PDA

View Full Version : Random Number of Weather slots

Javaniceday
15-08-2017, 20:55
The goal of the weather system is to simulate the excitement of not knowing what the weather will be. Picking random weather on the number of slots the player decides gives the player the ability of knowing the weather will very likely change at least 3 times, diluting the effect.

Having the game pick the number of weather slots, out of 4 total, significantly solves this problem with minimum effort, I would imagine.

Any chance this can be implemented.

Bonus - real weather settings needs a through explanation on how it works. Can the weather change when using it? Does it use the slots system?

Trippul G
16-08-2017, 00:30
The only drawback (or, I guess, less than optimal thing) with this would be that, given that there are 4 slots to play with, we'd still have roughly a 75% chance that the game would choose more than one slot and the weather would change. This would basically make changing weather the norm, instead of the exception. That is, unless the game somehow used "real weather" info to weight the frequency of the number and type of slots chosen.

Really wish we could get some detailed info on how this all works in-game and if there are any plans to further refine/enhance it.

Javaniceday
16-08-2017, 01:02
The only drawback (or, I guess, less than optimal thing) with this would be that, given that there are 4 slots to play with, we'd still have roughly a 75% chance that the game would choose more than one slot and the weather would change. This would basically make changing weather the norm, instead of the exception. That is, unless the game somehow used "real weather" info to weight the frequency of the number and type of slots chosen.

Really wish we could get some detailed info on how this all works in-game and if there are any plans to further refine/enhance it.

I second that motion. Ideally whatever "random" weather is chose, they'd all be related, instead of being bonkers sunshine to snowstorm to fog to thunderstorm. A % of precipitation would also be cool.

And yes, we really do need an explanation somewhere of how weather is set up.

cxMilk
16-08-2017, 01:52
I second that motion. Ideally whatever "random" weather is chose, they'd all be related, instead of being bonkers sunshine to snowstorm to fog to thunderstorm. A % of precipitation would also be cool.

And yes, we really do need an explanation somewhere of how weather is set up.
Could have sworn I read something about wanting to drop the slot system and use a chance for precipitation stat instead for pCars3, but that could also just be wishful thinking on my part.

Sure someone will come along and either back this up with a quote or scold me for spreading fake news. :p

Mahjik
16-08-2017, 12:46
There will always be a limit (in the foreseeable future) to the number of slots for weather options. It's not as simple as have weather X, then change to weather Y. SMS has to design and code how the transitions happen between weather changes. For instance, with a 30 minute race, you may have half of it sunny, and half of it raining. However, there will be a time in the middle when it's not raining hard, but just starting to rain. There needs to be time for these transitions so the "slots" help provide programming windows for the developers to mathematically determine how and when to have the transitions.

Javaniceday
16-08-2017, 15:36
There will always be a limit (in the foreseeable future) to the number of slots for weather options. It's not as simple as have weather X, then change to weather Y. SMS has to design and code how the transitions happen between weather changes. For instance, with a 30 minute race, you may have half of it sunny, and half of it raining. However, there will be a time in the middle when it's not raining hard, but just starting to rain. There needs to be time for these transitions so the "slots" help provide programming windows for the developers to mathematically determine how and when to have the transitions.

to clarify, the game should pick the number of weather slots between 1 and 4. Not infinity, that'd be insane. No, just a random number of weather slots, between 1 and 4

Mahjik
16-08-2017, 16:25
Got it, so a random option outside of the control of the individual weather slots. Not sure it will happen for PC2, but the devs do read this forum.

honespc
16-08-2017, 17:06
I'm so hyped about the weather. The excitement will though be matched only by the dissapointment of having to race 99% of the time under California-like sunny conditions, otherwise the people tend to leave.

Have the devs ever estimated the emabarrassing chances for their awesome new weather system being underestimated or borderline non-used online are so high?. I mean all the hours and hard job spent on it for then to witness just a couple of us using it, not even regularly but also mandatory for races. It has to be so underwhelming from a developer perspective, not just from those little of us too.

I find the request interesting enough

Mahjik
16-08-2017, 17:20
Yes. They realize that a (fairly small) percentage of the racing community will use them with any frequency. However, SMS is also building a racing simulation that they want to drive themselves. They also were essentially one of the first (if not the first) to bring rain with the GTR series.

honespc
16-08-2017, 17:31
And do they still respect us after realizing that?. I seriously hope they don't.

Just GT3 and California sun. Not even 2x tyre wear, just in case the ladies have to look out for a reality check. Then of course few to none ultra fun drift-oriented clubman races with road cars and weather; little classic car lobbies too; few open wheel, etc.

With all the content and variety + of course the weather games like project cars 1 and 2 have to offer, and in the end it's all down to that. It's so sad.

Javaniceday
16-08-2017, 17:44
And do they still respect us after realizing that?. I seriously hope they don't.

Just GT3 and California sun. Not even 2x tyre wear, just in case the ladies have to look out for a reality check. Then of course few to none ultra fun drift-oriented clubman races with road cars and weather; little classic car lobbies too; few open wheel, etc.

With all the content and variety + of course the weather games like project cars 1 and 2 have to offer, and in the end it's all down to that. It's so sad.

In sunday PRL league I was running here http://precisionracingleague.com/, I made sure to use real weather settings, with x3 tire wear (to encourage 2 pitstops per race), and I'll make damn sure we do so again for pCARS2. To not do so would be undermining the vision SMS had. If they want clear perfect time-trial ready weather, they can run AC or any of the other sims. The point of pCARS2 is to have variety in the weather. I feel very strongly about that, which is why I want the weather system to truly be dynamic.

Mahjik
16-08-2017, 20:19

It's not used for public racing much (if at all), but leagues use it a lot.

honespc
16-08-2017, 20:27
I think weather should be mandatory/forced on single player and of course online both, in racing games that are particularly special, such as Project Cars . Why?

The point of pCARS2 is to have variety in the weather.This is one nice way of saying it.

Mahjik
16-08-2017, 20:50
There will always be some of "Have it your way" with anything that is targeted as "entertainment".