PDA

View Full Version : Improving On Consistency?

Jaeke20
30-07-2017, 02:59
Im having some troubles improving my lap times on Donington Park GP. The car I've been using is the Ford Sierra Cosworth with a basic setup of my own and my average time is 1:39:00. I did hit a 1:36:XX in a race and I cant recreate the time. It was a very close race and I was pushing very hard. Its frustrating seeing times 10-20 seconds faster in the same car. I've been banging my head on a wall trying to improve.

I am fairly new to racing at a competitive level, I rigorously played GT5 and GT6, but with a controller, and I wasn't very competitive. I now play on PS4 with a G29 Wheel.

Any tips on improving consistency would be extremely helpful.

Mahjik
30-07-2017, 03:02
There are some good tips in the following thread:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?50856-Do-a-good-deed-help-a-rookie!

They aren't directly related to consistency, but there is some good information in general in that thread.

Jaeke20
30-07-2017, 03:08
Thank you, I read threw it already and its things I've mostly been doing. I have been introduced to racing theory and have been studying.

Mahjik
30-07-2017, 03:21
Consistency is all about markers. You need visual markers to hit which makes you consistent. It's not always brake markers, it could be a fence, or hay bail, or whatever, but that's how you get consistent.

Jaeke20
30-07-2017, 03:28
Sorry! The title is supposed to be "Improving ON Consistency" I am consistent, I just cant get faster.

hkraft300
30-07-2017, 04:30
Sorry! The title is supposed to be "Improving ON Consistency" I am consistent, I just cant get faster.

This will make you faster :

Consistency is all about markers. You need visual markers to hit which makes you consistent. It's not always brake markers, it could be a fence, or hay bail, or whatever, but that's how you get consistent.

You might be "over-driving" the car by pushing too hard for lap times.
Slow it down. Find a rhythm. Brake early, correct your line, hit the apex, use all of the track. Go back to basics.

Jaeke20
30-07-2017, 05:16
You might be "over-driving" the car by pushing too hard for lap times.
Slow it down. Find a rhythm. Brake early, correct your line, hit the apex, use all of the track. Go back to basics.

So if I hit a "wall" in laptimes, double back and go over fundamentals again? At what point do setups come into play?

hkraft300
30-07-2017, 13:07
So if I hit a "wall" in laptimes, double back and go over fundamentals again?

Yes. You'll discover mistakes/deficiencies and gain lap time.

At what point do setups come into play?

Depends what you want from the car. Anyone can be plenty competitive with default setups in a sprint race. Tyre pressures, brake temperatures, downforce and final drive ratio changes will net you the most gains.

Mahjik
30-07-2017, 14:44

Being faster, and being consistent aren't necessarily the same thing (quite different actually). You have to use data and change what you are doing to figure out what is faster:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?50802-Analysing-my-own-efforts&p=1343982&viewfull=1#post1343982

DECATUR PLAYA
30-07-2017, 16:42
Im having some troubles improving my lap times on Donington Park GP. The car I've been using is the Ford Sierra Cosworth with a basic setup of my own and my average time is 1:39:00. I did hit a 1:36:XX in a race and I cant recreate the time. It was a very close race and I was pushing very hard. Its frustrating seeing times 10-20 seconds faster in the same car. I've been banging my head on a wall trying to improve.

I am fairly new to racing at a competitive level, I rigorously played GT5 and GT6, but with a controller, and I wasn't very competitive. I now play on PS4 with a G29 Wheel.

Any tips on improving consistency would be extremely helpful.

Getting faster is 50% setup and 50% driving. Your probably losing loads of time thru the turns. You need to learn proper corner entry, mid turn, and corner exit techniques.

From a setup perspective your car needs to be fast to get up near the top guys but having a fast car is not the only solution. Once it's fast then you have to drive it fast which involves cornering.

You can lose up 1.5 seconds or more per turn to the faster guys. If a track has 10 turns then that's 11.5 seconds that you lose to the faster guys.

Bad corner entry forces you to do more to get the car into the turn which cost time. This then forces the car to be bad at the mid turn point. Being bad in the middle of a turn then forces the car to be bad on corner exit. If your not good on corner exit then you exit the turn with lower speed which effects your top speed before entering the next turn.

