreen cleaned we have to do it ourselves or go to a carwash....

its the same way in america..unless you live in New jersey there people arent "qualified" to pump their own gas LOL

snipeme77
10-06-2017, 22:04
It would be interesting if road car pitstops were similar to real life: you enter the pits, pit menu comes up with gas prices, you choose between regular & premium, option for tyre pressure calibration, option to wash the windshield, pick payment option, warning to turn off engine and electronic devices like cell phones and no smoking.

I vote for random stop lights on the race tracks with people that clean your windshield and if you hit one its a 15 lap penalty and 2 years in prison after the race.

Could you imagine the SMS twitter feed...

RacingAtHome
10-06-2017, 22:05
I can see your point but still he wasn't nitpicking,he just asked a question...
Knowing that there weren't animated pitstops in Pcars1 i can imagine questions will be raised...especially after seeing that screenshot...
Now over at GTP...that's another thing...some guys really toar that screenshot apart...

They did. But they're things I won't really notice in a racing scenario. What I really want to see is the full pitlane experience. Including avoiding it in a Bentley when requiring to serve a penalty.

snipeme77
10-06-2017, 22:07
They did. But they're things I won't really notice in a racing scenario. What I really want to see is the full pitlane experience. Including avoiding it in a Bentley when requiring to serve a penalty.

Honestly the only people who are worried about the accuracy of the pit crew, are people (Like me) who want to make short films in Pcars 2. (If SMS gives us a free camera)

DECATUR PLAYA
10-06-2017, 22:16
I'm really interested in manual pit stops. My question is how will we make pit road adjustments as we drive towards our pit box.

dault3883
10-06-2017, 22:18
I'm really interested in manual pit stops. My question is how will we make pit road adjustments as we drive towards our pit box.

i wonder if we will have a pit road speed limiter button option too most series use them

DECATUR PLAYA
10-06-2017, 22:29
i wonder if we will have a pit road speed limiter button option too most series use them

One of my buddy's said that's how it works in the F1 game.

Edit: My bad he said that's how it works in F1.

dault3883
10-06-2017, 22:33
One of my buddy's said that's how it works in the F1 game.

Edit: My bad he said that's how it works in F1.

F1, indy car, Imsa. Wec, Perilli World Challeng, Blancapain gt series and many others

DECATUR PLAYA
10-06-2017, 22:49
F1, indy car, Imsa. Wec, Perilli World Challeng, Blancapain gt series and many others

Alright so next question I wonder what the pit road adjustments we will be able to make and how much time will we have to make them. I think this is where the crew chief/race engineer option is going to be important.

dault3883
11-06-2017, 00:02
Alright so next question I wonder what the pit road adjustments we will be able to make and how much time will we have to make them. I think this is where the crew chief/race engineer option is going to be important.

preferably an option where you can pause the game and set up pit stop adjustments before you get there. I mean i know its not realistic. But neither is us not being able to communicate with a race engineer/crew chief on what adjustments to make on the pitstop, before we get to pit road like you would in real life.

snipeme77
11-06-2017, 00:11
preferably an option where you can pause the game and set up pit stop adjustments before you get there. I mean i know its not realistic. But neither is us not being able to communicate with a race engineer/crew chief on what adjustments to make on the pitstop, before we get to pit road like you would in real life.

You know, I think I remember someone saying something about car to pit communication while racing...

dault3883
11-06-2017, 00:16
You know, I think I remember someone saying something about car to pit communication while racing...

that would be cool only problem would be having it recognize the houndreds if not thousands of different accents in the world

snipeme77
11-06-2017, 00:29
that would be cool only problem would be having it recognize the houndreds if not thousands of different accents in the world

I think they meant something close to Grid Autosport, having Pit presets you could activate before coming in. I'm trying to find the video, it was a interview of somesort

DECATUR PLAYA
11-06-2017, 01:37
I think they meant something close to Grid Autosport, having Pit presets you could activate before coming in. I'm trying to find the video, it was a interview of somesort

That sounds like a pretty good option right there. I couldn't imagine something else that would work.

ProjectCARSFiend
11-06-2017, 02:53
All these amazing new cars and tracks being shown off and all anybody is bothered about is whether the dude in the pits has got the right gun or spanner to change the wheel...there's the same debate raging on GTP. Just pick a f***ing car and drive it around the f***ing track for goodness sake :D

Jeez, calm down dude. The only reason I mentioned it was I don't want any things in the game that are going to break immersion for me. Of course I'm excited about all the new tracks and cars, especially the cars, but it doesn't mean I can't be concerned about other things too.

hkraft300
11-06-2017, 02:56
The only reason I mentioned it was I don't want any things in the game that are going to break immersion for me.

If you're in cockpit view you'll hardly notice it, with manual pit control.
Immersion in chase cam through the pit lane? Hadn't looked at it that way (pun intended).

ProjectCARSFiend
11-06-2017, 03:20
If you're in cockpit view you'll hardly notice it, with manual pit control.
Immersion in chase cam through the pit lane? Hadn't looked at it that way (pun intended).

