PDA

View Full Version : Pedal upgrade looking for opinions.

Silraed
14-08-2017, 12:57
I'm looking at upgrading to some better pedals and have had my eye on the Fanatec CSL Elites with the load cell. Now I'm at the point where I'm wondering if the CSP V3 are a big enough of a step up to be worth waiting a little longer to go for them instead.
I've read some people saying the CSL Elites offer a more versatile brake setup and that the horizontal adjustment is worth more than all the adjustment available on the CSP V3. Others saying the pedal spacing of the CSP are fine and the better throttle and clutch more than make up for the lack of horizontal adjustment.

I would appreciate any insight and opinions anybody could offer.

Mahjik
15-08-2017, 00:40
IIRC, you can adjust the pedal spacing on both sets.. However, I would go with the V3's between the two. There is a reason they are more expensive but the Elites are definitely above the stock Logitech pedals so it's still a significant improvement.

Silraed
15-08-2017, 03:03
From my understanding it's only the pedal faces that can be adjusted side to side on the V3's and only with the stock pedal plates, not the included D-shape plates. If any V3 owners see this do you think the brake performance kit is a must have?

The other concern if you could call it that is the V3's are getting quite old by Fanatec standards, surely the next revision of the Clubsport pedals isn't too far away.

Fanapryde
15-08-2017, 06:52
Every pedal with a load cell is better than a pedal with pot meter.
I had both pedal sets you mentioned. Both are way better than Logitech pedals and even better than T500RS pedals with MrBasher brake mod.
On the V3's I had the damper kit installed on the brake pedal, which was an improvement. The 'new' brake performance kit seems to be another good thing (a friend has it installed) but rather expensive for what it is imo.
I never used the D-plates, but the adjustability of the stock plates was enough to have the pedals the way I wanted.
The V3's are a step up compared to the Elites, no doubt, but I had some issues with the used materials.
Though they look very sturdy (and they are) the used nuts and bolts are lower quality. Though being careful and using pro tools in perfect condition, I damaged several of the hex bolts while adjusting or maintaining the set, which really disturbed me. I ended up replacing almost all nuts and bolts to a higher quality. Had no problems after that.
All in all I would recommend the V3's over the Elites. With the damper installed, the brake feels better and offers more consistent braking performance.
Have to add that I replaced the V3's by Heusinkveld Pro pedals (load cells on all three pedals) and that is a HUGE step forward. Downside is that they are 'a bit' more expensive...

Trans-Girl
15-08-2017, 13:26
I have just bought the V3 pedals, had G29, then T3PA Pros, the V3s are light years away from the other two, like chalk and cheese, toe and heel is no problem with the plates in the stock position as well..

VelvetTorpedo
15-08-2017, 14:20
I have V3's as well, they make the T3PA pedals I had feel like playschool toys, and the rumble feature with fanaleds is cool. I don't have the damper but I plan on getting the tuning kit for the brake pedal eventually. I may add a large scale RC damper to the pedal for less than the official damper costs.

hkraft300
15-08-2017, 14:31
Every pedal with a load cell is better than a pedal with pot meter...

I understand why a load cell brake is better, but why load cell > pot for throttle or clutch?

Fanapryde
15-08-2017, 15:00
I understand why a load cell brake is better, but why load cell > pot for throttle or clutch?
Actually same as for the brake:
- better reaction and adjustability, more secure throttle & clutch control
- maintenance (dust) free
- no lag

Just checked the HE site to see if I forgot something:
This is what they say about the LC <> PM:

"""""On the throttle and clutch they work as positional sensors, on the brake they measure the pressure put on the pedal.
Unlike designs with rotary potentiometers, load cells provide true linear output in relation to your pedal input.
Their accuracy and durability are unmatched as they do not wear over time.""""

hkraft300
15-08-2017, 15:06
Ah right.
I didn't know load cell output was linear.
Rather, more linear than pots.

Durability is always a plus.

