PDA

View Full Version : Oval Racing

Richie Padalino
07-08-2017, 13:41
Just wondering what the status of the Oval Racing aspect of the game is at the moment? In general. If anyone has any info?

Will there be Safety Cars?

Side drafting?

Pack racing?

Etc etc......

Mahjik
07-08-2017, 13:44
Just wondering what the status of the Oval Racing aspect of the game is at the moment? In general. If anyone has any info?

Will there be Safety Cars?

Side drafting?

Pack racing?

Etc etc......

No safety car..

Side drafting yes..

breyzipp
07-08-2017, 13:49
The status of oval racing? Those that are interested in it are ready!

hkraft300
07-08-2017, 14:48
Side drafting?

Pack racing?

=

?

I'm sorry. Couldn't resist.

dault3883
07-08-2017, 14:59
pack racing add at least two more hamsters to the wheel lol

breyzipp
07-08-2017, 15:43
Ooh yeah, multiclass works at oval racing as well! :)

hkraft300
07-08-2017, 16:39
Ooh yeah, multiclass works at oval racing as well! :)

That's quality!

ramm21
07-08-2017, 18:00
How well is drafting presented in a pack situation? Will the physics break down a bit with increasing number of cars?

Oh and what is meant by side drafting? AKA bump drafting?

dault3883
07-08-2017, 18:17
How well is drafting presented in a pack situation? Will the physics break down a bit with increasing number of cars?

Oh and what is meant by side drafting? AKA bump drafting?

side drafting and bump drafting are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS

this is bump drafting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G47EsulH7nM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-Yl2Yr8xo

This is Side Drafting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9Y7oFQqFE

This is regular drafting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jyis_4QKmw

ramm21
07-08-2017, 19:31
Learned something new today...
If bump drafting helps you go faster, why havent others besides NASCAR tried it? Since it would give you higher top end speeds, wouldn't that be a legit technique to try at Le Mans?

dault3883
07-08-2017, 20:16
If bump drafting helps you go faster, why havent others besides NASCAR tried it? Since it would give you higher top end speeds, wouldn't that be a legit technique to try at Le Mans?

stock cars can do it because the bumpers match up better than at le mans now they could do regular drafting but i think all the little aero plates and all on an LMP1 car for example would cause more harm than good with side drafting its more of a stock car thing and drafting on ovals can cause nasty wrecks like below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Tj0ykPvUg

dault3883
07-08-2017, 20:22
Drafting and bump drafting is an exact science that is chaotic and can got to hell in seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtJXMF0g46E

dault3883
07-08-2017, 20:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70s1Zycr_x0

Trippul G
07-08-2017, 20:34
side drafting and bump drafting are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT THINGS

this is bump drafting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G47EsulH7nM

Totally OT, but this video is a perfect example of why I can't stand NASCAR...all this hillbilly, hee-haw, country bumpkin nonsense with the "boogity boogity boogity"...? Instant turn off. To me, NASCAR as a series is like the WWE of motorsport. No thanks.

dault3883
07-08-2017, 20:46
Totally OT, but this video is a perfect example of why I can't stand NASCAR...all this hillbilly, hee-haw, country bumpkin nonsense with the "boogity boogity boogity"...? Instant turn off. To me, NASCAR as a series is like the WWE of motorsport. No thanks.

they only say that boogity boogity when its on fox and only at the beginging of the race its actually not that big HILLBILLY as you said it any more but to each their own

ramm21
07-08-2017, 20:49
The first vid you posted I'm not sure if that was because of bump drafting specifically. I mean, you see those huge wrecks with a pack regardless of drafting techniques, and if its the last lap in a tight pack... is there a race that doesn't end in a huge wreck on a late restart? And doing it on a bank is way more dangerous than on a straightaway. But either way, no risk no reward right?

I agree with LMPs not being very good for bump drafting, too much aero to mess with. I can see GT3s trying to do it though. You may even design an aero kit that allows the front splitter to go under the rear end of the car or something like that. Reinforce the front and rear bumper a little bit, and you're good to go!

dault3883
07-08-2017, 20:52
The first vid you posted I'm not sure if that was because of bump drafting specifically. I mean, you see those huge wrecks with a pack regardless of drafting techniques, and if its the last lap in a tight pack... is there a race that doesn't end in a huge wreck on a late restart? And doing it on a bank is way more dangerous than on a straightaway. But either way, no risk no reward right?

