PDA

View Full Version : Project CARS 2 : FOV Settings

Aile_Bleue
17-06-2017, 08:52
Hello everyone,

I play with PCARS 1 with a FOV of 120 degrees (maximum in the cockpit view) and I have questions about the FOV in PCARS 2 :

- Will the FOV in the helmet view be above 80 degrees (My favourite view, but I play in cockpit view because the FOV...) ? I was disappointed that the PCARS 1 FOV in helmet view does not exceed 80 degrees
- What will be the maximum FOV in PCARS 2 in cockpit view and in helmet view ? I especially hope that the field of view in the helmet cam can be around 120 degrees !
Thanks ! ;) I can't wait !!!

honespc
17-06-2017, 09:17
Wouldn't make sense to have a higher fov than the one set in helmet view since it tries to simulate precisely you and your head position.

120 FOV cockpit is a totally wrong choice. You should try lower that number by at the very least thirty marks. Forty to fifty recommended though from your insane 120.

Mad Al
17-06-2017, 09:26
Wouldn't make sense to have a higher fov than the one set in helmet view since it tries to simulate precisely you and your head position.

120 FOV cockpit is a totally wrong choice. You should try lower that number by at the very least thirty marks. Forty to fifty recommended though from your insane 120.

Every think to ask, are you using triple screens...

Aile_Bleue
17-06-2017, 10:04
All right, but it does not answer my question, I don't have triple screen at this moment so I play with a huge FOV

honespc
17-06-2017, 10:06
Every think to ask, are you using triple screens...do it then

All right, but it does not answer my questionI know, but no info on higher fov for helmet view yet

Aile_Bleue
17-06-2017, 10:13
Ok no problem thank you ;) But I will buy triple screen it's better I think !

honespc
17-06-2017, 12:13
Just wait if any WMD member who plays a pc2 build can answer your question. They and devs are the only ones who can right now.

I know silence gives consent, like every dev and/or testers do too when they face questions they don't like (the important ones always), but perhaps they still haven't seen this thread yet and that's just is why you still haven't got an answer, specially regarding quite a simple fair concern of yours which should not spoil anything pc2 related or mean the end of the world if the answer is no

Rambo_Commando
22-06-2017, 02:23
Hello everyone,

I play with PCARS 1 with a FOV of 120 degrees (maximum in the cockpit view) and I have questions about the FOV in PCARS 2 :

- Will the FOV in the helmet view be above 80 degrees (My favourite view, but I play in cockpit view because the FOV...) ? I was disappointed that the PCARS 1 FOV in helmet view does not exceed 80 degrees
- What will be the maximum FOV in PCARS 2 in cockpit view and in helmet view ? I especially hope that the field of view in the helmet cam can be around 120 degrees !
Thanks ! ;) I can't wait !!!

I just tried cockpit fov at 120. I play on a 60" screen. Can I ask why you like to play using such a high fov? It feels like I'm looking through the other end of a binocular trying to drive a car, with my arms being ten feet long.

gotdirt410sprintcar
22-06-2017, 04:40
I say leave it alone nothing really wrong with it maybe make it more simple two sliders. And if you drive with ten feet arms your like 10 seconds slower lol. If your drive closer "NORMAL VIEW" you will have more control than trying too catch a loose car from the back seat lol, Could be fun but i don't suggest it . CATCH A SLIDE FROM THE BACK SEAT CAN'T DO THAT .

Aile_Bleue
22-06-2017, 15:12
Better driving precision, and test it : If you put your finger on your right, you see it, so you see at 150 ;)

hkraft300
22-06-2017, 16:28
Better driving precision,

Actually your depth perception is wrong at high FoV. So you lose that precision.
Yes you can adapt but it will take a long time to spend viewing only in that FoV to adjust. Even then it will feel wrong because the image is very distorted.
When you have a closer to natural FoV, you depth perception (therefore braking and turn points) is much better. Because your real life is in natural FoV. You also retain the "spacial awareness" of the virtual size of your car and judge it better, even though you can't see it. And that improves your driving precision.
Well, that's my theory anyway.

konnos
22-06-2017, 16:54
Yes, the reason 3screens is better and VR is even better, is that you get a better perception of speed and depth perception when you can use a lower FoV (approaching real life proportions). That's the whole point of 3screens, to be able to run as close a FoV to reality so you can be more precise. A high FoV might give you more situational awareness, but trust me you are losing precision, it is just more confortable to drive at a high FoV, but it is not "natural".

When I had a 27" monitor I had a PCARS FoV of 52. It was a bit low for my screen size, but it was not so bad. Now that I have a 32" one I am at around 60 degrees, so i can see a bit more. But 120 is just too much. Give 70 a chance, when you get used to it, you won't understand why you had 120 in the first place.

Of course, this does not answer your question :D, but it might give you the incentive to try a different setting.