Cheers. Carry on :)

ramm21
16-08-2017, 16:23
My wife has been asking what I want for my bday, which is Sept 25, right around the you-know-what date. I'm rolling with a G29+Th8a setup right now.
I actually don't mind the G29 wheel, I like light FFB anyways, and it has lots of buttons which I really like. I do want to upgrade the pedals, at least.

If I go with a T500, thats a mild upgrade(?) and I keep my shifter in the Thrustmaster universe. $500-$200 (new T500 minus what I think I can get for a used G29), so around $300
V3 pedals is another option, but then my wheel, shifter, and pedals are from 3 different places, which may be a headache, or may not. $300
T3PA Pro by themselves- not sure how much of an upgrade that will be. $150
Fourth option is to try and find a load cell kit for G29 pedals. $?

What do you guys think? I'm also hoping for a discount Fanatec bundle around release time which includes the V3 pedals, base, and wheel. If they give a 20-25% discount I can put down around 1K for a new setup, but it would really have to be worth it. They have one on the website now, but its still like $1200 with a $50 discount or whatever.

Silraed
16-08-2017, 16:24
This is turning into a really hard decision. Pros and cons to both pedal sets including prices but the main thing in my mind is will I get enough use out of them to justify such a high price on the V3's.

VelvetTorpedo
16-08-2017, 16:29
The braking confidence I have now with V3's over my T3PA's was easily worth the upgrade in my opinion. My lap times are more consistent and you can really ride bumpers with the other cars through turns. Never fails to put a smile on my face. Plus the brake and gas pedal rumble adds to the sensation.

Silraed
16-08-2017, 16:30
V3 pedals is another option, but then my wheel, shifter, and pedals are from 3 different places, which may be a headache, or may not. $300

What do you guys think? I'm also hoping for a discount Fanatec bundle around release time which includes the V3 pedals, base, and wheel. If they give a 20-25% discount I can put down around 1K for a new setup, but it would really have to be worth it. They have one on the website now, but its still like $1200 with a $50 discount or whatever.

Having different products from different brands isn't an issue really, at most it will just mean having to manually assign some actions in game. I probably wouldn't get your hopes up on any Fanatec discounts though.

ramm21
16-08-2017, 16:50
Leaning towards the V3 standalone upgrade right now. I'm trying to learn ABS-less braking and the dead G29 pedals are not what I'm looking for at the moment haha. If I have V3 and Th8a I'll be set for a wheel upgrade in the future without having to upgrade the other 2..

Fanapryde
16-08-2017, 17:59
Leaning towards the V3 standalone upgrade right now. I'm trying to learn ABS-less braking and the dead G29 pedals are not what I'm looking for at the moment haha. If I have V3 and Th8a I'll be set for a wheel upgrade in the future without having to upgrade the other 2..
I believe this is a good choice.

Silraed
17-08-2017, 06:53
Curious how the higher resolution brake on the CSL Elites would translate to how they feel being 16 bit compared to the V3 with the 12 bit brake, perhaps that is where some people are preferring them over the V3 brake since I have read several people calling it "smoother" in application. Surely if it was such a big improvement though Fanatec would have found a way to up the resolution when they did the refresh with the V3 Inverted pedals.

VelvetTorpedo
17-08-2017, 11:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcqiw6TNj_4

I watched this a while back, he says at some point there is no discernable difference in resolution once you go above 12 or so bits. Long video but interesting

Sankyo
17-08-2017, 12:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcqiw6TNj_4

I watched this a while back, he says at some point there is no discernable difference in resolution once you go above 12 or so bits. Long video but interesting
I've demonstrated a few times in the past as well. Simply look at the pedal travel and the number of signal levels that is connected to the number of bits that you get over that pedal range, and calculate the number of levels/mm you get. 1 level/mm or 2 levels/mm will make a difference, but 256 levels/mm or 512 levels/mm is just not any different, no-one has that amount of pedal/foot control.

Silraed
17-08-2017, 13:29
That was a great video, thanks for linking it mate.

