PDA

View Full Version : Racing Line - improved from PCARS1?

Trippul G
13-06-2017, 07:34
While racing in most games, I prefer to leave the option for the racing line to be "Braking Only" or "On in Corners" or whatever the game chooses to call it. For most games (Forza, F1, etc) I find that this works fine.

With PCARS1, I've noticed some issues.

1) When set to braking only, the orange/red line doesn't always show in areas where I do actually need to slow down. Now granted I may not always be taking the perfect line through a corner so it's likely that I'm not carrying as much speed as the game maybe thinks I should, but I've never really noticed this problem with other games.

2) related to the first issue, the braking line doesn't seem consistent and doesn't always seem to be speed-sensitive. For instance in Monza, I was running the Merc 190E, and the line turned red a good 50 meters before I actually needed to get on the brakes. Other corners on other tracks, the line will show up too late, or like I said, sometimes not at all.

Driving with the line on Full (on all the time) helps with the issue of it not turning on / not being visible for certain braking zones, but I don't like having to do that.

So...the overall question is this: has the accuracy/consistency of the driving line been improved at all for PCARS2?

Roger Prynne
13-06-2017, 09:24
Never used it, so wouldn't know.
I can't remember it ever being discussed over at the pCARS2 forum..... but I could be wrong.

hkraft300
13-06-2017, 10:53
Pc1 was intentionally not 100% fastest line.
It was enough for you to get the ropes, learn the track.
Honestly seems you're more than capable of racing with the line off.
It's hideous anyway. the track, the game environment is beautiful without it.

honespc
13-06-2017, 11:24
So glad to know this game at least don't give you the proper line and/or best braking spots and such. All this stuff should be banned online straight away. Racing line; auto braking.., omg these nowadays "tools" we are given.

Even banning it offline (not adding them directly) would serve a greater good in the end, forcing the people who use these things to properly learn by heart, and better, through the enjoyment of playing the game itself and getting better through it.

Trippul G
13-06-2017, 12:08
While I do so enjoy a good lecture on how I should play the game, if anyone has any factual information regarding my original question, that would be far more appreciated.

honespc
13-06-2017, 12:12
Which is the funny thing though. The fact you will be given no better piece of advice on how improving yourself at the game than the one I gave to you in the post before. Too bad you took it that way, but still not my concern though.

Your call

Trippul G
13-06-2017, 12:20
I'm not looking for advice on how to improve my gaming, thank you very much, despite the fact that you seem to think that I need it. I'm looking for an answer to the question of "is the accuracy/consistency of the racing line improved from PCARS1", which so far, has not been provided.

honespc
13-06-2017, 12:27
Isn't it obvious that you needed advice on improving since you say you use racing line?

Ok didn't want to bother you anymore. Hope you find your answer

Sankyo
13-06-2017, 12:39
Isn't it obvious that you needed advice on improving since you say you use racing line?
There may be other reasons to use it, not just virtual racing skills that need improving. Don't be too quick to judge :)

Trippul G
13-06-2017, 12:49
For the record, no, it is not obvious. Just because I stated that I prefer to use the braking line, does not mean that that's an open invitation for criticism and unsolicited advice on how I should or should not be playing the game.

It's an optional feature. Some don't like to use it, some do. Different strokes. Not everyone is striving for ultra realism or to be the next Jann Mardenborough. I like to play the game the way I do, and I don't intend to change because that's not good enough in anyone else's eyes.

Now, back on topic. As I said before, if anyone has any factual information regarding my original question, it would be most appreciated.

hkraft300
13-06-2017, 12:59
What's obvious to me is that you don't need the racing line. If you're able to see and know the racing line is not optimal, you clearly don't need it. Hence my suggestion to turn it off and play without it.

Anyway, no information regarding this has been released.
I'm sure there are some YouTube gameplay footage with the racing line. The videos out there now of pc2 are quite limited. Have a look at the pcars2 media thread.

