PDA

View Full Version : VR options - does super sampling work?

mr_belowski
22-09-2017, 08:24
Anyone using VR? Have you been able to get super sampling to work at all?

I can move the slider in the VR options menu and when I exit it asks me to restart the app. But when I go back to the VR options menu it's still at 1.0. I've also tried changing super sampling in the regular graphics menu and this makes no difference either.

It appears that I can only use MSAA

This is with a Vive (SteamVR)

Flashgod
22-09-2017, 09:54
Yeah, i have the same problem. Settings for super sampling aren't working. Besides that everything else looks fantastic after a couple minutes of testing.

Sparten
22-09-2017, 10:40
I'll jump on that boat aswell, SS is not working here with Vive.

Boskapongen
22-09-2017, 10:49
I just checked the oculussettings file under Documents and value 1.5 (as i set ingame) is there... IF THIS is the correct row for SS

<prop name="ResScale" data="1.5" />

NOTE: I run Oculus so maybe an Vive thing?

mr_belowski
22-09-2017, 11:04
i tried editing the file and it doesn't seem to have any effect

IlIlSHADOWlIlI
22-09-2017, 11:28
Changing any of the settings does not seem to affect the performance, laggy in VR, GTX 1070 i4790k.

Also I see no mention of Vive in the game settings files.

mr_belowski
22-09-2017, 11:35
i noticed that. The openvr settings file contains XML elements with "occulus", rather than "openvr" or anything like that, but it might not mean anything

MaXyM
15-10-2017, 23:15
I can confirm, SS in Vive still doesn't work.
What is worse, it cannot be forced even by SteamVR itsetf.
It's probably because the game forces 1.0 ratio on drivers or something like this. But it's only my guess.

Mad Al
15-10-2017, 23:20
I can confirm, SS in Vive still doesn't work.
What is worse, it cannot be forced even by SteamVR itsetf.
It's probably because the game forces 1.0 ratio on drivers or something like this. But it's only my guess.

Are you adjusting it in the Performance meu or the VR menu, as I'm sure someone reported it ONLY works for the Vive using the VR menu

MaXyM
15-10-2017, 23:29
After patch 1.2 supersampling option is no more available in Performance settings (at least while game is running in VR mode with Vive enabled). There is a label, space for a slider (but no one available), no value.
In VR options there is a slider, but doesn't matter what I set (1.0 or 2.0) I can see no effect in image quality nor fps impact.

morpwr
16-10-2017, 01:19
Try deleting the graphics settings in docs folder but don't expect to get the same results as other games. Everything in front of you doesn't improve much if at all. The stuff right next to you will thou. Look at the car right next to you at the start of a race. Makes no sense. I actually think pcars 1 looked better in vr.

MaXyM
16-10-2017, 09:39
Now I know multiple other places where not functional SS in VIVE is confirmed. What I have to test is SS in SteamVR while SS in pC2 set to 1.0. Probably I've tried SteamVR SS while having SS in-game set to value greater than 1.
This combination should work regarding to mentioned posts.

B1rdy
16-10-2017, 11:12
What I have to test is SS in SteamVR while SS in pC2 set to 1.0.SS applied through SteamVR works but it applies a huge load on the GPU, more than expected. While PCars 1 with res-scale set to 1.5 and 2xAA runs at 90FPS with everthing on low. PCars 2 is far below 90 FPS with everything on low and SteamVR set to 2.2x SS.
Another odd thing is, 16x AF in-game looks worse than trilinear filtering and seems to perform worse.

clanky
16-10-2017, 14:30
SS applied through SteamVR works but it applies a huge load on the GPU, more than expected. While PCars 1 with res-scale set to 1.5 and 2xAA runs at 90FPS with everthing on low. PCars 2 is far below 90 FPS with everything on low and SteamVR set to 2.2x SS.
Another odd thing is, 16x AF in-game looks worse than trilinear filtering and seems to perform worse.

I noticed the same about the 16x AF vs Trilinear filtering. It really threw me off, because there is so many people suggesting to use 16xAF and turn lots of other things down. I read one guy mention using Trilinear so tried that and it's much better. The night/rain kills my performance in VR big time and for some reason the menu loading up to the race is super laggy (where you click ready and all that). Try looking away and it gets smooth again. I have a 1080ti and I have found that running 1.8 seems to do good, until night/rain like mentioned earlier. I don't get constant 90fps, but with always on reprojection it's playable. I was really hoping for better optimizations for VR (especially since they stated it was built from the ground up with VR in mind). Maybe they'll come in the future, also I have heard reports that people with the Oculus are getting much better picture + framerates. I'm getting a rift this christmas for my kiddo so I might just give this a shot too.

demaarten
16-10-2017, 15:25
I noticed the same about the 16x AF vs Trilinear filtering. It really threw me off, because there is so many people suggesting to use 16xAF and turn lots of other things down. I read one guy mention using Trilinear so tried that and it's much better. The night/rain kills my performance in VR big time and for some reason the menu loading up to the race is super laggy (where you click ready and all that). Try looking away and it gets smooth again. I have a 1080ti and I have found that running 1.8 seems to do good, until night/rain like mentioned earlier. I don't get constant 90fps, but with always on reprojection it's playable. I was really hoping for better optimizations for VR (especially since they stated it was built from the ground up with VR in mind). Maybe they'll come in the future, also I have heard reports that people with the Oculus are getting much better picture + framerates. I'm getting a rift this christmas for my kiddo so I might just give this a shot too.

Hello. Don't get your hopes up for better image quality in the Oculus. blurry image in the distance is just what it is. On both devices. (I even see it on the monitor)
I run 1.4 supersampling in game and medium SS and high settings on a 1080TI with perfect 90FPS. I am running 16x AF so will try trilinear and see if it changes the image quality

B1rdy
16-10-2017, 15:29
Yes, the pre-race menu places about +15% load on the GPU.
Where did you set 1.8x SS? If in SteamVR then it is more like 1.34xSS, because it only show the product of both resolution axis.