PDA

View Full Version : Hot lap leaderboards

Kinna39
11-07-2017, 04:30
Does anybody know if the hot-lap leaderboards will be improved? For example:
- Filters: Can we filter by car rather than class? (if I set a time in Formula Rookie I don't want to see it on a leaderboard against Formula A)
- Will the leaderboards be cross-platform?

Would love to know any other improvements to the mode - I spend most of my time hot-lapping and competing with friends.

Roger Prynne
11-07-2017, 08:58
What platform are you on as you don't specify it in your user profile.

Silraed
11-07-2017, 10:41
I would say XBox by his profile picture.

breyzipp
11-07-2017, 11:51
Well I play on XBox as well and I have to agree with Kinna39, there really isn't much options for the leaderboards in PC1. IIRC you have the general category "prototype" for example and all those leaderboards are dominated by the Marek and RWD LMP1. If you race for example with the Renault Alpine A442B then good luck finding any meaning whatsoever in your result.

Some extra filters that would be highly welcome :

* exact the same car <=> same car class (being detailed class, in case of the Aline that would be Prototype Group 6, not just general Prototype)
* all platforms <=> same platform (as an XBox user I don't want to see all the PC VR supertimes TYVM :p)
* world <=> same region <=> friends <=> club (always fun to compare my position in Europe, in the world and in my friends list or club list)
* controller <=> wheel
* same assists <=> all results (or at least an indication how the assists are set)

Also a possibility to pick anyone from the leaderboard and use him/her as ghost time is nice, not sure if that is already possible in PC1.

I've expressed by discontent with Forza on many forums many times already but one thing they do quite good is the leaderboards IMO. :)

Trippul G
11-07-2017, 12:16
To add to that...one thing that I've wanted Forza to bring back ever since Forza 2, is Local Leaderboards. Meaning that the game stores and displays your own personal best lap times per class, per circuit. Even if it only showed like your top 5 times, I'd be satisfied with that. As long as they broke it down sensibly (Formula A, Formula C, etc. not just "Open Wheel"), it would be useful for seeing, for example, which GT3 car I'm fastest with around Brand's Hatch.

breyzipp
11-07-2017, 12:24
To add to that...one thing that I've wanted Forza to bring back ever since Forza 2, is Local Leaderboards. Meaning that the game stores and displays your own personal best lap times per class, per circuit. Even if it only showed like your top 5 times, I'd be satisfied with that. As long as they broke it down sensibly (Formula A, Formula C, etc. not just "Open Wheel"), it would be useful for seeing, for example, which GT3 car I'm fastest with around Brand's Hatch.

That would indeed be my highest requested feature. But then per car. I would so much like to see if I race for example all GT3 cars on the same track how I personally do with each of them, in which car I'm the best and in which the worse. And then learn from that and improve myself or the tune. That means a ton more to me than comparing times online with others.

But alas, I doubt that feature will be in, maybe on PC it will. On consoles I think the savegame file is limited in size and that's more Microsoft/Sony to blame. :)

Djuvinile
11-07-2017, 12:56
Very interested in an answer about this from someone who actually knows how this will be in PCars2.
then again PC users allready had it in Pcars 1. so i guess its only relevant to console users.

Bliman
11-07-2017, 15:30
I agree that there would be many improvements that can be made.
Now you only have a few cars that are relevant for hotlapping.
Because there is no reference for the other cars only if you are willing to scroll down and eventually seeing another car that is not dominating at the top.
There is no reason for hotlapping with for example with formula rookie because it is dominated by formula a.
So I hope that the classes are more seperated in Project Cars 2.
I am playing on Xbox one

kyoo
11-07-2017, 15:51
Yes I would also love this as I am on PS4.
However I asked this too some months ago and no answer, just like in this thread, so I am pessimistic about this in PC2.

Mahjik
11-07-2017, 23:32
Very interested in an answer about this from someone who actually knows how this will be in PCars2.
then again PC users allready had it in Pcars 1. so i guess its only relevant to console users.

No one (outside of SMS) knows this at this time. However, I would wager there won't be many improvements in this space until SMS and Bandai Namco host the leaderboards outside of the first party infrastructure (i.e. not hosted via MS or Sony).

breyzipp
12-07-2017, 00:01
No one (outside of SMS) knows this at this time. However, I would wager there won't be many improvements in this space until SMS and Bandai Namco host the leaderboards outside of the first party infrastructure (i.e. not hosted via MS or Sony).

Hmm now you make me curious. Would that be technically possible or allowed by MS/Sony? Maybe something like Codemaster's racenet? Or World of Tanks Companion? Not sure what exactly is all possible in there.