I agree with LMPs not being very good for bump drafting, too much aero to mess with. I can see GT3s trying to do it though. You may even design an aero kit that allows the front splitter to go under the rear end of the car or something like that. Reinforce the front and rear bumper a little bit, and you're good to go!

the biggest problem and you can see it in the 2nd video labeled Bump Drafting? of the 88 and 5 car bump drafting is that bump drafting does damage to the front and rear bumpers iv seen nascar races where the back bumper cover has been smacked on so many times and so hard that the cover actually brakes off

ramm21
07-08-2017, 20:54
the biggest problem and you can see it in the video of the 88 and 5 car bump drafting is that bump drafting does damage to the front and rear bumpers iv seen nascar races where the back bumper cover has been smacked on so many times and so hard that the cover actually brakes off

But did they achieve faster laptimes throughout the race? If yes, that would be worth it IMO

dault3883
07-08-2017, 20:56
But did they achieve faster laptimes throughout the race? If yes, that would be worth it IMO

i dont think bump drafting would be as effective on a road course as it is on an oval though to warrent the damage especially when you have series that say the car has to be intact at the end imagine the front cover getting screwed up and having to pit to put a new one on to met regulations at the end u just lost all that time you had gained plus more not to mention the dive plains you would be breaking trying to bump draft

now if you watch the Rolex 24 hours at daytona the cars do draft there they dont bump draft but they do draft

snipeme77
07-08-2017, 21:43

It's too dangerous to risk breaking your aerodynamics drafting

Poulka
07-08-2017, 23:54
Nice vids. I believe first vid focused on what was known as tandem racing in NASCAR. This was popular back around 2010, cars would partner up and the pair would get a run and blow by others. Funny thing about this was it worked good with two cars but three or more would be a problem. This to me was not bad, teams had to plan that run at the end. But NASCAR did not like that so they changed the aero package and brought pack racing, when drivers drive high line single file for about 30 laps to take break from stress of pack racing.

dault3883
07-08-2017, 23:58
Nice vids. I believe first vid focused on what was known as tandem racing in NASCAR. This was popular back around 2010, cars would partner up and the pair would get a run and blow by others. Funny thing about this was it worked good with two cars but three or more would be a problem. This to me was not bad, teams had to plan that run at the end. But NASCAR did not like that so they changed the aero package and brought pack racing, when drivers drive high line single file for about 30 laps to take break from stress of pack racing.

yes but its essentially bump drafting

i had watched nascar since i was little up until beginning of this year i know ALL about the drafting but finding good videos isnt as easy

MillsLayne
08-08-2017, 00:08

It's not so much about achieving faster lap times as much as it being used to try and outrun or stay with the other line of cars. You have to be a part of the draft if you want a shot at winning the race. That's why it's also never a good thing to get such a good run that you get too far ahead of the pack, because once you get that far ahead, the pack will catch up and blow right by you. It's a very specific/strange form of racing. Pretty entertaining, though.

dault3883
08-08-2017, 00:09
It's not so much about achieving faster lap times as much as it being used to try and outrun or stay with the other line of cars. You have to be a part of the draft if you want a shot at winning the race. That's why it's also never a good thing to get such a good run that you get too far ahead of the pack, because once you get that far ahead, the pack will catch up and blow right by you. It's a very specific/strange form of racing. Pretty entertaining, though.

yes like i said its an exact science so easy to get hung out to dry

you pop out to try to take the lead but no one goes with you next thing you know your at the back of the pack its a VERY LONELY feeling LOL

Poulka
08-08-2017, 01:42
yes but its essentially bump drafting

i had watched nascar since i was little up until beginning of this year i know ALL about the drafting but finding good videos isnt as easy

Oh yes it was. No finding good videos is hard. I have watched NASCAR since late 80s. Went to a couple races at Dover and Charlotte in early 90s. NASCAR these days don't interest like it did back then. Loved those races to me it died when Sr. died. Sure miss seeing that REAL black 3 on Sundays.

dault3883
08-08-2017, 02:13
Oh yes it was. No finding good videos is hard. I have watched NASCAR since late 80s. Went to a couple races at Dover and Charlotte in early 90s. NASCAR these days don't interest like it did back then. Loved those races to me it died when Sr. died. Sure miss seeing that REAL black 3 on Sundays.

