PDA

View Full Version : Anti-aliasing mostly ineffective, other solutions?

Pages : [1] 2

pyide_maybe
22-09-2017, 01:19
MSAA, FXAA, SMAA, all are pretty ripe with obvious and distracting aliasing on every setting in PCARS2. And I don't have enough power for high enough of Super Sampling for that to make a difference.

Would it be possible to add a TAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing) option in the near future, Slightly Mad Studios?

It's becoming more and more common and it works so much better than traditional AAs in motion, and driving games are all about motion. It's a post-process solution that goes way beyond what FXAA and SMAA can do, with the similar minimal performance hit. It also anti-aliases lots of things MSAA does not, like transparencies. The downside is the amount of full screen blurring it brings, but that can be countered some with a post-process sharpening option. Although at this point I'd take the the most severe post-TAA blur over all the jagged edges in an instant. Would love to have it as an option with the rest, would be incredible on so many tracks.

Please, if it's possible, try to make it happen!
Thanks!

Morgan Henstridge
22-09-2017, 01:22
What specs are your PC as that may help people suggest some settings to try.

pyide_maybe
22-09-2017, 01:32
Oh, thanks. But I've tried them all out already, not much to suggest when we've already been through the tedious work. Saves the ones wanting to help some time at least!

I'm just pleading to the devs for something that will probably never happen, and I posted here because I don't know where else to do it. Haha!

Aldo Zampatti
22-09-2017, 01:34
Normally I use SMAA and Super Sampling together.

SMAA low + No SS on LowEnd systems
SMAA low + SS Low on Low/mid ends
Medium + Medium on Mid-end
High + Medium on Higher ends systems.
etc...

poirqc
22-09-2017, 03:05
I may have the same problem as him. The game default to MSAA(don't remember) and this setting seems to work.

However, if i pick any FXAA settings, it doesn't seems to get applied. There's no AA afterwards.

Rebooted the game as asked. Installed the latest nVidia drivers.

I'll try to post Screeshots tomorow. In the mean time, here's my rig:

i5 2400, GTX 960, 24 GB RAM. No overclock.

Thanks,

Edit: Here it goes.

Aldo Zampatti
22-09-2017, 03:24
I may have the same problem as him. The game default to MSAA(don't remember) and this setting seems to work.

However, if i pick any FXAA settings, it doesn't seems to get applied. There's no AA afterwards.

Thanks,

FXAA only won't do a lot. Its more intended to "aid" the aliasing.
try combining FXAA (or SMAA, I like it better cost/benefit) with LOW Supersampling and give it a go

BigDad
22-09-2017, 03:49
I have got SMAA Ultra and Supersampling Low @ 4k along with everything else Ultra or high(max) and there is still a lot of distracting aliasing on cars and fences :( I've even tried using nVidia inspector but that seems to have no effect except on FPS .
4k ultra and Low supersampling is fine 60 FPS for all dry conditions but 45 fps in thunderstorms , pretty good and and Medium Supersampling dropped to 45 FPS in dry . If i was to drive in storms then i would consider lowering somethings because 45 FPS is ugly but i'll mostly drive in dry races for now anyway .
Now is there something SMS can bring to help with the distracting aliasing ?

pyide_maybe
22-09-2017, 04:00
FXAA is pretty crummy in general, but it will usually do something, even if that something is what looks like blurring the screen a bit. It still diminishes the obvious jaggies somewhat, but I'm not seeing any of that here. MSAA is the only thing that seems work at all for me outside of the heavy impacting Super Sampling, but it doesn't do a good enough job with everything and the performance hit is more than I'd like. I'll have to deal with that I guess.

I also wanted to share this classic example of MultiSample vs Temporal Anti-Aliasing, specifically showing the difference of transparencies in motion: http://gfycat.com/DetailedSoftEelelephant

The shimmering and stepping you get on everything, not just some edges, is diminished by a lot with temporal anti-aliasing compared to other methods. That example is from a game using the Nvidia specific post process temporal method called TXAA (AC4: Black Flag I believe, GTAV also supports it), but games like Fallout 4 and Battlefield 1 have their own post process TAA methods that works just as well, and on both AMD & Nvidia hardware. Would love to see something like that come to PCARS2.

Aldo Zampatti
22-09-2017, 04:26
I have got SMAA Ultra and Supersampling Low @ 4k along with everything else Ultra or high(max) and there is still a lot of distracting aliasing on cars and fences :( I've even tried using nVidia inspector but that seems to have no effect except on FPS .
4k ultra and Low supersampling is fine 60 FPS for all dry conditions but 45 fps in thunderstorms , pretty good and and Medium Supersampling dropped to 45 FPS in dry . If i was to drive in storms then i would consider lowering somethings because 45 FPS is ugly but i'll mostly drive in dry races for now anyway .
Now is there something SMS can bring to help with the distracting aliasing ?

Do you have every detail in ULTRA? High?

Try using EnvMap and Reflections in LOW and crank up the SuperSampling and SMAA (SMAA ULTRA and SuperSampling Medium) and see how it works.

BigDad
22-09-2017, 05:51
Do you have every detail in ULTRA? High?

Try using EnvMap and Reflections in LOW and crank up the SuperSampling and SMAA (SMAA ULTRA and SuperSampling Medium) and see how it works.

Yeah, everything at its maximum.
Okay i will try your suggestion next, thank you, im glad there might be other configurations, i just hope it improves the shimmer!

BigDad
22-09-2017, 08:28
:(
The only thing that comes close to removing all the shimmer on fences (eg. Long Beach)and on cars is putting supersampling to high (my PC crashes back to windows on ultra) but then my FPS is to low 35-40 .
I am now installing the latest driver and hoping for miracles .

Roger Prynne
22-09-2017, 10:16
Guys there is really no need to use 'Ultra' settings as this is generally only needed for quality screenshots.

Morgan Henstridge
22-09-2017, 10:39
Shadows, envmap, reflections, I am hard pressed to tell the difference between Ultra and Low, specially from the cockpit view.

The main thing you can notice is Shadows as the settings appear to only change the draw distance from what I can tell.

Bealdor
22-09-2017, 10:43
:(
The only thing that comes close to removing all the shimmer on fences (eg. Long Beach)and on cars is putting supersampling to high (my PC crashes back to windows on ultra) but then my FPS is to low 35-40 .
I am now installing the latest driver and hoping for miracles .

Have you tried DSR already?

BigDad
22-09-2017, 11:11
Have you tried DSR already?

I'm already at 3840x2160 !

Bealdor
22-09-2017, 11:22
You will not get rid of all fence shimmering because of the high draw distance combined with fences being very thin objects. It's simply not possible.

poirqc
22-09-2017, 12:10
FXAA only won't do a lot. Its more intended to "aid" the aliasing.
try combining FXAA (or SMAA, I like it better cost/benefit) with LOW Supersampling and give it a go

I understand that different AA technique gives different results. As you can see in the SS above, there's no AA at all.

On a side note, i tried SS and i get too high of a FPS hit. I'll try to compare to what i had in pCars 1 when i get home tonight.

Bealdor
22-09-2017, 12:16
I understand that different AA technique gives different results. As you can see in the SS above, there's no AA at all.

On a side note, i tried SS and i get too high of a FPS hit. I'll try to compare to what i had in pCars 1 when i get home tonight.

Post AA and MSAA are mutually exclusive.

BigDad
22-09-2017, 13:39
You will not get rid of all fence shimmering because of the high draw distance combined with fences being very thin objects. It's simply not possible.

This saddens me ! So far this is my only complaint . So far i've just had to settle on MSAA high ! Not the best but it is the best looking option IMO.

I've just been using my wheel tonight instead of my graphic testing with DS4 and i can tell you that the FFB is pretty awesome straight outta the box :) i just need to learn how to read the little FFB widget thingie (it looks like a pedal overlay) .

shiftee
22-09-2017, 14:05
ok I despise jaggies also, it reminds me I am playing a game and not actually out on the circuit. I tried all options last night, and the best for me was MSAA low + Supersampling ON (I am on 4k screen, so results may vary).

but I am not sure what the supersampling is for this setting. If MSAA is off, supersampling goes from LOW/MED/HIGH/ULTRA - which I assume is like using DSR 1.25x,1.5x,2x,etc (or might be 1.5x,2x,2.5x,etc I think)

When I used MSAA, only the LOW setting allows the supersampling slider to be used -- but it is now just a straight ON or OFF. is this supersampling only the MSAA solution, to help the MSAA be less blurry - or is it supersampling the whole image like DSR?

can anyone explain these setting dependencies?

one weird result is though I see some aliasing on the cars that is not there if I use MSAA ultra (like on the backs of the rookie formula cars). but cleaning up the track is way more important of an eyesore, so the trade off is worth it. I was testing on Red Bull as the fences, poles, and power lines all had excessive aliasing in the sun on the first turn - I realize now I will have to try long beach after work...

BigDad
22-09-2017, 14:29
ok I despise jaggies also, it reminds me I am playing a game and not actually out on the circuit. I tried all options last night, and the best for me was MSAA low + Supersampling ON (I am on 4k screen, so results may vary).

but I am not sure what the supersampling is for this setting. If MSAA is off, supersampling goes from LOW/MED/HIGH/ULTRA - which I assume is like using DSR 1.25x,1.5x,2x,etc (or might be 1.5x,2x,2.5x,etc I think)

When I used MSAA, only the LOW setting allows the supersampling slider to be used -- but it is now just a straight ON or OFF. is this supersampling only the MSAA solution, to help the MSAA be less blurry - or is it supersampling the whole image like DSR?

one weird result is though I see some aliasing on the cars that is not there if I use MSAA ultra (like on the backs of the rookie formula cars). but cleaning up the track is way more important of an eyesore, so the trade off is worth it. I was testing on Red Bull as the fences, poles, and power lines all had excessive aliasing in the sun on the first turn - I realize now I will have to try long beach after work...

I haven't tried RedBull but LongBeach is enough to realize the issue .
Other Sims have really bad shimmer on fences and also jaggies on white lines on track but using nVidia Inspector i can completely eradicate it and keep performance in check . I know this Sim is on another level but inspector has no affect at all .
Is there a way (SMS) to override the ingame AA by changing the graphic file in documents ? Say instead of only using SS ON while MSAA is Low maybe allow MSAA HIGH or something else perhaps ?

Campacci2k
22-09-2017, 19:41
One more vote to TAA filter.

Also I can't put in 1440p via DSR (it's active on driver).

Running at 1070 GTX, i7 4770K, 16 GB Ram.

Bealdor
22-09-2017, 19:43
One more vote to TAA filter.

Also I can't put in 1440p via DSR (it's active on driver).

Running at 1070 GTX, i7 4770K, 16 GB Ram.

Working fine here. Did you restart you PC after setting up DSR in the driver?

Campacci2k
22-09-2017, 19:49
Working fine here. Did you restart you PC after setting up DSR in the driver?

Yep.

In the game I can't change the resolution, only in Nvidia Inspector. And there I only get 4K or another resolution with width less than 1440 (I can not remember which, I'll confirm later).

My default res. is 1080p, and DRS is set to 1.78 and 4X factor.

AitchPattern
22-09-2017, 19:58
If DSR is enabled in NCP then you should be able to select higher resolutions in the game menu that take effect after a restart of the game. For example I run a monitor with native 3440x1440 but I run the 3rd resolution "up" from there at 59hz.

4yyy x 1920 at 59hz (I forget the exact resolution)

I'm currently using the following:

MSAA Medium
DSR 1.78
Forcing FXAA in NCP

However, I have also been testing
MSAA Low
SS On

As I believe that is the same as the old DS2M.
The AA in PCars 2 genuinely isn't as good as the AA in other games, including PCars 1 (which was the worst of all the other sims anyway) so I do feel the AA has taken a slight step back aesthetically, but has likely moved forward technically.

