PDA

View Full Version : GTX 1070 Flashing LED when loading game

fabriziospalding
22-09-2017, 03:03
never had any game that could control my gpu led pattern, but it's happening right now everytime i launch pcars 2 even if i turn off my EVGA 1070 led lights (using nvidia led visualizer) before launching the game it starts to blink from zero to maximum brightness and then when it reaches game menu the led goes off, only to slowly return it's brightness during races or replays. this kind of pattern is something like pcars 2 are trying to sync my gpu's temperature ou even fan speed or something else to show it using my gpu's led intensity...

i don't know if someone are going to even understand what kind of issue i'm having, other than this i'm loving the game, zero stuttering everything so far seems even better pcars 1... but too scary to play the game until have this issue resolved!

Mahjik
22-09-2017, 03:05
A few other WMD2 members noticed it as well, but there was never any harm.

Morgan Henstridge
22-09-2017, 03:22
Do you have shared memory enabled in the game settings?? just wondering if the LED control is picking up something from there.

I don't have any LEDs on my GPU so i cant comment personally, but i wouldnt think it could do any harm to the GPU.

fabriziospalding
22-09-2017, 04:45
on game settings 'shared memory' is off... i also believe that this issue must be harmless but it's odd because i have this gpu card since october 2016 and 100% of all my games never did something like that on the leds, the only way to alter or control the behavior of my gpu led are using nvidia led visualizer... until today when pcars 2 started to control it, and my guess is that have something to do with gpu's temperature because led goes almost zero brightness on game menus or long pauses and the bright is bigger when racing...

Morgan Henstridge
22-09-2017, 04:48
Is there any EVGA software that runs to control the LED??

Would be interesting to see if any other EVGA users get the same thing or if its spread across different GPU manufacturers.

Satchel_Charge
22-09-2017, 04:59
My EVGA 1080 SC does the same thing, have never seen or heard of it in any other game. Happening both before and after today's driver release from nvidia. The only software I have installed beside the base nvidia driver is EVGA Precision XOC. Luckily I cannot see the flashing when I'm sat in front of my wheel :p

Aldo Zampatti
22-09-2017, 05:18
She's just happy to be under good use :)

Sampo
22-09-2017, 15:50
Maybe the defaults for the LED Visualiser have been set for blinking when some temperature is reached or some different property. I've never used it, so I can't check the defaults.

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/geforce-experience-nvidia-geforce-gtx-led-visualizer-user-guide#3

fabriziospalding
22-09-2017, 16:16
i don't have a clue about why only project cars 2 are causing this on my 1070, it has nothing to do with nvidia led visualizer nor other evga apps like precision, and i bet it doesn't have to do with latest driver released yesterday because i found out a post from abril/2017 about a user playing pcars 2 beta which had that same issue (flashing leds during start up game and then going off and later when playing on and then dimming)...

Sampo
22-09-2017, 17:06
Do you have Geforce Experience installed? There must be a default configuration for the leds and PC2 just happens to trigger some condition in those defaults.

Do you have Vsync on in the game? If not, try with it and check the leds.

Satchel_Charge
22-09-2017, 18:44
I do not have geforce experience only the base drivers. VSync is on, and anyway the light starts flashing right away when the menu loads.

Topsie
22-09-2017, 18:58
Mine is EVGA. Its doesn't seem to be causing any harm. Its done this for several months during testing. Personally, I'd say nothing to worry about.

Mad Al
22-09-2017, 18:58
This came up during dev.. and I opened up the side of the case to see I had the same thing..

I cured it by putting the side back on my case..

fabriziospalding
22-09-2017, 22:58
yes i have gforce experience and did uninstall it then tried playing pcars 2 and again the same issue... just found a video someone with exactly the same issue posted, just search for "PROJECT CARS 2 TURNS OFF MY GPU LED LIGHTS" on ytube...

fabriziospalding
22-09-2017, 23:40
never had any game that could control my gpu led pattern, but it's happening right now everytime i launch pcars 2 my gtx 1070 led lights starts to flash from zero to maximum brightness and then when it reaches game menu the led goes off, only to slowly return it's brightness during races or replays. this kind of pattern is something like pcars 2 are trying to sync my gpu's temperature ou even fan speed or something else to show it using my gpu's led intensity...

please can someone out there tell me if it is dangerous to keep on playing pcars 2 under these circumstances? for what i read there is a bunch of people with 1070's and 1080's having the same issue, is it only the leds that go crazy or is it messing with the card itself, like keeping doing resets on gpu (the flashing pattern) or something like that? :confused:

