PDA

View Full Version : Rumours of a huge Day One patch

TS040 Sparky
14-09-2017, 11:59
Been looking on social media outlets and a lot of people are saying there's a huge Day One patch for the game, wondering if anyone has any legit information on this? And how big the patch is?

8 days fees like a life time now haha.

Sankyo
14-09-2017, 12:08
The game has to go gold quite early for approval, which means that all improvements and fixes done after that date have to be put in a D1P. The devs have been and still are working overtime since Gold to keep on improving the game, so yeah it will be a significant 'patch' (I rather see it as part of the release version but due to administrative goo split up into two deliveries :)).

APR193
14-09-2017, 12:10
All games have a day 1 patch. Don't expect any details to be revealed about it, I don't think I've ever seen patch notes on a day 1 patch

TS040 Sparky
14-09-2017, 12:17
The game has to go gold quite early for approval, which means that all improvements and fixes done after that date have to be put in a D1P. The devs have been and still are working overtime since Gold to keep on improving the game, so yeah it will be a significant 'patch' (I rather see it as part of the release version but due to administrative goo split up into two deliveries :)).

Thank you! Was only curious, some saying the patch is well over 5GB (pinch of salt needed) either way I cannot for the game!

Bealdor
14-09-2017, 12:21
Thank you! Was only curious, some saying the patch is well over 5GB...

It probably will be. Track files are huge and one simple change means you have to download the whole file again, not just those two trees that were added. ;)

TS040 Sparky
14-09-2017, 12:24
^_^

TerminatorGR
14-09-2017, 12:47
The game has to go gold quite early for approval, which means that all improvements and fixes done after that date have to be put in a D1P. The devs have been and still are working overtime since Gold to keep on improving the game, so yeah it will be a significant 'patch' (I rather see it as part of the release version but due to administrative goo split up into two deliveries :)).Is PS4 Pro support included in this patch?

Mahjik
14-09-2017, 12:51
Is PS4 Pro support included in this patch?

SMS never announced what "PS4 Pro Support" they would have so no one knows.

Just to note, Ian has been posting about D1P for a while now in various forums so it's definitely not a secret.

GenBrien
14-09-2017, 12:51
Is PS4 Pro support included in this patch?

Ian said that their isan embargo on vids until the 18th for review. Guess we'll know more after that

drathuu
14-09-2017, 12:55
Thank you! Was only curious, some saying the patch is well over 5GB (pinch of salt needed) either way I cannot for the game!

Amusingly the average daily patch was around 4gb (Yes daily) in beta, some were 2gb, some 20gb. However the patcher literally downloaded the entire file for any small change in the file.

(If they only update the changed data it might be 5-8gb)..

However if they use the patching method from Beta, it may be well over 25-40gb

Sankyo
14-09-2017, 13:12
Amusingly the average daily patch was around 4gb (Yes daily) in beta, some were 2gb, some 20gb. However the patcher literally downloaded the entire file for any small change in the file.

It's how Steam works, unfortunately.

TS040 Sparky
14-09-2017, 13:27

Sounds similar to what Dice does with Battlefield 1, massive updates etc. I'm ok with that!

Trippul G
14-09-2017, 14:12
If it's only a few GBs, I can deal with that. If it starts going into double digit GBs, there are gonna be some cranky sim racers come midnight next Thursday...:livid::miserable:

Roger Prynne
14-09-2017, 15:37
^ It'll be worth it though :encouragement:

Silraed
14-09-2017, 15:51
Hopefully it won't be too big, some of us still have to struggle through data limits.

Eric Rowland
14-09-2017, 17:12
administrative goo?

ramm21
14-09-2017, 18:13
Will we get a car and track to hoon around on until the whole thing loads like PC1?

Sankyo
14-09-2017, 18:37
administrative goo?

That's what I like to blame it on, the process of getting the game release candidate approved.

rosko
14-09-2017, 18:52
What sort of space do i need to clear on my drive? I need to cull some stuff by the looks of it.

gotdirt410sprintcar
14-09-2017, 18:54
Feeling excited . SMS RULES

Javaniceday
14-09-2017, 18:55
Hopefully it won't be too big, some of us still have to struggle through data limits.