Forcing FXAA in the NCP did make a difference for me, I find it adds a little blur, but as I disable motion blur anyway, I'm willing to take the trade off.

In PCars 1 I used to run:
DSR 1.78
MSAA HIGH
DS2M
FXAA forced in NCP

And all that brute forced AA gave me a nice enough image, on par with other sims. While PCars 2 is already a cleNer looking game, it's proved harder to achieve the classic and distinctive PCars 1 look.

davidtriune
22-09-2017, 23:08

Thanks,

I have the same issues as you. No AA seems to do anything except MSAA. SS used to work yesterday, but not this morning probably due to a patch. I would set it to 2.0 and it runs at 60fps on my gtx970, although the jaggies are still there. I know this is impossible because it was stuttering like crazy on 2.0 yesterday.

Campacci2k
22-09-2017, 23:28
Allright, DSR works fine now. Mea culpa.

I rebooted the PC before, but today it worked.

davidtriune
23-09-2017, 00:51
I have the same issues as you. No AA seems to do anything except MSAA. SS used to work yesterday, but not this morning probably due to a patch. I would set it to 2.0 and it runs at 60fps on my gtx970, although the jaggies are still there. I know this is impossible because it was stuttering like crazy on 2.0 yesterday.

Forgot to mention that I'm running in VR. DSR seems to work when launched regularly but not in VR mode.

edit: ok SS works now, seems to need game restart after patch though it doesn't tell you that. before it would be instant. I spent awhile finding a good setting for gtx970 and I think I may have found one: set everything to medium and 1.5 SS / MSAA low. Or 2.0 SS and no MSAA though I like the former better. don't forget to restart.

BigDad
23-09-2017, 06:33
Alright i have my AA settings the best i can get after about 5hrs going back and forth ingame menu, NCP, N inspector, and finally came to the conclusion that for me @4k MSAA high with forced FXAA and MFAA is the best solution. Even LongBeach fences look okay.
Try it out and report back!

Coanda
23-09-2017, 06:37
try using nVidia DSR as well ;)

BigDad
23-09-2017, 07:09
try using nVidia DSR as well ;)

I havnt got much roon left in my GPU, doesn't matter now because i don't think it can look any better than this.
Maxed settings @ 4k plus forced FXAA and MFAA (NCP) with ingame MSAA High and still maintaining 60 FPS even in rain with 31 cars. Thunderstorm dropa occasionally to high 50's but jumps back to 60 pretty quick.
Now i can say im pretty amazed.

BigDad
24-09-2017, 11:30
Forgot to mention that I'm running in VR. DSR seems to work when launched regularly but not in VR mode.

edit: ok SS works now, seems to need game restart after patch though it doesn't tell you that. before it would be instant. I spent awhile finding a good setting for gtx970 and I think I may have found one: set everything to medium and 1.5 SS / MSAA low. Or 2.0 SS and no MSAA though I like the former better. don't forget to restart.

What is 1.5 or 2.0 SS (supersampling) but what is the 1.5, 2.0 part?

Gloomy
24-09-2017, 11:50

You're able to run ss that high with a 970?

Philm
24-09-2017, 15:53
What is the equivalent of DS9X under pcars1? All the options are ultra and there are always aliasing, it's not normal!

Rofas
03-10-2017, 18:37
What is the equivalent of DS9X under pcars1?

This is called SSAA Ultra in pcars 2.

cabelo3d
03-10-2017, 21:53
I can't get steady 90fps even it I use pretty much all in low and SS up to 1.1 in Oculus Rift with my rig (7700K, 32gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance,gtx1070).
I must be missing something then...:confused:

Aldo Zampatti
03-10-2017, 23:12
I can't get steady 90fps even it I use pretty much all in low and SS up to 1.1 in Oculus Rift with my rig (7700K, 32gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance,gtx1070).
I must be missing something then...:confused:

What's the details level on your config?

Try starting with everything in LOW and go upwards. I would start all LOW but CARS and TRACK in HIGH, and go from there

davidtriune
04-10-2017, 00:32
You're able to run ss that high with a 970?

yes for 1 car :biggrin-new: :biggrin-new: :biggrin-new: after i tried it for multiple cars, i found it sucked lol.

i'm now playing all med + no SS + hi msaa

poirqc
04-10-2017, 00:40
disabling all AA settings in pCars and manually applying them in driver cp also works.

Andrew_WOT
04-10-2017, 02:07

I have the same question, can anyone please clarify what Supersampling ON option with MSAA Low actually means.

Is that equivalent to DS2M from pCars1

There is one mixed mode which is DS2M. This combines 2xMSAA with DS2X. Sadly the although this does include downsampling, it doesn't reduce the flickering on shadows, in the same way that the pure DS?X modes do. It does introduce white dots on edges (as per the other MSAA modes), but to a lesser extend than MSAA (as it is only using 2xMSAA).

Tepp
04-10-2017, 02:16
It's interesting as most of the users what I've seen are not using Super Sampling at all. They prefer everything else on ultra. But I can't play it with such a shimmering! The only thing that helps is SS. But with my gtx1070 I can't go higher than "High" with all other details on low. Even then I have a bad shimmering on fences and lampposts. :( At the same time I'm very happy with 4xDSR in Assetto Corsa, except for the fonts which are too small in this mode. Seems that the AA in PC2 is not very effective.

Aldo Zampatti
04-10-2017, 02:18
You have levels of MultiSampling AntiAliasing (MSAA) and you can (as the configuration permits) mix them with Post Processing AA (PostAA) and/or SuperSampling.

MSAA is fairly straight forward and there are 3 levels (low/med/high) depending on the sampling amount.
PostAA there are two types FXAA and SMAA, normally those two are less power hungry but tend to blur images a bit.
SuperSampling there are Low/Med/High/Ultra levels (I'm going by memory here so I can hit or miss a setting) on where basically you have 2x/4x/6x/9x the amount of original pixels and then resizing the image to fit the current resolution providing, effectively, a good AA.

I, personally, use SuperSampling MED (4x) wich basically doubles the horizontal and doubles the vertical pixels (2x2=4x), so in a FullHD panel you'll get a "4k source" frame and then resized back to FullHD.

You can combine any level of SuperSampling AA (SSAA) with any PostAA if you want to manipulate the image even further.

You can also combine LOW MSAA with PostAA (If I recall correctly).

Every eye is different so you have to find whatever you think is the best compromise for you :)

poirqc
04-10-2017, 02:19
manualy enabling AA doesn't work after all, thru the NV cp... Maybe there's something on my side.

Aldo Zampatti
04-10-2017, 02:23
It's interesting as most of the users what I've seen are not using Super Sampling at all. They prefer everything else on ultra. But I can't play it with such a shimmering! The only thing that helps is SS. But with my gtx1070 I can't go higher than "High" with all other details on low. Even then I have a bad shimmering on fences and lampposts. :( At the same time I'm very happy with 4xDSR in Assetto Corsa, except for the fonts which are too small in this mode. Seems that the AA in PC2 is not very effective.

Try Supersampling in MED, Env Map in MED as well as Reflections. Every other setting in HIGH.

You should have a pretty good img quality with very good performance on your 1070. HIGH SSAA = 6x (4x horizontal x2 vertical IIRC) and starts to be too much. I use 4x.

Oomph
04-10-2017, 02:42
I removed a lot of the shimmering with the following.
Nvidia control panel, AF - application controlled., AA - override application 8x, vsync -on.
Launch option fps cap 62.8 as suggested somewhere on these forums,
In game, res usually at 1920x 1080, works pretty well at 2560x1440. MSAA on high, no post or super sampling.
Reflections on high, envy map on High, car details high, track details high, shadow on low, motion blur on off, detailed grass- off, particles low, particle density low. It doesn't dip below 60 whatever conditions. Looks pretty good and works well for me on a gtx970.

Aldo Zampatti
04-10-2017, 02:55
I removed a lot of the shimmering with the following.
Nvidia control panel, AF - application controlled., AA - override application 8x, vsync -on.
Launch option fps cap 62.8 as suggested somewhere on these forums,
In game, res usually at 1920x 1080, works pretty well at 2560x1440. MSAA on high, no post or super sampling.
Reflections on high, envy map on High, car details high, track details high, shadow on low, motion blur on off, detailed grass- off, particles low, particle density low. It doesn't dip below 60 whatever conditions. Looks pretty good and works well for me on a gtx970.

I would trade Reflections and Envmap on a lower setting for some detailed grass that looks very nice :) Personal taste of course

tpw
04-10-2017, 03:44
manualy enabling AA doesn't work after all, thru the NV cp... Maybe there's something on my side.
If you have all the in game AA settings off, then NV profile inspector or control panel AA settings won't work. If you set in game MSAA to low (or medium or high, it doesn't matter), then NV PI or NVCP AA settings will apply. At least this has been my experience.

Andrew_WOT
04-10-2017, 05:04
- MSAA Low + Supersampling ON - looks the best, but is the most taxing.
- Supersampling LOW + PP SMAA (from Low to Ultra) - all produce some blurriness and shimmering, small details lose clarity, esp at distance
- Supersampling LOW + PP off - looks the best on 4K. Good clarity and hardly if any jaggies. Guess at this resolution AA esp as bad as PP is pretty much redundant, perhaps more vital for lower pixel density.

bmanic
04-10-2017, 05:31
You guys are crazy picky.. I race at 1366x768 with everything set to low and no sort of AA at all. :p

wesker6664
04-10-2017, 07:48
Honestly most ULTRA settings are useless during gameplay. Keep only "track" (affects drawing distance) and "car" at ultra and you'll see no difference. I have the same card and happy with these settings :
resolution = 1920*1080
VSYNC = yes
MSAA = off
SMAA = low
Super sampling = high
Reflections high
Environment map (this is very taxing)= medium
Cars = ultra
Tracks = ultra
Shadows = high
Enhanced mirror = yes
Motion blur = off
Grass and particles settings = high

Install reshade, a bit of fxaa and you're good to go :cool:

BigDad
04-10-2017, 11:00
You guys are crazy picky.. I race at 1366x768 with everything set to low and no sort of AA at all. :p

To be fair you are playing on a 17" screen . I think rFactor would look okay at that size and res .

Silraed
04-10-2017, 11:18
I've settled on MSAA Medium personally for my hardware, it seems to offer the best overall consistent performance between tracks while still doing a fair job at removing jaggies and most importantly for me greatly reducing white line shimmer and "jumping".

It's not perfect though and I might go back and test all the options again down the road where I'm more familiar with the game but I'm fairly happy with what I settled with the constraints of my ageing GPU.

BigDad
04-10-2017, 12:05
I've now tested every option available to nVidia users and unfortunately the ingame options give the best results and to maintain 60 FPS with my set up MSAA High is the best performing and looking solution .

I've tries in game AA Low & SS Low and using nVidia Inspector (nV I) everything from Override to Enhance with SS x 8 x4 x2, Sparse Grid x8, x4 , x2 with 8 xQ Multisampling 4x and 2x .....Well you get the point , it went on and on like this until every option i could think of combining nV I with in game and nVidia Control Panel (nV CP) While some options did look better the FPS just where to low .

I even tried going back to 1080p and implementing some of the settings that look better at 4k to see if forcing this high of AA would result in 1080p looking better AA wise than 4k but with MSAA and 4k it is better than 1080p with SS Ultra or even 8x Spare Grid/ 8x Q Multisampling .