Or maybe just a short UDP message after each race which our mobile devices could then catch and store in an app.

Kinna39
12-07-2017, 00:12
Sorry - I've got PC1 on both XBone and PS4... yet to decide on which platform for PC2

breyzipp
12-07-2017, 00:25
Sorry - I've got PC1 on both XBone and PS4... yet to decide on which platform for PC2

Well if the power of your consoles is the deciding factor, this is how they should rate from most powerful to least powerful :

XBox 1 X
PS4 Pro
PS4
XBox 1 S
XBox 1

Of course there can be other deciding factors like online friends and communities, which console you have a wheel for or even which controller type you prefer.

I have an XBox 1 and PS4 Pro now. But I bought it from the Microsoft store since I will get an XBox 1 X later this year.

Mahjik
12-07-2017, 00:35
Hmm now you make me curious. Would that be technically possible or allowed by MS/Sony? Maybe something like Codemaster's racenet? Or World of Tanks Companion? Not sure what exactly is all possible in there.

Or maybe just a short UDP message after each race which our mobile devices could then catch and store in an app.

I believe there is no restriction for MS/Sony when hosting your own gaming platform (with regards to external storage).

I believe there is state already in the UDP messaging.

FIA
12-07-2017, 00:59
I would also like to see are own fastest ever lap next to the track map in the menus and after we select it on screen and in the race onscreen and hot lapping, and it gets updated to are time attack records from online races
so we can always see it even in a public race and better it, in the online races, but we dont know if its like this yet...

Kinna39
12-07-2017, 01:31
I guess part of the issue may be the data required for ghosts... If saving just one ghost for every car and ribbon combination, you're looking at about 23,400 possible ghosts per user (180x130).

I don't know what the file size of that ghost data would be but it could add up quickly :confused:

breyzipp
12-07-2017, 09:42
I guess part of the issue may be the data required for ghosts... If saving just one ghost for every car and ribbon combination, you're looking at about 23,400 possible ghosts per user (180x130).

I don't know what the file size of that ghost data would be but it could add up quickly :confused:

Ghost doesn't really matter IMO, can do without as that is not the main feature. Just to be sure, we are talking about singleplayer (offline) leaderboards here right? So for example if I would race all 187+8 (season pass) = 195 race cars in the game at launch on let's say Red Bull Ring club circuit, then I would like to see my personal leaderboard for that particular track with all those cars, each once on it. I don't need ghosts to race against (it would be my own ghosts anyway) or data from any other player. With the known DLC cars added the game will have 227 cars, let's add some safety and say that each personal track leaderboard would need to be able to accept 250 records.

But this doesn't even need to be in the game itself. If after a race when the scoreboard and all that is displayed, some data could be sent over UDP to an iOS app, that app could collect the data of the game after a race, in the end that's fine enough for me. The data that the game sends to the app each time after a race should include :

* track name (e.g. Red Bull Ring Club Circuit)
* car model (e.g. Toyota TS040 Hybrid)
* car class (e.g. LMP1)
* race origin (time trial, career, quick race or multiplayer)
* weather type (fixed, dynamic) (with fixed giving the name of the weather slot, e.g. overcast)
* time of day (in-game, e.g. 15:00)
* the fastest time set
* the real life date when this score was created (e.g. 22/09/2017 :p)

An iOS app could then collect that data each time after a race and start building up your personal offline leaderboards within the app (so nothing of this is stored in the game). And of course once a faster time of the same car on the same circuit is sent to the app then the old time will be overwritten so you will never have more than those 250 records per circuit layout.

That sort of data is incredibly valuable IMO and just really fun to compare. I'm WAY more interested to compare the cars on different tracks against each other (how I race them) rather than comparing my time in a certain car against the leaderboard cars from the same class from other players (because that's just what the PCARS1 leaderboards on consoles do, it's not exactly useful data).

Mahjik
12-07-2017, 13:40

Pretty much all of that can be done today. There are telemetry apps which capture a lot more data. It's simply designing a system to capture and store lap times. What I'm not sure of, but I'm sure some of the API developers know, is if the vehicle information is included in the data.