agreed i was a Jr fan first then a sr fan once i was old enough to really pic a driver but my first favorite cars were Kyle Petty's Hotwheels car and Bill Elliots McDonalds car LOL i didnt even know who drove them but they were hotwheels and McDonalds and thats all i cared about when i was younger

Poulka
08-08-2017, 03:25
agreed i was a Jr fan first then a sr fan once i was old enough to really pic a driver but my first favorite cars were Kyle Petty's Hotwheels car and Bill Elliots McDonalds car LOL i didnt even know who drove them but they were hotwheels and McDonalds and thats all i cared about when i was younger

Oh yes that was roughly around 96 and 97 seasons. I was much at keeping up with teams during my teenage years back then whew showing my age. But they were good years their too. I was Darrell Waltrip fan, started liking his Tide car. But loved his Western Auto Chevy. Kyle Petty Mello Yellow car was nice too. It wasn't until later I appreciated Sr.

dault3883
08-08-2017, 03:34
Oh yes that was roughly around 96 and 97 seasons. I was much at keeping up with teams during my teenage years back then whew showing my age. But they were good years their too. I was Darrell Waltrip fan, started liking his Tide car. But loved his Western Auto Chevy. Kyle Petty Mello Yellow car was nice too. It wasn't until later I appreciated Sr.

my favorite scheme dale sr ever ran was the Wrangler monte carlo

way before my time too

Ravager619
08-08-2017, 04:40

I know Bobby Allison did at Daytona over 30 years ago, but that was before they had pack racing in NASCAR.

dault3883
08-08-2017, 04:47
I know Bobby Allison did at Daytona over 30 years ago, but that was before they had pack racing in NASCAR.

he was referencing why they dont do bump drafting with sports cars and all on tracks like le mans like they do ovals

at least from what i gatherd referencing the conversation we had been having i could be wrong

Poulka
08-08-2017, 10:42
At dault3883 that car brings back good memories. At that was when I was introduced to racing. In regards to Bobby Allison it was his Dega crash that lead to restrict or plates, hence pack racing and bump drafting. They would sling shot back then during the pre pack era. Man I loved watching on YouTube those mid 80s races.

dault3883
08-08-2017, 11:40
At dault3883 that car brings back good memories. At that was when I was introduced to racing. In regards to Bobby Allison it was his Dega crash that lead to restrict or plates, hence pack racing and bump drafting. They would sling shot back then during the pre pack era. Man I loved watching on YouTube those mid 80s races.

o i know all about the plate stuff im a huge history buff and have looked into all that iv had the chance to meet bobby allison and get my picture with him and an autograph

Poulka
08-08-2017, 16:28
Yes the Allisons were nice my wife and my dad were Davey fans. Have you gone to the museum in Charlotte? My wife is from NASCAR country which I envied when I first met her.

dault3883
08-08-2017, 16:38
Yes the Allisons were nice my wife and my dad were Davey fans. Have you gone to the museum in Charlotte? My wife is from NASCAR country which I envied when I first met her.

no i try not to go to charlotte iv been to other racing museums in the Mooresville area though where i live

Richie Padalino
08-08-2017, 16:48
Hey Dault, thanks for all this great info, and the vids. I'm a massive oval racing novice, so this is very interesting, and very helpful.

So, do we think Project Cars 2 will get all the physics right for the ovals, the side drafting, bump drafting, the benefit of being in a pack etc?

Do you think that missing a safety car is a big problem, or not too much of a problem?

dault3883
08-08-2017, 17:01
Hey Dault, thanks for all this great info, and the vids. I'm a massive oval racing novice, so this is very interesting, and very helpful.

So, do we think Project Cars 2 will get all the physics right for the ovals, the side drafting, bump drafting, the benefit of being in a pack etc?