So now i'm settling with V-Sync on in game (Smoother than Adaptive V-Sync) with a 63 FPS cap and High / Ultra with MSAA High @ 4k and be done with it ! Atleast until/If SMS change the AA Solution !

bmanic
04-10-2017, 13:58
To be fair you are playing on a 17" screen . I think rFactor would look okay at that size and res .

Nope. I use an external display which is 24". :)

J4M35_R
04-10-2017, 14:28
I have also tried to get good AA but no luck. For me its mainly fencing, lamp posts and other cars, other than that it looks brilliant. I have tried adjusting my tv, everything in nvidia cp and every combo in game but have given up and just hoping for an improvement from an update.

All other games l play l have no problem btw.

Edit

AA is at its worst in sunny conditions for fences etc and the AA on cars at night time.

Tepp
04-10-2017, 15:00
hoping for an improvement from an update.

Here are some posts from PC1 forum:

21-05-2015, 18:56
"It seems very difficult to eliminate jaggies / crawlies in this game. Its inherently aliased for some reason. Even running MSAA with driver level downsampling (2560x1440 downsampled to 1920x1080) and 4x SGSSAA the image is good, but not great. Most other games would be sharp (clean) as a tack with these settings. I find that FXAA and SMAA are just plain bad with this engine (they are actually rarely ideal with any engine). They do little to smooth things out and actually just blur out the image. So you basically you have a aliased, blurry mess of an image"
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24236-Anti-Aliasing-Jaggie-removals&p=932073&viewfull=1#post932073

30-06-2015, 12:32
"I can't get decent anti aliasing performance out of pCars at all. Something isn't working correctly here. High +SMAA ultra still looks very jaggie and nowhere near as clean as say Dirt Rally with MSAAx4 or SpinTires. "
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24236-Anti-Aliasing-Jaggie-removals&p=1022997&viewfull=1#post1022997

17-11-2016, 13:08
"Totally agree!!! The game has very poor AA optimization in comparison to other top racing games (Codemasters for instance). Even on higher AA settings there is a bad flicker on distant objects. I cannot go lower than DS4X because the shadows start to flicker badly. And yes, I don't see any real difference with FXAA and SMAA (any level).
Tried pretty much everything, but still not happy !!! I'm giving up, hope they will do better with pCars 2."
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24236-Anti-Aliasing-Jaggie-removals&p=1313551&viewfull=1#post1313551

13-06-2015, 14:07
Ian Bell
CEO - SMS Group.
"Our engine is fully deferred at the moment. There are certain limitations on the effectiveness of AA that are pretty much impossible to work around with this sort of engine. We have done our very best though. Not much solace for you but we will be moving to a forward plus combo render later which is the upcoming cool kid on the block."
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30438-Anti-aliasing-problem&p=987806&viewfull=1#post987806

13-06-2015, 14:31
"Skywingull625: I didn't understand very well, the upcoming thing you are talking about may be a patch or something? I know that's not the priority, and I understand it, but when might this come? Just to get an idea
Ian Bell: No sorry, it'll be a complete render re-write. It might be a struggle to get it in for pCARS2 even."
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30438-Anti-aliasing-problem&p=987856&viewfull=1#post987856

You can wait forever, nothing will change while they are using this graphics engine.

Andrew_WOT
04-10-2017, 15:08
I've now tested every option available to nVidia users and unfortunately the ingame options give the best results and to maintain 60 FPS with my set up MSAA High is the best performing and looking solution .

I've tries in game AA Low & SS Low and using nVidia Inspector (nV I) everything from Override to Enhance with SS x 8 x4 x2, Sparse Grid x8, x4 , x2 with 8 xQ Multisampling 4x and 2x .....Well you get the point , it went on and on like this until every option i could think of combining nV I with in game and nVidia Control Panel (nV CP) While some options did look better the FPS just where to low .

I even tried going back to 1080p and implementing some of the settings that look better at 4k to see if forcing this high of AA would result in 1080p looking better AA wise than 4k but with MSAA and 4k it is better than 1080p with SS Ultra or even 8x Spare Grid/ 8x Q Multisampling .

So now i'm settling with V-Sync on in game (Smoother than Adaptive V-Sync) with a 63 FPS cap and High / Ultra with MSAA High @ 4k and be done with it ! Atleast until/If SMS change the AA Solution !

I am fairly sure that command line fpscap parameter effectively disables in game VSync

And yes, MSAA even at Ultra really doesn't make game the justice. Turn it off and use Supersampling, much better and cleaner results, not that blurry eyesore.

Stocky
04-10-2017, 15:15
I'd be happy if PC2 graphics, at least matched up to PC1 graphics.

There seems to be a lot of posts about graphics, MSAA, Shading, Texture quality/filtering, shadows, pixelated at a slight distance, clarity, etc, especially from the VR community. Probably because the imperfections are much more noticeable in VR, than on a monitor.

If you read all those threads, both VR & non VR, they seem to all have the same problems in common with graphics, and not tied to VR only.

I upgraded from a 970 to a 1080, set all my settings exactly like I had in PC1, and although my fps is now fantastic, the graphics look more jagged, and exponentially worse as the distance increases, as compared to PC1.

Campacci2k
04-10-2017, 17:45
For me, the only major problem of PC2 is the AA option hah.

TAA looks great as option.

pyide_maybe
04-10-2017, 18:59
You can wait forever, nothing will change while they are using this graphics engine.

Temporal Anti-aliasing is a post-process AA solution (like FXAA & SMAA) that game engines using deferred rendering can rely on to better eliminate edge shimmering, especially in motion and on transparencies where traditional AA methods fail.
Most of those posts you linked back from the PCARS one era were before it become more common of an AA implementation as well. I really hope they consider adding it, along with a post process sharpening option to counter balance the blur.
Very minimal performance hit for the benefits it can provide.

Rofas
04-10-2017, 19:36
Is that equivalent to DS2M from pCars1

Yes it is exactly the same.

McErono
04-10-2017, 20:07
TAA please and a fix for supersampling on triplescreens.

Philm
04-10-2017, 22:04
up !!!

Andrew_WOT
04-10-2017, 23:03
up !!!
Up?
If that wasn't fixed moving from pCars1 to pCars2, what are the chances to get it fixed in the patch. Adding new aliasing type is not a small feat. May be in pCars3, if this going to happen.
I think it's better just to learn how to get the best out of what is available.
There are some good pointers in this thread:
- MSAA Low + Supersampling ON (probably the best IQ but could be taxing)
- MSAA Off + Supesampling (Low to Ultra, whatever your system can handle). Great clarity, works perfect on high pixel density (4k) monitors.
- MSAA Off + Supersampling + SMAA (Low to Ultra). Can add some blur but eliminates jaggies on lower resolution monitors.

PS.
And check this if you have in turns camera panning stuttering
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51812-Stutter-Fix&highlight=stutter

BigDad
05-10-2017, 00:17
I am fairly sure that command line fpscap parameter effectively disables in game VSync

And yes, MSAA even at Ultra really doesn't make game the justice. Turn it off and use Supersampling, much better and cleaner results, not that blurry eyesore.

I actually found RivaTuner cap more effective than the command line!
SS is better but i need to sacrifice other visuals down to low to get 60fps in storms with it but MSAA High can maintain 60 in storms @4k!

Andrew_WOT
05-10-2017, 00:55
I actually found RivaTuner cap more effective than the command line!
SS is better but i need to sacrifice other visuals down to low to get 60fps in storms with it but MSAA High can maintain 60 in storms @4k!
Just kill all AA, MSAA and any PP, leave just SS on low. Command line and Nvidia Inspector cap worked the same for me. Didn't try rivatuner, but at 62.8 it is as good as it gets already.

BigDad
05-10-2017, 02:57
Just kill all AA, MSAA and any PP, leave just SS on low. Command line and Nvidia Inspector cap worked the same for me. Didn't try rivatuner, but at 62.8 it is as good as it gets already.

So what exactly do you put in the command line for 62.8?

BigDad
05-10-2017, 03:15

All the way to SS Medium , even MSAA Low and SS On looks worse than MSAA High. I've tested all possibilities now and for me on my 55" screen MSAA it is.

Oomph
05-10-2017, 03:44
So what exactly do you put in the command line for 62.8?

steam , game properties,

BigDad
05-10-2017, 04:28
steam , game properties,

I did that, now ingame v-sync doesn't work but i used nVidia inspector cap at 65 and that worked just as well as Rivatuner at 63. Couldn't get decimals in Inspector?

Andrew_WOT
05-10-2017, 04:32
All the way to SS Medium , even MSAA Low and SS On looks worse than MSAA High. I've tested all possibilities now and for me on my 55" screen MSAA it is.

Pixel density and screen sharpening play big role. I am on 42" 4K, all extra sharpening off.
And of course personal preference, I just can't tolerate blurry textured and loss of details, but some may prefer more cinema like fuzzy presentation.

Surprised though that you liked MSAA alone over MSAA Low + SS (SuperSampling) ON as it seems to be providing the best of both worlds.

Andrew_WOT
05-10-2017, 04:37
I did that, now ingame v-sync doesn't work but i used nVidia inspector cap at 65 and that worked just as well as Rivatuner at 63. Couldn't get decimals in Inspector?

I posted that before, in game Vsync gets disabled with fpscap param, this is why you need to use external VSync. You are on TV (HDMI I would guess), perhaps it can't detect all available refresh rates for that display.

Anyway, we deviate from this thread topic, here's the link to the stutter/fpscap thread http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51812-Stutter-Fix&highlight=stutter

BigDad
05-10-2017, 10:59
Pixel density and screen sharpening play big role. I am on 42" 4K, all extra sharpening off.
And of course personal preference, I just can't tolerate blurry textured and loss of details, but some may prefer more cinema like fuzzy presentation.

Surprised though that you liked MSAA alone over MSAA Low + SS (SuperSampling) ON as it seems to be providing the best of both worlds.

MSAA Low + SS On still has heaps of shimmer compared to MSAA High on my screen . If i can be bothered redoing the whole thing again i might make a YT Vid but as it is there is just nothing bar say Volta or another 1080 Ti that can improve on what it is now . SS Ultra does look fantastic @ 4k but i can't play at 35-40 FPS ,lol

I'm not sure what you mean by not getting all my display refresh rates ? My Sony KD55X8500C does 1080p 60 , everything in between @ 30 and 4k @ 60 Hz . Sometimes i consider getting a Ultra wide but seeing as my PC is a HTPC and my CSWv2 is on a stand that comes out every night for laps i need to wait till i buy another house with more rooms and anyway i can't see gaming on anything smaller that my 55" until i get that media room and some 4k triples and a even more beastly PC ...but then i'm gonna need a DD wheel ....mmmm what bank to rob next ! lol

Roger Prynne
05-10-2017, 11:55
The bank of BigDad :wink-new:

BigDad
05-10-2017, 12:19
The bank of BigDad :wink-new:

My Wife cleaned that out already ! :beaten:

BigDad
05-10-2017, 13:16
Just fired up a different Sim that i haven't played in a while because i heard some big updates have happened and was pleasantly surprised to see some very high AA settings added to the config options via updates . So it is possible to get these AA settings via updates mind you it is on a older but similar engine .

BigDad
06-10-2017, 13:10
Sorry to keep harping on about it but BattleFront 2 Beta just released and it uses FXAA and TAA and the later TAA looks great and doesn't seem to demanding compared to FXAA .
4k full Ultra and TAA getting 75-90 FPS and some of those settings do not need to be on Ultra .
Just saying !

Campacci2k
06-10-2017, 13:23
TAA is life. :cool:

BigDad
06-10-2017, 14:18
TAA is life. :cool:

Not sure about that but it is good !

