PDA

View Full Version : [Known] Volume sound way to low

Peterg60123
22-09-2017, 11:40
Hi all just started playing prc2 and whatís with the sound volume? Itís way to low the car sounds great but u canít hear like pc1. So I fought it was my set up I havenít changed anything on my set up. So I fired up prc1 and it blew my ear off what I like . This prc2 on max volume I can hear the kids screaming in back ground no good lol. Pls up the volume up itís not my set up as other games way louder

Peterg60123
22-09-2017, 11:42
Using turtle beach headset

Dnns84
22-09-2017, 11:50
I have the exact opposite, compared to other games I find the sound at a reasonable volume now. I am using my 5.1 set and when I play other games or watch TV I have the volume set around 50. With pCars 1 I had to turn the volume down to about 35 to be at a similar volume as I normally play games (30% lower). Now I don't have to turn down the sound anymore when starting pCars. I can almost retire the volume button on my remote :P

Peterg60123
22-09-2017, 11:56
Its so low I can hear people in the same room as me. Very low all on 100 percent

Peterg60123
22-09-2017, 12:32
Ok I just tried the focus rally car dammmm it blew my ears off this is how volume should be on each car

Siberian Tiger
22-09-2017, 12:34
pCars 2 has positional Audio, so if you drive a Car that has an Rear Engine you won't hear much in Bonnet View...

Peterg60123
22-09-2017, 12:37
Overall sound is low . Surely they can turn it up a bit and we can adjust on headset. Way way to low I had to take headset off and play on tv volume to 100 and put my head near it

speedy23
22-09-2017, 12:52
Peter is right.
All sounds are very low! Using headset to max volume is too low. With PC1 my headset volume was about 70%!!

Peterg60123
22-09-2017, 20:04
Joke sort it out . Devs go play on a track any car any track see how low voulume is . Then go play rally cross and it blow your ears off.

Peterg60123
22-09-2017, 20:06
pCars 2 has positional Audio, so if you drive a Car that has an Rear Engine you won't hear much in Bonnet View...

Nope doesn’t matter if it’s fromt end or rear engine it’s just low . But if u go say play a focus rally it’s like pc1 so need fixing pls

ironik
22-09-2017, 20:32
which car ?
EDIT: sorry, I'm in the PS4 forum ... silly me ^^

I can't help you on that, sorry.

HHLAD
23-09-2017, 23:02
The engine sound is far too low like you are driving a Lexus sedan but indeed you are driving a sport car. Terrible. This only happens to PC2, not on the other games including PC1. I hope they can fix it soon,

Diablo944
23-09-2017, 23:21
Pcars engine sound is too low on mine too. Though that pain in the ass commentator positively shouts the idiot stuff like when you first select a practice session he comes on and near deafens you with 'this is where you do the obvious thing you already just selected from a menu' or some equally useless blurb.

Pcars 1 engine sound was too loud out of the box, pcars 2 is the absolute opposite and even turned up is still less than impressive.

Martini Da Gasalini
24-09-2017, 00:43
I agree i have Sony Gold headphones and i have volume maxed and wish i could crank it up more, on PC 1 i wouldn't dare turn my volume to max ;)

Civic
24-09-2017, 02:22
Just adding audio volume is low on any device I use. It is too low to use through my display through HDMI and with my headphones volume is so low I could hear everything going on at the other end of the house even though I had volume up all the way.

MYSTYKRACER
24-09-2017, 02:27
Have the same issue w/ the sound being too low. In order to avoid the variability of various cars and setups I'm referencing the open video sequence as being sufficiently neutral. I'm running mine through a Denon 2200 receiver in 5.2.1 w/ the sound level set at -0 db and tried all three of the available sound output formats - PCM / DTS / Dolby - w/ the same result. I thought it was just me at first so I switched over to PC1 and started up the game and after about 20 secs I got a "CAN YOU TURN THAT DOWN!" request from wife from the second floor. Switched back to PC2 and after about 20 mins my wife came downstairs and said, "Oh, I thought you had turned that off?" Not particularly scientific but it does illustrate the point.

Also as a side note, has anyone else noticed the colors in the opening sequence of PC2 seem to be washed out as well as some screen juddering? I haven't noticed this anywhere else in the game, in fact all of the other interfaces and video output look quite good so I don't know if this is intentional in that opening sequence for some type of "effect" but that would seem to contradict the premium nature of the experience. Again I'm running the output through a Denon receiver so checking the input > output I have 1080p / 60hz upscaled to 4K / 30hz. My monitor is a non-HDR 60" 4K Vizio.

Warren1571
24-09-2017, 02:45
Yep, I have exactly the same issues with volume, it's terrible. Spent hours messing with all the setting but got nowhere. It's going to get fixed in a patch I believe.

Also, yep the intro movie looks terrible, extremely washed out like you mention.

BigAlex
24-09-2017, 02:47
OMG I am becoming Deaf... Where is that gorgeous engine Sound??

Civic
24-09-2017, 02:52
OMG I am becoming Deaf... Where is that gorgeous engine Sound??

Yes Alex that is another issue where the Engine sounds disappear and the only way to restore them is to reset to the pitbox or restart.

MYSTYKRACER
24-09-2017, 04:18
Yep, I have exactly the same issues with volume, it's terrible. Spent hours messing with all the setting but got nowhere. It's going to get fixed in a patch I believe.

