PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions for PC2

J4M35_R
16-07-2017, 07:30
l was a massive fan of the first game and I'm looking forward to the new game in September , however here are a couple of questions l keep asking myself.

Has the flag system improved since PC1 as l thought yellow flags and other race controls could be improved. I always thought it would be cool seeing the marshals trackside waving the flags.

Will we have the option to remove static steering wheels this time round?

ffb - In PC1 l thought the road feel when driving in a straight line was very weak on bumpy tracks, has this been improved?

Many thanks.

Rodgerzzz
16-07-2017, 10:38
I'm fairly sure that some cars have static wheels due to the Motec display being on the wheel rather than on the dashboard. I've seen other games do it like Assetto for the same reason. Don't have a clue about the other 2 points but hope that's answered the static steering wheel question!

FIA
17-07-2017, 00:15
From the new videos iv seen this video, he put this in the info below; Wheel shake is not animation - all from the road and FFB in game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA95EZTMc3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA95EZTMc3U

dault3883
17-07-2017, 00:30
what do you mean by static wheels?

FIA
17-07-2017, 00:33
Think he means the wheel stays still in the car as you drive. even when turning

dault3883
17-07-2017, 00:42
Think he means the wheel stays still in the car as you drive. even when turning

iv never had that problem

FIA
17-07-2017, 00:52
Its an option in game so the wheel stays static so its not putting you off as you drive, if your using your own wheel, you may only want to see your wheel move, the one in your own hands..

dault3883
17-07-2017, 00:57
Its an option in game so the wheel stays static so its not putting you off as you drive, if your using your own wheel, you may only want to see your wheel move, the one in your own hands..

i dont look at the wheel but if i did i think it not moving would freak me out

Mahjik
17-07-2017, 01:07
Has the flag system improved since PC1 as l thought yellow flags and other race controls could be improved. I always thought it would be cool seeing the marshals trackside waving the flags.

The way the AI reacts to flags has improvements. SMS is trying to get waving flags with marshals in but we'll have to see if it's something they can do for release (or something that may come later).

Will we have the option to remove static steering wheels this time round?

It will be the same as PC1. The driver/wheel animations can be removed. If the steering wheel has a Motec style display, the wheel cannot be removed.

ffb - In PC1 l thought the road feel when driving in a straight line was very weak on bumpy tracks, has this been improved?

There have been some improvements in this space but we'll have to see what SMS can do for release (i.e. some of the improvements in this area caused problems in other areas so they have to see if they can keep the good and remove the bad).

hkraft300
17-07-2017, 08:23
i dont look at the wheel but if i did i think it not moving would freak me out

You wouldn't notice. Just becomes part of the static dash without the arms moving about.
What is more distracting to me is the animated arms, now that I have a wheel.

Roger Prynne
17-07-2017, 08:53
what do you mean by static wheels?

iv never had that problem

You have the option to turn off the Wheel and hands (especially good for people that have the wheel as close to the screen as possible and match where your physical wheel is)
Some cars have Motec displays\lights etc on the wheel and these are still visible when you have wheel and hands disabled, but will be static.

Fanapryde
17-07-2017, 09:12
I always have cockpit wheel/driver disabled.
Cars with the Motec (or other) display in the wheel, will show the static wheel (no arms).
Plenty of them: Bac Mono, some LMP's, Dallara, Ford Falcon V8, FA, FB to name a few profit from that.
Since my real wheel covers the virtual one (I adjust cockpit view to match), this is the best solution for me. I don't want to see a moving virtual wheel, let alone virtual arms...

Edit: leaving the rig to have a drink resulted in being treed by Roger :o

At first, the Falcon V8 showed no wheel at all and there was no Motec display. SMS changed that after a few weeks.

J4M35_R
17-07-2017, 14:00
The motec or static wheel in other sims like AC you can remove them if you wish, it's by no means a deal breaker but PCars didn't even give you the option.

The flags in quick race never worked in the first PCars and l was just wondering if they have been improved.

An example of the ffb problem feeling flat in a straight line is on the back or final straight of the nordschleife. This is a bumpy part of the track and other sims you can feel the bumps but in PCars it felt very smooth. I was hoping this was also looked at.

The new game looks great though, can't wait.

hkraft300
17-07-2017, 14:21
An example of the ffb problem feeling flat in a straight line is on the back or final straight of the nordschleife. This is a bumpy part of the track and other sims you can feel the bumps but in PCars it felt very smooth. I was hoping this was also looked at.

The new game looks great though, can't wait.

What were you driving?

Mad Al
17-07-2017, 14:57
Hovercraft..

hkraft300
17-07-2017, 15:11
Hovercraft..

:glee:

dault3883
17-07-2017, 15:23
i was on a segway LOL

J4M35_R
17-07-2017, 20:51
Hovercraft..

You are spot on, l just drove a Radical round nordschleife and there is 0 ffb along the back straight, it's not bad in the corners though. But it was like a hovercraft along the straights. Just have to wait to see if it's better in PC2.

OddTimer
17-07-2017, 20:56
question on Silverstone...the curbs are still red in PCars2, any chance they can be updated with black curbs like in real life?

dault3883
17-07-2017, 21:05
question on Silverstone...the curbs are still red in PCars2, any chance they can be updated with black curbs like in real life?

red curbs easier to see

Schnizz58
17-07-2017, 21:11
You are spot on, l just drove a Radical round nordschleife and there is 0 ffb along the back straight, it's not bad in the corners though. But it was like a hovercraft along the straights. Just have to wait to see if it's better in PC2.
I think the first step would be to get the bumps into the track model. When tracks have bumps in them, for example Spa just after La Source, you definitely feel them. So I imagine it's more of an issue of getting an accurate model than it is with the game itself. The new track scanning technique using drones would appear to help this situation by creating more accurate tracks in the first place.

