PDA

View Full Version : New to Racing Wheels - Need Advice

SafeTripHome
06-09-2017, 22:32
I'm essentially new to racing wheels (minus the use of a mad catz long ago) and am in the market for a new wheel. I'm trying to decide between the G29 and the T300GT. I'm leaning toward the T300GT but I am a mac user and I won't be able to update the firmware. Also hypothetically I would assume neither wheel would be compatible with a future PS5.

hkraft300
07-09-2017, 00:54
T300 with the pro pedals > G29 if you can stretch it.
Base T300 wheel is better than G29 but G29 has better pedals.

I have never bothered with the 29 firmware. Shouldn't be a problem whether you're playing on PS or mac.
Interesting question about PS5. Let's see how that plays out...

SenorPez
07-09-2017, 14:18
I'd agree that the T300 with pro pedals is a better option. I have a G29 and it's... okay. The pedals are great, but over the years of use, the wheel has developed a bit of "play," undoubtedly from wear on the gears.

BUT in your budget, make sure you factor in the cost of a wheelstand or something similar! When I got my first wheel years ago (a PS3 GT5 G27, I think?), I didn't, and never got good results using clamps on a table (or, heaven forbid, a lap mount... ugh!). Eventually I got a Wheelstand Pro, and while it didn't perfectly match the G29, I made it work. A well-matched mount will enable to you screw the wheels and pedals directly to it, and be heavy and cumbersome enough to stay stable as you and the wheel fight the car.

hkraft300
07-09-2017, 14:33
The G29 is weak enough that I have it clamped to a flimsy Ikea desk. A T300 or Fanatec will probably make the table jump.

SafeTripHome
08-09-2017, 00:06
Thanks for the input guys. Its my plan to get the GT Omega Wheel stand, as I'm limited to space.

Vettel-ish
08-09-2017, 16:08
Thanks for the input guys. Its my plan to get the GT Omega Wheel stand, as I'm limited to space.

Just bought a t300 base with the pro pedals. Must say I am in love with it. I bought the 599 add on wheel and a play seat. You will not regret spending the money

SafeTripHome
10-09-2017, 00:19
What's your thoughts about the shifter for the g29? Most people are saying you can easily miss a gear vs the thrustmaster shifter. Does anyone use a G29 with a TH8A.

Trans-Girl
10-09-2017, 15:18
What's your thoughts about the shifter for the g29? Most people are saying you can easily miss a gear vs the thrustmaster shifter. Does anyone use a G29 with a TH8A.

unfortunately, both of those shifters are not up to much, they are more like toys, the logitech is dire, just feels naff, the thrustmaster is better but not by much, the thrustmaster you can vaguely adjust the tension and swap it to sequential but that's a faff, the gate isn't the most accurate feeling and you will most likely miss shifts, of those two the TH8a is the better option,

Wheels... the G29 comes with an alloy wheel and its leather wrapped and has a good election of buttons the FFB is s good as the T300 but is different and some don't like but it does work, the logitechs have a good reputation for reliability... the T300 comes with a plastic wheel wrapped in rubber (horrible) the FFB is belt driven so is quieter than the G29 and feels different, the G29s pedals are better than ALL of Thrustmasters offerings, the T300s reliability can be an issue, if you get a good one they work well, saving grace for the t300 is you can put a better wheel (alcantara edition) on it, oh and the flappy paddles on the logitech have a much nicer click to them when you pull on them, it really does come down to personal preference, if you can stretch to it however, i would recommend the Fanatec CSL Elite ps4. world away from anything thrustmaster or logitech make
whichever you choose, have fun

flthy
11-09-2017, 04:32
I wish I could get the Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 in the states!!!!!!
Someone ship one to me!

Trans-Girl
11-09-2017, 06:23
I wish I could get the Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 in the states!!!!!!
Someone ship one to me!

I believe it's a licensing issue and fanatec are working to resolve it. Hopefully soon

Chomps_McGee
16-09-2017, 01:34
Well, you're in luck. They finally just released it for the US market today. https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/bundle/product/csl-elite-ps4-starter-kit-for-pc-and-ps4.html

John Hargreaves
16-09-2017, 08:30
I've had both the G29 and T300 and both are great wheels for the price and it's unlikely you'd be disappointed with either. G29 is a great package for less money; the pedals that come with the T300 are weak and plasticky, so you'd end up buying the better ones down the line, which bumps up the cost.
One small thing that made a big difference to me was the clamping system; the G29 is much easier to attach and remove than the T300. I swap between that and a joystick quite often, so it was a bigger deal for me. If it's permanently in place it's less of an issue.