I only brought it up after having a brief talk with a guy who changed from the V3's to the CSL Elites because he felt the brake was more responsive and "smooth" as well as him personally liking the longer brake travel and the lighter throttle. The pedal resolution was the only thing I could think of that could make it feel more responsive.

vancilwa
17-08-2017, 13:51
Following!

Shepard2603
24-08-2017, 12:15
That was a great video, thanks for linking it mate.

I only brought it up after having a brief talk with a guy who changed from the V3's to the CSL Elites because he felt the brake was more responsive and "smooth" as well as him personally liking the longer brake travel and the lighter throttle. The pedal resolution was the only thing I could think of that could make it feel more responsive.

Keep in mind, that when using the Elite pedals with an USB adapter it drops down to 8bit resolution.

Silraed
24-08-2017, 14:42
For the standard 2 pedal Elites yes they drop to 8 bit with the USB adapter, with the load cell brake they keep the full 16 bit brake and 12 bit throttle/clutch resolution because they don't require the adapter.

As a kind of update I've decided to wait it out until I can afford the V3's and then make a final decision.

Shepard2603
25-08-2017, 07:27
Thanks for the heads-up, didn't read so far on the fanatec site.

Silraed
25-09-2017, 05:09
It's looking like I might have to settle for the CSL Elites and put the difference towards saving for a new GPU, or maybe a new GPU and then pedals. Surely it must be my time to win the lottery soon :rolleyes:.

Silraed
02-10-2017, 14:33
Ok so for users of the CSP V3's would you say the brake performance kit is a must? I'm being told you really need it for the brake to feel better than the CSL Elite LC brake but that extra $55 makes me wince when the V3's are already so expensive.

crowhop
02-10-2017, 19:48
I cannot recommend these enough...

https://www.protosimtech.com/

I have the previous version which I paid $500 for and they are absolutely worth it. They're modular so you can place them as far apart or close together as you wish. You just have to keep an eye out on when they officially release.

Silraed
05-10-2017, 16:45
I don't think I can wait long enough for the chance at something like the Protosimtech pedals. If I already had a decent but not amazing set then I would be happy to wait for something nicer but as it is waiting that long isn't really an option for me.

Silraed
12-10-2017, 01:05
Well.

My brake failed completely last night, I'm now using the clutch as the brake which isn't exactly ideal. Decided to throw caution to the wind and splurge on the V3's since I needed something now, I hope they don't disappoint.

Silraed
21-10-2017, 05:53
Got the pedals delivered yesterday and wow these things are even better than I was expecting. My one complaint so far is that out of the box the clutch pedal was sticking at full throw because the arm of the degressive mechanism was hitting the rubber block underneath it and sticking, I've had to shorten the throw slightly to get it to stop making contact and get a smooth release.

Australia Post being Australia Post though they seem to have lost the brake performance kit, delivery driver and the people at the post office had no clue about a second package that was supposed to be part of the same consignment but hopefully it will show up some time next week :(.

Any tips or tricks for settings to get the best experience out of the load cell brake?

Fanapryde
21-10-2017, 07:41
Any tips or tricks for settings to get the best experience out of the load cell brake?
Bummer that the brake performance kit has not arrived yet.
But since you have no other working set...
I'd advise to calibrate the pedals using DiView software. Very precise and easy to set deadzones and working range, biting point for the clutch too.
You will probaly (surely) need to recalibrate the brake after the performance kit is installed, but that only takes a couple of minutes.
Have fun with the V3's...just be sure that when working on the set you treat the (especially the smaller) hex bolts with good keys and respect, because they are not really strong and it's easy to 'kill' the heads.

Silraed
25-10-2017, 13:21
The brake performance kit finally arrived today and after trying a couple of combinations and driving for a couple of hours, wow. Just wow. Just holy crap wow. Fanatec are doing themselves a massive disservice by not including this kit in the pedals by default.
It transforms the brake is the only way to describe it.