Also, yep the intro movie looks terrible, extremely washed out like you mention.

Out of curiosity did you download the game or buy the disc? I downloaded but I'm starting to think I should have bought the disc and then just added on the DLC later. That's what I did for PC1 and didn't seem to have nearly as many problems as people reported w/ that release.

Warren1571
24-09-2017, 05:06
Out of curiosity did you download the game or buy the disc? I downloaded but I'm starting to think I should have bought the disc and then just added on the DLC later. That's what I did for PC1 and didn't seem to have nearly as many problems as people reported w/ that release.

I bought the digital download edition but I honestly would hope that makes no difference. For pcars1 I bought the disc.

drathuu
24-09-2017, 06:55
Im using a headset and the sound is amazing.. I have to turn master volume to 20% just to hear people on Teamspeak.

Have you tried setting your Headset to Stereo ? or changing the surround dynamics in your headphones.. Could be something that your headphone (Soundcard) driver is doing converting for your headset. (Set to stereo as a test, just to see).

JohnSchoonsBeard
24-09-2017, 08:38
Im using a headset and the sound is amazing.. I have to turn master volume to 20% just to hear people on Teamspeak.

Have you tried setting your Headset to Stereo ? or changing the surround dynamics in your headphones.. Could be something that your headphone (Soundcard) driver is doing converting for your headset. (Set to stereo as a test, just to see).

The issue is in the PS4 forum. You seem to be on PC. :)

For some others' info try setting headphones to chat audio rather than all audio. It's accessible from the quick menu (hold ps button) On the headphone output set at "All audio" sound is very quiet but with it set to "chat" the sound is better on my setup below. However with that option set the race engineer is played through the ds4 speaker if on (which is of no use when wearing headphones).

Gr8_Lakes
02-10-2017, 03:45
Just want to add that I'm also experiencing volume levels that are too low overall on PS4. Using both Sony Gold and Logitech G933 headsets. Thank you.

sirsilver1968
02-10-2017, 10:34
As i see it all SMS need to do is increase all the audio sliders to 120, problem solved :)

Civic
02-10-2017, 12:16
As i see it all SMS need to do is increase all the audio sliders to 120, problem solved :)

I'm not sure about that. There is more wrong with the sound than it just being low. Even at such low volumes it still sounds distorted.

sirsilver1968
03-10-2017, 02:28
Ive not heard any distortion at all through my headset, all ive noticed is that in terms of levels some cars sound louder than others.

Civic
03-10-2017, 04:45
Have you tried the the BMW GT3 cars?

sirsilver1968
03-10-2017, 06:34
I will try those later and get back you.

Icecream-Inc
03-10-2017, 09:35

im sure this is true... however
Formula Renault 3.5 loud... Formula A ..quiet like a mouse.
both engines behind the driver.

ps4 all volume sliders untouched

Nu-lee
03-10-2017, 10:50
There's a huge difference with pc1. There I had to slide the audio controls in party settings to party audio or else I just heard the game sounds instead of conversation. Now in Pc2 I set it way left to game sound, everything at 100 in game and still when everyone is talking I barely hear the game...

donkey racer
03-10-2017, 15:26
i can hear my wife when the volume is 100 % so theres something not right

creaky2857
03-10-2017, 16:14
Am a great fan of PROJECT CARS however somewhat disappointed with P CARS 2. I also agree that there are sound issues, just play the original game and the difference is obvious immediately. Also very surprised at the amount of screen draw when playing ( not what I expected with the PS4 PRO ) My biggest gripe however and probably more applicable to a different post is the lack of feeling despite trying numerous options in both the game settings using my Fanatic PS4 wheels ? Suggest Slightly Mad Studios test wheels and post optimum settings both within a game and in combination with all compatible wheels. Graphics are very good ( again 2 has major screen draw issues, more so than the previous game ) and I have had success with the Fanatecc wheels in the original game ( particularly F1 2017 ) so don't understand the problems with this new release. Would appreciate any suggestions as don't want to return my game for a refund!

sirsilver1968
03-10-2017, 18:48
Have you tried the the BMW GT3 cars?

Tried them earlier and to be honest I loved the raw sound of them, I'm afraid I did not hear any distortion and I was changing the view on each car just to make sure.

Civic
03-10-2017, 20:51
Thanks for trying them. Then this is a new issue.

Only in cockpit mode for me, I never try to drive with any other camera so I can't report on any other sounds. My sounds are distorted through both sets of my headphones. One set is the made for PS4 Afterglow LVL5+. The other is a set of Sony MDR-10RBT's. I feel safe to say we can rule out my headphones as being the issue. The R8 sounds really good. The BMW sounds are really bad. This inconsistency runs through the game for me.

If others are not experiencing it I wonder what the issue could be? If you do not hear distortion in the cockpit view in either the BMW Z4 GT3 or M6 GT3 then I am concerned the problem might not get fixed for me or anyone else if they are experiencing the same since I can't even imagine how that could be possible other than perhaps my files are corrupted or different somehow.

I'm on PS4 standard. I have the disc deluxe addition with the patches downloaded.

