PDA

View Full Version : Pcars in 4k or VR? I need advice..

shiftee
14-07-2017, 20:40
so I am an admitted graphics whore and play Pcars in 4k on my tv. Graphics are very important to me, because they are a large part of the immersion especially with games based on real life. The more "photo realistic" the graphics, the easier it is to trick my brain into thinking that I am actually driving when behind my wheel in the living room.

Now with the Rift having this recent sale for $399, I am getting tempted by VR. But the immersion is different, but should be on another level? I am afraid the drop in resolution and graphics may be too much to offset the thrill of feeling I am actually in the race on that track. unfortunately none of my friends have a VR headset to try, and I looked online and the closest demo is pretty far away. I wish I could experience it before purchasing.

Has anyone tried Pcars in both 4k and also VR? which do you prefer? pros and cons? Is there aliasing in VR version? I don't think I can ever go back to seeing jaggies or shimmying after I switched to pc, it takes me right out of the immersion. I am running a 1080ti so from what I read it would be a mix of medium/high to get 90 FPS solid. what is the actual resolution for the Rift, is it like 540p (1080 split for each eye)? I hear it can be pretty rough...

one one hand I want to wait for second gen VR with better resolutions, on the other hand I can afford it and am curious as hell what its like...any and all opinions welcome..

Roger Prynne
14-07-2017, 21:08
Moved to correct forum.

microlomaniac
15-07-2017, 11:14
I would say there is just no other way than trying it out for yourself.

I have tried the Rift at one of their demo booths (albeit not with a racing game/sim). I was amazed. It's really something else.

At first, I was put off by the lacking resolution of the Rift, and the resulting pixel pattern (it's like having a black net in front of your eyes). But I got used to it quite quickly.
Surely that was because in the demos, there was no relatively small text to read. I could imagine that reading text and numbers from your steering wheel/dash and/or HUD, could regularly remind you of the poor resolution of the VR headset, thus potentially spoiling the experience. But that's really up to your expectations.

I still believe it will be awesome - in other regards than 4K. I drive in 3.5K - on a 34" curved ultrawide display (with DIY ambilight). And it's nice - but the immersion is of course far from what you get with VR. I'm looking forward to being able to look left and right more easily, being able to check both of my side mirrors... but I'm still holding off to wait for the next generation of VR goggles, with a bit higher resolution.

Mad Al
15-07-2017, 14:44
https://live.oculus.com/

and look to see if anyone is doing demos near you..

other than that.. just go for it.. the immersion is so great it far outweighs the reduced resolution (and if you can throw a load of super sampling at it, it's really not that bad either...)

Roger Prynne
15-07-2017, 14:47
and look to see if anyone is doing demos near you..
Not a chance of that happening down in Cornwall though :(

Mad Al
15-07-2017, 15:09
Not a chance of that happening down in Cornwall though :(

Bugger me, thought it was bad over my side of the country.. nearest to you would be in Reading.. not exactly a short walk away!

Roger Prynne
15-07-2017, 15:49
^ Exactly :mad:

Cowboy10uk
15-07-2017, 19:31
Yes I normally play at 4K and bought a rift in the same deal last week. Tried PC on it for the first time a few days ago, apart some teething issues with the Rift display turning on and off in PC which I'm seeking an answer for at the moment, the actual immersion was mind blowing, so long as I can get my display issue sorted I honestly cannot see myself driving in 4K again.

It will be the Rift every single time, there truely is nothing like it. I was really there racing at Silverstone. :D

Cowboy10uk

finagle69
17-07-2017, 02:31
The level of immersion you get from the 3D and physically sitting in the car far outweighs the much much lower resolution for me. Everyone will be different in this regard, however.

With VR, you'll need a beefy gfx card and a lot of patience to tune the settings/AA/SS so that you get a resulting image quality that is good for you.

Mascot
17-07-2017, 08:15
I race in 4k maxed out on most sims but have ordered a Rift now that it's on sale and I have a capable PC. VR is the missing piece from my racing cockpit, and I've been waiting aeons for the tech to be affordable and of a high enough quality.
I hear the same things from almost everybody: the compromise on visual fidelity is utterly negligible when compared to the sense of immersion that stereoscopic 3D and head tracking add. I'm not really interested in all the gimmicky 'experiences' and games (but might end up loving them), but VR seems like an absolutely perfect fit for seated cockpit/wheel sim racing.

