PDA

View Full Version : PS4 Pro enhancements

danowat
07-09-2017, 11:03
Does Project Cars 2 take advantage on the PS4 Pro feature set?, does it have a 4K option?, does it have a 1080p but better fps than the standard PS4 option?, does it have HDR?

GenBrien
07-09-2017, 11:59
Would like to know as well.
Waiting on that to know if I buy a Pro or not

hkraft300
07-09-2017, 15:15
When the Pro came out, lot of guys were reporting that PC1 looked better and ran better (anecdotal).
So, I'm sure pc2 will have better fps at very least.

danowat
07-09-2017, 15:18
When the Pro came out, lot of guys were reporting that PC1 looked better and ran better (anecdotal).
So, I'm sure pc2 will have better fps at very least.

Ran better, (game looked identical though) yes, but only because of the system level boost mode, I wondered if SMS had taken advantage of the pro to do something else (like other devs do) outside of boost mode.

I am assuming not, I would imagine it would have been one of those things that would have been promoted if so.

amazed
07-09-2017, 15:51
AFAIK HDR

GenBrien
11-09-2017, 18:58
come on now....
the game is yout in 10 days
sure they know what difference it'll make, or if it wont make any

maxx69
11-09-2017, 21:24
I'd like to know as I'm thinking of picking up a pro if fps are better on 1080

danowat
12-09-2017, 09:55
AFAIK HDR

Does that mean the OS will see the game as "Pro enhanced" and not utilize the boost mode (which is only for non enhanced titles)?

amazed
12-09-2017, 14:28
I'm sure I read (or heard) VVV state that it was enhanced, to what level, I don't know. Will find out myself on 22nd though!

wyldanimal
13-09-2017, 00:42
The PRO has Boost Mode which only does something to games that are NOT Pro Enhanced.
So pCars 1, gained a performance because of the PRO's Boost mode.

I'm also running the PRO on a 4K TV, so even though pCars 1 was not 4k, it's upscaled and it does Look better.

The pro doesn't do both. you can't use Boost Mode with 4K.

I expect that pCars 2 will have a native Enhanced PRO mode.
It will run in 4K with HDR

Edit: https://www.gtplanet.net/project-cars-2-ps4-pro-details/
The current resolution stands at 25601440 2.5K not 4K...
But that could change in the final release.

So expect Better Visuals on the PRO. That doesn't necessarily Mean Higher Frame rate.
The Higher Resolution and HDR, might use up all the Extra Processing power.

danowat
13-09-2017, 07:55
I expect that pCars 2 will have a native Enhanced PRO mode.
It will run in 4K with HDR

Someone with review code and D1P says differently.......

Would be nice to get some concrete confirmation on this from the development team.

TerminatorGR
14-09-2017, 07:58
The game doesnt seem to have any PS4 Pro support at all. Absolutely ridiculous and totally misleading from SMS.

Siberian Tiger
14-09-2017, 08:02
The game doesnt seem to have any PS4 Pro support at all. Absolutely ridiculous and totally misleading from SMS.

From where did you get that from? There is/was no official Statement ever what the PS4 Pro will have or not have... - So i can't be missleading...
Just wait for the Release an we will see, or perhaps there will be a official Statement before...

TerminatorGR
14-09-2017, 09:58
From where did you get that from? There is/was no official Statement ever what the PS4 Pro will have or not have... - So i can't be missleading...
Just wait for the Release an we will see, or perhaps there will be a official Statement before...Review code is already in the hands of journalists and insiders, there is no Pro support. The only thing we can hope for is a future update.

Also SMS have talked about Pro and X support, leading us to believe that the game will be enhanced on these consoles.

danowat
14-09-2017, 10:15
Review code is already in the hands of journalists and insiders, there is no Pro support. The only thing we can hope for is a future update.

Also SMS have talked about Pro and X support, leading us to believe that the game will be enhanced on these consoles.

To be fair, they've only ever talked about improved X support, including the "60 or death" comment ;)

Konan
16-09-2017, 04:41
Quote from Ian at GTP...

[quote]

Compared to standard PS4:

PS4 Pro has increased graphics fidelity across the board.
It runs at a higher resolution, currently it is 2560 X 1440 which is sometimes referred to as 2.5k which is upscaling beautifully to 4k.
It has:
Extra track detail meshes.
Increased level of detail on cars, track objects, grass etc.
Increased detail and resolution with shadow rendering.
Increased detail and resolution with reflection rendering
[unquote]

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-2-general-discussion-thread-coming-september-22nd-2017.342814/page-229#post-11942995

TerminatorGR
16-09-2017, 09:52
Quote from Ian at GTP...

