PDA

View Full Version : Could someone with VR run a test for me?

ecstaticbrick
02-09-2017, 18:47
Would anyone with a VR headset be willing to test something out for me please?

Could you run a race as normal but, save the replay afterwards. Then play it back in cockpit view on a monitor and let me know if the head movements are retained in the playback or is it a static camera.

Reason I am asking is, I see a lot of people complaining about the VR viewpoint game play on Youtube and I understand the uploaders using that view but, unless you are viewing it in a HMD is is quite jittery and takes some getting used to. So, if the replay does not retain the head movement that give the option to upload the replay instead of the live footage.

Thanks.

Trippul G
02-09-2017, 18:59
I'm interested in this too. I've taken to not watching any more clips of VR gameplay. I'm sure it looks great while playing, but watching it on a 2d screen with all the head motions baked in makes me want to reach for the Pepto Bismol. :uncomfortableness:

Mad Al
02-09-2017, 20:51
Yes if you play a replay on a normal monitor you get no head motion.. you also get a very wooden looking wheel motion.. you can actually use a joy pad (or your head if replaying in VR) to look around from the cockpit view on the replay (so you could watch the mirrors for example even if you hadn't been looking at them on the live run).

And yes some people really do look around a lot when in VR (especially if actually racing, rather than just doing a piece for YouTube)

I suppose you're not interested in a nice 2.4 hour of Le Mans VR replay then ?

ecstaticbrick
02-09-2017, 21:27
I suppose you're not interested in a nice 2.4 hour of Le Mans VR replay then ?

Yes! especially if it is multiclass.
I have gotten used to the VR head movement videos. I play in VR myself which is why I understand the uploaders desire to use it. You can 't beat it for immersion!

Thanks for trying it out for me, much appreciated.

STEELJOCKEY
02-09-2017, 22:03
I usually try to apply a small amount of stability when editing my videos, but I have to make sure all the HUD is turned off, otherwise the HUD becomes jitterey as the rest of the video is smoothed out.

And when in the thick of the race action, it is hard to try to keep the head still, watching mirrors, looking for car positions beside you, and checking my HUD - so much going on, I need more eyes.

I just hope that those watching the VR videos take the jittery stuff and looking around as part of VR recording, and get a sense of what VR users are really getting to experience during actual gameplay. The ability to look around, see things in 3d (which can't be shown), gain actual distance perspective......and the IMMERSION!!

Yes, the resolution is not quite what can be seen on a screen, the screens are so close to my eyes that I do see the pixels (screen door effect), but after a short while, I never notice it, and get so absorbed in the "reality" of what I'm seeing in my gameplay, that going back to a screen is like going back to an old black and white television that's only 12" across in size. And VR is going to get better the more who jump on board now and support this new technology and show the developers they need to get on this for everyone's benefit and not let it die out.

Mad Al
03-09-2017, 01:11
Yes! especially if it is multiclass.
I have gotten used to the VR head movement videos. I play in VR myself which is why I understand the uploaders desire to use it. You can 't beat it for immersion!

Thanks for trying it out for me, much appreciated.

Much as I'd love to.. it's actually the onboard from an MP test session a few weeks back (STEELJOCKEY could also supply an alternative view of the same test :)) and would probably never make it through the vetting... (if nothing else it's interesting to see how much has been fixed since that build 3 weeks ago to the test from a couple of days ago.. mind blowing amount of work being put in by SMS)

STEELJOCKEY
03-09-2017, 02:02
haha, I don't know how I missed that car on the roof the first time I came upon it