Morgan Henstridge
22-09-2017, 23:41
This has been reported, does not affect the card, just the LED for some reason on certain EVGA Cards.

fabriziospalding
22-09-2017, 23:49
yes but i didn't find any official explanation, the devs are silent on something really unique and bizarre, because none other game in existence can do this to a gpu without explaining to the user why it is doing that, and my fear is that those several initial flashings during the load may be something like cutting the power supply to the card, i don't know, i'm not an engineer, i'm just a gamer who don't have much money if it fries my gpu i would not have means to buy another, and how i would make slightly mad pay me another graphic card? it's bad, very bad, waited months for this day, bought the deluxe version e now i'll just keep on waiting for some official response or patches...

BipolarTuna
22-09-2017, 23:56
This has been reported, does not affect the card, just the LED for some reason on certain EVGA Cards.

I have a Gainward founders edition GTX1080, game is making my LED's flash also. Panicked a bit at first thinking my card was loosing power.

Morgan Henstridge
22-09-2017, 23:59
The LED uses a tiny amount of power. If it were something like power cutting to the card, the LED would be the last thing running before the system crashed and the screen blacked out.

It is probably something with the way EVGA is talking to their LED to offer some of the advanced LED features, and PCARS is doing something that the LED is interpreting as coming from the EVGA software.

Other users saw this in WMD during development and have had no other issues with their GPUs.

fabriziospalding
23-09-2017, 00:00
ok, but how can you be sure that playing the game while it doing that to the gpu isn't causing any electrical damage? because there are two kinds of led behavior: 1) those caused by pre-programming using apps like nvidia led visualizer - for example, the user can have it's gpu's led to follow the pc's audio output or keep on "breathing" or 2) set the gpu to use the lights as warnings to various parameters like temperature, voltage usage, etc...

so how can we be sure what the game is really doing when he messes with something that any game is suposed to do? sorry if i may sound histerycal, and sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language...

Morgan Henstridge
23-09-2017, 00:00
I have a Gainward founders edition GTX1080, game is making my LED's flash also. Panicked a bit at first thinking my card was loosing power.

Thats interesting. Do they have advanced settings in the LED like to change on "Load" or change on "Temperature" etc?? As i think this is what is getting confused by PCARS 2.

EDIT - Also, with these cards, is there 3rd party software that controls the LED?? I am not sure as i have a Founders Edition card from nvidia, so i only have the vanilla nvidia drivers and no other "apps" from a gpu manufacturer.

Aldo Zampatti
23-09-2017, 00:09
Ciao Fabrizio. We got WMD users running the Christmas tree on their GPUs for a long time with no issues. So nothing to worry about. Still, I'll pass this forward to the devs for investigation

fabriziospalding
23-09-2017, 00:20
grazie aldo!!! i'm glad to hear this!

Sampo
23-09-2017, 01:24
I'm still saying there's a default to the led behaviour without any software installed and PC2 just reaches some point that makes those leds change. Is anyone with the problem using vsync?

Aldo Zampatti
23-09-2017, 01:37
Merged with more x-mas tree reports. :)

GrimeyDog
23-09-2017, 01:59
never had any game that could control my gpu led pattern, but it's happening right now everytime i launch pcars 2 even if i turn off my EVGA 1070 led lights (using nvidia led visualizer) before launching the game it starts to blink from zero to maximum brightness and then when it reaches game menu the led goes off, only to slowly return it's brightness during races or replays. this kind of pattern is something like pcars 2 are trying to sync my gpu's temperature ou even fan speed or something else to show it using my gpu's led intensity...

i don't know if someone are going to even understand what kind of issue i'm having, other than this i'm loving the game, zero stuttering everything so far seems even better pcars 1... but too scary to play the game until have this issue resolved!

yes i have the same problem... i was considering going back to the last driver i was using.

BipolarTuna
23-09-2017, 12:28
Thats interesting. Do they have advanced settings in the LED like to change on "Load" or change on "Temperature" etc?? As i think this is what is getting confused by PCARS 2.

EDIT - Also, with these cards, is there 3rd party software that controls the LED?? I am not sure as i have a Founders Edition card from nvidia, so i only have the vanilla nvidia drivers and no other "apps" from a gpu manufacturer.

The lights on mine are fixed (as in fixed brightness), no software that change them that I'm aware of. Gainward have a "tool" but it's just another OC tool really.

Only GPU software i have running is evga OCX and rivatuna static server (for fps limiter).