[quote]

Compared to standard PS4:

PS4 Pro has increased graphics fidelity across the board.
It runs at a higher resolution, currently it is 2560 X 1440 which is sometimes referred to as 2.5k which is upscaling beautifully to 4k.
It has:
Extra track detail meshes.
Increased level of detail on cars, track objects, grass etc.
Increased detail and resolution with shadow rendering.
Increased detail and resolution with reflection rendering
[unquote]

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-2-general-discussion-thread-coming-september-22nd-2017.342814/page-229#post-11942995Oh at last, thanks! Then some of these "insiders" who already have the game why did they say there is no PS4 Pro support? Tales from their *** I guess.

Konan
16-09-2017, 09:56
Maybe they meant :"haven't heard of Ps4 Pro support"
Testing was done on pc and Ps4 facts are mostly known by the Q/A team...

JohnSchoonsBeard
18-09-2017, 12:27
Oh at last, thanks! Then some of these "insiders" who already have the game why did they say there is no PS4 Pro support? Tales from their *** I guess.

From what Ian has said on GTPlanet the HDR was only put in on the Day 1 patch. Maybe that includes the rest of the Pro upgrades.

FInroDz
20-09-2017, 14:20
As we can see, better framerate and effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8xZN9LTh6I

novcze
20-09-2017, 16:32
... and bad framepacing in replays, btw. could be easily fixed with unlocked framerate in replay

Oliver1989G
21-09-2017, 23:04
The game will run and look amazing no doubt about it.

4K & 60fps is expected as long as you have a decent enough TV which supports 4K.

My expectations are high and im sure PC2 wont let me down. We will find out tonight after work lol

Madwak55
22-09-2017, 00:05
I've had a quick blast on my PS4 pro and it's very disappointing at the moment, I've maybe missed a setting somewhere but gotta get some sleep now as some of us have to work later☹️

Konan
22-09-2017, 00:32
I've had a quick blast on my PS4 pro and it's very disappointing at the moment, I've maybe missed a setting somewhere but gotta get some sleep now as some of us have to work later☹️

When you wake up can you elaborate please?

Oliver1989G
22-09-2017, 04:09

What do you mean? Whats disappointing about it?

Madwak55
22-09-2017, 06:30
I must have something set wrong because it looks like I'm playing Assetto Corsa not a project cars game ☹️ Its not even as good as PCars 1 on PS4 pro so I'm hoping it's just the game defaults that are wrong?

Siberian Tiger
22-09-2017, 06:48
Hmm, perhaps try to Start Projectcars 2 instead of AC XD

If you see a lot of Cars a nice Menu and many many Tracks and Animatied Pitcrews, then you are definitly playing pCars2 ;)

J/K aside... Please give us Details, then we can help...

Madwak55
22-09-2017, 06:57
I've not got time to investigate yet as off to work soon and I'm resisting the urge to fire up the PS4 cos I know time will just fly by. I didn't get time to go through all the menus last night but I've seen people on about 4K and 60fps but nobody has mentioned anywhere whether the game detects your hardware or whether you have to set it to output at that resolution?

rillelives
22-09-2017, 07:10
Digital foundry stated game is around-ish 1400p frame buffer upscaled to 4K on a UHD TV and best image quality is achieved on 1080p screen with higher quality AA leveraging the larger frame buffer.

I am really happy performance was opted over resolution by the development team!

breyzipp
22-09-2017, 13:45
I received my PS4 boxed edition as well, installed patch 1.03 and had a go. I already played it on a standard XBox One yesterday night with the digital copy of the game so I have a reference.

Here are my initial PS4 Pro / HDR impressions :

the good :
1 - The picture indeed looks sharper than on my XBox One (pretty obvious statement I know but just wanted to mention it anyway).
2 - I only did 1 quick race so far (Toyota GT-86 with road motorsport presets on Texas Road Course) and the handling was yet again great as on my XBox. Similar to the XBox I put all deadzones at 0 and lowered the braking sensitivity a lot (which in the end is still a preference, it works great out of the box as well).

the weird stuff:
3a - Then some weird things. Both the opening video and the first career introduction video were very washed out and greyed out. As if what supposed to be pitch black was only 50% black and every color in between was scaled accordingly. Did not have that issue on my XBox.
3b - Other weird thing, under HDR calibration there is a slider I should move to match the brightness of 2 boxes or something, but I only see 1 white box in the center of the screen. I was even doubting if HDR was enabled at all since in the race it was not THAT obvious as in that only other HDR game I have, Horizon Zero Dawn. So I fired up HZD and that looked just fine with clearly HDR content showing (the HZD intro video shows it very obvious). During racing itself I *THINK* I am seeing a HDR picture but I'm not entirely sure. Is there a certain location on a track where an object or scenery looks significantly different in HDR than in full HD? Then I will check out that spot on both my XBox One and PS4 Pro.
3c - Another weird thing, on the vehicle selection screen when you go to showroom the entire room is so dark, it feels as if someone turned out the lights in that room and only a minor light source is close to the ground in the are of the car. When the camera zooms in on the rim/side of the car for example, the side windows are already partially darkened / greyed out.
4 - I also noticed on my race at Texas road course (15 opponent cars from the same class) that if one of those Ford F-150 RTR trucks is in front of me and pulling away, it does a flicker/flash thingy when the car is about 20-40 meters in front of me. Is that the LOD of that AI car dropping to a lesser detailed model? I'd have to say in the case of the F-150 RTR this looks a bit too obvious. It always happened on the last corner, when you make an amost 180 degree turn to go back on the oval section. Each time an RTR was in front of me and pulling away (being faster than me) this happened. Weather conditions was standard, I didn't change anything apart from loading the road motorsport preset.