Trippul G
13-06-2017, 13:16
Thanks, I'll take a look through that thread. I've seen a couple of vids that have the line turned on, but it's difficult to tell how accurate or useful it is unless you're the one playing, or unless the person in the video makes a specific comment about it.

Mahjik
13-06-2017, 15:13
Pc1 was intentionally not 100% fastest line.

When driving a race track, there is the "race line" and the "fast line". The race line will typically compromise some speed to make sure it doesn't open the driver up for an overtake in certain corners. With that, most times the line in games is a racing line rather than a fast/time trial line.

hkraft300
13-06-2017, 17:02
Driving line assist might be a half decent racing line for defending, from my brief (and horrible) experience with it.
It wasn't intentional: one of the patches switched it on.
Won't gain you any positions though.

I wonder if it's made with account for default setups, for example carbon brakes on LMP cars might run too cold on some tracks so the assist makes you brake a touch early.

Mahjik
13-06-2017, 17:33
Without seeing the methodology when creating the line, it's hard to say. There are also "safe lines" for when you teach new drivers how to drive on a race track. It will differ from the race and fast lines. Unfortunately, there are just too many variables when creating a line to know what was used or the idea behind the chosen line.

Stewy32
13-06-2017, 18:13
You can use racing line if you are best in the world it helps with single seaters at night and anyway I could never be bothered to turn it off until recently so I had plenty of time and it doesn't make you quicker or slower I usually braked way after the marker and used different lines to the ones showed.

DECATUR PLAYA
13-06-2017, 19:14
While racing in most games, I prefer to leave the option for the racing line to be "Braking Only" or "On in Corners" or whatever the game chooses to call it. For most games (Forza, F1, etc) I find that this works fine.

With PCARS1, I've noticed some issues.

1) When set to braking only, the orange/red line doesn't always show in areas where I do actually need to slow down. Now granted I may not always be taking the perfect line through a corner so it's likely that I'm not carrying as much speed as the game maybe thinks I should, but I've never really noticed this problem with other games.

2) related to the first issue, the braking line doesn't seem consistent and doesn't always seem to be speed-sensitive. For instance in Monza, I was running the Merc 190E, and the line turned red a good 50 meters before I actually needed to get on the brakes. Other corners on other tracks, the line will show up too late, or like I said, sometimes not at all.

Driving with the line on Full (on all the time) helps with the issue of it not turning on / not being visible for certain braking zones, but I don't like having to do that.

So...the overall question is this: has the accuracy/consistency of the driving line been improved at all for PCARS2?

I'm a 2+ year veteran of the game and I have used the racing line from day 1 and I still use it because I'm still learning. The racing line can be a very valuable tool towards learning to drive the car faster.

To answer your questions. The turn indicator lines do not work properly I'm not going to say they are broken but they kind of work when they want to. So the best option is to use the full line. I understand why you don't like the full line it is hideous and does take away from the track experience.

The full line is dynamic meaning if your not carrying enough speed into a particular corner then the braking zone may not pop up or it may appear shortened.

The braking zone is just that a zone. It accommodates all braking methods. 2 people using different braking options or braking techniques will not brake into the corner the same way.

Example: If a guy is using ABS which is the games best braking option that guy can brake much harder and deeper into a turn because the ABS prevents lock ups. A guy that does not use ABS will have to use a braking technique where he or she has to brake much sooner. The braking zone accommodates both braking techniques.

As far as the line turning from yellow back to green this is on throttle off throttle behavior and can go along ways towards helping you improve your lap times.

For Pcars 2 from the videos that I have seen they seem to be going with more of a turn indicator system which looks a lot better than our current racing line.

DECATUR PLAYA
13-06-2017, 19:57
Just wanted to add this. On every other racing game I have ever owned the first thing I did on those racing games is turn my assist off because they make you slow and turn off my racing line because it was useless. Problem here is Project Cars is not every other racing game.

KANETAKER
14-06-2017, 02:14
Some players use the Driving Line Assist at night races for can have more vision of the track at the night and prevent mistakes (a good advantage vs. experimented players). I hope so in Pcars2 the host can have an option for disable the Driving Line Assist.