On the other hand, one thing that would make for a more realistic feel is "road noise" -- for lack of a better term. Even when a surface is very smooth (IRL), you can feel a tiny amount of vibration in your hands as you drive. So I think it would help if a small amount of white noise were injected into the FFB signal to try to reproduce that feeling of road noise.

Mahjik
17-07-2017, 21:20
On the other hand, one thing that would make for a more realistic feel is "road noise" -- for lack of a better term. Even when a surface is very smooth (IRL), you can feel a tiny amount of vibration in your hands as you drive. So I think it would help if a small amount of white noise were injected into the FFB signal to try to reproduce that feeling of road noise.

It causes an issue with the scanned tracks. SMS has tried this... This is what I was eluding to in my post above (that solving that problem causes other issues). We'll have to see what SMS can sort out for the release.

OddTimer
17-07-2017, 21:22
red curbs easier to see

yeah...tell Lewis Hamilton that....it looks much cooler in black...and to be honest, most curbs are red anyways.

dault3883
17-07-2017, 21:37
yeah...tell Lewis Hamilton that....it looks much cooler in black...and to be honest, most curbs are red anyways.

most curbs are red for exactly the reason i stated they are easier to see while yes black may look good but when the track rubbers in at those speeds the curb and the track tend to blend together a bit instead of stick out when they are red due to the contrast of the grey/black track and the grass or sand or gravel

Fanapryde
17-07-2017, 21:39
For the Radical I use a bit more Fx in the FFB settings.
The Nordschleife straight is not that bumpy in game, but no way my Radical feels like a Hovercraft. I get road noise allright (Fanatec V2).

Mahjik
17-07-2017, 21:40

Yes, red... While some tracks will be updated, SMS won't be chasing some of the smaller updates circuits will do from time to time (i.e. some circuits use different curbs for different vehicle types).

DECATUR PLAYA
17-07-2017, 22:18
The way the AI reacts to flags has improvements. SMS is trying to get waving flags with marshals in but we'll have to see if it's something they can do for release (or something that may come later).

It will be the same as PC1. The driver/wheel animations can be removed. If the steering wheel has a Motec style display, the wheel cannot be removed.

There have been some improvements in this space but we'll have to see what SMS can do for release (i.e. some of the improvements in this area caused problems in other areas so they have to see if they can keep the good and remove the bad).

Do the flags work correctly. I think the caution system is the only big feature that hasn't been shown.

Mahjik
17-07-2017, 22:25
Do the flags work correctly. I think the caution system is the only big feature that hasn't been shown.

You are going to have to be more specific. What specifically are you looking for with regards to "flags"? That's too general to provide a comment.

DECATUR PLAYA
18-07-2017, 01:55
You are going to have to be more specific. What specifically are you looking for with regards to "flags"? That's too general to provide a comment.

I think I read something here about the flag system being the yellow 60 system or something like that. I also wanted to know about the flag system for ovals. It was a discussion about it a while back but I can't remember all the specifics. I just wondered basically is the flag system whatever it is working properly. I sort of remember the discussion but I don't think it was confirmed stuff.

LukeC
18-07-2017, 03:25
So is the cockpit wheel animation in Pcars 2 now force feedback derived, or is it still canned?

Mahjik
18-07-2017, 04:05
So is the cockpit wheel animation in Pcars 2 now force feedback derived, or is it still canned?

There is some non-FFB based animation as there was in PC1.

LukeC
18-07-2017, 04:46
There is some non-FFB based animation as there was in PC1.

Thanks, it's just that in the Daytona video it doesn't look as though there is any canned effects. Either way, the game is looking great; easily the driving game of the year.

Mahjik
18-07-2017, 12:52
Thanks, it's just that in the Daytona video it doesn't look as though there is any canned effects. Either way, the game is looking great; easily the driving game of the year.

The Daytona track is a little overly bumpy right now so that is not the best video when looking for those animations. If someone were to run one of the older tracks, like Catalunya GP, you'd see it down the main straight.

OddTimer
18-07-2017, 14:48
Speaking of wheel animations...on controller, it looks like the wheel locks at a very low angle. I've been watching some videos, especially the one below and you can see the stick all the way to right/left, but the wheel will only move a what, 180 degrees? I thought in PCars 2 the wheel animations on controller would emulate the wheel rotation, like Assetto Corsa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjvZrgwZt6g

dan2312
22-07-2017, 18:28
Speaking of the flag system in this thread, ive seen no mention of blue flags.

Something that really needs implementing in the Endurance races.

In multiplayer is there gonna be black and white flags then a black flag for those that just drive\ram like muppets?

Mahjik
22-07-2017, 18:35
Speaking of the flag system in this thread, ive seen no mention of blue flags.

There are blue flags, yes. However, they will use standard rules and not F1 rules. Standard rules is blue flag equals "Faster Car Approaching". It doesn't mean pull over.

In multiplayer is there gonna be black and white flags then a black flag for those that just drive\ram like muppets?

No.

J4M35_R
26-07-2017, 14:19
There are blue flags, yes. However, they will use standard rules and not F1 rules. Standard rules is blue flag equals "Faster Car Approaching". It doesn't mean pull over.

No.

So far in all the YouTube clips that l have been watching l haven't seen one yellow flag. Are they going to be in the final release?

Mahjik
26-07-2017, 15:10
So far in all the YouTube clips that l have been watching l haven't seen one yellow flag. Are they going to be in the final release?

I'll take a look. I will be honest and say it's been a while since I've seen one so I'm not sure if they have been removed or not. I did see a white flag (virtual) thrown this week doing some testing.