PDA

View Full Version : Slow on straights with GT3 cars

Alfisti
19-09-2017, 13:51
Pretty consistent theme here that I cannot shake.

As an example, was in a GT3 race last night at Road America where i am very comfortable. Consistently losing a solid car length on the three long straights, a little more TBH, even in the tow i am barely holding the gap but should be gaining. Of most concern is the second straight, I am flying out of turn two, gaining on other cars then they lose me on the downhill straight into the very tight left hander.

I have rear downforce almost to it's lowest setting, front downforce in the middle and gearing is right. The car feels kinda loose so cannot take anymore df off. My mid corner speed and exit speeds are often faster than the competition but as soon as we hit the straight, i am losing out.

Any ideas? Happens across all cars in class.

hkraft300
19-09-2017, 14:37
I have rear downforce almost to it's lowest setting, front downforce in the middle and gearing is right. The car feels kinda loose so cannot take anymore df off. My mid corner speed and exit speeds are often faster than the competition but as soon as we hit the straight, i am losing out.

Drag.
They're on 0 wings.
You have the df to launch out of the corners but the drag slows you. They're slow out of the corners but less drag so they get away.

Alfisti
19-09-2017, 14:50
Against every car? You think everyone else has gone to zero wings? All I have left is one click on the front and rear, that's it, it's not a lot. I'll try it and see what happens but the cars are loose already.

Another thought, could traction control be the culprit? I have rather mild settings (clicker a long way to the right) but maybe that's impacting it as I cycle through the gears?

hkraft300
19-09-2017, 15:12
Probably.
Well the AMG and Bentley have the grunt to be running some wing.

TC is helping you exit the corners. It's not doing anything when you're down the straights.

Alfisti
19-09-2017, 15:24
It may be disabling a little slip and hampering my pace through the middle gears, i remember back in the day on Gran Turismo 2 i was CHRONICALLY slow on the straights and reduced TC and suddenly i was there.

i will play around and see what happens.

Bealdor
19-09-2017, 18:23
Against every car? You think everyone else has gone to zero wings? All I have left is one click on the front and rear, that's it, it's not a lot. I'll try it and see what happens but the cars are loose already.

Another thought, could traction control be the culprit? I have rather mild settings (clicker a long way to the right) but maybe that's impacting it as I cycle through the gears?

Front wing at 1 gives indeed more downforce than you might expect. A 1/1 setting is pretty imbalanced too IMO (too loose)
More balanced DF settings are 0/0 or 0/1, 1/4 and 2/8.
Try with 0/1 and you should be able to keep up on the straights.

hkraft300
19-09-2017, 23:49
. A 1/1 setting is pretty imbalanced too IMO (too loose)

This.
In GT cars, 1 click front wing > 1 click rear wing for downforce. If you do 1/1 wings you'll have more front df than rear, making the car loose.

More downforce = more drag.

Also at Road America you'll probably want the lowest (except McLaren) gear set for most gt3 cars.

And stay off the limiter. Shift on time.

Alfisti
20-09-2017, 15:17
Raced at Barcelona last night, had DF balanced at say 1/3rd of the way across the clickers, dog slow on straights, not even able to keep up in the tow.

Bealdor
20-09-2017, 15:21
Are you 100% sure that your pedals are properly calibrated?
Please check in telemetry HUD if you're applying full throttle.

hkraft300
20-09-2017, 15:49
Do you have damage on? A couple taps and the Aero damage can slow your car a lot.
Also, with visual damage + mech failure on, you can still lose HP with a decent tap.

Sampo
20-09-2017, 15:54
How about tyre pressures? Are they too low?

leaky
20-09-2017, 16:47
More than likely, they have set up their cars to have minimum camber angle and low downforce. (eg. McLaren Camber: 0.9 front and back; Downforce: 0 front, 2 rear). Low camber angle in pcars is essentially an exploit that was never really fixed during its development. Hope this helps.

cpcdem
21-09-2017, 00:47
^^^ that and closed radiator as well.

Alan Dallas
21-09-2017, 16:39
^^^ that and closed radiator as well.

Closed radiator does indeed make you have higher top end. But when you have Full Damage on you'll overheat and get slower.

hkraft300
21-09-2017, 23:36
Closed radiator does indeed make you have higher top end. But when you have Full Damage on you'll overheat and get slower.

You want to close the brake duct too, just enough so your brake temp doesn't go cover 650℃ in GT3 cars. Brakes get hottest at T6.