F1Aussie
07-10-2017, 13:29
Not in f1 2017 it is good Taa is rubbish in that, the user base has been highly critical of it

Andrew_WOT
08-10-2017, 02:01
MSAA Low + SS On still has heaps of shimmer compared to MSAA High on my screenl
After playing more with all combos, I must agree. It does seem like MSAA Low + SS On produces some shimmering and flickering.
Noticeable in replays when you look at radiator grills and shadows.
So far the best combo I've found is
SS Low + SMAA Med (PP AA) with -fpscap 62.8 command line, VSync off in game and Adaptive in Nvidia driver.

Almost, almost perfect. :cool:

BigDad
08-10-2017, 02:02
After playing more with all combos, I must agree. It does seem like MSAA Low + SS On produces some shimmering and flickering.
Noticeable in replays when you look at radiator grills and shadows.
So far the best combo I've found is
SS Low + SMAA Med (PP AA) with -fpscap 62.8 command line, VSync off in game and Adaptive in Nvidia driver.

Almost, almost perfect. :cool:

What resolution are you at ? Because at 4k my 1080Ti cant do Medium SS and maintain 60 FPS .
Edit : read it wrong SS Low + SMAA Med ! I'll retest later tonight , after F1 !

Andrew_WOT
08-10-2017, 02:35
What resolution are you at ? Because at 4k my 1080Ti cant do Medium SS and maintain 60 FPS .
Edit : read it wrong SS Low + SMAA Med ! I'll retest later tonight , after F1 !
4k, this is slightly OCed water cooled 1080Ti. (EVGA FTW3 Hybrid)
Rest Ultra/High and 16xAF
I wish I could get AC clarity though at med to far distance. :(

shiftee
08-10-2017, 12:36
at 4k, all I needed was some MSAA to completely get rid of AA in Pcars 1. I wonder what changed with the engine, now I can't get rid of them all on every track no matter what combo I use. MSAA Low w/SS ON gets rid of all pole and fence AA...but see some irritating shimmering elsewhere....while MSAA Ultra gets rid of shimmering, but AA is everywhere on poles and fences. I will try SS Low with SMAA Med...last time I tried SMAA it did not seem to work at all, but maybe I did not combine it with SS correctly...

BigDad
08-10-2017, 14:41
Nope no good with your Low SS and Med SMAA but...
Medium MSAA with nVidia Control Panel
AA 4x
SS 8x
Enhance application
and enable Transparency Multisampling (nVidia inspector) and it's better than what i thought was best in MSAA High .
Not sure what changed but the control panel settings worked for me tonight and the fence shimmer around Long Beach is nearly gone even the rears of cars looks a bit better .
This is it for me , you wont hear another peep out of me , stick a fork in me , i'm done .....

Hopefully .

O-NO
08-10-2017, 14:58
I've been using;
Super Sampling - Low
All game settings either Ultra & High.

Nvidia Control Panel;
Enhance Application 8x
Supersample 8x

Not sure if it's the right way to do things but it's the best I've got it looking with good fps @2560x1440.

Andrew_WOT
08-10-2017, 17:25
Nope no good with your Low SS and Med SMAA but...
Medium MSAA with nVidia Control Panel
AA 4x
SS 8x
Enhance application
and enable Transparency Multisampling (nVidia inspector) and it's better than what i thought was best in MSAA High .
Not sure what changed but the control panel settings worked for me tonight and the fence shimmer around Long Beach is nearly gone even the rears of cars looks a bit better .
This is it for me , you wont hear another peep out of me , stick a fork in me , i'm done .....

Hopefully .
Can you please post some Nvidia and in game settings screenshots, not quite sure what you have done there.
Thanks buddy.

Andrew_WOT
08-10-2017, 19:11
Out of desperation tried FXAA instead of SMAA. Huge surprise, it's actually not fuzzy at all and produces much cleaner results than artifacting SMAA. Literally could not believe my eyes, checked and rechecked, even put glasses on. Yay! :D

Andrew_WOT
08-10-2017, 19:16
Someone mentioned that in some implementations like in Arma for instance, FXAA uses sharpening filter and in fact looks sharper than SMAA, wondering if this is the case with pCars2?
As it definitely looks crystal sharp to my eyes.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2fcgne/fxaa_vs_smaa/

Andrew_WOT
08-10-2017, 21:30
One more evidence on why FXAA could be better
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?48353-What-anti-aliasing-do-you-use&p=1298714&viewfull=1#post1298714

Try using FXAA on LOW instead. SMAA will cause some pixel crawling (which will give you that flickering).

BigDad
08-10-2017, 22:43
Can you please post some Nvidia and in game settings screenshots, not quite sure what you have done there.
Thanks buddy.

I took video to remember my settings, these are screens from that, lol

Sorry for the orientation !

Andrew_WOT
08-10-2017, 23:17
I am pretty sure that the only ones that actually in effect are Antialiasing Transparency and fps limit.
Try SS + FXAA.

jimortality
08-10-2017, 23:37
I took video to remember my settings, these are screens from that, lol

Sorry for the orientation !

Can you turn them round please

BigDad
09-10-2017, 00:49

Nope ! Sorry .

BigDad
09-10-2017, 00:57
I am pretty sure that the only ones that actually in effect are Antialiasing Transparency and fps limit.
Try SS + FXAA.

I tried SS + FXAA and it killed my FPS ??
As for only some being in effect , your probably right and its just i've been jumping in and out of menus and screens that im just seeing what i want to see ,lol but in any case its working as best as can be ATM and when i tested your SS + FXAA i still had CP and Insp settings On so that may have impacted the FPS ??
Im over playing with AA setting that should have just work out of the box but don't and i want to start RACING ! So im leaving it as is until if/when SMS do a AA update or someone finds a cure. Doubt it will happen .

Andrew_WOT
09-10-2017, 01:08
FXAA is the least expensive AA mode. It's probably mainly SS that kills your FPS.
I was quite surprised how sharp and artifact free FXAA looks, to be honest. Almost, if not the same as SS alone but without jaggies. Seems like SMAA is only good on paper, at least in pCars case (v1 or v2), pixel crawling with shimmering kills all the benefits.

jimortality
09-10-2017, 02:27
Nope ! Sorry .

You've got msaa on medium

BigDad
09-10-2017, 02:52
You've got msaa on medium

Yeah, High would be better but @4k with current settings FPS dropped below 60 and dropping to medium made only tiny difference in visuals but now 60 FPS solid again.

jimortality
09-10-2017, 06:54
Yeah, High would be better but @4k with current settings FPS dropped below 60 and dropping to medium made only tiny difference in visuals but now 60 FPS solid again.

But I thought you said fxaa was the best one. I'm confused.

BigDad
09-10-2017, 08:04
But I thought you said fxaa was the best one. I'm confused.

That wasn't me that was @Andrew WOT !

Greg Redd
09-10-2017, 08:34

Nope ! Sorry .

But only cos I'm in a good mood... :)

jimortality
09-10-2017, 09:29
But only cos I'm in a good mood... :)

Thanks, very kind of you.

BigDad
09-10-2017, 11:21
Thank You @Greg Redd , I uploaded from my phone and have no idea what im doing ,lol

BigDad
11-10-2017, 13:46
I'm a glutton for punishement ,lol
I had to try more testing with this blastartd AA settings and got to thinking about the graphicsconfig file in Documents and i opened it with notepad and changed the SMAA/FXAA setting to 3 from 0 because i have MSAA at 2 (Withh MSAA On FXAA and SMAA must be Off) and to my suprise now in game i have MSAA Medium and FXAA High !
Would you mind testing this and tell me what you think ? I'm blinded by obsession lol i cant tell if its active like this or i'm just mad !

Bealdor
11-10-2017, 13:49
I'm a glutton for punishement ,lol
I had to try more testing with this blastartd AA settings and got to thinking about the graphicsconfig file in Documents and i opened it with notepad and changed the SMAA/FXAA setting to 3 from 0 because i have MSAA at 2 (Withh MSAA On FXAA and SMAA must be Off) and to my suprise now in game i have MSAA Medium and FXAA High !
Would you mind testing this and tell me what you think ? I'm blinded by obsession lol i cant tell if its active like this or i'm just mad !

This still won't make it work together though. ;)
All you did was breaking the UI.

BigDad
11-10-2017, 13:51
This still won't make it work together though. ;)
All you did was breaking the UI.

lol , really ? Broken as in just showing the wrong info and just clicking to return to unbroken ?

Bealdor
11-10-2017, 13:53
lol , really ? Broken as in just showing the wrong info and just clicking to return to unbroken ?

Correct.

TDlight17
13-10-2017, 08:00
Ok my first post here. I took a different approach and was able to reduce the aliasing significantly by setting
Texture Resolution to Medium (Yes, Medium!) and MSAA Low and using FXAA on Nvidia Inspector.
No Super Sampling/ DSR or other post AA. California Highway now looks supersmooth and gorgeous as pCars1 !!!
I'm using midrange PC with GTX960 32inch 1080p TV and here are my settings.

NVIDIA Inspector Settings:
Toggle FXAA on or off: On

pCars2 Performance Settings:
Resolution: 1920x1080 59Hz
Windowed:No
Texture resolution: Medium
Texture Filtering: Anisotropic 16x
V-Sync: No
MSAA: Low
Post AA: Off
Super Sampling: Off
Reflections: Low
Environment Map: Low
Car Detail: High
Track Detail: High
Pit Crew Detail: All
Shadow Detail: Low
Enhanced Mirror: No
Motion Blur: Off
Render Frames Ahead: 3
Detailed Grass: Off
Particle Level: Low
Particle Density: Low

I'm also using Adaptive Vsync and -fpscap 62.8.
It works well on FHD, but not sure on 4K and some tracks (Long Beach, Silverstone, Imola, etc) still has some shimmering.

Hope this will help some people who are struggling. Not everyone has a high end gaming rig.

Francisnf
13-10-2017, 08:12
On my gtx1080 i have pretty much zero issues with shimmering on the fences or anything else using these settings...

High MSAA
Resolution at 1440p (downsampled to my 1080p screen using the Nvidia control panel thing)
FXAA turned on in Nvidia control panel

sherpa25
13-10-2017, 23:35
On my gtx1080 i have pretty much zero issues with shimmering on the fences or anything else using these settings...

High MSAA
Resolution at 1440p (downsampled to my 1080p screen using the Nvidia control panel thing)
FXAA turned on in Nvidia control panel

Yeah, MSAA seems to be the only parameter that greatly reduces shimmering, but unfortunately taxes the system so much. Medium appears to be the minimum for quality. Tried FXAA on too but still lots of Shadow shimmering.

BigDad
14-10-2017, 12:16
Yeah, MSAA seems to be the only parameter that greatly reduces shimmering, but unfortunately taxes the system so much. Medium appears to be the minimum for quality. Tried FXAA on too but still lots of Shadow shimmering.

Even at High there is still a lot of Shimmer :( But yes performance hit is just a bit too much !

jimortality
14-10-2017, 12:19
Even at High there is still a lot of Shimmer :( But yes performance hit is just a bit too much !

I don't understand, you have the most powerful graphics card on the market with a decent processor why are you struggling

sherpa25
14-10-2017, 12:25
I don't understand, you have the most powerful graphics card on the market with a decent processor why are you struggling

Not a surprise to me, as there are many with this GPU that can't max settings. Obviously though it can handle better settings than the lower GPU's, albeit still not enough.

jimortality
14-10-2017, 12:31
Not a surprise to me, as there are many with this GPU that can't max settings. Obviously though it can handle better settings than the lower GPU's, albeit still not enough.

