PDA

View Full Version : Thrustmaster TMX vs. Logitech G920

NeonWilderness
18-09-2017, 20:07
Hi, as the price for both has decreased a lot lately I was thinking about getting a wheel to play Project Cars on my Xbox One.
I could get a TMX for 160 euros, a TMX Pro for 219, and the Logitech G920 for 223.
Does anybody had one of these, or both, and could help me decide? I would go for the TMX for the price, and because I've read it has better force feedback than the Logitech; the only reason I would want the G920 is because it looks better.
Also, are the pedals of the TMX Pro worth the extra money? I would not us a clutch btw.
So, is the (cheap) TMX any worth? Or is the G920 (or more expensive wheels) worth the bigger price?
Thanks!

snipeme77
18-09-2017, 20:59
Okay so I had a DFGT, which had a older rendition of the G920 FFB system. I swapped over to the TMX for Xbox, and I must say I'm overall happy with the change.

Here's what you need to know.

The Thrustmaster clamp is big and balky, and the wheel still moves maybe a 1/8 of a inch to either side. (May just be my table, its very thick. I had to take off the little rubber pads on the bottom of the wheel the normally keep it from moving.)

Stock pedals are okay, better than the DFGT in my opinion, but a little worse than the G920. Get the T3PA pedals if you can, and if not look up TX pedal brake mod. It's a simple mod that will make the pedals a 100x better under braking. Just note the stock pedals are light, so I duct taped mine to the floor.

The TMX has weaker but smoother and more tactile feedback. It's much clearer what the car is doing and a heck of a lot quieter. Just watch those metal flappy paddles, they are VERY sharp out of the box, and will cut you if you saw on the wheel like I do.

Overall the TMX is a solid wheel, and I really like mine. If you can get it with the better pedals for cheaper than the Logitech, I would say go for it!

That being said, if you can get the G920 with the gear stick for around 230-250 ish. It might be worth it if you plan on driving older cars a lot.

NeonWilderness
18-09-2017, 21:21
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I could get the TMX with the T3PA pedals for a little less than the G920, so I guess I'll wait a bit to see if the price drops even more, and I'll go with the TMX Pro. I don't plan on getting the gear stick in the near future; the Logitech would be much cheaper though, but the Thrustmaster stick seems much much better.

Flanimal
18-09-2017, 22:38
Hi, I've had both. I'm currently using the 920 as the TX I had developed a fault. It just kept spinning wildly from left to right, Thrustmaster did have a bad batch of bases.
I love the 920, you just plug it in and play, I found the TX to be a bit temperamental, the odd race you'd start would have no feedback. The 920 has been a solid performer.
Yes, the FFB on the TX is biblical, it will literally rip your arms out of your sockets, that being said, the 920 is not that far behind and as you said, it's more pleasing to the eye. Not that that makes you any faster!
You won't be disappointed with either, I guess it's all about your budget.
Hope this helps.

snipeme77
18-09-2017, 22:56
Hi, I've had both. I'm currently using the 920 as the TX I had developed a fault. It just kept spinning wildly from left to right, Thrustmaster did have a bad batch of bases.
I love the 920, you just plug it in and play, I found the TX to be a bit temperamental, the odd race you'd start would have no feedback. The 920 has been a solid performer.
Yes, the FFB on the TX is biblical, it will literally rip your arms out of your sockets, that being said, the 920 is not that far behind and as you said, it's more pleasing to the eye. Not that that makes you any faster!
You won't be disappointed with either, I guess it's all about your budget.
Hope this helps.

Remember tmx not the tm.

FIA
19-09-2017, 00:57
Yes as said above TMX is the best option, it is part belt, part gear, and this makes for less center dead zone and a smother wheel
also get the TMX PRO for the t3pa pedals as getting just the other TMX and not the pro will cost you more after for the t3pa pedals

t3pa are way better, especially the brake, this pedal is the most important of all, and come with the conical rubber brake mod
this will come in use, trust me, as for the clamp, i can say there is zero movement on a GT Omega wheel stand, it is solid

just check for new updates from thrustmaster site, download driver to pc and then update, 7 is the latest update.

NeonWilderness
19-09-2017, 15:41
Ok, thanks for the answers. I'll wait a couple of weeks and get either the TMX pro or the G920 (I'm leaning more towards the TMX btw) depending on the best offer I find.

satco1066
20-09-2017, 01:16
The best choice in my personal opinion is the TX.
WHy. Bcause of the eco system. If you like to upgrade in the future ( e.g. like me ) then this offers the best options to.

I started with a TX on the XBox with Forza 5 and when pCARS came out i changed to the PC side.
Then i bought the GTE Addon wheel, later the F1 addon, the pro pedals and the gear shifter in the last 2 years. Piece by piece.
And for Christmas a TS-PC base is on the list.
The good thing? All my addons can be used in the future.
Thats why i like the modular ecosystem starting with TX.

snipeme77
20-09-2017, 01:43
The best choice in my personal opinion is the TX.
WHy. Bcause of the eco system. If you like to upgrade in the future ( e.g. like me ) then this offers the best options to.

I started with a TX on the XBox with Forza 5 and when pCARS came out i changed to the PC side.
Then i bought the GTE Addon wheel, later the F1 addon, the pro pedals and the gear shifter in the last 2 years. Piece by piece.
And for Christmas a TS-PC base is on the list.
The good thing? All my addons can be used in the future.
Thats why i like the modular ecosystem starting with TX.

Again he's looking at the TMX not the TX. the TMX doesn't let you change steering wheels although the pedals and shifter are still compatible.

The TX is a excellent wheel I'm sure, but I can't afford to drop the cash on it. $300 USD is pretty steep for a college student. I Got my TMX on sale for $130, and trust me, I would have paid the MSRP ($200 USD) had I had the chance to test it.

As I said, the G920 has the same sort of FFB system as the G25, G27, and the DFGT. It's not bad for a $200-250 USD wheel, especially if you can get the shifter, it's just dated. There's a dead zone in the middle of the wheel, it's somewhat clunky feeling, but the FFB is strong overall. It's enough to get you going if you can get the whole set up for a good price and it will last you a long time being a gear driven wheel.

On a side note, I wonder how long my TMX will last FFB wise? Being half belt driven FFB, I'm guessing that belt is going to wear out eventually? Does Thrustmaster offer TX and TMX Belt replacement?

FIA
20-09-2017, 03:21
If the belt in the TMX is the same as the one use in the TX then ill say your not going to need a replacement
iv seen the belt and it is thick and looks strong, iv not seen any review of a belt needing a replacement

but also keep in mind, that you don't need full strength FFB at all times, as this could add to this wear out of belt and motor..

NeonWilderness
20-09-2017, 14:39
The price for the TMX Pro dropped at 199 euros, seems like a good moment to buy it.

Rantam
20-09-2017, 14:42
I have used Logitech and Thrustmaster steering wheels, and I think I'd go for the Thrustmaster ;)

Regards

NeonWilderness
20-09-2017, 14:44
The TX is 260 euros, I could stretch my budget a little but it has the same two-plastic-pedals of the TMX, and I don't like the "Ferrari wheel" at all, so I should get new pedals and a new wheel and spend another 200+ euros on it.. That's why I'll go with the TMX Pro.

NeonWilderness
20-09-2017, 14:45
I have used Logitech and Thrustmaster steering wheels, and I think I'd go for the Thrustmaster ;)

Regards

Cool. :D