Podimix
04-10-2017, 06:25
Here is the comparison of PC1 and PC2 with the same settings: https://youtu.be/F3ELb-5x8AY

Maciej619
04-10-2017, 08:49
I would also like that the tire squeal noise be louder. I cannot hear when I'm locking the brakes. I went down with all the sliders to 80, apart from tire noise and its not better.
i'm on 5.1 if that matters

jaynnc
08-10-2017, 06:23
Nope doesnít matter if itís fromt end or rear engine itís just low . But if u go say play a focus rally itís like pc1 so need fixing pls
I can definitely confirm that PC2 is low sounding.....i left everything the same and tried different racing games...i had to turn down the volume on the other games

tomsku28
09-10-2017, 06:27
Hi all just started playing prc2 and what’s with the sound volume? It’s way to low the car sounds great but u can’t hear like pc1. So I fought it was my set up I haven’t changed anything on my set up. So I fired up prc1 and it blew my ear off what I like . This prc2 on max volume I can hear the kids screaming in back ground no good lol. Pls up the volume up it’s not my set up as other games way louder

Hi, I made a thread about this problem 2-3 days after release and Ian Bell wrote that he would push this to dev. team so they would check out volume settings.

Think this will be solved in next patch, I hope so.
Miss the insane volume from PC1.

PS4 PRO and Turtle Beach Elite 800 on my part.

chops13
12-11-2017, 15:29
Anyone heard anything further about the sound level AND mix?

donkey racer
14-11-2017, 08:40
the formula c is very low
not very immersive is it

The Last V8
11-12-2017, 06:54
Hi all...bought yesterday pc2...downloaded patch But volume is really too low with maximum level of LFE ehnancer too...what To do?

I'm really Sad.....😩

FreefallRLC
11-12-2017, 07:40
After patch it got better. especially the surrounduing sounds, The main main still too low and less than PC1 for my taste

The Last V8
11-12-2017, 08:11
After patch it got better. especially the surrounduing sounds, The main main still too low and less than PC1 for my taste

Exactly...Goes better(a little) But still remains toooooo Low...is It really possible there is no solution?

How can we report this damn real problem To developers?

ian2726
11-12-2017, 11:44
i have turned down the engine volume to 30 and turned up other stuff to 100 and LFE to 100 it's much better. have a play with the audio settings to get it closer to what you like.
This varies by car and i have to fiddle if i change from the TC to others.

FreefallRLC
11-12-2017, 12:36
i have turned down the engine volume to 30 and turned up other stuff to 100 and LFE to 100 it's much better. have a play with the audio settings to get it closer to what you like.
This varies by car and i have to fiddle if i change from the TC to others.

But like this you probably have to turn up the TV to 100% volume? Pray not to forget to turn down again one day and start a normal movie haha

The Last V8
11-12-2017, 14:27
Easy by TV...Till 100 ok

But in The hearphones???

speedy23
11-12-2017, 17:00
I honestly do not understand what there is to discuss about the volume.
The volume is very very very low.
Just compare the volume of the background sound in the PS4 home screen to realize it, or the volume of the audio chat that splits the eardrums.
I play with headphones and it is absolutely inadequate, but this has been said since day 1.
Then, if I have to buy an amplifier to connect to headphones to play PC2 then ...

JohnSchoonsBeard
11-12-2017, 20:16
Just compare the volume of the background sound in the PS4 home screen to realize it, or the volume of the audio chat that splits the eardrums.
I play with headphones and it is absolutely inadequate, but this has been said since day 1.
Then, if I have to buy an amplifier to connect to headphones to play PC2 then ...

1 What headphones are you using?
2 How are they connected
3 What settings are you using in the PS4 audio setup screen for audio
4 What settings in the PS4 device setup screen for the headphones?
5 Also are you using the headphone mix in the game or not?

Rexel99
12-12-2017, 06:18
My 2c
I have the PS4 -> HDMI -> TV and a Digital optical Audio cable from TV to my 5.1 Surround system.
This works well for most everything, games, DVD/BR, Streaming/network video etc.

PC2 I find a little low, it's easily pushed up in vol a bit for a decent experience but I find my engine sound is low especially in comparison to the other cars. I lower the other car engines to around 50-60% and this balances things out for me.

speedy23
12-12-2017, 06:54
2 How are they connected

I use stereo headset connected to dualshock by jack, like I do in PC1, Assetto Corsa, and all other games.
The only one with low audio volume is PC2, with or without headphone mix or other settings changed.
The problem is not headphone or the connection type but the low volume of the game.
If I switch to TV audio (HDMI) same results.

Is to impossible to fix?

The Last V8
12-12-2017, 12:18
Good idea...some Name of these amplifiers?

The Last V8
12-12-2017, 12:35
2 How are they connected

1 I use headset HP RF824AA
2 connected directly To The PS4 joypad
3 Audio Format : Bitstream(Dolby)
4 i set ALL AUDIO with maximum volume leve
5 yes At The moment

Do i have to change anything?

The Last V8
12-12-2017, 12:40
I use stereo headset connected to dualshock by jack, like I do in PC1, Assetto Corsa, and all other games.
The only one with low audio volume is PC2, with or without headphone mix or other settings changed.
The problem is not headphone or the connection type but the low volume of the game.

Is to impossible to fix?

Perfectly agree with you :(

JohnSchoonsBeard
12-12-2017, 14:02
I've just done some basic sound measurements of Gran Turismo Sport, Project CARS 2 and Assetto Corsa from a PS4 Pro through my AV amp.