I cannot wait. Should be here by Thursday.

finagle69
17-07-2017, 15:12
I race in 4k maxed out on most sims but have ordered a Rift now that it's on sale and I have a capable PC. VR is the missing piece from my racing cockpit, and I've been waiting aeons for the tech to be affordable and of a high enough quality.
I hear the same things from almost everybody: the compromise on visual fidelity is utterly negligible when compared to the sense of immersion that stereoscopic 3D and head tracking add. I'm not really interested in all the gimmicky 'experiences' and games (but might end up loving them), but VR seems like an absolutely perfect fit for seated cockpit/wheel sim racing.

As a die-hard VR enthusiast having had the Vive (sold) and Rift both from day 1, the compromise on visual fidelity is not "utterly negligible". Far from it, especially from 4K. BUT, the gain in immersion, spacial awareness, etc. outweighs it for me. I don't mean this to sound negative, just make sure you keep your expectations in check is all. :)

Mascot
18-07-2017, 14:40

Aaaand... Currys have just cancelled my order, five days after it was placed, because they have no stock.

Wonderful.

Now it's OOS everywhere.

*sigh*

Roger Prynne
18-07-2017, 16:00
Bummer :sorrow:

Mad Al
18-07-2017, 18:32
Aaaand... Currys have just cancelled my order, five days after it was placed, because they have no stock.

Wonderful.

Now it's OOS everywhere.

*sigh*

Should have gone to Woolies... oh hang on.. that's Brasso..

Amazon are listing it as unavailable too..

You could try direct from Oculus (although having said that, I tried to get my first CV1 direct from them and my bloody card company blocked it without asking first, which caused a major **** up and ended up cancelling and going to Amazon.. which actually saved me 50 quid.)

Had no issues with my delivery from Amazon of the second one either the other day.

Mascot
19-07-2017, 07:54
Spoke to Scan yesterday and they are expecting new stock in the next day or so, but it will likely be a new bundle. Same price, same Rift with two touch controllers, but no Xbox One controller and no remote control. I think this is the new one-box bundle that Oculus have put together and will form worldwide stock from this point on. So, no free controller or remote any more, which is a bit of a bummer.

Boskapongen
19-07-2017, 09:47
Now they cancelled my order aswell. Suddenly Oculus Store only ships within the US.. WTF.

Mascot
19-07-2017, 10:00
Now they cancelled my order aswell. Suddenly Oculus Store only ships within the US.. WTF.

Sucks balls, doesn't it?
Which retailer cancelled your order?

Boskapongen
19-07-2017, 10:11
Sucks balls, doesn't it?
Which retailer cancelled your order?

Indeed, mega huge balls...

Just their own offical store:
https://www.oculus.com/rift/

Have send them an email.

From their official FAQ:

Shipping

Which countries are supplying Oculus store to?
If you buy an oculus drive from Oculus store can be shipped to the following countries:

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Canada
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
taiwan
UK
USA

Mad Al
19-07-2017, 10:31
Spoke to Scan yesterday and they are expecting new stock in the next day or so, but it will likely be a new bundle. Same price, same Rift with two touch controllers, but no Xbox One controller and no remote control. I think this is the new one-box bundle that Oculus have put together and will form worldwide stock from this point on. So, no free controller or remote any more, which is a bit of a bummer.

I get the no xbox one controller (I already have a wired 360 controller on each machine anyway and that's fine for a seated experience), but no remote.. not sure I follow that (and if that cost more than 5 quid to make, I'll be stunned, 29 quid to buy separately from Oculus?!)

That looks like it's also the bundle now on offer from the Oculus store too..

Mascot
25-07-2017, 15:04
Got my Rift for 328 from Currys in the end (318 actually, as they gifted me 10 for the original cancelled order) and picked it up today. It's the pre-bundle version with the Xbone controller and remote included, so I'm happy with that. Makes all the faffing about almost worth it. I need to wait for the Touch controllers to come back into stock but I don't need them for cockpit use, so there's no rush. I'll be setting it up tonight after a long post-work MTB ride.