Do you think that missing a safety car is a big problem, or not too much of a problem?

i dont really know its hard to say i hope to find out as i LOVE pack racing iv gotten really good with the draft so much i start at the back and see how fast i can get to the front on my nascar 2015 victory edition game its loads of fun

dault3883
08-08-2017, 17:03
Biggest thing to keep your eye on when drafting and bump drafting is your WATER TEMPS

ramm21
08-08-2017, 17:43
I don't think bump drafting will be possible with PC2 though.. wont you get an infraction every time you bump someone? And from what I've gathered the sticky cars problem is much better than PC1, but theres still some minor issues with it?

dault3883
08-08-2017, 17:45
I don't think bump drafting will be possible with PC2 though.. wont you get an infraction every time you bump someone? And from what I've gathered the sticky cars problem is much better than PC1, but theres still some minor issues with it?

turn infractions off for oval races then only rule you have to follow for oval races at daytona is no passing below the double yellow line and your good

DECATUR PLAYA
08-08-2017, 17:53

I liked the tandem racing the pack racing not as much. I think this is one of the reason some people may be losing interest in NASCAR because they keep taking power out of the car along with other things. The more power they takeaway the less it looks like racing. The fans come to see racing not driving. I miss the greats but that has always been a part of racing. It's dangerous that's why we love it. I wish they would put the power back in the cars.

DECATUR PLAYA
08-08-2017, 18:07

I think they will get it right. What I have seen in the videos so far looks really good. It looks more like tandem racing than pack racing which IMO is good. The way the car bounces around in the air at high speeds also looks good. I think the drafting on p cars 1 was good but you don't get the same opportunities to do like at a oval.

Didn't they say that the contact detection system will not be the same at every track.

dault3883
08-08-2017, 18:16
I liked the tandem racing the pack racing not as much. I think this is one of the reason some people may be losing interest in NASCAR because they keep taking power out of the car along with other things. The more power they takeaway the less it looks like racing. The fans come to see racing not driving. I miss the greats but that has always been a part of racing. It's dangerous that's why we love it. I wish they would put the power back in the cars.

see i prefer the pack over tandem im good at both especially tandem but i like how with the pack its every man for him self your not stuck pushing some one at the end

but thats why i said watch your water temps is because im a really good pusher in the tandem iv practiced and been doing it on the nascar games since before tandem racing became a thing

DECATUR PLAYA
08-08-2017, 18:48
see i prefer the pack over tandem im good at both especially tandem but i like how with the pack its every man for him self your not stuck pushing some one at the end

but thats why i said watch your water temps is because im a really good pusher in the tandem iv practiced and been doing it on the nascar games since before tandem racing became a thing

I do a lot of damage off races in my room so that my room is Noob friendly so they won't have to worry about water temps in most of my rooms.

I like tandem because I hate getting stuck in the pack. I wonder how the restrictor plate will be implemented for Daytona. That car doesn't have a restrictor plate on p cars 1. Also wonder what the flag system is like for ovals. Safety car doesn't matter. Flag system does matter.

Also for anybody interested who may not understand ovals. Texas and Indy are not pack racing tracks and while there is some bump drafting it's not like Daytona. Side drafting comes into play more at those tracks. Daytona is full throttle. Texas and Indy are not full throttle tracks for a Stock Car. Will be different for a Indy car.

Poulka
08-08-2017, 19:02
At dault3883 I can understand why you avoid Charlotte. The museum was nice, but what I should have done when we was stay a bit longer to go on the tour of the three NASCAR teams at their garages. I have to go back for that one.

I am looking forward to some oval racing in this game at Daytona. I used to do pack racing on some earlier games, I'm a bit rusty now. But I use to love coming from the front to the back. The edge you get when three wide is just nerve racking, but I love it.

Ravager619
09-08-2017, 02:04
o i know all about the plate stuff im a huge history buff and have looked into all that iv had the chance to meet bobby allison and get my picture with him and an autograph

I was referencing the 1982 Daytona 500. Someone rammed Bobby from behind and his rear bumper fell off. No one could get close to him the rest of the race, even when they tried to draft together in a train.

hkraft300
09-08-2017, 15:10
I don't think bump drafting will be possible with PC2 though.. wont you get an infraction every time you bump someone?

Iirc there is an impact threshold. Open wheel cars will have a lower threshold, NASCAR higher, for example. Maybe.
So the driver rating system will only trigger above a certain force of impact.
Someone from wmd2 please correct me? Where the f is konan... :)

...And from what I've gathered the sticky cars problem is much better than PC1, but theres still some minor issues with it?

From the few pc2 videos I've seen with serious contact, the sticky car seems to be gone for good.
The minor issues I'm sure will be ironed out before release.