The interesting things is the three are hitting the same peak decibel level (within 1db of each other). However, the other 2 are hitting that peak volume most of the time. So I think Project CARS 2 appears to be more dynamic with bigger differences between the quietest and loudest noises.

The others are more of a consistent volume.

See Loudness Wars, Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Maybe someone from SMS can confirm/correct my findings. However I think it might be an artistic choice to have more dynamic sound. Certainly the balance in most cars is excellent now.

The Last V8
12-12-2017, 14:08
I've just done some basic sound measurements of Gran Turismo Sport, Project CARS 2 and Assetto Corsa from a PS4 Pro through my AV amp.

The interesting things is the three are hitting the same peak decibel level (within 1db of each other). However, the other 2 are hitting that peak volume most of the time. So I think Project CARS 2 appears to be more dynamic with bigger differences between the quietest and loudest noises.

The others are more of a wall of sound.

Maybe someone from SMS can confirm/correct my findings. However I think it might be an artistic choice to have more dynamic sound. Certainly the balance in most cars is excellent now.

Maybe artistic,But in simracing is Not amazing for me lower sounds...

speedy23
12-12-2017, 16:29

The others are more of a consistent volume.

I understand that using an AV amp is not a problem, but please try to connect an headphone to your Dualshock where you can not pump up the volume...

JohnSchoonsBeard
12-12-2017, 16:52
I understand that using an AV amp is not a problem, but please try to connect an headphone to your Dualshock where you can not pump up the volume...

I've been using it connected direct to my stereo headset the last few nights sat on the sofa away from the optical out 7.1 surround mini amp part of my headset. It seems plenty loud enough when I turn the volume up using the PS quick menu device option to adjust the volume on the DS4. I'm using just the headset of the Turtle Beach PX22. It took me about 3 seconds to adjust the volume from the menu. Maybe the responsiveness of the headphones makes a difference? I've got all audio settings in game at maximum.

I agree it's generally a bit lower. Still loud enough for me with a tweak. Maybe it will be adjusted at some point but it was a subject raised at times during development.

Ixoye56
13-12-2017, 10:37

Is to impossible to fix?

Same problem with Xbox, it's way to low, I have to use max settings on my headphones (Turtle Beach Ear Force Seven).

Lewy
13-12-2017, 15:27
Wonder why some people are experiencing low sound!!!
I’ve actually had to turn the master volume in game down to 40 because it’s so much louder than my other games and sky Q.
Thats running xbox set to bitstream out in 7.1 to a pioneer AV receiver at around -48db and sometimes lower than that.
Also with my turtle beach 800X (Bitstream optical out Dolby digital) it’s very loud.
So definitely no problems with the sound.

The Last V8
13-12-2017, 15:34
Only You have boosted volume...You are lucky :D

P.s. here is Ps4

xtro
13-12-2017, 18:14
I must say that I liked the sound mix better before patch 3... On a DTS headphones there was "volume" as in 3d volume to it and more separation between the engine and other sounds. Now it's louder but more flat imo

maxx69
15-12-2017, 08:49
Just recently bought the TB stealth 600's they are awesome on all games but pcars .
Game volume is way too low , if I turn up the volume the chat is too loud .
Engine sounds are hard to hear , making changing gear frustrating as frigg .

The Last V8
18-12-2017, 12:03
Just recently bought the TB stealth 600's they are awesome on all games but pcars .
Game volume is way too low , if I turn up the volume the chat is too loud .
Engine sounds are hard to hear , making changing gear frustrating as frigg .

i agree....:(

Tom_2475221
18-12-2017, 12:43
During replays (when watching trackside cams) ... can it also be that that the ferrari GT3 sound for example, has changed?
Some cars do have a better fly by sound, but when the 488 GT3 drives by, it sounds like a thin and cheap engine sound. The cockpit sound during the race does seem quite good.

Podimix
21-02-2018, 15:44
Is an improvement planned for the volume of the sound on PS4?

Podimix
21-02-2018, 15:45
Is an improvement planned for the volume of the sound?

maxx69
22-02-2018, 14:35
I'm not sure this wasn't fixed in the latest patch ???
We all had to raise our mic volumes last night .
Before the patch mic volumes were all at minimum and now are about 1/4 the way up the from the bottom.
From racing in a full lobby last night I didn't have any issues hearing my engine.

Podimix
22-02-2018, 17:59
Definitely NOT! Here's the PS4 video to compare PCARS and PCARS2 (after patch 4):

https://youtu.be/hK8hG904Ivo

maxx69
23-02-2018, 08:03
Definitely NOT! Here's the PS4 video to compare PCARS and PCARS2 (after patch 4):

https://youtu.be/hK8hG904Ivo

Forgive me for being a bit thick , but I don't see much difference in your video .
My main problem with the volumes was with voice chat /game sounds and that appears fixed .

The Last V8
23-02-2018, 08:37
nobody cares about the low volume update after update...it is a simple thing to improve but nothing...always forgot...

Is it possible not to read our complaints after spending money?

Shi
24-02-2018, 13:12
nobody cares about the low volume update after update...it is a simple thing to improve but nothing...always forgot...

Is it possible not to read our complaints after spending money?

Yep! Just like in PC1. :)

Camaro Z/28 is way to silent compared to the other Vintage GTA touring cars.

CJ1045
25-02-2018, 11:15
Really hope they fix the sound mix - at the moment the general volume is too low, especially the engine and the clunk from changing gear way too loud even with transmission volume turned right down. LFE level seems to make no difference at all either.

