PDA

View Full Version : Headphones Vs Speakers

snipeme77
12-08-2017, 20:43
So as I mentioned a whiled back, I got a racing wheel that works with my Xbox. The problem is I need to buy a monitor, HDMI splitter, new HDMI cables, and set it up on my table so I can actually use the Xbox with my wheel. With all this in mind and budgeted out for, I've been halfway considering getting a speaker system and just building a cockpit in my bedroom. However this requires some more hardware, like a HDMI Audio extractor, more HDMI cables, RCA cables and the speaker system it's self. Long story short, I'm going to need a crap ton of cables.

Option number 2 is somewhat simpler and cheaper, I buy a nice set of headphones and run them threw my controller. However that has it's own downsides, like chewing through AA batteries, and having to deal with the cable from my head to the controller while I'm working the wheel. .

Option 3 is I buy a set of headphones that connect directly to the Xbox wirelessly, but then I can't use them for PC use whether it be racing or studying...

Option 4, I just use my TV's audio.

So what do you guys think?

FIA
12-08-2017, 21:47
Or you could buy a soundbar that has a separate subwoofer there are some out there that are very good and also some with a headphone jack too
the sound from them are good, thay take up little room, you will only need to connect it to your tv and everything will play into it

Mahjik
12-08-2017, 23:33
Personally, I prefer a good headset and/or headphones. You don't annoy so many people and it helps you get immersed into the sims.

hkraft300
13-08-2017, 03:35
Not helpful in your situation, but the PS4 has optical audio out to run a surround sound system. So audio goes to USB/hdmi/controller aux/optical whichever I choose and video out the hdmi to my TV.

The xb1 doesn't have the optical audio out, I presume? If it does, connecting a 5.1 surround is really easy.

Option 3 is I buy a set of headphones that connect directly to the Xbox wirelessly, but then I can't use them for PC use whether it be racing or studying...

Actually, any decent wireless headset (xb compatible) will be cheaper than option 1. They will probably connect via USB dongle and therefore be compatible with your laptop/PC.
Some (most?) Will probably also have an aux Jack for use with a mobile/smart device.

Zpectre87
13-08-2017, 05:24
Buy the Play and Charge kit. Batteries last longer than you'd think they would, and they're rechargeable.

I got rid of my HT because no 4K passthrough, so I bought a headset for the mic instead.

With the wheel you probably don't have too many options. A headset with a console is only useful when it's connected to the controller. Since wheels don't have the jack, they don't make much sense anymore. Better to game on PC then.

hkraft300
13-08-2017, 06:18
With the wheel you probably don't have too many options. A headset with a console is only useful when it's connected to the controller. Since wheels don't have the jack, they don't make much sense anymore. Better to game on PC then.

The aux Jack headsets aren't much better in quality than the TV speakers, from what I've found.
Grab a decent surround gaming headset, mic and all, wireless. That'll plug straight in to the console not the controller. So you can easily use it with a wheel.

RU486
13-08-2017, 06:59
I've use Turtle Beach x41headset, a tad old, used it originally with xbox360, outputting the sound via AV receiver, fiber optics. I now use them on my pc, but run a HDMI to my Tv, and output via fiber optics from the Tv.

I found a good headset, much more imursable, and as said it dosn't bother anyone else.

And a good set or two of rechargeable AAA batteries

RU

DECATUR PLAYA
13-08-2017, 09:51
Headphones all the way but it's got to be wireless with a wheel. I'm wired on a controller and it's good but I couldn't imagine doing it with a wheel.

As far as batteries for controller I used rechargeable. I got some rechargeable that have lasted 4 to 5 years.

Scuderia Paul
13-08-2017, 10:09
On PS4 I use the Sony PlayStation Platinum wireless headset which I find really good. I couldn't imagine using a wired headset with a wheel.

hkraft300
13-08-2017, 13:07
Mine are wired. I sit close enough to the TV and console (my headset plugs to the console USB) and I'm not moving about in my "rig" so it's no issue.
Wireless is handy for couch gaming though.

I'll be getting something more up market next time. Can't wait for my set to "break" ;)

Trippul G
13-08-2017, 14:17
Here's a somewhat related headphones question: Has anyone found a decent pair of gaming headphones that are comfortable for someone who wears glasses?

All the models I've seen are the "over the ear" variety, which tend to crush my frames into the side of my head, and are very uncomfortable for anything more than a few minutes of use. (I know that contacts would make this a non-issue, but I've never been able to wear them comfortably.)

Mahjik
13-08-2017, 14:33
I'm not sure how the console guys do it with their rigs, but for the wire I have it run under my rig seat cushions so the wire is behind me when I sit down.

snipeme77
13-08-2017, 15:07
I'm not sure how the console guys do it with their rigs, but for the wire I have it run under my rig seat cushions so the wire is behind me when I sit down.

Yeah I think if I run headphones I'll do something similar

But I came to a realization, a lot of monitors have headphone jacks on them... no need for a HDMI audio extractor

Zpectre87
13-08-2017, 15:44
The aux Jack headsets aren't much better in quality than the TV speakers, from what I've found.
Grab a decent surround gaming headset, mic and all, wireless. That'll plug straight in to the console not the controller. So you can easily use it with a wheel.