Yes but this has 30% more power than my 1080 and yes I get a little shimmering but nothing to spoil the game and mostly it looks fantastic.

ELAhrairah
14-10-2017, 12:42

My theory is that SMS is not a very big studio compared to the big corporate boys who have hundreds of personnel alone working on graphics optimization. So that is why I am not too harsh on them, they really had to make decisions. Especially because they had to go with the consoles too. Bringing this game out for the PC market only would have giving them far less capacity to put all the wonderful things in the game that they did. I am almost 100 % sure we would have been looking at a stripped down race sim for GT3 cars only and probably without a unique weather system or sophisticated tire model and far fewer tracks.
But there is hope.
One of the biggest talents of SMS is the continuation they show in improving the game.
Just take a look at how much Pcars1 was improved. I believe you could wallpaper an entire room with all the patch notes they eventually had for that game.
One thing I found a bit dissapointing with the graphics is the sky. Compared to Pcars1 the sky in Pcars2 looks fake and there is something wrong with the texture. When you sit close to the screen you see how grainy the sky actually looks and that isn’t very pretty. I hope they fix that if they can. Has anyone else seen this? Its especially noticable during dusk or dawn.

BigDad
14-10-2017, 13:56

Because 4K Ultra is a struggle for a 1080 Ti ! Only SMS Know if more optimisation will help further !
I CAN Max the game out and get a solid 60FPS with MSAA High IN THE DRY / DAY but have to compromise settings to Ultra/High and reduce MSAA to Medium in STORMS / NIGHT otherwise its 45FPS and SS is a definite no go even with "the most powerful graphics card" :(

BigDad
14-10-2017, 14:03
Yes but this has 30% more power than my 1080 and yes I get a little shimmering but nothing to spoil the game and mostly it looks fantastic.

Are you playing on the monitor in your Sig ?
If so thats 27" is it not ?
I play on a 55" 4k TV and sit about 55"away so all shimmering stands out like dogs balls .

Did you see the vids i posted ? looking at the time stamp i posted and tell me you cant see shimmering .
I could do more vids with cars that shimmer a lot more but SMS know of the shimmer and have made a statement already so i dont see the point.

If you cant see , it half your luck , but it hasn't got anything to do with the graphics card ,lol more eye sight and screen size .

But here's a pic that anyone can see ! The part i circled and even the rear wing ! when you have a full grid doing this it looks a little distracting , so much so i wont do races like this .

Also , its clearly an issue that a lot of player have because this thread has views that are amongst the highest other that FFB , Bugs and Wish lists , lol

koly
14-10-2017, 15:35
I have 1080ti and play 4K ultra MSAA high SSx8 =60fps wet dry sun, for thundestorm or rain and night we have to use 1080TI SLI for 60FPS :)

Andrew_WOT
14-10-2017, 16:05
Getting perfect graphics settings in pCares is the same as getting perfect FFB. or capturing unicorn :)
I have settled for SS Low + FXAA High for the former and Jack Spade's Alt Low Comp DD for the latter.

jimortality
14-10-2017, 16:15
I'm on fxaa on in nvcp and msaa high in game and it looks pretty alright to me.

adysoft
14-10-2017, 18:43
I think everyone has a different opinion on what is "ok" for anti-aliasing.

I just took a few comparison screenshots between Project Cars 2 and Forza 7 comparing how anti-aliasing affect both games.
I hope people won't be mad at me for posting Forza's screenshots here, but it's only to showcase the fact that MSAA doesn't seem to have a large impact on PC2, while in Forza it makes quite a difference.

Project cars

No AA -> Max MSAA
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120675
(I don't really see a difference, do you?)

No AA -> Super sampling
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120676
(slightly better, but still a lot of jaggies)

No AA -> Super sampling + DSR x2
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120677
(This is the kind of anti-aliasing I am ok with but it comes at a terrible price...)

Forza

No AA -> MSAA 8x
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120678
(This is the kind of anti-aliasing I am ok with)

No AA -> 200% Resolution scale
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120679
(Nice but overkill since there is barely a difference with MSAA 8x)

Forza vs Project Cars

No AA -> No AA
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120681

Max MSAA vs Max MSAA
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120682

MSAA + DSR 2x vs MSAA + 200% resolution scale
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120683

Edit:
I took these screenshots on a 3440 x 1440 monitor, so to make sure everyone could look at them properly, i scaled them back for a 16:9 1080p monitor.
Original shots can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/81400585@N04/albums/72157687067679701

Zeiss
14-10-2017, 20:12
I get fairly good results from running DSR at 1.78x - 30% smoothness (1440p), medium MSAA, LOD on clamp (seems to reduce aliasing when screen is moving, but blurs the image slightly). I run this with medium to ultra settings at 85 fps on my 1070 gtx. Higher refresh rate also seems to 'clean up' the overall image as well.

adysoft
14-10-2017, 20:24
I get fairly good results from running DSR at 1.78x - 30% smoothness (1440p), medium MSAA, LOD on clamp (seems to reduce aliasing when screen is moving, but blurs the image slightly). I run this with medium to ultra settings at 85 fps on my 1070 gtx. Higher refresh rate also seems to 'clean up' the overall image as well.

Would you mind sharing a screenshot with those settings?

Zeiss
14-10-2017, 20:25
Would you mind sharing a screenshot with those settings?

At work atm. But I will after i get home if I can/

adysoft
14-10-2017, 20:26
At work atm. But I will after i get home if I can/

Thanks!

Andrew_WOT
14-10-2017, 21:50
Did any of you guys experiment with enabling MFAA in NVidia CPL?

Andrew_WOT
14-10-2017, 22:18
Am I losing my mind or sight :), but MSAA looks tons better after patch, much better than SS + whatever PP AA.
Was it part of those "and myriad other improvement" on release notes?
Tested and retested, definitely better than SS now.

O-NO
14-10-2017, 22:26
I've been using MSAA High plus trying different settings in the Nvidia CP and Nvidia Inspector.

Rofas
14-10-2017, 22:56
MSAA isn't as good as it could be and isn't as good as in pcars1 because of the partially missing TrSSAA support on foliage. But even with TrSSAA it won't help for the shadows shimmering and shader aliasing. Many games support some sort of temporal SSAA therefore.

CruisingUSA
14-10-2017, 23:40
The shadows flickering are truly distracting, I'm curious how other titles are able to have perfect shadows yet PCars have such distracting shadows.

I actually think the game looks better with shadows completely turned off when using MSAA as the missing shadows is less horrific than the mess on screen when they are on. It's a shame as static screen shots look great, but in motion those shadows are a horrific janky mess, and that's being reserved and polite.

koly
14-10-2017, 23:42
The shadows flickering are truly distracting, I'm curious how other titles are able to have perfect shadows yet PCars have such distracting shadows.

I actually think the game looks better with shadows completely turned off when using MSAA as the missing shadows is less horrific than the mess on screen when they are on. It's a shame as static screen shots look great, but in motion those shadows are a horrific janky mess, and that's being reserved and polite.

i think the same, maybe they had to work better before thinking release a game :)

Andrew_WOT
15-10-2017, 00:17
Did any of you guys experiment with enabling MFAA in NVidia CPL?

Hmm, I think it actually works.
Use MSAA in game and turn MFAA in NVidia CPL. You need to be on Maxwell or later GPU.

BigDad
15-10-2017, 00:35
I've been enabling everything in everything, control panel /inspector and MSAA High in game. I cant handle all the flickering and shimmering of this game!
I've been looking past the shadows shimmer because i became used to it in AC but the poles and fences plus the rear of other cars is just doing my head in, along with many other people it seems (not all Obviously).
There's another option in Inspector i turned on laat night (cant remember it's name) Anti Aliasing line or pole or something (im away from PC atm) but i think it helped also.
But the aliasing problem is track specific, some tracks its there but not to much an issue and others are terrible but just about all the rear of all cars suck at night.
Please find a solution!

EDIT: "Line Gamma" in nVidia Inspector is what it was that i couldn't remember the name of !

BigDad
15-10-2017, 00:42

I saw a YouTube video before release and the person stated it was Ultra settings and i disputed that because the shadows where all jagged and looked really low resolution, but it turns out it could have been Ultra or Low because the incar (cockpit) shadows look shocking bad for a 2017 title trying to compete with rF2 or AC, only AMS has worse in car (cockpit) shadows! Because it has none.

BigDad
15-10-2017, 00:50
I think everyone has a different opinion on what is "ok" for anti-aliasing.

I just took a few comparison screenshots between Project Cars 2 and Forza 7 comparing how anti-aliasing affect both games.
I hope people won't be mad at me for posting Forza's screenshots here, but it's only to showcase the fact that MSAA doesn't seem to have a large impact on PC2, while in Forza it makes quite a difference.

Project cars

No AA -> Max MSAA
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120675
(I don't really see a difference, do you?)

No AA -> Super sampling
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120676
(slightly better, but still a lot of jaggies)

No AA -> Super sampling + DSR x2
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120677
(This is the kind of anti-aliasing I am ok with but it comes at a terrible price...)

Forza

No AA -> MSAA 8x

No AA -> 200% Resolution scale
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120679
(Nice but overkill since there is barely a difference with MSAA 8x)

Forza vs Project Cars

No AA -> No AA
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120681

Max MSAA vs Max MSAA
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120682

MSAA + DSR 2x vs MSAA + 200% resolution scale
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120683

Edit:
I took these screenshots on a 3440 x 1440 monitor, so to make sure everyone could look at them properly, i scaled them back for a 16:9 1080p monitor.
Original shots can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/81400585@N04/albums/72157687067679701

How do you set up 200% resolution scale?
Can i use DSR if i play @4k on a 4k screen? If i select all options for DSR in nVCP nothing changes ingame? I thought i would have more resolution options ingame but i get nothing but the same as before DSR!

Roger Prynne
15-10-2017, 01:07
For gods sake guys just play the game :rolleyes:

adysoft
15-10-2017, 02:34
How do you set up 200% resolution scale?
Can i use DSR if i play @4k on a 4k screen? If i select all options for DSR in nVCP nothing changes ingame? I thought i would have more resolution options ingame but i get nothing but the same as before DSR!

In addition to enabling DSR, you have to tick / enable each scale factor.

http://i.imgur.com/EieHpYS.png

Only then will you have access to higher resolutions in game.

Andrew_WOT
15-10-2017, 02:46
We will, not sure that this one though.
Always a pleasure to see developer taking his customers seriously.

adysoft
15-10-2017, 02:54

Hey Roger, believe me, I enjoy the game quite a bit!

That being said, I still remember the first time I heard about Project Cars, the screenshots were AMAZING, it looked so real! That's what caught my attention.
I feel bad for saying this, but I am a sucker for pretty games :-)

I spent $1200 on a Titan X Pascal and $3500 on a 4K HDR TV exclusively for gaming, I hope that shows how much I care about graphics in games.

So when I see so much aliasing, I can't help but thinking there must be some way to decrease it.

Aldo Zampatti
15-10-2017, 03:27
No AA -> MSAA 8x

Is it just me or Forza ALWAYS applies AA to the car, but not no the whole scene?

BigDad
15-10-2017, 04:29
In addition to enabling DSR, you have to tick / enable each scale factor.

http://i.imgur.com/EieHpYS.png

Only then will you have access to higher resolutions in game.

I have done that but nothing changes in game! Does DSR work if you are already at 4k?

BigDad
15-10-2017, 04:31
Hey Roger, believe me, I enjoy the game quite a bit!