Mdd136
23-09-2017, 14:53
Same here!! gtx 1080ti evga sc1....Can we have some explaination from devs please?? When launching the game it starts to blink from zero to maximum brightness and then when it reaches game menu the led goes off, only to slowly return it's brightness during races. Never hapenned before ...WEIRD..I thought that my card was loosing power or the fan has some problems...

An clear answer from the devs would be great ..Thank you!!

n1waste
23-09-2017, 22:37
Hello there.
I noticed the problem after about 10 hours of playing time.
I just hadn't looked at the computer before.

Ingame Setting: 1920x1080@144Hz | Everything at Ultra | Vsync On

The temperature of the graphics card is quite normal.
In the menu, the card runs in idle mode.
As soon as I play, the LED turns on again and the maximum temperature is about 72°C.

I hope there might be a fix for that soon, because it makes you crazy. :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K, 4x 4.20GHz
CPU-Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 1080 Phoenix GLH
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT grau DIMM Kit 16GB
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB
HDD: Western Digital WD Black 1TB (WD1003FZEX)
Power-Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM 700W
Case: Fractal Design Define C mit Sichtfenster, schallgedämmt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yGwAutZDP8

fabriziospalding
24-09-2017, 00:52
so far at least 4 brands of nvidia's 10 series are showing this bizarre problem, and i found one post from april/2017 in which a beta tester was complaining about the same issue... so my conclusion is that nvidia is not causing this, but project cars 2...

other thing that i noted: the led brightness when racing is synced to my gpu's temperature, when exiting race and staying on main menu the led goes almost off, as well my gpu's temp... so maybe is something that the devs inserted on the game on purpose (not to be an "issue"), but maybe it was only to be active during beta phase and then it was included with final steam version...

RomKnight
24-09-2017, 01:22
My 1080 never showed those symptoms. The PC side is facing me so I should've noticed by now (except today. I was in VR only :D )

So it can't be the game's fault.

Both my CPU and GPU are 80% usage and I do have OC on top of factory defaults on my GPU (and CPU as well obviously :D)

Rombo Deadfish
24-09-2017, 02:07
I have 2 Evga 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid cards, and I noticed this behavior as well. When the game loads the LEDs start flashing then when you get into the game they go off. I am wondering why the game is accessing the lighting control on GPU in the first place.

AshenShugar
24-09-2017, 03:29
I have a MSI 980ti gaming 6G and mine is also exhibiting this behaviour. I have the light set to always on.

thepharcyde
24-09-2017, 07:13
Why at startup is the green logo flashing.

1) Why does it do it?
2) Is it drawing too much power/risk of breaking my GPU?
3) Is it on the cards to be fixed?

hugopro4
24-09-2017, 09:29
It's the same on my gigabyte 970

Bealdor
24-09-2017, 09:33
Threads merged.

Kitt
24-09-2017, 09:47
same lights flashing on a EVGA sc2 gtx 1080,temps and usage all look normal though so don't think its doing any harm to my GPU....I hope

Mad Al
24-09-2017, 10:25
Ok, just checked and my Zotac 1080Ti FE is still doing it too... start to flash as the intros play then goes off and stays off.

with Vsync on the card sits in the menus at 139MHz or something silly, basically just idling, so it's definitely not drawing a lot of power at that point.. and with vsync and the settings I run the card isn't breaking a sweat with a full field at night in a thunderstorm (it's not even boosting at that point)

Any chance of getting some sort of list of affected cards - people post exact make and model, rather than just a simple me too?

Theangleking
25-09-2017, 01:52
I just noticed this flicker of the led lights today as well. I have a evga gtx 1080 sc. this only happens with pc2 and no other game.

Joni Varis
25-09-2017, 06:07
I have similar symptoms on my secondary rig with MSI GTX 970. LED/MSI logo is flashing/blinking with this game while with others it remains lit all the time.

But that is not really big deal compared how the game affects my main rig. Seems like game takes over to my GPU fan profile and its going going totally bonkers -> http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52431-GPU-fan-going-crazy-on-pcars-2

supershadow25
29-09-2017, 06:47
Same here.....

2x GTX 1080TI EVGA SC....
Playing on triple with vsync on with 3x 4K and everything on "high".

No Problem with temp, but the same behavior of the LEDs from the cards, only at pC2.

greetz
Marco

Aldo Zampatti
29-09-2017, 16:44
I've tested every scenario a man can think of (at least this man can think of) and still get the blink on mine so:

- Is not temperature
- Is not Power
- Is not an alarm
- Is not shared memory
- Is not (up to certain extent) an external software in my case.

I've reported this internally but I can safely say that the Blinking lights is 100% harmless. What's different is Joni's issue with the Fans going up and down, which might cause inconveniences besides the noises.