And that's why everyone should protect Net Neutrality.

Don't trust the telecoms, ISPs or the gop on this.

snipeme77
14-09-2017, 20:35
Look, I get that games have to go gold eventually, BUT... I freaking hate day one patches. Nothing is worse then getting a game and having to wait a week or so for the thing to install and then download the patches. I waited 2 weeks to play AC, took almost a month to download Train Simulator...

RacingAtHome
14-09-2017, 20:50

I don't think you understand what net neutrality is. I'll provide the definition for you.
"The principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favouring or blocking particular products or websites."

Through that, they're not blocking access to anything. Although I disagree with data limits as well, it's not a net neutrality issue.

Johnny_91
14-09-2017, 23:04
Maybe we get offline custom championships ? :D:cool::o

Alan Dallas
14-09-2017, 23:13

I don't think you understand what net neutrality is. I'll provide the definition for you.
"The principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favouring or blocking particular products or websites."

Through that, they're not blocking access to anything. Although I disagree with data limits as well, it's not a net neutrality issue.

You beat me to it.
Summary: Net Neutrality has nothing to do with Data Limits and everything to do with access. Currently North American ISP's don't block out access to anything. Net Neutrality is another attempt at big government to over regulate something that regulates itself.

Alan Dallas
14-09-2017, 23:16
On topic: non-WMD testers/Steam users probably won't notice a D1P as it will be included in the initial download.

Javaniceday
15-09-2017, 00:21

You beat me to it.
Summary: Net Neutrality has nothing to do with Data Limits and everything to do with access. Currently North American ISP's don't block out access to anything

Off-topic, sorry, but gotta clarify.

This is why they are related. So right now the guy has a data limit to downloads, right? Well, all Steam has to do is pay a nice little ransom to the ISP, for ex. Comcast, and then Steam's data won't get blocked once the customer reaches the data limit. Or the customer can pay a fee if he wants to download more. But if he downloads from a specific provider, say a Steam competitor that is owned by Comcast, the fee is waived.

See? It is a net-neutrality issue.

In this scenario, the data is not treated with neutrally. If Steam, or the customer, or both pay a ransom, the cap is lifted. And those that don't pay the fee get their data treated differently.

We can chat more about this in PM if you wish :)

BigDad
15-09-2017, 00:37
?...

KuKIE
15-09-2017, 03:08
I would much rather see a day 1 patch than a broken game or a delayed launch.

I don't see what the big deal is about a download that might be only 10% of the size of a whole game you have to download anyways, and that being said, there are many games out there that are 20-30 gigs larger than Project Cars 2, and its not like they didn't have day 1 patches. (I already have the whole game on my drive and i'm going to delete it an re download the whole thing again just to make sure there isn't anything left over from the beta that could cause trouble.)

First world problems... :sorrow: don't forget to get mad at the video card companies for having to download a day 1 driver update for the game as well.

While you sit there waiting for your download to finish you should think about this little story, its about a guy who spent 5 years saving up money with a dream of one day owning and driving a race car.

Once he had enough money he bought a car suitable for the project. He then spent another year and a half building the car and throwing even more money at it. Then finally one day, nearly 7 years after he set out on his journey, he won his first regional event. The next year he won again but broke the car in the process, so now kind of like an update to a game, he needs to spend more time and money, so that his car, like your game, will run better and not crash because of a problem that wasn't addressed.

This guy knows the pain and suffering it takes go racing for real and so you will never see him complain about downloading an update for a game. (btw crashing IRL is so much worse than your game crashing, trust me)

BigDad
15-09-2017, 03:43
I would much rather see a day 1 patch than a broken game or a delayed launch.

I don't see what the big deal is about a download that might be only 10% of the size of a whole game you have to download anyways, and that being said, there are many games out there that are 20-30 gigs larger than Project Cars 2, and its not like they didn't have day 1 patches. (I already have the whole game on my drive and i'm going to delete it an re download the whole thing again just to make sure there isn't anything left over from the beta that could cause trouble.)

First world problems... :sorrow: don't forget to get mad at the video card companies for having to download a day 1 driver update for the game as well.