Problem is that anything "decent" costs an arm and a leg here! :D

RU486
13-08-2017, 22:28
Here's a somewhat related headphones question: Has anyone found a decent pair of gaming headphones that are comfortable for someone who wears glasses?

All the models I've seen are the "over the ear" variety, which tend to crush my frames into the side of my head, and are very uncomfortable for anything more than a few minutes of use. (I know that contacts would make this a non-issue, but I've never been able to wear them comfortably.)

I wear glasses, its never been a problem for me. But i guess its a personal thing, along with the type of arms frames on ur spec's. I have a very thin arms(glasses) so its not a issue. I guess head size/shape might come into play

I can only say try before u buy. but the problem there is most are in a sealed packs. saying that I'm sure u could find some demos pairs around to test.

RU

Kelderek
14-08-2017, 06:58

I use Sennheiser PC 310.
They are on-ear, so they work good with glasses.
Decent sound (considering the price) and very lightweight.

Fanapryde
14-08-2017, 07:46
I have a Kingston HyperX Cloud II, which is fine (virtual 7.1) on PC.
But I use it only when I need a mic, or when I don't want to disturb my second half when racing (real) late.
You get a second set of ear cups; the extra set features cloth padding to go with the leatherette pair that are attached by default, I find the cloth set more comfortable.
Review here:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/30/kingston-hyperx-cloud-ii-gaming-headset-review

I do prefer using my Logitech Z906 surround set though.

Ravager619
15-08-2017, 03:35

I don't do multiplayer, so I'm just fine with using a pair of SkullCandy Hesh 2 headphones. The gaming rig is close by, so I make sure the cord is behind my shoulder so my arm doesn't get tangled. I also don't have a choice if I want to play PC1 or any video game after 9pm, or I'll disturb the neighbors.

Eric Everfast
15-08-2017, 15:05
Headphones all the way. No better immersion than having the engine sound and tire squeal resonating so close to you. Funnily enough, it helped a little with my lap times because I was able to hear the tire slip so well :D

I was using this wireless headset back when I had my One S: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/pdp-pdp-afterglow-9-over-ear-noise-cancelling-wireless-headset-for-xbox-one-black-048-056-na/10392290.aspx?

I don't cheap out on audio and this pair offered some good sound for the price.

Trippul G
15-08-2017, 15:48
Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys, lots to research and think about! I think ultimately it's going to come down to physically trying on a bunch if I can find some demo pairs, and seeing what works for me and what doesn't.

hkraft300
15-08-2017, 15:51
Don't even bother with Plantronics head sets.
I have one, I tried a different model too. I don't like them.

Itsdoomsday48
15-08-2017, 16:07
I'm surprised to see so many members choose to wear headsets while playing. I couldn't imagine wearing a headset for a prolonged period of time while in my rig (would get way too hot in my ears) It would also mean having to plug the headset into a controller and having the controller right next to me and having to worry about it shutting off. No headset can beat surround sound speakers with a sub IMO and for what some of these higher end headsets go for nowadays, you would really just be better off getting a sound system

hkraft300
15-08-2017, 16:15
I'm surprised to see so many members choose to wear headsets while playing. I couldn't imagine wearing a headset for a prolonged period of time while in my rig (would get way too hot in my ears) It would also mean having to plug the headset into a controller and having the controller right next to me and having to worry about it shutting off. No headset can beat surround sound speakers with a sub IMO and for what some of these higher end headsets go for nowadays, you would really just be better off getting a sound system

I've mentioned before it's only the low-end stereo headsets that are aux-only and you'd have it plugged to the controller ready to die without notice and render both items useless.

A $250 headset will sound a lot better than a $250 5.1 surround stereo, without taking up the space or annoying the wife. Have you tried a Sennheiser?

Itsdoomsday48
15-08-2017, 16:38
I've mentioned before it's only the low-end stereo headsets that are aux-only and you'd have it plugged to the controller ready to die without notice and render both items useless.

A $250 headset will sound a lot better than a $250 5.1 surround stereo, without taking up the space or annoying the wife. Have you tried a Sennheiser?

I have a dedicated man cave with my rig, so a sound system and space really isn't an issue. I got my Vizio sound system for under $300 back a few Black Fridays ago and its been great. Sound bar, wireless sub and two satellite speakers beat any headset I've ever had, I hardly even touch my headsets anymore unless I'm playing with friends

hkraft300
15-08-2017, 17:38
Bargain!
5.1 system here for that money is rubbish.

Fanapryde
15-08-2017, 17:50
Bargain!
5.1 system here for that money is rubbish.
My Logitech Z906 is much better than one would think (the two back speakers mounted on the seat), even than I thought.
The subwoofer is more than powerful enough for my 3,5 x 4,5m man cave, the sattelites give a prett clear sound.
Not saying that it is HiFi quality, but for sim racing an excellent choice imo.