Zeiss
29-09-2017, 16:51
Noticed this as well on my Evga 1070 gtx. Doesnt seem to cause an issue though.

Sampo
29-09-2017, 16:51
Btw, there's a standalone LED Visualizer at http://international.download.nvidia.com/GFE/LEDViz/1.0.0.0/LEDVisualizer_v1.0.0.0.exe.

What's strange is that the default setting for the LED is not anything you can select in the visualizer. If you want the defaults back you have to reinstall the drivers with the "clean install" option.

Aldo Zampatti
29-09-2017, 16:56
Btw, there's a standalone LED Visualizer at http://international.download.nvidia.com/GFE/LEDViz/1.0.0.0/LEDVisualizer_v1.0.0.0.exe.

What's strange is that the default setting for the LED is not anything you can select in the visualizer. If you want the defaults back you have to reinstall the drivers with the "clean install" option.

Tried it, even if you set it to off, it blinks when PC2 starts :)

VelvetTorpedo
29-09-2017, 16:58
I almost had a heart attack when my Asus GTX1080 light started blinking. Comforting to know its not harming anything.

Sampo
29-09-2017, 16:58
Tried it, even if you set it to off, it blinks when PC2 starts :)

I know, that link was just informative. :)

Tepp
29-09-2017, 19:31
Black insulating tape will fix that! ... :)

Campacci2k
30-09-2017, 02:09
Same problem here.

Download EVGA Precision XOC, go to Setting, LED tab.

On EVGA LOGO LED, change the dropdown menu to Static ON. Then press OK.

Profit.

For some unknown reason, Project CARS 2 changed the option there (?).

GMONEY5768
02-10-2017, 23:46
I also have it with my titan xp and I call NVidia and they told me to send the card back to them so they just sent me a new card they never said if it was the card gone bad or not but they told me to stop playing pcars2 in till the game makers fix this.... o and I did try the new card with pcars and it did the same thing. so I think its killing your cars slowly bc the game makers are just some guys that make games with our money in there basement .. so all in all SMS is not going to buy you another card when it breaks

GTsimms
03-10-2017, 01:31
So would this be a confirmed fix for the blinking lights?

Aldo Zampatti
03-10-2017, 01:59
I also have it with my titan xp and I call NVidia and they told me to send the card back to them so they just sent me a new card they never said if it was the card gone bad or not but they told me to stop playing pcars2 in till the game makers fix this.... o and I did try the new card with pcars and it did the same thing. so I think its killing your cars slowly bc the game makers are just some guys that make games with our money in there basement .. so all in all SMS is not going to buy you another card when it breaks

I doubt PC2 is killing cards, MANY of us have being using this GPUs for months (some other even a couple of years) with the same GPU. So I honestly doubt it.

Aldo Zampatti
03-10-2017, 02:00
So would this be a confirmed fix for the blinking lights?

Not that I'm aware of

GTsimms
03-10-2017, 02:04
Not that I'm aware of

I will need to check my EVGA, but the MSI Gaming X is steady!

Alan Dallas
03-10-2017, 03:43
My 1070 doesn't have any LED's on it, however it should be noted that cards that support GTX LED Visualizer have a GPU Activity Alarm(for Fan Speed/Temp Threshold) that's user controlled and built into the BIOS on the card. It's very possible there's something in pC2 when it hooks the drivers, it's kicking off a false alarm in the Visualizer.

fabriziospalding
11-10-2017, 13:47
any luck with this led problem after the new patch released today? i'm off to work and didn't try yet...

Kitt
11-10-2017, 15:13
any luck with this led problem after the new patch released today? i'm off to work and didn't try yet...

LED's still flashing on my EVGA 1080 sc2,I've a feeling this little quirk is going to stay.

fabriziospalding
11-10-2017, 16:16
slightly mad studios should at least explain to us WHY THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN PLAYING PROJECT CARS 2. none other game on my 680+ list of games do this to my gpu's leds... at least i got forza 7 to play until SMS releases some official word on this.

Sankyo
11-10-2017, 16:29
slightly mad studios should at least explain to us WHY THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN PLAYING PROJECT CARS 2. none other game on my 680+ list of games do this to my gpu's leds... at least i got forza 7 to play until SMS releases some official word on this.
And what if they don't even know why or how this can happen? The game has no code to change GPU LED colours, there is no use for that in a race sim.

finagle69
11-10-2017, 16:34
And what if they don't even know why or how this can happen? The game has no code to change GPU LED colours, there is no use for that in a race sim.