While you sit there waiting for your download to finish you should think about this little story, its about a guy who spent 5 years saving up money with a dream of one day owning and driving a race car.

Once he had enough money he bought a car suitable for the project. He then spent another year and a half building the car and throwing even more money at it. Then finally one day, nearly 7 years after he set out on his journey, he won his first regional event. The next year he won again but broke the car in the process, so now kind of like an update to a game, he needs to spend more time and money, so that his car, like your game, will run better and not crash because of a problem that wasn't addressed.

This guy knows the pain and suffering it takes go racing for real and so you will never see him complain about downloading an update for a game. (btw crashing IRL is so much worse than your game crashing, trust me)

But on that day after 7 years of development did he need to spend the first day doing updates or was he just set to drive? lol

KuKIE
15-09-2017, 04:31
But on that day after 7 years of development did he need to spend the first day doing updates or was he just set to drive? lol

To keep it simple, yes, after all that work, you still have to put fuel in it and drive to the track, that in itself can cost and take more time than a game and a download. lol

I was trying to keep it short and to the point, which is wasn't really... but in reality it was much worse than that.

The entry fee had been paid a few months before the race but in the couple of weeks leading up to the event working on the car getting it ready, the rear subframe bolts broke off inside the unibody. At this point it was mid November and the was snow on the ground and fixing the car in time for the race with the amount of money in hand was not looking possible at this point. But he didnt give up. He came up with a last ditch effort plan and decided to take all the parts he needed off of his race car and install them on his daily driver (and only running car).

He had 2 weeks to do so (in his snowy driveway), how hard could it be? well don't ever ask, because a couple of days later the plumbing failed and sewage flooded the house. So now he was living in a hotel, and had to drive home after dinner (after a day of work) to work on the car in the snow and if he needed to wash his hands or go to the bathroom he had to drive back to the hotel or a nearby restaurant. He managed to make it to the start line (as you already know) but he also had in the back of his mind that he also had to drive this car to work on Monday.

Konan
15-09-2017, 05:31
^^ was that guy you by any chance?

APR193
15-09-2017, 08:55
From someone who bought COD Infinite Warfare when it was cheapish and preowned just so I could play COD4 again, and had to wait for 150gb to download to play a near 10 year old game, 5-10 for a day one patch seems like nothing

Zpectre87
16-09-2017, 00:55

This assumed link between net neutrality and data caps is one of the biggest post-truths in the contemporary world. Ironically, it did not come from the GOP camp. :D

breyzipp
16-09-2017, 18:39
From someone who bought COD Infinite Warfare when it was cheapish and preowned just so I could play COD4 again, and had to wait for 150gb to download to play a near 10 year old game, 5-10 for a day one patch seems like nothing

It's insane isn't it. MW is actually the biggest game in size on my XBox One...

Trippul G
16-09-2017, 19:48

I had Gears of War 4 on my drive, from back when it had a free to play weekend a few months ago. IIRC, that was weighing in at a decidedly portly 90+ GB. (Notice my use of the past tense...that game has since moved on to the great pixel graveyard in the sky...)

John Hargreaves
16-09-2017, 20:03
Don't think you should worry too much about the D1P, because they have been working on patch 2 for a couple of weeks now. So D1P=release day version, D2?P will be the version we all play without realising it and no doubt there will be plenty more support patches to come. Only people playing the bare release version will be those without an internet connection (not sure if a modern game will even work without a connection these days) but the rest of us will enjoy the game as it was intended to be pretty soon after release. Like any modern complex game it may have one or two teething troubles, but it was pretty close when it was pulled from WMD2, so nothing major. During development we had over 850 'patches', so one or two more will do no harm.
One thing SMS have proved in the past is their willingness to support their work after release.

APR193
17-09-2017, 07:11

I sold it after completing both games' campaigns as I value the hard drive space more than online shooters :p

321Respawn
18-09-2017, 00:08
I plan on deleting Program Files (x86) seeing as its 38 GBs and I already have a smaller folder called Program Files.

Roger Prynne
18-09-2017, 10:49
^ Joking of course.