PDA

View Full Version : PS4 Pro / HDR issues

breyzipp
22-09-2017, 13:47
I found some issues on my PS4 Pro running the game in HDR, already posted it in another thread :

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51143-PS4-Pro-enhancements&p=1357698&viewfull=1#post1357698

Sessionerror
22-09-2017, 14:00
HDR issues on standard PS4 here as well. Not only the videos look washed out or if some kind of filter was applied, also in game everything looks washed out and dark. Disabling HDR in PS4 settings gives much better visuals.

breyzipp
22-09-2017, 14:23
HDR issues on standard PS4 here as well. Not only the videos look washed out or if some kind of filter was applied, also in game everything looks washed out and dark. Disabling HDR in PS4 settings gives much better visuals.

Euh the actual racing itself was fine for me, I was just doubting it the picture was HDR or not.

Update on the dark showroom - I went back to my XBox One to compare, the same dark showroom is there so I guess that's not really an issue but rather a design choice and can be ignored.

breyzipp
22-09-2017, 21:31
After playing a bit more, I really think HDR itself during driving is working. On an evening race on Snetterton the skies looked so great I think this could only be done with HDR on. The thing is probably that during clear daytime the difference between HDR or not cannot be seen very well because of the sheer brightness of the sun.

GenBrien
22-09-2017, 21:54

there is no HDR on the normal PS4, only the PRO

edit: seems there is HDR now, my bad

Dev Nibor
22-09-2017, 23:32

Incorrect, the standard PS4 can output HDR. Just no 4K

Sessionerror
23-09-2017, 00:34

Like Dev Nibor said...since firmware 4.0 a standard PS4 is capable of HDR output. I'm still suffering from described problem, I'm on a samsung UE43KU6409 by the way. So I have disabled HDR for now.

Calibrating HDR didn't seem to help. Or does anyone has any kind of hints for the in-game calibration? ;)

zr1chris
23-09-2017, 06:16
I noticed this as well. Looks extremely faded. It only seems to be on the intro video. Gameplay looks fine.

amazed
23-09-2017, 06:24
Like Dev Nibor said...since firmware 4.0 a standard PS4 is capable of HDR output. I'm still suffering from described problem, I'm on a samsung UE43KU6409 by the way. So I have disabled HDR for now.

Calibrating HDR didn't seem to help. Or does anyone has any kind of hints for the in-game calibration? ;)

I calibrated by going extreme left in the HDR in game calibration screen, then right until the two squares matched.

Only have a problem on intro video, gameplay looks great.

LeMansIndy500
24-09-2017, 01:40
I posted it in the thread in the link above but I'll post here as I'm not sure which thread gets read more often.

When I'm in HDR during night races the sky looks more like a dark grey than black. I can also see silhouettes of trees, trackside objects in the very far distance, and even the layout of the track ahead (almost as if I was racing under a full moon). If I turn HDR off the sky is pitch black and I can't see anything outside the coverage of my headlights, which to me is more realistic. Just wondering if everyone else has the same experience in HDR as me or whether I have some settings to fiddle around with?

solocapers
24-09-2017, 11:03
I posted it in the thread in the link above but I'll post here as I'm not sure which thread gets read more often.

When I'm in HDR during night races the sky looks more like a dark grey than black. I can also see silhouettes of trees, trackside objects in the very far distance, and even the layout of the track ahead (almost as if I was racing under a full moon). If I turn HDR off the sky is pitch black and I can't see anything outside the coverage of my headlights, which to me is more realistic. Just wondering if everyone else has the same experience in HDR as me or whether I have some settings to fiddle around with?

Its likely that your TV isn't very good at displaying HDR content so blacks can look washed out. It could also just be the settings on your TV isnt calibrated properly.

HDR content on a good TV can show huge varying degrees of darkness which your TV probably isn't capable of hence the whole image looks washed out. When displaying non HDR content the levels are closer together and you get what appears to be a more uniform 'darkness'. However you are losing out a lot of details in the blacks by that process ofcourse.

Do you mind me asking which model of TV you have?

Sum Dixon-Ear
24-09-2017, 12:00
I doubt very much if the TV is at fault TBH. I use a 65" Samsung 9000 Series which is calibrated to perfection and has a picture that is simply astonishing when viewing 4K/HDR content, the picture is washed out on this game and this game alone.

solocapers
24-09-2017, 12:10
Fair enough, I cant notice the same issues in game on my TV with HDR turned on although any videos shown within the game (ie intro to career mode) is very washed out with HDR turned on.

Im guessing because that content wasn't mastered in HDR.

Seems to be a lot of odd bugs in this game.

LeMansIndy500
24-09-2017, 13:16
Its likely that your TV isn't very good at displaying HDR content so blacks can look washed out. It could also just be the settings on your TV isnt calibrated properly.

HDR content on a good TV can show huge varying degrees of darkness which your TV probably isn't capable of hence the whole image looks washed out. When displaying non HDR content the levels are closer together and you get what appears to be a more uniform 'darkness'. However you are losing out a lot of details in the blacks by that process ofcourse.