I will link to this post from the PS4 support forum as well.

danowat
22-09-2017, 13:49
3b - Other weird thing, under HDR calibration there is a slider I should move to match the brightness of 2 boxes or something, but I only see 1 white box in the center of the screen.

Yup, I can confirm this, moving the sliding to the extremes changes nothing, I am not even convinced HDR is enabled, is there not a menu item that allows you to turn HDR on and off?

amazed
22-09-2017, 17:10
Yup, I can confirm this, moving the sliding to the extremes changes nothing, I am not even convinced HDR is enabled, is there not a menu item that allows you to turn HDR on and off?

When I move slider to extreme left I get two squares....

Oliver1989G
22-09-2017, 22:55
I have to admit the Graphics look sharper and cleaner on PC1.

Nonetheless PC2 is also crisp clean however maybe ive put so many hours into PC1 i was expecting the same or better with gameplay / graphics.

Personally its great so far have only played it for 4hours and there will be improvements made in the coming weeks from SMS.

Olijke Poffer
23-09-2017, 07:07
Yeah I think the gfx is better on Pcars1 than it is now on Pcars2. Lots of AA issues. Long Beach, my favo track is not that beautiful this way. To bad..

LeMansIndy500
24-09-2017, 01:38
When I'm in HDR during night races the sky looks more like a dark grey than black. I can also see silhouettes of trees, trackside objects in the very far distance, and even the layout of the track ahead (almost as if I was racing under a full moon). If I turn HDR off the sky is pitch black and I can't see anything outside the coverage of my headlights, which to me is more realistic. Just wondering if everyone else has the same experience in HDR as me or whether I have some settings to fiddle around with?

Patrickb1973
24-09-2017, 02:06
When I'm in HDR during night races the sky looks more like a dark grey than black. I can also see silhouettes of trees, trackside objects in the very far distance, and even the layout of the track ahead (almost as if I was racing under a full moon). If I turn HDR off the sky is pitch black and I can't see anything outside the coverage of my headlights, which to me is more realistic. Just wondering if everyone else has the same experience in HDR as me or whether I have some settings to fiddle around with?

I turned the HDR slider more to the left first all the way till i saw the 2 boxes then to the right till the 2nd box was gone and blended with the other, but i agree HDR needs some work, did you turn HDR of in the console settings of PS4 itself because i didnt see an option in the game

slowGamer
24-09-2017, 07:56
I own both a regular and a pro and on the pro it runs smoother on 1080P. Not sure if it's boost or game level optimization

LeMansIndy500
24-09-2017, 08:56
I turned the HDR slider more to the left first all the way till i saw the 2 boxes then to the right till the 2nd box was gone and blended with the other, but i agree HDR needs some work, did you turn HDR of in the console settings of PS4 itself because i didnt see an option in the game

I did the same with the slider but it hasn't made any difference. Yep I turned the option off on the console itself. I'll see if I can get a screenshot later on.

Patrickb1973
24-09-2017, 16:09
I did the same with the slider but it hasn't made any difference. Yep I turned the option off on the console itself. I'll see if I can get a screenshot later on.

HDR is definitely not correctly implemented, with HDR turned off on the console it is indeed black night and with it on its more greyish. I hope it gets fixed. Also an HDR off ingame would be usefull to some.

GBO Possum
24-09-2017, 17:36
On HDR calibration...

Slide the slider all the way to the left. A second square will appear within the white square.

Another one of those slightly mad defaults!

LeMansIndy500
24-09-2017, 23:08
On HDR calibration...

Slide the slider all the way to the left. A second square will appear within the white square.

Another one of those slightly mad defaults!

I've adjusted the slider as far left as I can before the boxes don't match but I still can't see a difference between that and the default setting.

breyzipp
24-09-2017, 23:23
I found the second square as well, once you move it all the way to the right a black square will appear in the white square. Then move the slider back to the right until both are just white again and you're done.

Quite frankly I don't see any difference in HDR experience if it was calibrated or not. Lot of fuss for the slider, pretty underwhelming outcome. :)