PDA

View Full Version : Game Design - Career mode - moving up in tiers

Javaniceday
03-08-2017, 00:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6FMrU_qZnE

Devs.... I hope this isn't dismissed as a "just your opinion" type thread. The way career mode is set up, as based on these series of videos is a misstep. It's a step down from pCARS1.

If the only way to move onto a new tier, or an international championship within the same tier is to get 1st place in the championship, it will defeat the purpose of the career mode. You should get rewarded for doing well.

It's really important this is addressed because the reward system is so artificial. If you keep it the way it is, folks will just race with slow AI so they can "win" and move up, and good players will race with challenging AI, and if they fall short and get 2nd place, the reward is null because there isn't a a reward - a digital trophy is meaningless if you don't get to move up.

If you finish 2nd place in the championship, that should be enough for teams to notice you and offer you a ride.

If you're consistently on the top 10 in a slower team, you should get career offers from stronger teams within you tier, or an offer from a slow team in a higher tier.

If you're always on the podiums in your tier, strong teams in a higher tier should be competing for you to drive for them.

Get creative with how you move along the tiers. Make multiple year contracts; make contracts where the only goal is podiums; make contracts where there's a promise to move to a higher tier with the same company if they race in both tiers (FC to Formla Renault to FA)

You already have achievements - make these the requirements for new contracts that different teams have.

- Complete 3 seasons with the same team Achievement Tier 3 - Teams that value loyalty in Tier 4
- Get 5 wins in a row Achievement Tier 5 - Teams that only care about winning Tier 3
- Slow poke to Champ contender Achievement Tier 3 - Midfield team in Tier 2

If designed right, you could have a scenario where you're in Tier 3, and you really want to race for the top team in Tear 2. To get that offer you MUST win the championship you're participating in. So you go do the championship and you get 2nd or 3rd, and a mid-field team in Tier 2 offers you a ride. But you really want that one contract so you decline and try again in Tier 3, only to again miss it. Again you miss out on that ride, and you're getting tired of Tier 3, so what do you do? Do you move up and hope to get to race for the top team by doing well within Tier 2? Or do you try again in Tier 3? Can you imagine how rewarding it would be to finally be champion and get that offer?

I think this is really important. And for goodness sake, please don't have scripted weather in career mode.

Trippul G
03-08-2017, 05:03
https://youtu.be/Y-cvOBBLhEo

Around the 6:30 mark, the video shows him coming in second in the championship, for both the drivers and team standings. The following screen states "Congratulations, you have successfully completed this series and can now advance to the next in the season, retry this Series from the beginning, or try an alternate Series in the same bracket if available."

It's not entirely clear exactly what each of these options mean, nor is it clear what type/quality of contracts you're offered, but it does seem to indicate that progress can be made without finishing in first place. That alone would be a big step up from PC1.

Javaniceday
03-08-2017, 05:24

Around the 6:30 mark, the video shows him coming in second in the championship, for both the drivers and team standings. The following screen states "Congratulations, you have successfully completed this series and can now advance to the next in the season, retry this Series from the beginning, or try an alternate Series in the same bracket if available."

It's not entirely clear exactly what each of these options mean, nor is it clear what type/quality of contracts you're offered, but it does seem to indicate that progress can be made without finishing in first place. That alone would be a big step up from PC1.

I think all the options are within the same tier. And you're right, being able to get advance coming in 2nd would be an improvement. But the whole concept of "contracts" in this set up are redundant, since you can literally pick any team and livery you want.

Trippul G
03-08-2017, 05:33
I think all the options are within the same tier. And you're right, being able to get advance coming in 2nd would be an improvement. But the whole concept of "contracts" in this set up are redundant, since you can literally pick any team and livery you want.

Do we know that that is definitely the case as you progress through your career? I'm hoping that we only have that option in the very beginning as we've seen, then are only offered a limited number of teams/liveries in subsequent seasons, depending on our results.

Javaniceday
04-08-2017, 00:07
​http://www.projectcarsgame.com/project-cars-2-faq.html?lang=en

CAREER MODE section
"The career mode has been deepened considerably, and fan-requested improvements have been made. Added also are new motorsport type such as Indycar, rallycross, and even ice driving. Refinements mean that you will have a far more in-depth career mode that closely echoes what it’s like to rise to glory in an actual motorsport career, whether you’re starting out in karts, or starting out in a higher, more established tier of motorsport. We’ve also added the ability to shorten the amount of races needed to progress through the career, as well as refined how drivers are offered contracts. We’ve also added a secondary career path where the driver can experience being a factory driver for select manufacturers."

Interesting. This sounds nothing like what's being shown in the builds being played currently out there. It sure would be awesome to get some clarification about this.

Mattze
04-08-2017, 01:08
​Interesting. This sounds nothing like what's being shown in the builds being played currently out there. It sure would be awesome to get some clarification about this.

I would not expect them to write on their own website that the career mode is static and linear and there are only a few improvements over the first part ...

Javaniceday
04-08-2017, 01:50
I would not expect them to write on their own website that the career mode is static and linear and there are only a few improvements over the first part ...

Well, certainly not, but for them to write "The career mode has been deepened considerably" when in fact it's been nerfed into irrelevance seems quite misleading, which I can't imagine is true. If it were the case it would be much easier to ignore the issue altogether, and never answer any questions about it.

I only wish someone at SMS would confirm what is happening with the Career mode.

Trippul G
04-08-2017, 04:47
^^...somehow I get the feeling we're going to have to wait til September 22 and find out for ourselves. :suspicion:

Mattze
04-08-2017, 11:24
Most of the game that I've seen was incredible, but the career mode is the Achilles' heel. I hope they optimize it until release, but I think there aren't many things that are still changing at this point of development.

shiftee
04-08-2017, 15:18

does this mean I could choose to start US series in rookie formula, and win or lose then race UK series, and then Asia series before moving up to the next tier if I wanted? I can't remember if you can move to a different series if you turned down the offer to move up in Pcars 1 and return to rookie formula for example, I think I was forced to race the same exact series - same tracks and same exact weather. hope I can do them all, as I just want variety and longer career series.

I find it odd that they added an option for a shorter series, but not a longer one. were people complaining 4 race weekends was too long before they could move up?! I like options, but I wish they added Short/Normal/Long. As a strictly offline career guy, I really hope they come through with offline custom championships after release...especially once the DLC tracks start coming out. I want to add them to my career series races to get some use out of them...

Schnizz58
04-08-2017, 15:21
does this mean I could choose to start US series in rookie formula, and win or lose then race UK series, and then Asia series before moving up to the next tier if I wanted?
That's how I read it.

I can't remember if you can move to a different series if you turned down the offer to move up in Pcars 1 and return to rookie formula for example, I think I was forced to race the same exact series - same tracks and same exact weather. hope I can do them all, as I just want variety and longer career series.
No, you could return to the same tier but race a different series. For example, if you were in Formula Rookie and just completed the UK series followed by the World Championship, you could race the US series next season.

Mattze
05-08-2017, 11:44
I find it odd that they added an option for a shorter series, but not a longer one. were people complaining 4 race weekends was too long before they could move up?! I like options, but I wish they added Short/Normal/Long. As a strictly offline career guy, I really hope they come through with offline custom championships after release...especially once the DLC tracks start coming out. I want to add them to my career series races to get some use out of them...

I wonder about this too. When I read "Full Ginetta GT5 Challenge", I expect a two-race format over 6 or 7 rounds, how it is in real-life. I drive Project CARS because I want to have the full immersion of real-life motorsport.