Getting thru each turn perfectly is what gets you a perfect lap. Perfect laps are not easy. Compare a perfect lap to a perfect 10 in gymnastics or figure skating or diving. The best athletes in the world don't just put up perfect 10's. It requires lots of practice and then perfect execution.

Jaeke20
30-07-2017, 18:08
Depends what you want from the car. Anyone can be plenty competitive with default setups in a sprint race. Tyre pressures, brake temperatures, downforce and final drive ratio changes will net you the most gains.

Thanks you, I've changed a bit more than that, but those are things I've definitely changed

Being faster, and being consistent aren't necessarily the same thing (quite different actually). You have to use data and change what you are doing to figure out what is faster:

I dont have access to some of them good telemetry programs like PC does. I have the PCars app, but its very basic and I dont think it helps very much. Do you think going over replays is the next best thing?

Getting thru each turn perfectly is what gets you a perfect lap. Perfect laps are not easy. Compare a perfect lap to a perfect 10 in gymnastics or figure skating or diving. The best athletes in the world don't just put up perfect 10's. It requires lots of practice and then perfect execution.

Practice, Practice, Practice. But proper practice.

Im also thinking I should switch cars to something a bit more appropriate for going back to basics. Any ideas?

Synystr
30-07-2017, 18:55
Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps. Laps.

Edit: Oh you wanna be faster... Not consistent.

DECATUR PLAYA
30-07-2017, 18:57
Thanks you, I've changed a bit more than that, but those are things I've definitely changed

I dont have access to some of them good telemetry programs like PC does. I have the PCars app, but its very basic and I dont think it helps very much. Do you think going over replays is the next best thing?

Practice, Practice, Practice. But proper practice.

Im also thinking I should switch cars to something a bit more appropriate for going back to basics. Any ideas?

There is more data than just telemetry. Use your speedometer and rpm meter. Use your potential and fastest sector times. Use your racing line. Use your overall lap time. There are many ways to compile data without telemetry.

The car doesn't matter. Just learn to drive whatever car you use on the edge and under control. Being smooth is the secret to speed.

hkraft300
30-07-2017, 21:15
The car doesn't matter. Just learn to drive whatever car you use on the edge and under control. Being smooth is the secret to speed.

Start with a slower car. Ginetta G40/GT4/Group A/Formula Rookie. So you can practice your technique and timing. LMP cars are fast and forgiving. Formula cars are fast and everything happens too fast for you to analyse where/what you did wrong.

DECATUR PLAYA
30-07-2017, 22:05
Start with a slower car. Ginetta G40/GT4/Group A/Formula Rookie. So you can practice your technique and timing. LMP cars are fast and forgiving. Formula cars are fast and everything happens too fast for you to analyse where/what you did wrong.

^Agreed.

He is using the Ford Sierra Cosworth. That's not a bad middle ground type of car. Unless he has the wsstegate all the way up then it gets fun. That's another reason guys are 10 secs faster than you in that car because they are driving it with the wsstegate all the way up and no damage. I think the wastegate comes set pretty low in that car. Open up the wastegate and that thing will fly.

Jaeke20
30-07-2017, 22:09
^Agreed.

He is using the Ford Sierra Cosworth. That's not a bad middle ground type of car. Unless he has the wsstegate all the way up then it gets fun. That's another reason guys are 10 secs faster than you in that car because they are driving it with the wsstegate all the way up and no damage. I think the wastegate comes set pretty low in that car. Open up the wastegate and that thing will fly.

Its up a bit, but corner exit becomes sketchy. The higher the boost, the bigger the lag as well, so if you mess up and drop your RPMS too much, you're literally lagging behind haha

ossyoscar
31-07-2017, 07:11
Use ghosts, watch a bit faster people on Youtube; you'll see a new approach to the track

The higher the boost, the bigger the lag as well, so if you mess up and drop your RPMS too much, you're literally lagging behind haha

http://replygif.net/i/1459.gif

Alfisti
01-08-2017, 16:33
The easiest way to become mildly competitive is to brake early and get on the gas hard and early. It won't produce crazy fast times but will get you there and thereabouts.