PDA

View Full Version : Driver hands karate chop - video included - Gamer Muscle

Javaniceday
29-08-2017, 20:04
As an animator and a huge fan of pCARS1 and 2, this part was always so painful. It goes unsaid by most people who play it, and I'm glad Gamer Muscle pointed it out, 'cuz it's quite annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7E-RyOJCxA&t=13m16s

Like I said, I'm an animator and I know exactly what's going on here. The animation of the hands is directly driven by the angle of the steering wheel - what is called a set driven key. As the steering wheel rotates, it drives the hand animation as it holds on to the wheel - when it gets to a certain angle, it gets to the part of the animation where one hand needs to go over the other, but what happens a lot is the steering wheel is held at that one angle and the animation never plays all the way through.

So hopefully, at some point, there'll be an override to this animation system so that once the hand over hand animation starts playing, it plays all the way through, instead of being left to hang there in the middle. In real life, obviously, no one is gonna start to place the hand in front of the other and leaving it there.

Anyway, rant over. In case anyone's wondering about my qualifications, I've animated on StarTrek Beyond, Apes 2, Fast 7, Ghostbusters, and DBZTribute.

hope some day this gets addressed

Trippul G
29-08-2017, 21:51
Seems to me that a better, or at least easier solution, would be to do away with the hand over hand animation altogether. While keeping both hands firmly on the wheel, you can get somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 degrees of rotation in either direction. If this animation (of going from full left lock to full right lock) were simply mapped to whatever the actual range is of the wheel, it would eliminate this weird in-between phase of the "karate chop". It may not be totally realistic to NOT do a hand over hand when dealing with a road car for instance, but personally I'd rather have that then the slightly jarring weirdness of the animation shown in the link. Of course, there's always the option of turning the hands/wheel off, or using a different view.

Btw...congrats on the film credits, some nice work in those projects. I was a VFX lighter for 15 years before I quit the industry a couple of years ago (long story).

ramm21
29-08-2017, 22:14
I think road cars should have an option to be driven with right hand always on shifter and left hand on top of the steering wheel. And your seat has to recline back as far as possible so that you can barely see over the dash. And the windows have to be down and you have to bump hip hop music really loud the whole time on track.

Javaniceday
29-08-2017, 22:38
Seems to me that a better, or at least easier solution, would be to do away with the hand over hand animation altogether. While keeping both hands firmly on the wheel, you can get somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 degrees of rotation in either direction. If this animation (of going from full left lock to full right lock) were simply mapped to whatever the actual range is of the wheel, it would eliminate this weird in-between phase of the "karate chop".

Right on :) yeah there's all sorts of solutions they could go after for pCARS3 (it's far too late to tackle for pCARS2. And yeah the industry's a trip. It can be easy to get worn out. The hustle is real, haha

Sankyo
30-08-2017, 08:49
I think road cars should have an option to be driven with right hand always on shifter and left hand on top of the steering wheel. And your seat has to recline back as far as possible so that you can barely see over the dash. And the windows have to be down and you have to bump hip hop music really loud the whole time on track.
Don't know about California but here you'll never pass your driving exam if you drive like that :p Even more so when racing a (road) car, you have to have both hands on the steering wheel at all times.

IIRC this was discussed during pC1 development already, I don't know what was argumented and decided eventually. Personally I would replace the hand-over animation with push-pull steering for cars with steering angles beyond 360-450 degrees, and keep hands to the steering wheels at all times for cars like LMP and open-wheelers.

OddTimer
30-08-2017, 09:40
yeah, I had that animation myself as well...I think it was made like that to please players that come to PCars from other more arcadish titles....ugly as hell, although the ninja comment made me laugh!

Leper Messiah
30-08-2017, 09:49
It's rare to have to hold the wheel in the position to get that animation anomaly though. It'd be nice to get an interim "hand back to wheel" animation but it's probably not a priority. It's better than the alternatives though...limited wheel movement is worse, no hands is worse, or <shudders> the slow animation I endured in GT5, now THAT was truly beyond awful!! I havn't played AC for a while but from memory I'd say their hand animations are better.

OddTimer
30-08-2017, 10:17
AC happens to have the best wheel animation, even with a controller you got the same animation as a wheel.

A5R
30-08-2017, 15:04
AC happens to have the best wheel animation, even with a controller you got the same animation as a wheel.

This. As a console gamer I'm slightly annoyed by the lack of animations for the controller. There's animations for hand over hand in other games like dirt4, f1, driver sanfrancisco, driveclub etc as well so it's certainly doable.

Mahjik
31-08-2017, 15:29
IIRC this was discussed during pC1 development already

I will add to Remco and say this was discussed a LOT during PC1 (as I did participate in some of them). ;)

At the end of the day, SMS has their artistic vision for some things that they want to implement. Not everyone will agree, but some things will be done the way "they" want them done.