At the moment this is by far the biggest thing stopping me from playing the game.

CJ

Gr8_Lakes
14-03-2018, 18:12
This is my only complaint about PCars 2. So many issues have been successfully resolved, but I just don't understand, why can't SMS increase the overall volume of the game? I've tried different headsets, every possible adjustment within the game and in the PS4s settings, with no success. Volume level is much lower than PCars 1, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally, GTSport, The Crew, etc. While some don't find there to be a problem, I can speak with certainty that sound levels are frustratingly low when using wireless headsets, especially when trying to balance cars sounds with lobby chat. Please, SMS, just make the volume louder.

Georgeagea
15-03-2018, 06:24
As a PS4 user THIS is my biggest issue with this game.
The volume is just too low, too low. Sometimes I struggle to hear the car.

I use cockpit mode (not helmet). I use USB headphones output and a Kingston Hyperx cloud 2 headphones. Max volume on headset, in ps4 sound menu, and in game all at max.

When I play PC2, I go max sounds all the way to start hearing the car.
When I switch to assetto corsa or dirt rally, I have to reduce volume level to about 60% to get same volume level as max on PC2. At 80% assetto or dirt would blow my ears.

Please fix it. This is an immersion breaking factor.

jaredinhouston
15-03-2018, 14:51
As a PS4 user THIS is my biggest issue with this game.
The volume is just too low, too low. Sometimes I struggle to hear the car.

I use cockpit mode (not helmet). I use USB headphones output and a Kingston Hyperx cloud 2 headphones. Max volume on headset, in ps4 sound menu, and in game all at max.

When I play PC2, I go max sounds all the way to start hearing the car.
When I switch to assetto corsa or dirt rally, I have to reduce volume level to about 60% to get same volume level as max on PC2. At 80% assetto or dirt would blow my ears.

Please fix it. This is an immersion breaking factor.

This is a big issue for me as well. PCars 1 I would have to volume turned down halfway on the TV or PS Gold headphones. Now on Pcars2 TV full blast and still struggling to enjoy the sounds previously enjoyed in PCars1. Many of the patches have fixed alot of things so that is good. Just one more for sound please.

Bealdor
21-03-2018, 09:35
Just wanted to inform you that the devs are actively looking into this.
Here's an extensive dev post explaining the situation:

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I was unaware of this thread.

The reason the output level on PCARS2 is low is due to it conforming to the PS4 loudness standards.

For those who speak 'techno-babble' the standard states that the LKFS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LKFS) should be at -24 (+/-2), the standard is designed (in theory) to stop users constantly having to change volumes when switching games or from console to TV, etc. - in theory it's sound (pardon the pun), and the measurement was kind of designed to increase dynamic ranges in games (difference between quietest and loudest segments) because it allows you to have short 'loud' sections without maxing the reading. However - for racing titles it's not so good, because you have a constant very loud sound - the engine, meaning we had to reduce the overall gain.

Could I ask what headphones you guys are having issues with (so I can get some to test with) - it appears there might be a few issues:
1) Loudness (you'd like to be able to increase the volume beyond the current max)
2) Voice-chat / game mix (you need a method of setting this - be that just by changing the game mix up or otherwise).

I'll look into what we can do to fix the issue, without falling foul of the standards, breaking the game, etc. - I promise nothing though as the final decision will be out of my hands and given patch release schedules it may take time to reach you even then.

In terms of the other points / issues raised on this thread:

What does the "Extra LFE" do...

It takes a mix of the 7.0 main speaker feeds (the internal mix is 7.1), passes this through a filter (to roll off high-frequencies above 80Hz) and adds that into the LFE channel.
The extra LFE processing only occurs for 5.1 and 7.1 output modes.
The default value is 25 because that represents what was preset before we exposed the feature in a patch.
If you're hearing distortion on headphones with this turned up that would mean the headphones are taking a 5.1 or 7.1 signal from the PS4 and then recombining that, including the .1 somehow.

The distortion might indicate that the headphones can't handle that amount of bass, because effectively turning it up will increase the bass in the output signal or it could be due to some kind of other processing weirdness (if it's not volume breakup) - again if you could let me know what headphones you're using hopefully I can get a pair and test here.

What settings do these have (any settings in the PS4 menus?), can you select what the audio mix going to them is - e.g. stereo / 5.1 / etc.
One thing to try would be doing Settings -> Sound and Screen -> Audio Output Settings -> Primary Output Port : Set this to Digital Out (Optical)
Then with no options ticked (Dolby/DTS/AAC) your output is stereo, also set the Audio Format (Priority) to match - linear PCM being stereo.
You can also try by forcing the primary to HDMI out of the PS4 to send as 5.1 and see if that helps - internally the game will process the various output modes differently somewhat from the headphones built in downmix.

If you're outputting stereo, selecting "headphone mode" in game will have an effect - you might find this a preferable virtual 7.1 downmix to that built into your headphones. A lot of 7.1 downmixes are designed from a movie standpoint - assuming that most of the action/audio is going to be towards the front of the scene.

Differences between versions (PC/PS4/XB1) for audio...