That being said, I still remember the first time I heard about Project Cars, the screenshots were AMAZING, it looked so real! That's what caught my attention.
I feel bad for saying this, but I am a sucker for pretty games :-)

I spent $1200 on a Titan X Pascal and $3500 on a 4K HDR TV exclusively for gaming, I hope that shows how much I care about graphics in games.

So when I see so much aliasing, I can't help but thinking there must be some way to decrease it.

This is me also except 1080Ti instead of Titan X P!

Andrew_WOT
15-10-2017, 04:38
I have done that but nothing changes in game! Does DSR work if you are already at 4k?
After that you should see higher resolutions available in game that you can choose. :)

Anybody else tried MFAA, hope I am not a placebo victim but it looks goddamn good at least on Barcelona.

BigDad
15-10-2017, 04:48
After that you should see higher resolutions available in game that you can choose. :)

Anybody else tried MFAA, hope I am not a placebo victim but it looks goddamn good at least on Barcelona.

But i dont think DSR works @4k! Are you able to actually try it?
Yeah i use MFAA but im not sure anything in nVCP actually works, i find LongBeach to have the worst aliasing of all for testing.

Aldo Zampatti
15-10-2017, 04:56
Yeah i use MFAA but im not sure anything in nVCP actually works, i find LongBeach to have the worst aliasing of all for testing.
My 4k panel (laptop) won't show DSR while if I connect the monitor (21:9 FHD) it will. I though It was a external monitor issue, but now that you mention, it might be the 4k thingy

Andrew_WOT
15-10-2017, 05:15

Yes, yes,and yes. At least on DP (display port). But I got more shimmering than with in game SS.
Select MSAA High in game and MFAA in NVCPL. I'll try Long Beach, so far everything I've tired, including night driving in thunderstorm is aliasing artifact free.

BigDad
15-10-2017, 05:19
My 4k panel (laptop) won't show DSR while if I connect the monitor (21:9 FHD) it will. I though It was a external monitor issue, but now that you mention, it might be the 4k thingy

:( yeah, i get no change anywhere from ticking all the DSR boxes! The only hope i guess is SMS.
I feel nVCP does nothing for pC2 and wonder if it has been stooped somehow from SMS end?
I know S397 stopped nVCP from working somehow in game after their move to DX11 so i wonder if SMS have it so nVCP has no affect?

Andrew_WOT
15-10-2017, 05:27
Yes, yes,and yes. At least on DP (display port). But I got more shimmering than with in game SS.
Select MSAA High in game and MFAA in NVCPL. I'll try Long Beach, so far everything I've tired, including night driving in thunderstorm is aliasing artifact free.

Just tried Long Beach. Squeaky-clean. :D

Aldo Zampatti
15-10-2017, 05:28
I've did a little test a few moments ago, testing the following:

-MSAA HIGH
-MSAA Low+SS
-FXAA HIGH + SSAA MED
-SMAA HIGH + SMAA MED
-SMAA low + SSAA Low

After everything, the first and last one from that list, have the best performance in pure "fps" measurement on a static environment (far from being scientific) but the last one (in my system) is 10% faster.

After looking purerly at the screenshots, the one that I liked the most was basically the last one, although I must admit, that MSAA HIGH was pretty close in my decision but finally the less-sharped imaged won my eyes a bit better.

Finally, I re-compared both with my other monitor (the one that I actually use for driving) that has a Sharpening setting, and then all the blurryness from SMAA went away and looked like a million bucks. This tells you that there are a lot of variants and that's why (luckily) we have so many options. What I like and how I see it, will vary from monitor to monitor and personal perception.

So I would recommend everyone to experiment with all the settings, take screenshot or video (maybe saving a replay) and pick whatever you like the most. Normally when I'm racing, can barely see If something is jagged or shimmering (up to some point, of course) :)

EDIT: I'm sharing my screenshots in case anyone fancy too look at my test: https://citrix.sharefile.com/d-sa1f4a26f93e4910a

adysoft
15-10-2017, 05:55
Is it just me or Forza ALWAYS applies AA to the car, but not no the whole scene?

No, look at the low part of the spoiler, you can see the jaggies with no AA.

BigDad
15-10-2017, 06:04

-MSAA HIGH
-MSAA Low+SS
-FXAA HIGH + SSAA MED
-SMAA HIGH + SMAA MED
-SMAA low + SSAA Low

After everything, the first and last one from that list, have the best performance in pure "fps" measurement on a static environment (far from being scientific) but the last one (in my system) is 10% faster.

After looking purerly at the screenshots, the one that I liked the most was basically the last one, although I must admit, that MSAA HIGH was pretty close in my decision but finally the less-sharped imaged won my eyes a bit better.

Finally, I re-compared both with my other monitor (the one that I actually use for driving) that has a Sharpening setting, and then all the blurryness from SMAA went away and looked like a million bucks. This tells you that there are a lot of variants and that's why (luckily) we have so many options. What I like and how I see it, will vary from monitor to monitor and personal perception.

So I would recommend everyone to experiment with all the settings, take screenshot or video (maybe saving a replay) and pick whatever you like the most. Normally when I'm racing, can barely see If something is jagged or shimmering (up to some point, of course) :)

EDIT: I'm sharing my screenshots in case anyone fancy too look at my test: https://citrix.sharefile.com/d-sa1f4a26f93e4910a

So SMAA Low + SSAA Low is best? Picture and performance! Compared to MSAA High!

Aldo Zampatti
15-10-2017, 06:08
So SMAA Low + SSAA Low is best? Picture and performance! Compared to MSAA High!

Best to my liking... Not plain "Best". I know a lot of people out there that tried this and did not liked it.

Also, in my actual gaming machine (1080ti) I use SMAA High + SSAA Medium. Looks better and I get ~120fps for my 144hz monitor and feels mega!

BigDad
15-10-2017, 06:11
Best to my liking... Not plain "Best". I know a lot of people out there that tried this and did not liked it.

Also, in my actual gaming machine (1080ti) I use SMAA High + SSAA Medium. Looks better and I get ~120fps for my 144hz monitor and feels mega!

I haven't tried much tested after the last patch, maybe better now!
Your gaming machine is 1440p? At 4k 120 fps isnt possible with SS AA medium.

jimortality
15-10-2017, 06:16
Buy a monitor for pc gaming problem solved ;)

adysoft
15-10-2017, 06:17

-MSAA HIGH
-MSAA Low+SS
-FXAA HIGH + SSAA MED
-SMAA HIGH + SMAA MED
-SMAA low + SSAA Low

Thanks for sharing Aldo!

I wish there was some settings to make it look like this though :p

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4512/37034615053_d55064c244_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/YqC5MK)

Aldo Zampatti
15-10-2017, 06:21
I haven't tried much tested after the last patch, maybe better now!
Your gaming machine is 1440p? At 4k 120 fps isnt possible with SS AA medium.

I'm using an UltraWide 2560x1080@144hz but normally I cap it to 100hz to save "some juice" :) I'll see if I can do "4k" (DSR) test but I doubt I'll make 120fps.. I have to test details.

Aldo Zampatti
15-10-2017, 06:23
Thanks for sharing Aldo!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4512/37034615053_d55064c244_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/YqC5MK)

Have you tried SuperSampling to Ultra ingame? Should look similar... (No MSAA, no PostAA, just SSAA to the maxx, it should be "9X" supersampling by doing 3x resolution both vertical and horizontal). It might kill your GPU/PSU though :P

EDIT: My 4k capture with MSAA High looks pretty similar if not better than your screenshot :)

Wolfzz
15-10-2017, 06:25
Yes tried it and even with my PC it cant handle it

BigDad
15-10-2017, 07:13
Buy a monitor for pc gaming problem solved ;)

When i can get a 55" or bigger 4k monitor i will but even the 43" isnt big enough , of coarse playing on a 27 " 4k the ppi is going to look nice but from 55" 's away i just FAR to small.

BigDad
15-10-2017, 07:25
Have you tried SuperSampling to Ultra ingame? Should look similar... (No MSAA, no PostAA, just SSAA to the maxx, it should be "9X" supersampling by doing 3x resolution both vertical and horizontal). It might kill your GPU/PSU though :P

EDIT: My 4k capture with MSAA High looks pretty similar if not better than your screenshot :)

Stills always look nice! Even just using MSAA looks fine until you see all the reflections and shadows on straight lines in movement then you see the problem !

BigDad
15-10-2017, 07:30
I'm using an UltraWide 2560x1080@144hz but normally I cap it to 100hz to save "some juice" :) I'll see if I can do "4k" (DSR) test but I doubt I'll make 120fps.. I have to test details.

You wont even get 60 @ 4k with SSAA Medium .

Roger Prynne
15-10-2017, 10:42
We will, not sure that this one though.
Always a pleasure to see developer taking his customers seriously.

It was just a joke, don't takes things so seriously :playful:
Also I'm not a developer as I developed a long time ago ;)

BigDad
15-10-2017, 11:38
It was just a joke, don't takes things so seriously :playful:
Also I'm not a developer as I developed a long time ago ;)

Double D's :p

BigDad
15-10-2017, 11:41

4k MSAA High screenshots look fantastic ! it's just in motion that the problem presents itself !

Andrew_WOT
15-10-2017, 16:06
4k MSAA High screenshots look fantastic ! it's just in motion that the problem presents itself !

The problem MFAA is supposed to solve as it is some form of temporal AA.
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/194629-analyzing-nvidias-new-aa-can-mfaa-improve-image-quality-without-a-frame-rate-hit

pyide_maybe
15-10-2017, 16:21
I really hope they try to implement some form of post-process temporal anti-aliasing themselves as MFAA isn't a global solution being nvidia only, if it even works

adysoft
15-10-2017, 16:34

Really?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4478/37714275501_65ba1cfda4_o.png (https://flic.kr/p/ZsFwak)

Aldo Zampatti
15-10-2017, 17:05
Really?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4478/37714275501_65ba1cfda4_o.png (https://flic.kr/p/ZsFwak)

I haven't posted my 4k Capture :) Only Full HD

Andrew_WOT
15-10-2017, 19:48
Am I losing my mind or sight :), but MSAA looks tons better after patch, much better than SS + whatever PP AA.
Was it part of those "and myriad other improvement" on release notes?
Tested and retested, definitely better than SS now.

Retested all my previous settings:
SSAA Low + FXAA High (my ex favorite)
SSAA Low + SMAA Med
MSAA Low + SSAA On
None looks as good, shadow flicker and AA artifact free. as plain MSAA High now. Pretty sure that has changed after patch (thanks SMS :), unless you just degraded SSAA ;))

Placebo or not it looks like enabling MFAA in NVidia CPL helps too, unfortunately with the way it works, it's hard to observe effect on static images to do reliable comparison.

If only LOD was increased as cars lose details pretty quickly even with 16xAF.

adysoft
15-10-2017, 22:53
I haven't posted my 4k Capture :) Only Full HD

Oh ok :-)

BigDad
16-10-2017, 02:18
SSAA Low + SMAA Med
MSAA Low + SSAA On
None looks as good, shadow flicker and AA artifact free. as plain MSAA High now. Pretty sure that has changed after patch (thanks SMS :), unless you just degraded SSAA ;))

Placebo or not it looks like enabling MFAA in NVidia CPL helps too, unfortunately with the way it works, it's hard to observe effect on static images to do reliable comparison.

Yeah i retested everything again last night and for me still MSAA High is best. With all different combo's from nVCP and nV insp. not really making any difference so i just went for MSAA High, FXAA On and MFAA On!
SSAA in game even on Low actually removes the shadow shimmer from on the track surface that is present about 20-40 metres in front of the player car but leaves fence shimmer.
Nothing can remove the shimmer from the rear of cars!

