PDA

View Full Version : Do AI drivers know it's going to rain?

Guy Smiley
13-09-2017, 05:22
Hi all, I'm new. Anyway, question is: my forecast says overcast, but after just one lap all the AI cars go into the pit, and I'm all "what are they doing?" I stay out and take the lead :). Then one or two laps later it starts raining. Do the AI have weather knowledge that we don't? Thanks

Guy Smiley
13-09-2017, 05:29
Sorry, just did a rain search and found out that yes, in fact they do :mad:

Bealdor
13-09-2017, 05:41
The AI knows that it'll rain at the exact time you know it, which is just a few minutes before (Hit the pause button and you'll see that it'll rain soon).
IRL your pit crew also knows that it'll rain soon because they're watching the weather radar...

FS7
13-09-2017, 14:33
In my experience both in career and in solo mode AI knows exactly when it's going to rain and go to the pits at the right moment. Forecast at the beginning of the race isn't accurate, neither is the forecast you see in the pause menu, one simply has to watch the conditions, feel the handling of the car, and make the proper choices of strategy.

hkraft300
13-09-2017, 15:00
Unless you're at Nordschleife, you'll safely make it back to the pits when you see the first drops of rain. It takes a few minutes for the track to get worse you'll be right to box and switch tires.
Alternatively, if the AI box unexpectedly, check the weather forecast.

FS7
13-09-2017, 15:21
Alternatively, if the AI box unexpectedly, check the weather forecast.
Like I said weather forecast in PCars1 isn't always accurate, especially in career with scaled race length. Same goes for engineer weather alerts (eg: "we're expecting rain in the next 30 minutes", it starts to rain a couple of minutes later).
There have been situations where I saw AI going into the pits, I paused to check forecast and it said "medium cloud" or something like that and it started to rain shortly after, and weather forecast only changed to rain after it started raining. I've even had situations where it was raining and in the pause menu it said "current weather light cloud".

Best thing is to practice in different weather conditions before the race and be able to adapt to whatever happens.

Konan
13-09-2017, 16:07
Pcars2 situation example:
You're driving around -> it starts to rain-> make pit request->stops raining-> cancell pit request
Next lap...same thing...
It'll take me a while to realise it's only raining at part of the track...man this will be so much fun!
(Sorry for the off topic) :rolleyes:

pa_pinkelman
28-09-2017, 10:05
Pcars2 situation example:
You're driving around -> it starts to rain-> make pit request->stops raining-> cancell pit request
Next lap...same thing...
It'll take me a while to realise it's only raining at part of the track...man this will be so much fun!
(Sorry for the off topic) :rolleyes:

On paper yes but in reality it is not much fun when the AI cars drive through the wet patches like there is no rain at all while the player is aquaplaning like crazy and losing lots of places. I experienced this at SPA where light rain came after 5 laps of racing in a 15 lap race. It could be the AI started the race on rain tires, but if that was the case this means the AI knows before the race that rain is expected after 5 laps. If so, I would like to know this also before the race so I can start on rain tires also.