I never mentioned anything about chase cam, and besides, some people might want to be in chase cam (if that's available) to watch the pit guys working on your car.

hkraft300
11-06-2017, 04:18
What are the chances someone drives in chase cam, and runs a race long enough to wear out the tyres in a road car to need a tyre change...
Then thinks "hey, the pit guy is using the wrong gun! Simcade, bro..."

breyzipp
11-06-2017, 08:57
Jeez, calm down dude. The only reason I mentioned it was I don't want any things in the game that are going to break immersion for me. Of course I'm excited about all the new tracks and cars, especially the cars, but it doesn't mean I can't be concerned about other things too.

I don't think he was rude or anything, it was actually quite funny to read and judging by the smiley at the end it was written with that intention as well. ;)

Maybe SMS can make an expansion pack post release. Project CARS 2 - The Pitgun Edition. ;)

ProjectCARSFiend
11-06-2017, 09:57
I don't think he was rude or anything, it was actually quite funny to read and judging by the smiley at the end it was written with that intention as well. ;)

Maybe SMS can make an expansion pack post release. Project CARS 2 - The Pitgun Edition. ;)

Yeah fine, whatever you think. I still stand by what I said at the start of this thread though. I guess we'll just have to wait for the final game when it comes out.

hkraft300
11-06-2017, 10:34
Pit crew not wearing team colours!
Simcade, bro...

Konan
11-06-2017, 10:52
Pit crew not wearing team colours!
Simcade, bro...

Don't you start...:rolleyes:

dault3883
11-06-2017, 14:32
to be honest ill just be happy to have animated pit stops even if the guns dont match the car.

hkraft300
11-06-2017, 15:00
Pit crew gave me the wrong tyre pressures!
Simcade, bro...

Oh sorry wrong thread ;)

GenBrien
11-06-2017, 15:20
to be honest ill just be happy to have animated pit stops even if the guns dont match the car.

anyway it's not like it'll matter for the 3/4 of us that play in-cockpit

dault3883
11-06-2017, 15:29
anyway it's not like it'll matter for the 3/4 of us that play in-cockpit

ill be in the cockpit too but there is still the look left and right buttons :)

Rodgerzzz
11-06-2017, 15:46
ill be in the cockpit too but there is still the look left and right buttons :)

Imagine the horror when you look left during your stop of a 2 hour endurance race and see the pit man has got the wrong gun! You wait tentatively for a few seconds, sweat dripping off your brow. Then the inevitable... "OK looks like we've lost a wheel nut"... You mutter under your breath "Well I wonder why?!"

Goddamnit pitman bring the right goddamn gun next time! ;)

dault3883
11-06-2017, 15:53
Imagine the horror when you look left during your stop of a 2 hour endurance race and see the pit man has got the wrong gun! You wait tentatively for a few seconds, sweat dripping off your brow. Then the inevitable... "OK looks like we've lost a wheel nut"... You mutter under your breath "Well I wonder why?!"

Goddamnit pitman bring the right goddamn gun next time! ;)

Key cussing over the radio LOL :D Me and my old boss used to joke when we would see some one walking down the road that they must of been Kevin Harvicks old tire changer LOL

honespc
12-06-2017, 11:59
ill probably never touch the road cars if they arent the arial atoms or the caterhamsThat sounds like you don't play with a wheel.

hkraft300
12-06-2017, 12:52
That sounds like you don't play with a wheel.

He has a G29.
I know what you mean though. Road cars weren't fun with a gamepad but they're great with a wheel.
The slower ones are anyway. I struggle with the brakes of the supercars.

dault3883
12-06-2017, 14:02
That sounds like you don't play with a wheel.

He has a G29.
I know what you mean though. Road cars weren't fun with a gamepad but they're great with a wheel.
The slower ones are anyway. I struggle with the brakes of the supercars.

Like Hkraft said yes i have a wheel and yes i use it.

Yes i have the same problem Hkraft does. Problem is I LIKE TO GO FAST, and the slower ones aren't fast enough. sorry Hkraft but cars like the Megane dont really do it for me ;)

honespc
12-06-2017, 15:02
Problem is I LIKE TO GO FAST, Road A then

VelvetTorpedo
12-06-2017, 15:10
Road B also on the right track/road can be more rewarding than an all out fast race car (to me anyway).

Ripping the Huayra BC around Nordschleife is a blast too.

Whether they have the right air gun for the wheels on my car or whatever is of no concern to me as long as the car is fun to drive.

dault3883
12-06-2017, 15:24
Road A then

as they said in smokey and the bandit speedier than that

Fast forward to 2:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIgGZA4qQoc

hkraft300
12-06-2017, 16:47
Like Hkraft said yes i have a wheel and yes i use it.

Yes i have the same problem Hkraft does. Problem is I LIKE TO GO FAST, and the slower ones aren't fast enough. sorry Hkraft but cars like the Megane dont really do it for me ;)

Road A cars I'm like go fast down the straight,
See a corner, hit the brakes,
Braking,
Braking,
Still braking,
Go straight past the corner,
Still braking,
Crash.