This is what I suspect. And frankly, that is a bit worrisome for many reasons.

I have the same issue with my EVGA 1080Ti FE

roost
11-10-2017, 16:45
Evga 1070sc.
Same issue.
Did not notice it until I had to pull side cover.
Would like to know what's up as well.
No other games do this.
Agree...I will now worry about it.
Especially with zero input as to why it's happening.
How is everyone 100% positive that's it's not effecting the card in any way?
Has anyone heard this from their video card manufacturer that it's 100% safe?

fabriziospalding
11-10-2017, 17:12
"How is everyone 100% positive that's it's not effecting the card in any way?" --> none of us can be 100% positive, we are gamers not gpu experts and as a consumer i feel bad paying for a game that without any explanation can do this kind of thing to my hardware.

and what is worse is the fact that many people don't have a glass side of their pcs so they won't even notice that their gpus are behaving like that.

why is so difficult to SMS to at least tell us something about this problem?

powermix24
22-10-2017, 06:57
i have the same problem , EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC , i have never seen this issue before with other games . This needs to be fixed .

kofotsjanne
22-10-2017, 07:44
Palit 1080 and happens to me too. Isnt pcars2 a Gameworks title? They should be able to at least have a pretty easy way to contact Nvidia and ask whats up. Apparently it happens on FE cards aswell?

fabriziospalding
22-10-2017, 13:56
game was released exactly one month ago and so far not a single official word about it being fixed. this is the biggest problem here, worst even than the bug itsef that is the lack of support to a community of gamers tired of being treated like beta testers.
and what is even worst is the official silence from the devs on steam discussions, this really makes pc gaming a dark corner on what was supposed to be only fun and joy. in fact this really seems like some lack of respect, so much time wasted trying to fix problems instead of playing. :(

Alan Dallas
22-10-2017, 14:01
game was released exactly one month ago and so far not a single official word about it being fixed. this is the biggest problem here, worst even than the bug itsef that is the lack of support to a community of gamers tired of being treated like beta testers.
and what is even worst is the official silence from the devs on steam discussions, this really makes pc gaming a dark corner on what was supposed to be only fun and joy. in fact this really seems like some lack of respect, so much time wasted trying to fix problems instead of playing. :(
There's a reason why there is a Sticky Thread on the Steam forums pointing people here for help. In case the reason has escaped you let me explain it. It's easier to track issues all in one place that they have more control over.
As for this being "the biggest problem here"... highly debatable and only your opinion.

Mad Al
22-10-2017, 14:26

just rename the NVAPI dll...

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52431-GPU-fan-going-crazy-on-pcars-2&p=1396487&viewfull=1#post1396487

Roger Prynne
22-10-2017, 14:29
He knows that but doesn't seem to except it for whatever reason.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52431-GPU-fan-going-crazy-on-pcars-2-Workaround-inside!&p=1404896&viewfull=1#post1404896

drumphase
25-10-2017, 00:56
Same thing here....logo flashing. ASUS 1080GTX card. Only happens at launch of Project Cars 2 but once the game is loaded and at the menu screen, the led light stays on. Weird that there hasn't been a fix or a post from the dev group from either Nvidia or MDM/Pcars why this happens and if it is still safe to run their game. Checking the GPU temp, clock, and fan speeds, everything would appear to be normal except for the flashing light. So I assume it is okay to run the game but still makes me uneasy about it. Others?

GTsimms
25-10-2017, 01:00
It has been fixed and will be in the next patch. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52431-GPU-fan-going-crazy-on-pcars-2-Workaround-inside-Fixed-in-Next-Patch&p=1406543&viewfull=1#post1406543

drumphase
25-10-2017, 01:14
It has been fixed and will be in the next patch.

Excellent! I'm loving the game. I assume it is okay to play before the next patch rolls out? Thanks again!!

GTsimms
25-10-2017, 01:22
Excellent! I'm loving the game. I assume it is okay to play before the next patch rolls out? Thanks again!!

I have been playing it on mine, with no issue. I am more worried about OCing(when testing) vs this blinking light!

drumphase
25-10-2017, 01:24
I have been playing it on mine, with no issue. I am more worried about OCing(when testing) vs this blinking light!

How long have you been playing it? I just got my new rig a week ago and installed pcars 2 three nights ago. Don't want to potentially cause an issue with my new system/GPU. :-\

GTsimms
25-10-2017, 01:41
I have put some hours into it! Enough to know, if something should go bad!

Aldo Zampatti
25-10-2017, 05:45
i have more than 250 hours with blinking lights already :)