Other than the volume standardisation (also applied on XBox / in their standards) the main difference would just be the encoding format used for assets - PS4 and XB1 use their platform proprietary encoding (frequency domain based stuff - similar to MP3) and PC uses ADPCM (no decidcated hardware decoders on PC and memory isn't as much of an issue). However some of the newer car engines (using the granular REV engine) should be identical across platforms.

Paul Scargill
21-03-2018, 09:40
Hi Bealdor / all,

Thanks for that, I'll look into what's possible. (However as in the above - the final decision will be out of my hands).

FreefallRLC
21-03-2018, 10:23
Easy solution would be to increase the engine sound in all views by maybe 20%. Especially hood view (which I prefer) is way to quiet and sometimes cockpit even louder, makes no sense.
I havenīt followed the forum lately; are there any plans/time for a new patch again?

Paul Scargill
21-03-2018, 18:52
We have a patch in development (5.0), which is pretty much nailed down (may take some time to get to users though due to the various QA testing, platform testing, etc. it has to pass through before finding itself in the wild).
Any fix would be in a following patch if released.
I'm looking into adding some extra volume gain for the console versions (so the current 100 would be lower number on the scale allowing some volume increase).

xtro
21-03-2018, 23:47
I tested disabling Dolby DTS AAC (the checkboxes) optical out with a wireless Stealth 700 headphones and the sound is definitely louder and also better.. thank you for the tip!

Raklodder
22-03-2018, 12:14
Just wanted to inform you that the devs are actively looking into this.
Here's an extensive dev post explaining the situation:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ps4-overall-volume-still-too-low.362365/page-10#post-12251920

simsimsheree
22-03-2018, 19:07
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ps4-overall-volume-still-too-low.362365/page-10#post-12251920

This post still fails to address why other games (including PC1) are FAR louder on phones. And fails to explain why this issue that has been widely reported for 6 months is excused with "I was unaware of this thread".

There are times when we console players aren't sure anyone is listening..!

Perhaps the mods can put his advice (which seems to help) in a 'sticky' in this PS4 forum?

Gr8_Lakes
23-03-2018, 01:34
We have a patch in development (5.0), which is pretty much nailed down (may take some time to get to users though due to the various QA testing, platform testing, etc. it has to pass through before finding itself in the wild).
I'm looking into adding some extra volume gain for the console versions (so the current 100 would be lower number on the scale allowing some volume increase).

This is such good news! Thank you for trying to help!

itonz
23-03-2018, 06:52
I tested disabling Dolby DTS AAC (the checkboxes) optical out with a wireless Stealth 700 headphones and the sound is definitely louder and also better.. thank you for the tip!

TB Recommended

xtro
23-03-2018, 17:32
TB Recommended

Thank you man! I was just testing something.. I get a small hissing sound in Dolby mode and slightly less volume. The non dolby version sounds cleaner to me.

cb_racer
23-03-2018, 18:54

Hi Paul, I'm not an expert in sound engineering but, in my limited knowledge, increasing the overall sound wouldn't solve the problem where I can hear the engine sound of the car racing next to me better than the sound of my own car. Am I right?

Alfisti
23-03-2018, 19:06
Gotta be honest, I have never had an issue,. it's plenty loud to me, i found PCARS1 TOO loud, had my TV volume set to 1 of 50 in PCARS1 and it was too loud for others sleeping. I have it on 2 for PC2 and it's good.

simsimsheree
23-03-2018, 19:38
Gotta be honest, I have never had an issue,. it's plenty loud to me, i found PCARS1 TOO loud, had my TV volume set to 1 of 50 in PCARS1 and it was too loud for others sleeping. I have it on 2 for PC2 and it's good.

The issue being discussed is HEADPHONE volume. TV volume is just fine.

Alfisti
23-03-2018, 21:16
Oh. Again tbh it's plenty loud for me.

Zaskarspants
24-03-2018, 09:52
Hi Paul, I'm not an expert in sound engineering but, in my limited knowledge, increasing the overall sound wouldn't solve the problem where I can hear the engine sound of the car racing next to me better than the sound of my own car. Am I right?

Have you explored the audio adjustment options? Your solution is there.

Paul Scargill
24-03-2018, 15:51

Hi,

You can adjust the player car vs opponent car volume in the audio options.
However - can you be more specific as to which car you're in, what your audio settings in game are, which camera mode and what audio output settings are on the console, what you're listening to it on.

1) It could just be some content that needs fixing - e.g. a specific car is just quiet that we need to fix in the mix, hence knowing which car helps us track it down also what the opponents are (e.g. same class race, mixed class with X,Y,Z etc.)

2) It helps if we know what your ingame audio output settings are (player car volume, opponent volume, etc.)

3) The mix is changed for different views but if there's some issue where you're just not getting any output when in cockpit etc. (especially for mid/rear-engined cars) then it might suggest there's some issue with the audio output - sometimes soundbars, etc. report to the PS4 that they can handle 7.1 but don't take all channels equally.

4) You can test the above point by setting a different output mode and testing, we do a downmix internally based on what the console tells us it's outputting:
In the PS4 settings - Sound and Screen -> Audio Output Settings do the following:
For 7.1 output: Primary Output Port, select HDMI out (click on it), then ensure that "Output 5.1ch Audio" isn't ticked, select OK
For 5.1 output: Primary Output Port, select HDMI out (click on it), then ensure that "Output 5.1ch Audio" is ticked, select OK
For stereo output: Primary Output Port, select DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL), then ensure all the bitstream formats Dolby Digital 5.1ch, DTS 5.1ch, AAC are not selected (no ticks), the select OK.

