PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli partnership with SMS

Eric Rowland
15-09-2017, 16:40
Has this partnership put pCars 2 over the top in regards to the availability of data on tyre behavior and specific technical advice? Has this been implemented into the sim in a useful way? We all know the surface has barely been scratched regarding tyre feel and behavior in a variety of parameters. I'm hoping for a modest breakthrough.....:tears_of_joy:

breyzipp
15-09-2017, 18:02
Has this partnership put pCars 2 over the top in regards to the availability of data on tyre behavior and specific technical advice? Has this been implemented into the sim in a useful way? We all know the surface has barely been scratched regarding tyre feel and behavior in a variety of parameters. I'm hoping for a modest breakthrough.....:tears_of_joy:

Watch this at 2:40. Pirelli for sure is involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPVl6xwcZ-g

Eric Rowland
15-09-2017, 18:14
Upon re-watching the video, it is very reassuring to know Mr Goodwin is impressed and satisfied that the McLarens are well represented in the sim. Now, at last, the amateur skeptics don't have a leg to stand on in their criticisms of physics and handling. I hope all the Pirelli shod cars are represented properly as well.

Javaniceday
15-09-2017, 18:32
Upon re-watching the video, it is very reassuring to know Mr Goodwin is impressed and satisfied that the McLarens are well represented in the sim. Now, at last, the amateur skeptics don't have a leg to stand on in their criticisms of physics and handling. I hope the Pirelli shod cars are represented properly as well.

Well said.

Purg
15-09-2017, 19:33
Upon re-watching the video, it is very reassuring to know Mr Goodwin is impressed and satisfied that the McLarens are well represented in the sim.

It'll be the first car I try.

TexasTyme214
15-09-2017, 21:33
It's been said that Pirelli's secret sauce has been injected into every tire in the game. I think the post is in GTPlanet somewhere.

GTsimms
15-09-2017, 21:57
It may be a secret, but they are very good!

3800racingfool
15-09-2017, 22:37
It's been said that Pirelli's secret sauce has been injected into every tire in the game. I think the post is in GTPlanet somewhere.

Maybe you meat this article (https://www.projectcarsgame.com/newspc2/how-one-final-session-with-mclarens-chief-test-driver-chris-goodwin-changed-the-feel-of-project-cars-2)?

Eric Rowland
16-09-2017, 01:45
I cannot wait to try out what this is all about......

“Vitale and I were flipping through what Pirelli had brought to the session—sort of a ‘prepare’ or summary mode, which helps us choose areas to dig into,” recalls AJ. “The moment I saw the patch pressure distribution sheets, all sorts of bells started sounding in my head. I knew immediately that we’d just stumbled onto something crucial. I ran downstairs to tell Casey.”

“It was a really simple thing with a big impact!” recalls Casey. “See, our SETA tyre model breaks down the contact patch of each tyre to 36 individual points of contact, and we can visualize the contact patch pressure profile of each tyre while driving. Pirelli does similar testing on real-world tyres, and AJ had seen what the contact patch pressure of the real tyre looked like compared to ours. Most crucially, he noticed a disparity between the two models.

“We immediately began fiddling with our 720S tyre to make it look more like the real thing. With Chris testing the changes, we realised there was a direct correlation to making a tyre that looked right, to having a tyre with the right handling and steering feel. Just like that, we’d transformed the feel of the 720S, and Chris was absolutely delighted.”

Not only the 720S. Armed with Pirelli’s contact patch pressure profiles, Casey and AJ immediately got to work altering the tyre model on all the cars on Project CARS 2. It wasn’t long before drivers such as Tommy Milner, and Vaughn Gittin Jr., and Ben Collins began sending them exultant feedback on the handling of the cars in-game.

GTsimms
16-09-2017, 02:49
Be prepared to get addicted to the secret sauce!

