PDA

View Full Version : Which video card for Oculus Rift?

Sledgar
17-06-2017, 12:30
Simple question here. What is your experience with ocolus rift and video cards? I have a gtx970 and heard that it might not be enough to run it smooth. Can you guys confirm this and what do you know about whether project cars 2 would cause even more problems here?

Mahjik
17-06-2017, 12:48
Essentially, you want the largest single video card you can afford.

Mad Al
17-06-2017, 13:51
I found a 980 was a little short on grunt for VR... (Ok for hot lapping at lower settings)

poirqc
04-07-2017, 12:09
I found a 980 was a little short on grunt for VR... (Ok for hot lapping at lower settings)

I've been thinking about buying a rift for a month to try it before returning it. I currently have a 960. I understand that my GPU won't cut it on the long term. The way i see it is that if i like it enough, i would invest in a full VR build.

But i'm wondering it my current setup would be enough to test it before hand.

i5 2400
24GB of ram(should be 16, never sold the remaining 8 :) )

John Hargreaves
06-07-2017, 19:44
Might struggle a bit with a 960 in pCARS as it's a notch below recommended spec, but you could try something like Live For Speed to get a taste for VR. I would be very surprised if you wanted to send it back though, I'd get saving for that new build :rolleyes:

VelvetTorpedo
06-07-2017, 20:04
https://ocul.us/compat-tool

theres a compatibility checker to see how your system stacks up...

Mad Al
06-07-2017, 20:23

Probably get more from running the SteamVR Performance test...

poirqc
07-07-2017, 03:09
Might struggle a bit with a 960 in pCARS as it's a notch below recommended spec, but you could try something like Live For Speed to get a taste for VR. I would be very surprised if you wanted to send it back though, I'd get saving for that new build :rolleyes:

Yeah, i figured i would've put everything to low without AA. I understand it's not optimal, but at least, i would've tested the usability.

Funnily enough, the only thing that didn't pass was my USB 3 drivers! :D I'm sure i have at least 2 ports!

Probably get more from running the SteamVR Performance test...

Downloading it right now.

Thanks guys.

Ryzza5
07-07-2017, 05:00
I reckon it'll work ok, but like all of us, you'll hear about someone else upgrading to a 1080ti and saying how much better it is and then get jealous. The immersion will make up for having to run lower graphics settings.

finagle69
11-07-2017, 15:24
I've used the following with Pcars 1:

970 - Barely playable, pretty much only runs with ASW only
980Ti - All settings on LOW in game/couple things on Medium, maybe SS to 1.1 or 1.2 - 50% of the time it would be in ASW, especially with weather/large grid
1080Ti - Settings on medium/high, SS to 1.3 to 1.5 - Very difficult to get the settings and SS just right. Actually do not like this card for VR AT ALL. Sold it.
1080 - This is my favorite and current sweetspot for ALL of VR. In Pcars 1, settings at Medium/High, SS at 1.3, game runs at 90FPS locked. Only Le Mans with a full grid and rain will cause a few spots of ASW.

Besides Pcars 1, the 1080 is the best card I've tried for all VR games. Nothing makes it misstep, nothing chokes it. It's comfortably fast enough while not being "too fast" like the 1080Ti.

The 1080Ti on regular monitor gaming just utterly crushes and destroys anything you throw at it. But VR 90FPS lock... just doesn't suit the Ti at all. It's actually very tough to get a game to make it boost to full speed sometimes. Some of this may be driver issue, but I've tried basically every geforce driver release since the Ti came out. Nothing gets it to work how I expect.

ashasha
03-09-2017, 22:40
I've used the following with Pcars 1:

970 - Barely playable, pretty much only runs with ASW only
980Ti - All settings on LOW in game/couple things on Medium, maybe SS to 1.1 or 1.2 - 50% of the time it would be in ASW, especially with weather/large grid
1080Ti - Settings on medium/high, SS to 1.3 to 1.5 - Very difficult to get the settings and SS just right. Actually do not like this card for VR AT ALL. Sold it.
1080 - This is my favorite and current sweetspot for ALL of VR. In Pcars 1, settings at Medium/High, SS at 1.3, game runs at 90FPS locked. Only Le Mans with a full grid and rain will cause a few spots of ASW.

Besides Pcars 1, the 1080 is the best card I've tried for all VR games. Nothing makes it misstep, nothing chokes it. It's comfortably fast enough while not being "too fast" like the 1080Ti.

The 1080Ti on regular monitor gaming just utterly crushes and destroys anything you throw at it. But VR 90FPS lock... just doesn't suit the Ti at all. It's actually very tough to get a game to make it boost to full speed sometimes. Some of this may be driver issue, but I've tried basically every geforce driver release since the Ti came out. Nothing gets it to work how I expect.Interesting. I've literally got a new computer build sitting in the cart on Newegg and have a 1080Ti in there. I'm just going through and doing some last minute research because this computer is basically for racing in VR. So is it a case of the framerate being locked to 90FPS being the issue? I was hoping that I could max everything and still get the 90FPS consistently in PCARS2 at the end of the month. Now I'm doubting that this is possible.

ashasha
04-09-2017, 19:04
Not to hijack this thread, but I did a lot of research and spent a lot of time mulling this over through the weekend and the 1080Ti is about 30-40% faster than the 1080. That's just math. That doesn't mean that you will experience that. The way that the title is coded can cause issues, but also the rest of the hardware can bottleneck and end up capping the performance of the GPU. My point is that there may be examples of the 1080Ti not performing as well as expected, but without knowing all of the specifics it can be misleading.

That's my round about way of saying that I just dropped over $2K on a computer to play a racing game and I'm trying to justify it. :)