There's no need to restart the game for these to take effect, however we only poll the output settings every 15 seconds for a change so you might need to wait a few seconds for the output to change.

If one of these modes works but others don't then there could be some weirdness with your output (e.g. reported number of channels vs number it has).

I've been doing some testing using the Sony Gold Headset (the old version), note - one thing confused the hell out of me, because it's not overly apparent... There's a volume mix control on the headset (marked Sound / Chat), which allows you to control the mix of the voice chat and game, however there doesn't appear to be any dedicated system settings for doing this otherwise, say if you're not using a headset or if you just have some standard headphones plugged into the controller. The headset balance control can reduce the game output level you hear - in fact at the extreme end of the scale (max chat end) it seems to switch off the game output all together.

Also worth mentioning if you have a Sony headset:
Go onto the Playstation Store and download the Headset Companion App - I'm unsure if they ever update the firmware on the headset dongle but this could help - it allows you to upload 'profiles' which appear to just be a simple EQ setting (bass, mid, treble) - these seem to get uploaded (I imagine to the USB dongle, but possibly to the headset) - setting it to 'flat'/default did seem to change something in the output tone.

Note that when using USB headphones the system still outputs to the method set in the output settings (whereas when you plug in some headphones to a controller it detects stereo and the game will respond), so for this pair I'm testing with the downmix appears to be happening at the system level then sending stereo to the headset, I'm waiting on confirmation from Sony as to the behaviour of the new Gold and Platinum headsets - e.g. do they send 7.1, though I'll probably grab a pair to test on.

I'm still investigating upping the overall level as a potential fix.

I'm also looking into giving some extra range to the LFE extra gain control, plus actually increasing the range of frequencies that get passed to the LFE channel.
Note that the DTS and Dolby bitstreams the .1 LFE channel in those modes is frequency limited, whereas for 7.1 PCM I don't believe that's the case.

flatspunout
25-03-2018, 07:10
4) You can test the above point by setting a different output mode and testing, we do a downmix internally based on what the console tells us it's outputting:
In the PS4 settings - Sound and Screen -> Audio Output Settings do the following:
For 7.1 output: Primary Output Port, select HDMI out (click on it), then ensure that "Output 5.1ch Audio" isn't ticked, select OK
For 5.1 output: Primary Output Port, select HDMI out (click on it), then ensure that "Output 5.1ch Audio" is ticked, select OK
For stereo output: Primary Output Port, select DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL), then ensure all the bitstream formats Dolby Digital 5.1ch, DTS 5.1ch, AAC are not selected (no ticks), the select OK.

Hi Paul, what settings would you recommend for "7.1" headphone users? Does the 7.1 output work the same even though it isn't a true 7.1? Using optical and the headphones support Dolby, Digital EX, and Pro Logic IIx. They aren't USB (have an AC powered base unit) so volume is fine, just looking for the best experience. Thanks!

Paul Scargill
25-03-2018, 19:16
Hi Paul, what settings would you recommend for "7.1" headphone users? Does the 7.1 output work the same even though it isn't a true 7.1? Using optical and the headphones support Dolby, Digital EX, and Pro Logic IIx. They aren't USB (have an AC powered base unit) so volume is fine, just looking for the best experience. Thanks!

Using optical will only give you max 5.1 output.

I can't recommend one output over another - if the downmix/virtualisation is done on the device then it will vary based on the manufacturers implementation, so it will come down to personal preference to some extent.

If you're using headphones though it's worth trying the game's in-built 7.1 virtualization, to activate it - set the console output to stereo (so primary output device = optical, then no Dolby, DTS, AAC bitstreams ticked) then from the in-game audio options select "Enable Headphone Mix" to "On".

As they say - your mileage may vary, but try it and see, at least it gives you an option which you may prefer.

flatspunout
26-03-2018, 02:29
Using optical will only give you max 5.1 output.

I can't recommend one output over another - if the downmix/virtualisation is done on the device then it will vary based on the manufacturers implementation, so it will come down to personal preference to some extent.

If you're using headphones though it's worth trying the game's in-built 7.1 virtualization, to activate it - set the console output to stereo (so primary output device = optical, then no Dolby, DTS, AAC bitstreams ticked) then from the in-game audio options select "Enable Headphone Mix" to "On".

As they say - your mileage may vary, but try it and see, at least it gives you an option which you may prefer.

Thanks for the tip! I actually stumbled into it by accident after I posted, just changing settings to see (hear) what happened. With the settings you recommended (previously had Dolby Digital 5.1ch ticked) the sound is definitely thicker and the surround effect seems more pronounced. Virtual 7.1 > Virtual 5.1 imagine that :)

cb_racer
26-03-2018, 19:08
Hi,

You can adjust the player car vs opponent car volume in the audio options.
However - can you be more specific as to which car you're in, what your audio settings in game are, which camera mode and what audio output settings are on the console, what you're listening to it on.

1) It could just be some content that needs fixing - e.g. a specific car is just quiet that we need to fix in the mix, hence knowing which car helps us track it down also what the opponents are (e.g. same class race, mixed class with X,Y,Z etc.)

2) It helps if we know what your ingame audio output settings are (player car volume, opponent volume, etc.)