It seems the best solution would be a combo of in game SSAA with MSAA for fence and shadow shimmer and for SMS to drop the reflections from the carbon when racing and put it back for showroom and photo mode.

BigDad
16-10-2017, 02:21
Thanks for sharing Aldo!

What settings are used in this screen? How's it look at speed? How are the FPS?

adysoft
16-10-2017, 02:26
What settings are used in this screen? How's it look at speed? How are the FPS?
That's low msaa + 8K.
25-30fps.

BigDad
16-10-2017, 02:41
That's low msaa + 8K.
25-30fps.

30fps :(
How do you do 8k?

BigDad
16-10-2017, 02:45
SSAA Low + SMAA Med
MSAA Low + SSAA On

Have you tried 16xAF in nVCP? Might be more affective!
Having the cars drop to low res within 5 metres is pretty ordinary hey!

Andrew_WOT
16-10-2017, 03:02
Have you tried 16xAF in nVCP? Might be more affective!
Having the cars drop to low res within 5 metres is pretty ordinary hey!
Why would it be more effective in NVCPL?
Assetto retains pretty crisp image at quite far distances, so does FM7. PCars looks great only at close by, while I understand optimization for lower systems and consoles in particular, it would be nice to have some Drawing Distance slider or some other kind of LOD control for those who have heftier systems and going after the last bit of image quality.

adysoft
16-10-2017, 03:04
30fps :(
How do you do 8k?
Using DSR on my 4K TV.
I'll try to make a video tutorial tomorrow to show you how :-)

BigDad
16-10-2017, 03:11
Why would it be more effective in NVCPL?
Assetto retains pretty crisp image at quite far distances, so does FM7. PCars looks great only at close by, while I understand optimization for lower systems and consoles in particular, it would be nice to have some Drawing Distance slider or some other kind of LOD control for those who has heftier systems and going after last bit of image quality.

I don't know? Was just a thought!
Yeah i don't understand why a game would be completely gimped because of consoles with no way for PC's to increase graphics.

BigDad
16-10-2017, 03:11
Using DSR on my 4K TV.
I'll try to make a video tutorial tomorrow to show you how :-)

Awesome, you'll gain a new Sub when you do!

BigDad
16-10-2017, 04:29
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?45253-Nvidia-MFAA-does-it-work-with-PC/page4
Found this in the old forum!

Andrew_WOT
16-10-2017, 06:41
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?45253-Nvidia-MFAA-does-it-work-with-PC/page4
Found this in the old forum!

I read it, not very conclusive. And the more I look at it, the more I think it doesn't do shit.
Really disappointing.

BigDad
16-10-2017, 09:04
I read it, not very conclusive. And the more I look at it, the more I think it doesn't do shit.
Really disappointing.

I have a feeling that no nVCP or Inspector settings have any affect in game ! its all placebo.....Maybe ?
I wish someone from SMS could jump in here with opinions and possible solutions !

tpw
16-10-2017, 09:39
I have a feeling that no nVCP or Inspector settings have any affect in game ! its all placebo.....Maybe ?
I wish someone from SMS could jump in here with opinions and possible solutions !

You have to have MSAA enabled in game, then allow NVCP or NVI to take over. If you set all AA to off in game, then external AA won't work.

jimortality
16-10-2017, 10:10
Well I'd just like to thank all the people having issues with your graphics as before I started to read through this thread, I wasn't having any issues and now I am.

J4M35_R
16-10-2017, 11:17

This problem with AA looks like its been going on since PC1 , l think we are seeing a limitation of the game engine that SMS is using, as it looks as if its unable to produce pc quality AA .
Robert the renderer said a few pages back that he was happy the way it looked so l can't see the problem being fixed . But l really hope I'm wrong.

BigDad
16-10-2017, 11:19
Well I'd just like to thank all the people having issues with your graphics as before I started to read through this thread, I wasn't having any issues and now I am.

So now you can see the shimmer where before you couldnt ? or has all your tweaking stuffed something up ?

BigDad
16-10-2017, 11:20
This problem with AA looks like its been going on since PC1 , l think we are seeing a limitation of the game engine that SMS is using, as it looks as if its unable to produce pc quality AA .
Robert the renderer said a few pages back that he was happy the way it looked so l can't see the problem being fixed . But l really hope I'm wrong.

Yeah , i don't think they can do anything about it either :(

Bealdor
16-10-2017, 11:27
So now you can see the shimmer where before you couldnt ? or has all your tweaking stuffed something up ?

More like he started to see the issues he never would've looked for if he hadn't read this thread... ;)

Tepp
16-10-2017, 11:27

"We can't" (c)

- FXAA/SMAA have very little or no effect at all (I didn't notice any),
- MSAA is useless because of shadows,
- SS is killing your GPU.

BigDad
16-10-2017, 11:37
More like he started to see the issues he never would've looked for if he hadn't read this thread... ;)

That's what the first part of my post said !

BigDad
16-10-2017, 11:38
"We can't" (c)

I can but just only a certain time of days and on certain tracks !

Bealdor
16-10-2017, 11:39
LOL, time to get some more coffee I guess... :beaten:

Kitt
16-10-2017, 11:43
Tried all different settings in nVCP and I can't see any difference, pretty sure nVCP settings are having no effect in game,found in game msaa the best but end up with these white lines around the windows/sun visor on the in car view

jimortality
16-10-2017, 11:56

Yes. I agree though it would be interesting to hear what settings the devs play on with what systems.

jimortality
16-10-2017, 11:56

Yes, your first part is correct

Tyl3n0L
16-10-2017, 12:09
Tried all different settings in nVCP and I can't see any difference, pretty sure nVCP settings are having no effect in game,found in game msaa the best but end up with these white lines around the windows/sun visor on the in car view

Same here. I tried all of the settings in Nvidia Control Panel (Enhance/Overwrite) and also even tried with Nvidia Inspector and none of the AA solution works. I'm stuck with the ingame solutions so I did some quick tests with Fraps... Basically did my own little benchmark run, Daytona Road Course, 8PM, 24 AI Cars, 1 lap, Sunny Weather,. I found out this was pretty taxing on my setup. (i7 3770, 8GB DDR3, 980TI). Everything is set at Ultra/Max ingame.

NO AA
Frames: 16280 - Time: 148062ms - Avg: 109.954 - Min: 60 - Max: 141

MSAA HIGH
Frames: 12647 - Time: 137828ms - Avg: 91.759 - Min: 51 - Max: 122

SMAA ULTRA
Frames: 13637 - Time: 138000ms - Avg: 98.819 - Min: 57 - Max: 135

LOW MSAA LOW SUPERSAMPLING
Frames: 10067 - Time: 136156ms - Avg: 73.937 - Min: 42 - Max: 105

SUPERSAMPLING HIGH
Frames: 7249 - Time: 144484ms - Avg: 50.172 - Min: 30 - Max: 82

SUPERSAMPLING MEDIUM SMAA ULTRA
Frames: 7324 - Time: 142656ms - Avg: 51.340 - Min: 33 - Max: 72

I'm playing on a 50" 1080p TV and the best is definitely Supersampling High. However its too much taxing on my system. MSAA High would be the 2nd best IMO but it's really not as good.

Wolfzz
16-10-2017, 12:21
Best I can do with Super Sampling is on High (which is the best for IMO) so to have smooth game play with everything else on High/Ultra see my specs in my avatar.

BigDad
16-10-2017, 12:36
Best I can do with Super Sampling is on High (which is the best for IMO) so to have smooth game play with everything else on High/Ultra see my specs in my avatar.

You cant get 60 fps with SS High @ Long Beach @ 1800hrs !
I just tried it and it about 20 fps with 1080 Ti (overclocked) just driving out of the pits for qualifying, definitely not smooth !

Edit : sorry just looked at your resolution :uncomfortableness: so used to 4k framerate !

J4M35_R
16-10-2017, 12:40
You cant get 60 fps with SS High @ Long Beach @ 1800hrs !
I just tried it and it about 20 fps with 1080 Ti (overclocked) just driving out of the pits for qualifying definetly not smooth !

That's what I use as a benchmark. Long Beach / 2000hrs /
Thunderstorm. I can't use SS high.:(

BigDad
16-10-2017, 12:48
That's what I use as a benchmark. Long Beach / 2000hrs /
Thunderstorm. I can't use SS high.:(

Dropping back to 1080 hrs gives heaps of shadows and hammers fps , so a good gauge for most tracks i think . I just use light cloud because the shadows hits harder than the rain particles !

Max out settings with MSAA High with a full grid @ 1800 / light cloud for qualifying ! i get 52fps just driving out of the pits .
Will you try to compare performance ?
I use the Ferrari 288 GTO and same class .

shiftee
16-10-2017, 15:40
well I just gave testing AA another go, for me the NCP enhance AA definitely did not make any difference. In game SMAA and FXAA barely make a dent in the aliasing. this is on native 4k image by the way.

My only options seem to remain MSAA high or MSAA Low + SS ON after the patch, and just like before the patch MSAA Low + SS ON is still the better option for me. it cleans up the pole and fences, I still get it on the backs of cars and some shimmering elsewhere but its the best of the current options.

very strange this was not a problem in PCars 1, well it was a problem, but MSAA cleaned it up for me. Pcars1 always had the worst aliasing on a native rendered 4k image I have seen, and I play a lot of games in 4k -- but thankfully, MSAA cleaned it all up for me. Not sure what the difference is with Pcars 2, maybe the new lighting? kind of makes me miss Pcars 1 graphics, didn't have the tree shadows flickering, LOD popping, and aliasing like this. I can run Pcars 2 maxed out MUCH easier than Pcars 1, so there is some overhead there they could put towards graphics improvements for us pc customers, I feel like they got so hammered by the console crowd for performance issues they really downgraded and optimized for console this time around. Pcars 1 was cutting edge 4k graphics at the time, beautiful game. but other games have come and set a new standard, was hoping Pcars 2 would make more improvements graphically.

has anyone experimented with reshade injecting SMAA for Pcars 2? I know ingame SMAA doesnt do much, but reshade offers more options and control. maybe some expert can get it working well, it will come with the cost of some blur though. I always turn SMAA off when using other's reshade in other games, because it blurs the 4k image too much and is usually not needed...but desperate times require desperate measures...

jimortality
16-10-2017, 15:43
Same here. I tried all of the settings in Nvidia Control Panel (Enhance/Overwrite) and also even tried with Nvidia Inspector and none of the AA solution works. I'm stuck with the ingame solutions so I did some quick tests with Fraps... Basically did my own little benchmark run, Daytona Road Course, 8PM, 24 AI Cars, 1 lap, Sunny Weather,. I found out this was pretty taxing on my setup. (i7 3770, 8GB DDR3, 980TI). Everything is set at Ultra/Max ingame.

NO AA
Frames: 16280 - Time: 148062ms - Avg: 109.954 - Min: 60 - Max: 141

MSAA HIGH
Frames: 12647 - Time: 137828ms - Avg: 91.759 - Min: 51 - Max: 122

SMAA ULTRA
Frames: 13637 - Time: 138000ms - Avg: 98.819 - Min: 57 - Max: 135

LOW MSAA LOW SUPERSAMPLING
Frames: 10067 - Time: 136156ms - Avg: 73.937 - Min: 42 - Max: 105

SUPERSAMPLING HIGH
Frames: 7249 - Time: 144484ms - Avg: 50.172 - Min: 30 - Max: 82

SUPERSAMPLING MEDIUM SMAA ULTRA
Frames: 7324 - Time: 142656ms - Avg: 51.340 - Min: 33 - Max: 72

I'm playing on a 50" 1080p TV and the best is definitely Supersampling High. However its too much taxing on my system. MSAA High would be the 2nd best IMO but it's really not as good.