No the FWD and AWD cars are only for handbrake skids.
I'm talking about the Caterham classic, 1M, 86, the slow Ariel Atoms (road B I think)...
The classic especially at any speed feels right fast enough for some reason.
Proper fun round Silverstone classic, donington, brands, oulton...

But I don't ever see myself changing tyres in them.

VelvetTorpedo
12-06-2017, 16:49
The BAC Mono is great too with the right setup. I drove that car the most for a long while.

hkraft300
12-06-2017, 16:50
Pit crew took 5 nuts off to change tyres my 4-stud pattern wheels!
Simcade, bro...

honespc
12-06-2017, 17:56
as they said in smokey and the bandit speedier than that
Faster than road a production cars? You mean the mx-5 radbul?, but that car is for drifting, and I can not find faster cars in project cars than road A. Not even the Zonda Revolution and those few others from the same category.

Braking,
Braking,
Still braking,
Still braking,
Crash.mount street-medium tyres and drift your way through corners. Project cars allow this with almost every single road car, including the most powerful ones. Soft tyres on road cars are very tricky and requiere some proper warming, but in the end they allow for some drifting too since they are not full slicks.

If you see you spin too much when handling the throttle as you drift through a corner, then lower the accell. diff, until you are comfortable when drifting

dault3883
12-06-2017, 19:03
Braking,
Braking,
Still braking,
Still braking,
Crash.

No the FWD and AWD cars are only for handbrake skids.
I'm talking about the Caterham classic, 1M, 86, the slow Ariel Atoms (road B I think)...
The classic especially at any speed feels right fast enough for some reason.
Proper fun round Silverstone classic, donington, brands, oulton...

But I don't ever see myself changing tyres in them.

I love the Aerial atom and caterham and cars like them like the ktm

Faster than road a production cars? You mean the mx-5 radbul?, but that car is for drifting, and I can not find faster cars in project cars than road A. Not even the Zonda Revolution and those few others from the same category.

mount street-medium tyres and drift your way through corners. Project cars allow this with almost every single road car, including the most powerful ones. Soft tyres on road cars are very tricky and requiere some proper warming, but in the end they allow for some drifting too since they are not full slicks.

If you see you spin too much when handling the throttle as you drift through a corner, then lower the accell. diff, until you are comfortable when drifting

when i say speedier than that i mean a car that has the grip to take the corner with out being on the brakes for as long as you do on most of the production cars. I love the Race cars they are faster than the Road A because they can take a corner fast. Which in the end results in faster lap times

honespc
12-06-2017, 20:46
when i say speedier than that i mean a car that has the grip to take the corner with out being on the brakes for as long as you do on most of the production cars. I love the Race cars they are faster than the Road A because they can take a corner fast. Which in the end results in faster lap timesbut you will never enjoy playing on your wheel as much as you can other than with road cars, due to the control they require and the way they behave. That thing about the foot on the brakes most of the time is kinda subjective since these cars allow you to drift through corners. I don't have to brake that much with Road Cars but with a couple exceptions like the ruf yellowbird and the Lykan tbh.

Trust me practice with road cars on your wheel. You can't imagine the fun you are missing, among other things because in these kind of games, road cars can not be properly driven with controllers. They are made for wheel users. I think you haven't played them well enough according to the things you say. They are by far the funnest experience in project cars (as long as you have a wheel) after open wheelers such as FB and Renault.

dault3883
12-06-2017, 21:13
but you will never enjoy playing on your wheel as much as you can other than with road cars, due to the control they require and the way they behave. That thing about the foot on the brakes most of the time is kinda subjective since these cars allow you to drift through corners. I don't have to brake that much with Road Cars but with a couple exceptions like the ruf yellowbird and the Lykan tbh.

Trust me practice with road cars on your wheel. You can't imagine the fun you are missing, among other things because in these kind of games, road cars can not be properly driven with controllers. They are made for wheel users. I think you haven't played them well enough according to the things you say. They are by far the funnest experience in project cars (as long as you have a wheel) after open wheelers such as FB and Renault.

thats a matter of opinion nothing is funner than wheeling my mclaren 12c around Laguna seca i just dont like most of the road cars they are slower and they handle like a dump truck i get no joy from driving them

and i enjoy playing on my wheel driving the race cars i dont like drifting a waste of tires if you ask me

ramm21
12-06-2017, 21:48
I wonder what would happen if you took off a second too early.. if the pits are manual like they say..

DECATUR PLAYA
12-06-2017, 22:02
I wonder what would happen if you took off a second too early.. if the pits are manual like they say..

Should be a penalty and a badly hurt tire changer.

bradleyland
12-06-2017, 22:07

Greaaaaaat. So, what you're saying is, you'd like me to drive around for an hour while my wife insists that the cheaper gas is on the other side of town? :D

hkraft300
13-06-2017, 02:15
and i enjoy playing on my wheel driving the race cars i dont like drifting a waste of tires if you ask me

The sensations you get being on the edge of grip trying to drive them fast is the fun part. Because they're slow cars, you spend more time in that grip-slip zone. The ffb is active, the car control sublime.