DECATUR PLAYA
14-06-2017, 02:21
Some players use the Driving Line Assist at night races for can have more vision of the track at the night and prevent mistakes (a good advantage vs. experimented players). I hope so in Pcars2 the host can have an option for disable the Driving Line Assist.

This is a whole different ball game with driving at night with the line. In this case the line does become a cheat and a major advantage. The host of the room should in this case have the option to disable the racing line.

Rodgerzzz
14-06-2017, 07:24
For the record, no, it is not obvious. Just because I stated that I prefer to use the braking line, does not mean that that's an open invitation for criticism and unsolicited advice on how I should or should not be playing the game.

It's an optional feature. Some don't like to use it, some do. Different strokes. Not everyone is striving for ultra realism or to be the next Jann Mardenborough. I like to play the game the way I do, and I don't intend to change because that's not good enough in anyone else's eyes.

Now, back on topic. As I said before, if anyone has any factual information regarding my original question, it would be most appreciated.

Keep playing how you want to play man, there's no need for people to get on their high horse over this question. Sorry I don't have an answer for you on this but I know a few people on PS4 that stick the racing/braking line on in causal events to get up to speed with the track quicker. They'd definitely welcome a more intuitive version than the one in PCARS 1 although the original serves it's purpose. With 50+ tracks in the game it's no wonder people use these assists to drive the tracks, I think that's more testamanet to the amount of tracks available to race on rather than people's supposed lack of ability... hope you get your answer of one of the WMD guys soon!

honespc
14-06-2017, 07:52
This is a whole different ball game with driving at night with the line. In this case the line does become a cheat and a major advantage. The host of the room should in this case have the option to disable the racing line.Driving line can be always seen as a cheat, day or night races.

There should be online lobby options in pc2 to disable all this shameful stuff, that let's be honest doesn't help anyone improving among other things because the ones who use them usually keep on using them forever. So where's the help in this stuff then?. Nowhere, obviously.

Learn through the enjoyment of playing a game you like, project cars in this case, with a child's excitement. That is the way.

*Speech given from some beautiful high horse, of course.

hkraft300
14-06-2017, 08:27
A recent study was conducted on the effect of GPS navigation to remembering a route.
With GPS assist, the group took longer than the control (with maps/landmarks, no GPS) to learn to navigate a route and arrive at a destination.
Food for thought.

Rodgerzzz
14-06-2017, 08:39
Driving line can be always seen as a cheat, day or night races.

There should be online lobby options in pc2 to disable all this shameful stuff, that let's be honest doesn't help anyone improving among other things because the ones who use them usually keep on using them forever. So where's the help in this stuff then?. Nowhere, obviously.

Learn through the enjoyment of playing a game you like, project cars in this case, with a child's excitement. That is the way.

I sincerely hope it's from that beautiful high horse masquerading as a unicorn in the confirmed car list thread? ;)

DECATUR PLAYA
14-06-2017, 09:06

I play with a controller therefore I normally don't comment in wheel threads.

hkraft300
14-06-2017, 11:51

Personally, I see it as a hindrance. But each to their own.
I'll allow driving line and all assists in a lobby I host. If they make someone else faster, I accept the challenge ;)
#masochist

Schnizz58
14-06-2017, 15:48
Personally, I see it as a hindrance. But each to their own.
Same here. Everyone has the right to experience the game however they want to but I enjoy it much more after turning off the driving line. It was a crutch for me and although I went through some withdrawal pains, I'm much happier now without it.

DECATUR PLAYA
14-06-2017, 19:31
Same here. Everyone has the right to experience the game however they want to but I enjoy it much more after turning off the driving line. It was a crutch for me and although I went through some withdrawal pains, I'm much happier now without it.

I wonder will we have the ability to enable/disable the line during races.

Schnizz58
14-06-2017, 19:37
I wonder will we have the ability to enable/disable the line during races.

I'm guessing not but I have no information one way or another. To me it just seems like the kind of thing you would turn on and leave on or turn off and leave off.