Chawabax
12-07-2017, 14:51
* YES: track name (e.g. Red Bull Ring Club Circuit)
* YES: car model (e.g. Toyota TS040 Hybrid)
* YES: car class (e.g. LMP1)
* YES: race origin (time trial, career, quick race or multiplayer)
* NOT EXACTLY: weather type (fixed, dynamic) (with fixed giving the name of the weather slot, e.g. overcast): UDP gives you data about ambient T, track temperature and rain density. Maybe you can record these values during your bestlap.
* NO: time of day (in-game, e.g. 15:00)
* YES (+ sector by sector): the fastest time set
* YES (recorded by the app): the real life date when this score was created (e.g. 22/09/2017 :p)

These data are available on Pcars by UDP. I do not have news about PCars 2, sorry

breyzipp
12-07-2017, 15:24
That's great stuff! Now we just need someone to make the app. :)

WMAD? :D

(World of Mass App Development)

TRC GeorgiaDawg
13-07-2017, 00:40

That would be very nice to have. Hard to believe how much the tech has gotten better yet Forza has went backwards in a lot of ways with it's overall leaderboard package since FM2.

Filters would be good. But I'm hoping for better and more balanced classing system in PC2. Classes that make sense would be better than having a filter. You never really know how good your times are with a filter if all the fast guys are running different cars anyways.

Another long gone Forza feature I would love to see is the roll up leaderboards. Basically taking all your times in each class and track and adding them up giving you a overall ranking by class and then a overall ranking for every class and track. Was great fun always looking to find time on different tracks to lower your roll up times and rankings. Gives a incentive to continue to try and beat your times. As well as incentive to work on track and car combinations you might otherwise ignore.

Kinna39
13-07-2017, 01:34
One great feature with Forza's Rivals system that was lost after FM4 was the automatically refreshing ghosts - your best ghost would refresh if you beat your time, and your next rival would update if you beat the last one (without having to end the session and begin a new one).

PC1 was able to refresh your own ghost, but the challenge of continually beating that next person on the leaderboard was a great hook to keep you in the one session for lap after lap.

Here's hoping :)

Trippul G
13-07-2017, 04:22
Another long gone Forza feature I would love to see is the roll up leaderboards. Basically taking all your times in each class and track and adding them up giving you a overall ranking by class and then a overall ranking for every class and track. Was great fun always looking to find time on different tracks to lower your roll up times and rankings. Gives a incentive to continue to try and beat your times. As well as incentive to work on track and car combinations you might otherwise ignore.

Oh man, I totally forgot about that feature! Yeah, I used to really like that too. I also miss that it used to keep leaderboards for overall race event time as well as fastest lap. Granted, you couldn't really do that with something like PCARS where race distances can be scaled, but it was cool in that it really encouraged you to be smooth and consistent through the entire race.

RoccoTTS
13-07-2017, 07:38
IMO the best leaderboards i've ever seen are those of RaceRoom Racing Experience (http://game.raceroom.com/leaderboard/?track=3870&driving_model=2&car_class=class-1703) on PC.

TRC GeorgiaDawg
13-07-2017, 09:43
Oh man, I totally forgot about that feature! Yeah, I used to really like that too. I also miss that it used to keep leaderboards for overall race event time as well as fastest lap. Granted, you couldn't really do that with something like PCARS where race distances can be scaled, but it was cool in that it really encouraged you to be smooth and consistent through the entire race.

Ohh, I sooo miss the career leaderboards from FM2. It is about the only thing that ever made any career mode interesting to me. And like you said, it really promoted smoothness and consistency. I would go back and forth. Working on hotlapping until I got bored, then move over to working on career and just kept repeating as each mode helped me improve on the other mode. The scaling of distance is a issue. But they could set a standard distance and conditions for each race and your time would only post if you used those. Could still change them if you liked, just wouldn't post.

Other Forza like feature I'd like to see is times posting to leaderboard from any mode in the game. Some of my better FM2 hotlap times were ran during career mode racing or multiplayer rooms set up for purpose of hotlapping.

Kinna39
24-07-2017, 21:53
Found this video that shows off the leaderboard options - for anyone as interested as I am :)

Don't speak Spanish so can't tell what he's saying but from what I can see we can load in multiple ghosts, filter leaderboards by car etc... looks pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McF5s1N6zuU

RoccoTTS
25-07-2017, 07:41
Found this video that shows off the leaderboard options - for anyone as interested as I am :)

Don't speak Spanish so can't tell what he's saying but from what I can see we can load in multiple ghosts, filter leaderboards by car etc... looks pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McF5s1N6zuU

But keep in mind this is the pc version, i expect the console version is going to be like it was in PC1.

breyzipp
25-07-2017, 11:52
I wish SMS would have something like Codemasters' Racenet where after each race the data from that race was stored. Then console users could look up their full detailed and uncompromised leaderboards on a PCARS website.

The community can still do it via an app on mobile devices though as all the needed info is available via UDP.

Kinna39
26-07-2017, 23:57
But keep in mind this is the pc version, i expect the console version is going to be like it was in PC1.

nooooooooooooooooooo