What are your specs?

E_Luckow
16-10-2017, 17:54
What are your specs?

It's in the post: (i7 3770, 8GB DDR3, 980TI)

Well, I'm not quite satisfied with the AA results in game as well... my less worst results come with MSAA High.

Had way better results in PCars 1, even with my older 970. :disturbed:

Rofas
16-10-2017, 20:10

Ingame MSAA can be enhanced with TrSSAA and SGSSAA via Control Panel or Inspector. The problem is that MSAA/SGSSAA won't effect the shadows in pcars, that's why I'm not satisfied even with 8xSGSSAA.

Kitt
16-10-2017, 20:43
Ingame MSAA can be enhanced with TrSSAA and SGSSAA via Control Panel or Inspector. The problem is that MSAA/SGSSAA won't effect the shadows in pcars, that's why I'm not satisfied even with 8xSGSSAA.

*shrug* Makes no difference to my eye's with regard to the jaggies

Rofas
16-10-2017, 20:46
*shrug* Makes no difference to my eye's with regard to the jaggies

You are doing something wrong then.

Kitt
16-10-2017, 21:47
You are doing something wrong then.

don't know what control panel your using but I can't see no trssaa or sgssaa on my nvidia control panel, using aa settings I have on my control panel make no visual difference to the game or at least no meaningful difference

Philm
16-10-2017, 23:24
I hope a patch will fix these anti aliasing problems! On some circuits, even with SS on Ultra it is not smooth! it's crazy !!!

BigDad
16-10-2017, 23:28
don't know what control panel your using but I can't see no trssaa or sgssaa on my nvidia control panel, using aa settings I have on my control panel make no visual difference to the game or at least no meaningful difference

nVidia inspector iguess, but what one is trssaa? I dont see it!

Krus Control
17-10-2017, 00:41
I got the best results on my system for looks/framerate by turning texture quality to medium, texture filtering to 8X, and MSAA off with SMAA Ultra on Post AA. It's like a whole different league of performance from when I was using higher texture quality and filtering and lower AA.

adysoft
17-10-2017, 01:21
Awesome, you'll gain a new Sub when you do!

Hey BigDad, this one is for you. Hope it helps ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kM2pm1ek-A

No need to sub, my channel is just a video dump for when I want to send a video to someone ;-)

monchicles
17-10-2017, 08:37
I donīt think fxaa is working at all.

morpwr
17-10-2017, 10:38
If you go buy the description for reflections it says its for wet track and puddles. So I left it on low. Its not its also for everything including the cars. It makes a big difference in the way the game looks and with the shimmering for some reason.

BigDad
17-10-2017, 11:51
If you go buy the description for reflections it says its for wet track and puddles. So I left it on low. Its not its also for everything including the cars. It makes a big difference in the way the game looks and with the shimmering for some reason.

Are you saying the shimmer is less with reflections High ?

morpwr
17-10-2017, 12:02
Are you saying the shimmer is less with reflections High ?

Yes at least on spa. I didn't get to try any other tracks but I was surprised by how much better it looked after putting it on ultra. It appears the description in the game is wrong but the NVidia description it is correct and says cars and buildings.

BigDad
17-10-2017, 12:16
Yes at least on spa. I didn't get to try any other tracks but I was surprised by how much better it looked after putting it on ultra. It appears the description in the game is wrong but the NVidia description it is correct and says cars and buildings.

I already had it on High , will bump it to Ultra and check !

morpwr
17-10-2017, 12:24
I already had it on High , will bump it to Ultra and check !

I had it on low because it said it was for wet track and puddles so I figured it would be a big performance hit like shadows. Plus I really don't care if the puddles look pretty.lol It does make the rear of the other cars look a lot better though and I don't think the fencing at spa was as bad either. On low it was really bad.

BigDad
18-10-2017, 11:46
Tonight i thought i fire up GeForce Experience and check what it said where recommended setting and found it says i have MSAA High (which i do) and it also says i have SuperSampling High ??
How is this and , do I ? In game when i turn MSAA High SS gets greyed out !

O-NO
18-10-2017, 11:49
I have MSAA high and SuperSampling is also greyed out. I don't have the GeForce Experience so I can't check that to see what it shows.

Think you're turning me into a graphics whore ;)

Roger Prynne
18-10-2017, 12:08
Tonight i thought i fire up GeForce Experience and check what it said where recommended setting and found it says i have MSAA High (which i do) and it also says i have SuperSampling High ??
How is this and , do I ? In game when i turn MSAA High SS gets greyed out !

Because GeForce Experience is crap.... never use it myself.

jimortality
18-10-2017, 12:13

Good for shadow play only

BigDad
18-10-2017, 13:06
I have MSAA high and SuperSampling is also greyed out. I don't have the GeForce Experience so I can't check that to see what it shows.

Think you're turning me into a graphics whore ;)

Looking at your Sig , i think you always where ;)

BigDad
18-10-2017, 13:09

I have never used its settings but have got free games from it a few times like tonight they are giving away RiME !
It looks like a weird version of Journey ! Great for my Kids and possibly me ? It's $30 on Steam now , so i'll take it for free , Thanks nVidia .

Roger Prynne
18-10-2017, 13:16
^ Bonus, nice one.

O-NO
18-10-2017, 16:06
Looking at your Sig , i think you always where ;)

Yes you have a point lol.

So what have you settled on now......MSAA Medium / High or something else:D

Aldo Zampatti
18-10-2017, 16:16
GeForce Experience is crap (in my humble opinion) to configure graphics settings in PCARS2 because it just reads the graphics config xml file. So when you had MSAA HIGH, the game ignores the supersampling setting in the XML (it will be grayed out on the screen) but the setting is still there in the file, thus GeForce Experience shows it with a value. But whatever you set there, will be ignored.

BigDad
18-10-2017, 22:47
Yes you have a point lol.

So what have you settled on now......MSAA Medium / High or something else:D

MSAA High and just only driving specific cars and tracks at certain time of day :( pretty sad really!

Andrew_WOT
18-10-2017, 22:50
MSAA High and just only driving specific cars and tracks at certain time of day :( pretty sad really!

That seems like the only sensible option at the moment.
And I think I've tried all possible combinations.
For better graphics there is always FM7.

BigDad
18-10-2017, 23:52
That seems like the only sensible option at the moment.
And I think I've tried all possible combinations.
For better graphics there is always FM7.

lol, but i want it all! Physics and Graphics and in 2017 i dont think thats too much to ask! We have the processing power so why not?

Andrew_WOT
19-10-2017, 00:46
lol, but i want it all! Physics and Graphics and in 2017 i dont think thats too much to ask! We have the processing power so why not?

Jack of all trades, master of none kind of thing.
Splitting time between AC, FM7 and PC2. Each has its strength.

BigDad
19-10-2017, 00:55
Jack of all trades, master of none kind of thing.
Splitting time between AC, FM7 and PC2. Each has its strength.

rF2 has some surprisingly good looking tracks and with the new GT3 pack still has a hold on me and AMS, man if only the new graphics engine would eventuate I'll never play any other again!

O-NO
19-10-2017, 08:01

Yes I've stuck with MSAA High, framerates are good @2560x1440 with everything on Ultra/High.

I too have to play PCars2 'certain time of day' too......usually when her indoors is out ;)

Kitt
19-10-2017, 08:23
Does anyone else get white dotted lines around windows/sun viser/roll cage on cockpit view with MSAA on high?

O-NO
19-10-2017, 08:30
Does anyone else get white dotted lines around windows/sun viser/roll cage on cockpit view with MSAA on high?

Yes I think I do and I'm sure someone else made a post showing it somewhere so we aren't the only ones.

woofi
19-10-2017, 08:31

me too!

Tepp
19-10-2017, 09:00
Yes I've stuck with MSAA High

What about shadows???

O-NO
19-10-2017, 09:07
What about shadows???

Not really noticed anything regarding shadows but I've not been looking to be honest.

O-NO
19-10-2017, 09:18
M6 GT3 cockpit view showing the white line MSAA High.

O-NO
19-10-2017, 09:29
SuperSampling: Medium.

Oomph
19-10-2017, 09:57
Getting white lines too, between pretty much most panels on the outside of cars,, inside around the windscreen and windscreen wiper. As for shadows, even on high if you drive along a pit wall at low speed and glance to your left mirror, I get this crazy black shading. I will post a coup,e of screenings, tried a magnitude of settings variation. The shimmering is painful, some tracks I don't notice it, most tracks I do.. another thing which I am going to retest, but last week prior to patch I was getting around a 10fps loss on nords just by changing seasons. Autum trees ( brown reddish ) dropped about 10fps once you it the dense areas, whereas it was fine with summer trees. I will definitely try again one of these days when I find the time.

O-NO
19-10-2017, 10:13
Just tried Nords in Summer then Autumn with no noticable loss in framerate but boy how do you race on that circuit lol was in the barriers around those first few bends.

Philm
19-10-2017, 10:36
Why with SS in ultra is still alias ???

Oomph
19-10-2017, 10:40
Just tried Nords in Summer then Autumn with no noticable loss in framerate but boy how do you race on that circuit lol was in the barriers around those first few bends.

cool, well i will try it again soon, i am also on a 970gtx, so it will struggle more.

here are those screenies, 1920x1080, most settings on high, textures high, shadows high etc.. i's be interested if anyone gets similar,. it does not do it in any other games either,.

arrow pointing to areas with the black bleeding effect,

ps, if you dont want these here, let me know and i will remove them

O-NO
19-10-2017, 10:47
Yes just checked I get that.

BigDad
19-10-2017, 11:02
I no Oomph , i haven't seen that ....YET ! But now you've pointed it out i probably will :( i'm about to do some laps so will post back if i see it or not .
I haven't noticed that line around the windscreen with MSAA High but no doubt will tonight :(
Once i see something like that , that looks odd i will never be able to look past it !

There is still hope , SMS will be patching the crap outta this game so hopefully the topics in this thread are of importance to them to fix .

Roger Prynne
19-10-2017, 11:20
cool, well i will try it again soon, i am also on a 970gtx, so it will struggle more.

here are those screenies, 1920x1080, most settings on high, textures high, shadows high etc.. i's be interested if anyone gets similar,. it does not do it in any other games either,.

arrow pointing to areas with the black bleeding effect,
ps, if you dont want these here, let me know and i will remove them

That's a bit of nit picking though don't you think.
Do you actually notice this when racing? if so you cant be concentrating on the track that much.

O-NO
19-10-2017, 11:28
I'm setting it to SuperSampling Medium and see how it goes.
SS on it's own or mixed with FXAA or SMAA doesn't appear introduce the white line in cockpit view.

Oomph
19-10-2017, 11:44
That's a bit of nit picking though don't you think.
Do you actually notice this when racing? if so you cant be concentrating on the track that much.

you can call it nit picking if you like, but i do notice driving in pitlane and on this particular open wheeler's mirrors whilst mid track as seen in shot 3, i am only doing 70kmh and it hangs around.
been on a 970 i know i could bump things up with a better card, and i was open to the fact that i may be doing something odd or even to a graphix card issue but if the guys with 1080's have similar it is somewhat concerning.

its not game breaking by any means, just annoying..l:)

Kitt
19-10-2017, 11:45
M6 GT3 cockpit view showing the white line MSAA High.

Yeah thats it, looks awful, really hope they can do something with the aa in this game...my eye's will be very grateful

O-NO
19-10-2017, 11:48
Yeah thats it, looks awful, really hope they can do something with the aa in this game...my eye's will be very grateful

Doesn't do it using SuperSampling.