PDA

View Full Version : Game re-setting to default install

The Pope Of Grope
17-07-2017, 01:19
iv lost count how many times this has happened to me, i have the steam version of project cars, and iv never heard of it happening to anyone else, not on line or in the forums.

my problem is that every now and again the game just reverts to what can only be described as a first time install. all progress of any kind is gone, no save games, no saved pictures or race footage, no set ups, its just a fresh install, the game hasnt re installed its self that i know of... (if that is even possible i dont know)

when you fresh install the game you get the introduction voice over ( womans voice ) on each screen in the menu sections of the game, i cant take screen captures of them because for some reason they always come out black... everything else screen shots fine with prtscn and then pasted to paint but not project cars. (shrugs shoulders)...

anyway iv found a pic on line of what i mean (im sure you know what im talking about but im putting it here just to avoid confusion) 238791

thats what keeps happening. anyone else have this? what could be causing this?... steam?..

i also enter online races that fail to let me load or edit set ups.. in online races the others can edit and save setups but im stuck with a default setup that i cant change.

how can these things still be happening years after the release and numerous patches..

there are more things that go wrong in the game but this is the most annoying as its a start from scratch every time.

please help me obi wan your my only hope. . no wait thats starwars .. still need help though !

Mr P Grope

Mahjik
17-07-2017, 01:22
The best thing to do is to backup your profile manually every now and then:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22318-WARNING-Backup-your-Profiles-immediately!&p=1193556&viewfull=1#post1193556

Given the infinite number of hardware and software configurations out there is near impossible to know why this happens for a small set of users. I was suspect you might have an overactive anti-virus/malware agent running on your system. You can put exclusions in for the Project CARS folders which may help, but the main thing is to do some manual backups.

Mad Al
17-07-2017, 11:19
Anti virus crapping on the save file locations?

make sure to add exceptions for
Documents\Project CARS
<Steam install folder>\userdata\<Your Steam ID>\234630

blinkngone
17-07-2017, 21:14
I have the same problem as the OP. I did what Mad Al had suggested, saving a copy of my profile, but this didn't help. The profiles I saved did not play very well so I ended up deleting and starting over from Steam. I now have screenshots of some of my setups so I can manually enter them, saving me some time at least. This has happened with 2 different anti virus software packages so I don't know if this is a problem. I do have BD now and it seems there are issues with this software and sometimes with some other computer software. It seems to happen to me about every three months, almost like a quarterly update:( At least for me it doesn't happen as often as it appears to mess up the OP.I now save a profile to a USB drive every day, hopefully I will find one that works if/when it happens again. I did notice my mouse was sticking on the pages right before the crash so I will keep an eye out for this in the future, and the mouse cursor was locked up in the upper right corner when the game reset. On the plus side I am getting better at quickly getting my cars reset with all the practice.

blinkngone
17-07-2017, 21:34
Hey Mad Al, my software has an option where I can put in a Game Profile where my anti virus will leave me alone while playing, is this what you think I should do?

BullWinkle
17-07-2017, 21:57
Hey Mad Al, my software has an option where I can put in a Game Profile where my anti virus will leave me alone while playing, is this what you think I should do?

It's best to put the locations MadAl suggested in the exception list in your AV software.
and/or
C:\Users\YOU\Documents\Project CARS
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\pCars
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata

blinkngone
18-07-2017, 00:54
Thanks BullWinkle:) That's what I thought Mad Al was saying. My AV software has game profiles and I thought I would try it with PCars.

The Pope Of Grope
21-07-2017, 20:50
Anti virus crapping on the save file locations?

make sure to add exceptions for
Documents\Project CARS
<Steam install folder>\userdata\<Your Steam ID>\234630

thanks guys/girls ill try all these and report on progress in a few weeks