Am excite!

shiftee
27-07-2017, 16:57
first off, thanks to everyone that dropped their feedback and opinions. I ended up picking up the rift and giving it a shot. I was amazed at first (first contact), but the screen door effect and low resolution were immediately apparent. I told myself I would get used to it and started trying anything and everything.

since this is a pcars forum, I will stick to the topic. I went through all the settings and SS through debug tool etc, and got it as best as possible -- which is still pretty rough. The main issue is that VR looks best up close to the player, once you get more than 2 car lengths away there are not enough pixels to recreate even moderately realistic looking objects/environments. The feeling of being in a car on the road it great, but the AI almost look like bad holograms due to the individual pixels making them up being very visible. and when your eyes are looking into the distance 90% of the time, it really puts strain on your eyes with the blurry resolution. The immersion is broken for me, just due to the pixelated look. I definitely prefer Pacrs in 4k as it still drops my jaw on a regular basis (clearly I am in the minority, but glad you all are enjoying the VR racing experience so much). I just wanted to leave my feedback in case it helps someone else considering a big VR headset purchase. I would advise to try it out first if you can, and make sure to buy from a vendor with a good return policy. I bought from best buy in US, so luckily I could just return it with no hassle.

One thing I will say though, VR is definitely the future for sim racing. I pray the next gen headsets will look at least equivalent to 1080p AFTER the magnifying lenses do their thing. I could live with that, as I was imagining what that would look like when I had the rift on in Pacrs. I played Rise of Tomb raider in native SBS 3D recently, and it looks bananas up close - mainly because the visuals and texture work is so good that the 3D detail looks amazing. If the Rift 3D (which is superior of course) had that kind of clarity and detail I would still be in it haha. I will definitely be following the next gen VR news with great interest, unfortunately it sounds like its going to be a few years before anything gets close to market...

Mascot
28-07-2017, 06:41
first off, thanks to everyone that dropped their feedback and opinions. I ended up picking up the rift and giving it a shot. I was amazed at first (first contact), but the screen door effect and low resolution were immediately apparent. I told myself I would get used to it and started trying anything and everything.

since this is a pcars forum, I will stick to the topic. I went through all the settings and SS through debug tool etc, and got it as best as possible -- which is still pretty rough. The main issue is that VR looks best up close to the player, once you get more than 2 car lengths away there are not enough pixels to recreate even moderately realistic looking objects/environments. The feeling of being in a car on the road it great, but the AI almost look like bad holograms due to the individual pixels making them up being very visible. and when your eyes are looking into the distance 90% of the time, it really puts strain on your eyes with the blurry resolution. The immersion is broken for me, just due to the pixelated look. I definitely prefer Pacrs in 4k as it still drops my jaw on a regular basis (clearly I am in the minority, but glad you all are enjoying the VR racing experience so much). I just wanted to leave my feedback in case it helps someone else considering a big VR headset purchase. I would advise to try it out first if you can, and make sure to buy from a vendor with a good return policy. I bought from best buy in US, so luckily I could just return it with no hassle.

One thing I will say though, VR is definitely the future for sim racing. I pray the next gen headsets will look at least equivalent to 1080p AFTER the magnifying lenses do their thing. I could live with that, as I was imagining what that would look like when I had the rift on in Pacrs. I played Rise of Tomb raider in native SBS 3D recently, and it looks bananas up close - mainly because the visuals and texture work is so good that the 3D detail looks amazing. If the Rift 3D (which is superior of course) had that kind of clarity and detail I would still be in it haha. I will definitely be following the next gen VR news with great interest, unfortunately it sounds like its going to be a few years before anything gets close to market...

I'd agree with a lot of this, with caveats.

I only got my Rift up and running for the first time last night but it's obvious that the resolution and SDE is definitely a negative in racing sims. I also came from 4k so the downgrade was pretty severe. I'll definitely do my very best to overlook it though because VR effectively put me in a real 3D car, on a real 3D track, racing real 3D opponents. The experience was almost spiritual.

Even when glancing naturally to the side when overtaking an opponent, to see the other driver sitting there in his car, all as solid 3D entities... it felt alive. All the resolution in the world wouldn't give me that sense of presence on a 2D display. I found it incredible.

There's no doubt that 4k or 8k VR displays will ultimately enhance the immersion and improve the overall experience, but for me these first-gen systems already surpass anything on a 2D display simply because they place me firmly in that world rather than remotely controlling an avatar by proxy. I feel absolutely placed in that car, and on that track, and for me that's more than enough right now.

Roger Prynne
28-07-2017, 11:15
So you like it then :highly_amused:

Mascot
28-07-2017, 12:49
So you like it then :highly_amused:

It's an absolute game changer for sim racing. I'd urge anyone with a capable rig and a FFB wheel to take advantage of the Oculus sale while it lasts, especially with pCARS 2 not too far away. It's a whole new experience entirely.