John Hargreaves
16-09-2017, 08:20
Upon re-watching the video, it is very reassuring to know Mr Goodwin is impressed and satisfied that the McLarens are well represented in the sim. Now, at last, the amateur skeptics don't have a leg to stand on in their criticisms of physics and handling. I hope all the Pirelli shod cars are represented properly as well.

Although I have a hunch that might not stop them though :rolleyes:

born2bslow
16-09-2017, 08:59
The McLaren article was posted in May...when you read it again it's difficult to understand why it didn't grab more headlines...innovative stuff, moving us closer to reality in a video game. I don't like to wish my life away but I can afford to lose a week to get my hands back on this brilliant driving sim.

GTsimms
16-09-2017, 16:04
The McLaren article was posted in May...when you read it again it's difficult to understand why it didn't grab more headlines...innovative stuff, moving us closer to reality in a video game. I don't like to wish my life away but I can afford to lose a week to get my hands back on this brilliant driving sim.

Yeah, the withdrawals set in way too quick for me. The leap Project CARS 2 makes over Project CARS 1, it is just mind blowing! The amazing work SMS put into the tires with the data and additional driver feedback tweaks! I like the Rusakko Gaming reaction to the difference after 2:30 to 3:32 in the video link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcDOJVSsjrE&t=223s

konnos
16-09-2017, 16:45

Such a move can be easily interpreted otherwise. People such as himself dont play games and dont play sims. This is probably his first involvement with a commercial sim and as such he has no base of reference to judge it. He was very impressed with the end result and most probably didnt think a game could come so close or can be so complicated as what he drove. So, if you think about it, he wasnt impressed solely on pcars2 but he could be impressed by how far games have come. This is probably half the truth and pcars2 might be this amazing. But keep in mind that not everyone sees such an article and takes it positively, if it s a nay sayer, he s most likely thinking that this is an attempt by sms to impress the crowds.

honespc
16-09-2017, 17:22
Let's hope that this partnership went a lot deeper than just the mere announcement.

Just as the the hype increases exponentially to the almost here day of release, so does the concern on the absolute lack of the actual information that actually matters (the little details where pc1 got it all wrong) on the new tyre model, and youtube videos don't offer a lot of hope on the subject.

Tyres behaving better in what it comes to handling under the limit does not equal to a superior tyre model. It equals more fun which is what got me hyped about pc2 handling, but from there to be the superior tyre model.., that remains to be seen.

GTsimms
16-09-2017, 18:50
Pirelli World Challenge Confirmed for Project CARS 2
https://www.gtplanet.net/pirelli-world-challenge-confirmed-project-cars-2/

Hobbs77
16-09-2017, 19:12
Here's hoping they include all the missing tracks with an update or at the very least with a DLC package.

Stonecutter
16-09-2017, 23:25
So since it's officially licensed will we have to race under both formats in career?

Here's hoping they include all the missing tracks with an update or at the very least with a DLC package.

Doing that would also make the IndyCar content more complete considering how often they co-headline.

snipeme77
17-09-2017, 00:21
So since it's officially licensed will we have to race under both formats in career?

Doing that would also make the IndyCar content more complete considering how often they co-headline.

I'm hopping for a sort of "year 2 expansion" with say the 2018 indycar, a handful of the indycar tracks, any new World Challange cars (or maybe some classic one's like the Viper and or the Acura TX GT3) with a handfull of the world challange tracks.

Luckily many of the tracks are shared between the two series like Mid Ohio, and St Petersburg. Canadian Motorsports Park would be a solid Choice as well, I know a lot of people want that one.

r_outsider
17-09-2017, 02:10
I'm hopping for a sort of "year 2 expansion" with say the 2018 indycar, a handful of the indycar tracks, any new World Challange cars (or maybe some classic one's like the Viper and or the Acura TX GT3) with a handfull of the world challange tracks.

Luckily many of the tracks are shared between the two series like Mid Ohio, and St Petersburg. Canadian Motorsports Park would be a solid Choice as well, I know a lot of people want that one.

An expansion like this would be fantastic.