PDA

View Full Version : Question about opponent skill level and aggression

Trippul G
16-07-2017, 20:56
Watching some of the new interface videos, and I see that there are now separate sliders to select both Opponent Skill and Opponent Aggression.

Will there be some amount of variability in these numbers, to account for the variation that you'd find in drivers on a real life grid? I'd imagine aggression would/should have a larger amount of variability, where skill level would/should be more consistent yet still slightly variable.

moustace
16-07-2017, 21:09
Some of the videos I've seen seem a bit odd, the AI is quicker than the player in and out of corners but lack straight line speed. So even if the AIs gets a good exit the player still pass them on the straights (with much higher speed, even in the samer car!), like if the AI is holding back.

I find this a bit weird because in real life a slower driver would lose time in the corners (braking too early, missing apex, not accelerating fast enough out of corners) and not on the straights compared to a more experienced and better driver.

Roger Prynne
16-07-2017, 21:12
^ Depends on how they had the AI set up.

moustace
16-07-2017, 21:16
^ Off course it does, but we don't know exactly how to set it up right yet, since very few of the videos say anything about AI's skill and aggression. I'm excited to test this out for myself!

Roger Prynne
16-07-2017, 21:21
^ Off course it does, but we don't know exactly how to set it up right yet, since very few of the videos say anything about AI's skill and aggression. I'm excited to test this out for myself!

That's the only way you are going to learn, because it also depends on your skill level as well.

GenBrien
16-07-2017, 21:40
is the AI more consistent between categories now?

In Pcars1 I had to set AI to 90 for GTs/LMPs, but something like 70 for open wheels

Trippul G
16-07-2017, 21:49

In Pcars1 I had to set AI to 90 for GTs/LMPs, but something like 70 for open wheels

Funny, I found it to be the exact opposite. Open wheels, I tend to run about an 85-90, most other categories, I'm somewhere around a 70-75.

I guess driver skill and bias comes a lot more into play than we may realize.

I'm ok with needing to maybe fiddle a bit with the AI difficulty between races / categories, I just want to know if every driver is going to behave identically according to the settings you enter, or if there will be some amount of built-in variation.

moustace
16-07-2017, 22:36

Also in Pcars1 the numbers in the same category would differ quite a lot from track to track. Starting from the back of the field in the GT3-class I can win a race at the Nordschleife with AI at 100 but struggle to finish top ten doing the same at Bathurst with AI at 75.

Mahjik
16-07-2017, 23:26
Will there be some amount of variability in these numbers, to account for the variation that you'd find in drivers on a real life grid? I'd imagine aggression would/should have a larger amount of variability, where skill level would/should be more consistent yet still slightly variable.

Yes. There is some variation within the setting for the pool of AI drivers. It won't be an extremely wide variation, but a 2-3% variation.

The AI is more cautious in the open wheelers for PC2. It was nearly impossible to have good AI races with open wheelers for PC1 due to the AI's liking of a little rubbing. Some of the recent PC2 videos show off running pretty close to the AI and doing side by side's in the corners with the AI when driving some of the open wheelers. ;)

STEELJOCKEY
17-07-2017, 01:11
There is sometimes when I am running against AI that I feel like I'm running against real people