Do you mind me asking which model of TV you have?

Thanks for your reply. I've got a 49 inch LG UH668v model. I'll be honest I'm not too sure what settings I'd need to adjust to help improve the picture.

solocapers
24-09-2017, 13:42
Thanks for your reply. I've got a 49 inch LG UH668v model. I'll be honest I'm not too sure what settings I'd need to adjust to help improve the picture.

Well if going by the other fella, he's having a similar issue it might not be the TV causing it. Hold out and see if a patch comes.

Does other games look washed out in dark scenes using HDR?

Patrickb1973
24-09-2017, 16:09
HDR is definitely not xorrectly implemented, with HDR turned off on the console it is indeed black night and with it on its more greyish. I hope it gets fixed. Also an HDR off ingame would be usefull to some

middle finger
24-09-2017, 18:52
I mentioned it in other thread and apparently lowering in game brightness helps.

LeMansIndy500
24-09-2017, 20:56
Well if going by the other fella, he's having a similar issue it might not be the TV causing it. Hold out and see if a patch comes.

Does other games look washed out in dark scenes using HDR?

I can't say I've noticed it with other games to be honest, but I haven't played many HDR related games. Hopefully it is the way the game is and not my TV!

LeMansIndy500
24-09-2017, 20:58
HDR is definitely not xorrectly implemented, with HDR turned off on the console it is indeed black night and with it on its more greyish. I hope it gets fixed. Also an HDR off ingame would be usefull to some

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Hopefully a patch will fix it. I tried to take a screenshot as well but with the capture gallery not capturing in HDR I can't show anybody exactly how it looks.

LeMansIndy500
24-09-2017, 20:59
I mentioned it in other thread and apparently lowering in game brightness helps.

I might try that as I hadn't thought about it. Hopefully it won't make the daytime look too dark as well.

breyzipp
25-09-2017, 20:42
It seems the PS4 Pro (while running significantly better than my XBox One) has some issues with draw distances in certain conditions.

1) Driving a slow road car (think it was the Audi S1) with a big rear view mirror inside on Hockenheim short. You really see the grand stands (first the people, then the stand) disappear in your rear view mirror as you take that last turn and drive over the start/finish line.

2) Driving the Renault Megane Trophy R 265 on COTA national (or whatever the shortest one is called). If you come out of the zigzag section you see a long armco barrier being built up straight in your face.

3) A few days ago I saw the LOD of a Ford F-150 RTR Funhaver pop 1 grade lower about 20 meters in front of me. That was doing a Road G race at Texas Road Course while taking the last turn just before coming back on the oval section.

Sum Dixon-Ear
26-09-2017, 00:15
If you're having issues with HDR/brightness while driving; turn on Post Processing. For me without PP it looks like I'm driving on a wet Wednesday in Wigan.. with it on it's beautiful iridescent colours and full radiance.

breyzipp
26-09-2017, 06:22
If you're having issues with HDR/brightness while driving; turn on Post Processing. For me without PP it looks like I'm driving on a wet Wednesday in Wigan.. with it on it's beautiful iridescent colours and full radiance.

Hmm I think that was on by default if I'm not mistaken.

The brightness issue is not while driving, it's in 3 other areas :

1) all the in-game cut scene and intro videos are way too washed out / bright colors. It's nothing like that on my XBox One (no HDR).
2) The garage showroom is way too dark. Yesterday for a split second when I looked at the showroom I saw the showroom load normally and then less than half a second later it became much darker.
3) When I take photos with the in-game photo mode, they look much brighter when I view them later as compared to when I took the photo. Here is am example from yesterday :

photo 1 - this is taken with the PS4 share button after hiding the UI of the in-game photo editor:

photo 2 - this is taken right before or after the previous photo with with the exact same settings and using the in-game save photo (X-button I think it was) also with the UI hidden :

So both photos should be exactly the same in regards to how the image looks (PS4 share seems to save at higher resolution than in-game save).
I copied both files from the Image Gallery to USB stick and then uploaded them here.
I believe I used an extra filter, either the one called "transfer" or else "blockbuster", not sure if that means anything.
So the screenshot taken with the PS4 button is exactly what I saw on my TV screen. The one saved from within the game is what I now see when I go in-game to my image gallery and view the photo. There is obviously something wrong with the colors when the games saves my photo. Or, it doesn't show on screen what it is supposed to be showing so both the PS4 and me got confused.

Now the weird thing, this does not always happen. Yesterday I took a screenshot where it did look normal. That was without any filter applied (no transfer or blockbuster, but none). I don't know if the filters are the cause of whats messing up the photo saves.

breyzipp
26-09-2017, 06:24
And this is a photo of the intro video I took on my PS4 Pro while it was playing the intro video (captured with the PS4 share button).

I have seen at least 1 other youtube video from a streamer where when his Ginetta proving grounds cut scene played, it was just as washed out as well.

On my XBox One that Ferrari looks normal red as it should be.