PDA

View Full Version : [RESOLVED] Crashes to Desktop all the time! STEAM PC 1

DuHasstMich
01-08-2017, 04:23
I love this game but it is extremely unstable. I have always gotten crash to desktop, and game freezes requiring me to manually try to kill the game. This often happens in multiplayer, during a long race. I have all updated drivers, nvidia, etc. I've had this rig for YEARS and NO other games do this, except for Ubisoft games which is expected from that incompetent company. THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!

I would not have bought the game had I know it was SO BUGGY!!! THERE IS NO WAY I'M PAYING MONEY FOR PROJECT CARS 2!

I get several types of error messages from the game sub-systems, source code with stack trace. Tonight a new one:

window on desktop: BDbgFatal
File Source Core PlatformAPI BPlatformAPIPC.cpp
Line 228
Fun: MWL::Base::_BPureCall

Pure Virtual Call trapped.

Break or Exit.

Here is a screenshot:

THIS STUPID FORUM WILL NOT LET ME POST A LINK TO STEAM IMAGE!!!!

Because of our Spam Protection System, users with only few posts cannot post links or email addresses. If you need to post a link please wait to have more forum posts or contact a Moderator..

WTF!!!!

Standard intel and NVidia... like I said I've thousands of hours on this rig with other games and not a single crash or freeze. Only with Project Cars.

Looks like these issues have been reported on this forum since 2015? Still not resolved? WTF? Have you not fixed this? Again it will not let me post links to others with this exact same reported problem!!!

bporion
01-08-2017, 20:11
maybe if you calm down and stop swearing someone will help you . we have great people in this forum , if someone can they will try to help . hell of a first post friend !

sublimelime
02-08-2017, 06:00
I had the same problem after a few months of playing. Even after a reinstall of the game same issue. I play GTA V for hours and no issue.

I gave up on the game :(

I will get PC2 though!

Silraed
02-08-2017, 09:14
Nailing down the cause for a crash isn't easy when it isn't widespread and common, especially since majority of people won't bother to report them or provide any kind of troubleshooting information. Forums not letting you link until you have enough posts is a common and effective anti-spam system as well.

If you're after help then listing your full system specs including OS and any overclocks would be a good start. I'm sure there are still people around who can offer some help.

sublimelime
04-08-2017, 20:45
Nailing down the cause for a crash isn't easy when it isn't widespread and common, especially since majority of people won't bother to report them or provide any kind of troubleshooting information. Forums not letting you link until you have enough posts is a common and effective anti-spam system as well.

If you're after help then listing your full system specs including OS and any overclocks would be a good start. I'm sure there are still people around who can offer some help.

there is nearly a 300 page thread with crash dumps and everything. They have more than enough information on the crashing to desktop.

Mahjik
04-08-2017, 20:53
there is nearly a 300 page thread with crash dumps and everything. They have more than enough information on the crashing to desktop.

Unfortunately, not ever crash is the same... Even something like memory corruption can make different crash fingerprints each time.

sublimelime
06-08-2017, 22:50
Unfortunately, not ever crash is the same... Even something like memory corruption can make different crash fingerprints each time.

no offense, but this is developer stuff, not troubleshooting territory. The crash will tell you where the crash occurred (what file and line) and from there it's time to debug. I've not seen this done but was probably done during the betas.

Mahjik
06-08-2017, 23:27
no offense, but this is developer stuff, not troubleshooting territory. The crash will tell you where the crash occurred (what file and line) and from there it's time to debug. I've not seen this done but was probably done during the betas.

I've done this for a living (not for SMS, but started coding a long time ago, think 80's, but moved out of coding recently). It's not that simple. *If* you are lucky enough to even have the line of code, and the stack is not corrupted (which it is 90% of the time), that doesn't tell you why or how it caused an issue.. Most of the time the issue is somewhere else, but it just took that long to break. It's just not that simple.

sublimelime
07-08-2017, 03:59
I've done this for a living (not for SMS, but started coding a long time ago, think 80's, but moved out of coding recently). It's not that simple. *If* you are lucky enough to even have the line of code, and the stack is not corrupted (which it is 90% of the time), that doesn't tell you why or how it caused an issue.. Most of the time the issue is somewhere else, but it just took that long to break. It's just not that simple.

never said it's simple. The devs need to debug.

Sankyo
07-08-2017, 08:47
And people are stating that having an error message and the line of code where it happened doesn't mean that it's the code that is at fault. We've seen plenty of cases where machine-specific issues caused errors like these. Can we stop going round in circles now? Either you provide more info on your system so people here can try and help solving your issue, or you move on.

Mahjik
07-08-2017, 13:48

Some crashes can take years to find... My team had tracked a crash for 5 years before being able to understand and fix it. Ultimately, what lead to finding it was another change that made the issue worse. When you can make something worse, you can more easily replicate the problem and fix it.

The issue with crashes is that many of them are PC specific. If you cannot replicate it with a developer debug environment, fixing it is next to impossible. While I'm not a SMS developer, I don't have the crashes mentioned in this thread or the others. If the developers don't have them either, it's extremely difficult to address (and validate that it was addressed).

sublimelime
27-08-2017, 08:29
well well well, time to admit failure on my part. I found out my graphics card power connector wasn't seated all the way :shame:

game is running perfectly once again

Mahjik
27-08-2017, 16:22
well well well, time to admit failure on my part. I found out my graphics card power connector wasn't seated all the way :shame:

game is running perfectly once again

Thank you for posting back. Maybe this will help someone else in the future.