PDA

View Full Version : VR Settings

Cote Dazur
25-07-2017, 13:40
What are the settings that will yield the best visuals in VR while still delivering the best FPS?
What are the graphic features that can be put to the lowest in VR and still not affect the image quality significantly.

Mad Al
25-07-2017, 16:10
What are the settings that will yield the best visuals in VR while still delivering the best FPS?
What are the graphic features that can be put to the lowest in VR and still not affect the image quality significantly.

Let's start with.. can you run Project CARS even remotely well on your particular rig...
(Over there ->, in another tab, with access to the spoiler button to see your specs.. I'm assuming they are up to date.. I'm guessing you may be a little marginal on Project CARS - the R9 270X is probably under min spec now as mentioned on the Steam store page for PC2...)

With a CV1, I'm currently running MSAA medium, everything on low except car detail on medium, on a GTX1060 and it looks fine (OK, you get some object pop up ahead and some pop out in the mirror)..
Does it look better with some Super sampling and higher settings (and more GPU grunt)... yes of course, is it perfectly usable on low.. yep and better than PC1 (there have been improvements to help with some of the shimmering issues and improvements in the AA) and they are also actively trying to squeeze more out to improve the performance.
I have tried running on my third machine (not in VR, obviously) and at low everything and 10880p, it ran at a usable frame rate (i.e. over 30) with a full field of AI at Le Mans in a storm... (min specs being a 680, is around a 1050Ti or R9 280X on the AMD side.. based purely on videocardbenchmark.net numbers, so that is well under it)

You will be glad to hear your other friend, the Fake Sheikh, has been taken out, hung by his toenails until he cries enough and put back in his box never to be allowed near a wheel again... any wheel shake you now see will be because of actual FFB... (but still there for gamepad use..)
(the ref to "Fake Sheikh", instead of Fake Shake, may be missed by international audiences...)

EDIT
And oops, thought I was still in the PC2 section.. are you actually asking about PC or PC2 ?

Cote Dazur
25-07-2017, 19:41
@Mad Al my question is not what setting are you guy using, since as you realize it is very dependent on what PC/CPU/GPU you have.
My question is "What are the settings that will yield the best visuals in VR while still delivering the best FPS?
What are the graphic features that can be put to the lowest in VR and still not affect the image quality significantly."

I am enjoying VR just fine with my present rig, in all SIM who have it at the moment, including PCars, which is my favorite as far as VR is concerned.

My interest is more on what can be pushed without too much performance impact and what should be left on low or off settings.
this is the PCars thread, so, yes , I am asking about PCars VR set ups.
I am not sure what the comment about fake shake are about and how they relate to this thread?
I also posted a question in the PCars 2 Thread asking what has been improved in 2 as far as VR is concerned.
I am not sure if my info is up to date, I do not seem to have access to a spoiler button on this forum, is " Over there ->" supposed to be a link, it does not work for me.

Mad Al
25-07-2017, 21:30
@Mad Al my question is not what setting are you guy using, since as you realize it is very dependent on what PC/CPU/GPU you have.
My question is "What are the settings that will yield the best visuals in VR while still delivering the best FPS?
What are the graphic features that can be put to the lowest in VR and still not affect the image quality significantly."

I am enjoying VR just fine with my present rig, in all SIM who have it at the moment, including PCars, which is my favorite as far as VR is concerned.

My interest is more on what can be pushed without too much performance impact and what should be left on low or off settings.
this is the PCars thread, so, yes , I am asking about PCars VR set ups.
I am not sure what the comment about fake shake are about and how they relate to this thread?
I also posted a question in the PCars 2 Thread asking what has been improved in 2 as far as VR is concerned.
I am not sure if my info is up to date, I do not seem to have access to a spoiler button on this forum, is " Over there ->" supposed to be a link, it does not work for me.

You previously asked about the fake wheel shake and was it going to be removed for PC2, answer, yes for wheel users (but that may already have been answered on GT Planet or some other place Ian occasionally frequents)

"Over there" is another products forum, on which you are also asking questions about VR and PC2 in a specific "chit chat room" thread about PC2.. in which you have a button labelled "Spoiler: PC hardware and config" which may or may not be up to date (I know people forget sometimes to update sigs etc to reflect hardware upgrades)

Back to this specific question.. what is your hardware and what sort of settings are you currently running.. and are you specifically looking to improve IQ in PC1 ?

Cote Dazur
25-07-2017, 22:39
You previously asked about the fake wheel shake and was it going to be removed for PC2, answer, yes for wheel users (but that may already have been answered on GT Planet or some other place Ian occasionally frequents)

"Over there" is another products forum, on which you are also asking questions about VR and PC2 in a specific "chit chat room" thread about PC2.. in which you have a button labelled "Spoiler: PC hardware and config" which may or may not be up to date (I know people forget sometimes to update sigs etc to reflect hardware upgrades)

Back to this specific question.. what is your hardware and what sort of settings are you currently running.. and are you specifically looking to improve IQ in PC1 ?
Thank you @Mad Al for your reply. Glad to read that the wheel shake will be gone in PCars 2, also thank you for the tip on changing camera when looking at a car standing next to it in VR, the non finish back make sense as a mesure to optimize performance, even though in some car, like the Lotus 49, if you look back to see where an other driver is, you can see the rear wheels are not "real"
Great to also learn about the parallax for the rear view mirror, are they adjustable as well?
My set up in my spoiler is accurate, I will post my setting when I am close to my rig, typing on my IPad right now.
Thank you for being willing to help me. I am overall very happy with what I see in VR driving PCars, to me it is the closest to real I have experienced driving in VR. After trial and error I came up with a nice compromise, which in my book is the best you can hope from any SIM when dealing with VR. But being a compromise if there is room for improvement while preserving the actual performance, I am interested.

Cote Dazur
26-07-2017, 14:57
I have tried changing camera view to have a look around the car. It does not fix the issue that the car is not finished in the back.
All the camera view that allow being next to the car are not different than cockpit view they are also not finished, Except chase camera, but then you are not close to the car and cannot walk around it.

Mad Al
26-07-2017, 18:01
I could have sworn the roof cam also worked.. hmm..

anyway once out of the car hit ctrl+K then move using keys

W up
S down
A forward
D back
Q left
E right
Numpad 4 & 6 Rotate left/right
Numpad 7 & 9 Forward/back in direction viewed
Numpad 8 & 2 Pitch forward/back
Numpad 1 & 3 Roll left/right
Numpad 5 reset view