PDA

View Full Version : Advertising on corners and bridges flickers when further away

BulletApe
30-08-2017, 17:03
Been trying to get a workable VR setup with pcars and finally settled on everything off or low after messing for hours. One thing I can't find a solution for is that I'm getting flickering ads on the corners and bridges it seems like everywhere. It's like a Z-sorting issue. Whilst trying to tune the settings I think I've tried most and nothing has affected this. Now I'm running on absolute lowest settings with post turn off completely. Still flickey corners and bridge adverts that resolve fine if you drive close to them. mid to long distance they flicker like hell.

Any ideas on a way to stop the flicker ? I don't see many complaints about this issue so I guess I'm assuming it isn't happening for everyone. I'm on Win 10, 16g mem, I5 4ghz, 980ti.

djbuzz07
31-08-2017, 11:22
Hi BulletApe,

I think everyone gets this, don't think there is a way of solving it, some tracks are worse than others though?

I would suggest changing track detail to high though as this can help will items loading while they are in view.

Thanks,

BulletApe
31-08-2017, 13:23
Hi BulletApe,

I think everyone gets this, don't think there is a way of solving it, some tracks are worse than others though?

I would suggest changing track detail to high though as this can help will items loading while they are in view.

Thanks,

It's definitely Z-fighting between close polygons so I'm sure track detail won't help. Thanks for the clarification that it's not just my setup thats causing it though. I didn't think they'd have just abandoned the VR side of project cars with such a clanger of a graphical issue. Almost makes tuning it for performance a waste of time as the flickering scenery is now more obvious than ever. oh well, I guess there are always other racers.

Mascot
01-09-2017, 06:55
Been trying to get a workable VR setup with pcars and finally settled on everything off or low after messing for hours. One thing I can't find a solution for is that I'm getting flickering ads on the corners and bridges it seems like everywhere. It's like a Z-sorting issue. Whilst trying to tune the settings I think I've tried most and nothing has affected this. Now I'm running on absolute lowest settings with post turn off completely. Still flickey corners and bridge adverts that resolve fine if you drive close to them. mid to long distance they flicker like hell.

Any ideas on a way to stop the flicker ? I don't see many complaints about this issue so I guess I'm assuming it isn't happening for everyone. I'm on Win 10, 16g mem, I5 4ghz, 980ti.

I get this all the time and it's a total pain in the ass. It's really distracting and immersion-breaking. Nothing I've tried will fix it. It's one of the reasons that Assetto Corsa is my go-to sim for VR, because it's a total non-issue in AC.

I really hope SMS have identified the problem and totally eradicated it in pCARS 2 because I don't think I'll be able to put up with it. Visual glitches like this are orders of magnitude worse in VR because they can really rip you out of the experience, and it's the only thing that's giving me pause before pre-ordering pCARS 2 because ALL my sim racing is now done in VR.

I don't think it appears in YouTube VR videos of pCARS 2 because those show a 2D display representation of what you see in VR, so I've no idea if it's been successfully addressed or not. Can any WMD2 insiders or devs please comment?

Fingers crossed. My money is waiting.

Mad Al
01-09-2017, 09:26
Have you tried increasing the value for Camera near clip plane (options -> Virtual reality) and try going to extreme values to see what it does, then work backwards

Mascot
01-09-2017, 14:24
Have you tried increasing the value for Camera near clip plane (options -> Virtual reality) and try going to extreme values to see what it does, then work backwards

No, I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Any idea what causes this and if SMS have a solution for pCARS 2?

Mad Al
01-09-2017, 15:06
No, I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Any idea what causes this and if SMS have a solution for pCARS 2?

PC2 VR is much better overall than PC, due to being taken into account at the start of development, rather than having to fit in later (which is why PC VR is not as good as it could have been, but various factors made it difficult to improve without starting from scratch in several areas). PC2 has less shimmering, moiré patterns on Armco and flickering and is just better image clarity all around.

There's a reason all the YouTubers who have the Press build are throwing out loads of VR videos :)

BulletApe
01-09-2017, 18:06
I'll try messing with near clip plane too although I don't think this can be fixed without either increasing Z-buffer accuracy or removing the co-planar polys of the ads. Since it's affecting only VR users I expect it's too big an issue to deal with for such a small part of the userbase.

I don't know a huge amount about pcars but I was under the impression that it could be modded in all areas. Can the tracks be modded ? I'm guessing if they could the coplanar polygons on corners and bridges could be removed by anyone really. Anyone any links to info regarding extracting and replacing ingame tracks. I've got a lot of 3d modelling exp but don't know whats poss in pcars.

Mascot
04-09-2017, 15:24
PC2 VR is much better overall than PC, due to being taken into account at the start of development, rather than having to fit in later (which is why PC VR is not as good as it could have been, but various factors made it difficult to improve without starting from scratch in several areas). PC2 has less shimmering, moiré patterns on Armco and flickering and is just better image clarity all around.

There's a reason all the YouTubers who have the Press build are throwing out loads of VR videos :)

These glitches won't show up in the VR videos though because what's uploaded is the 2D screen mirror, not direct feed from the headset.