3) The mix is changed for different views but if there's some issue where you're just not getting any output when in cockpit etc. (especially for mid/rear-engined cars) then it might suggest there's some issue with the audio output - sometimes soundbars, etc. report to the PS4 that they can handle 7.1 but don't take all channels equally.

Thanks for your response! I will try the balance of mine vs opponent.

I always use a Sony Gold Headphone (both the new and old versions), helmet cam.

I will make notes when I'm playing to remember the exact scenarios, but one I remember was the BMW Stanceworks at Road America. The opponents car was way louder than mine. Everyone in the same car.

UkHardcore23
28-03-2018, 11:00
I cannot get my sub working with PCARS 2 any ideas Paul? Other racing games are fine like Dirt Rally, AC, GTS and other titles im playing just now Wildlands, Fifa 18, Res Evil 7 all work fine as well but as soon as PCARS 2 goes on it's as if the sub dies and get no sound from it. It's got to be an issue with the game rather than the sub if it works for other games right? Been through numerous settings in game but to no avail.

Zaskarspants
28-03-2018, 11:51
I cannot get my sub working with PCARS 2 any ideas Paul? Other racing games are fine like Dirt Rally, AC, GTS and other titles im playing just now Wildlands, Fifa 18, Res Evil 7 all work fine as well but as soon as PCARS 2 goes on it's as if the sub dies and get no sound from it. It's got to be an issue with the game rather than the sub if it works for other games right? Been through numerous settings in game but to no avail.

Are you saying the subwoofer is not doing anything, like it is turned off or saying that the bass level in the game is too low for you?

My sub works down to 20Hz when I tested it and it is certainly working in pcars2.

UkHardcore23
28-03-2018, 12:56
Are you saying the subwoofer is not doing anything, like it is turned off or saying that the bass level in the game is too low for you?

My sub works down to 20Hz when I tested it and it is certainly working in pcars2.

Basically barely any noise comes from it, I have the amp putting all sound below 80HZ going to it and i like to play games LOUD so like the other titles it should shake the walls but going from game to game once you put pcars2 in it's like a switch going off.

Do you have the PS version as well?

Zaskarspants
28-03-2018, 14:04
Basically barely any noise comes from it, I have the amp putting all sound below 80HZ going to it and i like to play games LOUD so like the other titles it should shake the walls but going from game to game once you put pcars2 in it's like a switch going off.

Do you have the PS version as well?

Yes I know this is the ps section but I do not recall any disparity noted in the past between platforms.

I have not compared pcars2 a/b to any other titles but I find the bass very authentic. A few months ago I did play a bit on dirt4 and dirt rally and I don't recall they had any more bass than pcars.

edit - all I can suggest, and you have probably done this if you can, is to use any equalizer functions your amp / sub may have to increase the levels to suit your preferences.

UkHardcore23
28-03-2018, 14:53
Yes I know this is the ps section but I do not recall any disparity noted in the past between platforms.

I have not compared pcars2 a/b to any other titles but I find the bass very authentic. A few months ago I did play a bit on dirt4 and dirt rally and I don't recall they had any more bass than pcars.

edit - all I can suggest, and you have probably done this if you can, is to use any equalizer functions your amp / sub may have to increase the levels to suit your preferences.

2 different sound cards/chips between the 2 consoles. Yeah equalizer is not the issue hence i already have anything below 80hz going to the sub.

Paul Scargill
29-03-2018, 14:22
The actual output to the LFE channel is low but there is some present, turning up "LFE Extra Volume" may help.
Note that there's sometimes a difference between LFE channel (Low Frequency Effect) and sub-woofer output, your amp may route some of the lower-frequency main signal to the sub-woofer depending on settings.

If we put out a future patch then I should be able to increase the LFE Extra Volume gain range.

jaredinhouston
29-03-2018, 16:45
Having decent sound equal to or better then PCars 1 with the same exact set up on TV shouldn't have to resort to changing numerous settings and fiddle with nonstop just to make it sound good.

UkHardcore23
29-03-2018, 18:37
The actual output to the LFE channel is low but there is some present, turning up "LFE Extra Volume" may help.
Note that there's sometimes a difference between LFE channel (Low Frequency Effect) and sub-woofer output, your amp may route some of the lower-frequency main signal to the sub-woofer depending on settings.

If we put out a future patch then I should be able to increase the LFE Extra Volume gain range.
Sure im running the LFE at 100 already i'l have a look when on tonight. Also il change anything from 120hz downwards to the Sub as well instead of 80hz see if that helps although that could make the speakers too tinny.

Cano Motorsports
06-09-2018, 12:30
is this problem still not resolved?? can someone update on this?

UkHardcore23
10-09-2018, 18:44
is this problem still not resolved?? can someone update on this?

Will be testing tonight but im pretty sure SMS would be shouting about it if the sound was sorted.

donkey racer
11-09-2018, 09:27
has anyone been for a hearing test recently
after playin pcars for a few yrs now with headset on full volume maybe were all going deaf lol

UkHardcore23
11-09-2018, 09:43
has anyone been for a hearing test recently
after playin pcars for a few yrs now with headset on full volume maybe were all going deaf lol

PCARS is defo a low volume game, I need to play it late at night with Astro A50's and need it at full volume. If i put another game on i get the fright of my life with just how loud it is compared to PCARS 2 especially AC and that intro i jump right out my skin!