PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy

major sunscreen
22-09-2017, 20:25
I'm a big fan of PC 1 and still play it most days. I also still remember how awfully bugged out it was at launch. I gave codies f1 2017 a miss because that has just dropped off the cliff with the amount of bugs that has and so I've been hanging out for PC 2 launch hoping that with the budget and history that these guys have for this release, combined with their obvious passion, that this was gonna be a good bug free launch. So far looking at the forums I can see very little to be concerned about ( the ffb stuff is easily solved by a bit of creative googling and patience in understanding the system). So- should I buy or not? Is it better than 1? Are ai times in the wet accurate or are they just as fast as on slicks in the wet? Are times single player scripted or not? Are ai drivers consistent in who comes 1st 2nd 3rd etc or is it random like in PC 1? Thanks in advance and I'm wishing all who worked on this success because it's a real fight you guys have had to get to this point, and PC 1 ultimately has turned out to be a wonderful package.

Ixoye56
22-09-2017, 21:15
I always wait a month or two before I play a new game, I will start playing F1 2017 now instead, while waiting for the worst bugs to be fixed in this game, it's a good strategy to avoid unnecessary frustration.

Trippul G
22-09-2017, 21:49
I'd give it a miss right now, tbh, and wait for a sale. I was quite happy with PC1 and have continued playing it right up until yesterday. I came in after most of the bugs had been sorted, features had been patched, and proper settings had been figured out.

I'm honestly kind of wishing I had done the same with this one. I think there's a foundation for a very good game there, but I'm not looking forward to all the trial and error to getting things dialed in just right all over again, and the frustration of having to wait for certain features or bugs/issues to be patched.

If you can wait, and are happy with PC1 for the time being, stick with it. Save some money, and pick up PC2 in a few months when it's cheaper and the majority of things have been sorted.

PPPMAT
22-09-2017, 22:20
I played a lot of Pc1 and Pc2 in my opinion isn't as good on Xbox one. The graphics are a downgrade from pc1 and the sounds are bizarrely quiet. It has the basis of a great game but I think it needs the x to make it shine so I'm out until that drops. On a powerhouse pc I'm
Sure it's amazing but I have accepted that the one just hasn't got the juice to do it justice.

P.s f1 2017 has its flaws but it's a damn good game! Just sayin

likeshampoo
22-09-2017, 22:46
100% agree with the others. The game really isn't up to standard and seems to fall short in most aspects compared to PC1 for me. Got a refund for my copy. I'll just wait till it's been out for awhile and goes on sale

Methadone Man
22-09-2017, 22:49
It appears to have some serious bugs. You should check the other threads to see what me mean.

Just Another Frog
23-09-2017, 02:14
I've put in nearly 15 hours and from an XB1/controller perspective there has been nothing whatsoever that i am even remotely concerned about regarding the overall quality of what i spent my money on. I do agree that the handling isn't as fluid as that of PCars 1 and car movement can feel a bit floaty due to the FFB, but those are resolvable issues and in no way constitute "serious bugs".
At the end of the day though it's your money and your choice. You can take advice from people with the ability to judge the entire content of the game in two hours flat prior claiming a refund (and subsequently posting the obligatory half a dozen comments as to why they did and why everyone else should do the same as them) or you can browse through the forums and reach a conclusion from comments made by more knowledgeable members who can give a much better insight into the pros and cons of PC2.

Itsdoomsday48
23-09-2017, 04:15
Game is 90% unplayable for me. Racing line does not work at all. FFB settings vary greatly from car to car. Engine noise for cars goes from extremely loud to almost a whisper. I've had multiple times already where before an event in the pits my wheel jerks violently before I've even pressed the start button. Some cars, like the Ford Fusion stock cars handle so poorly you wonder why they even put them in the game in the first place. I get jittery actions from the FFB when going it a straight line, can almost never keep the car going straight. So far after one long night of tweaking and practice, this game is a massive disappointment.

I mean they couldn't get something as simple as a functional racing line to work, even through 50% of a track

bluesky0870
23-09-2017, 04:35
I am really not known as being uncritical or even a fanboy of SMS. I critized them in a harsh way sometimes for the first part of PCars and I still would do so.

But even I have to admit that PCars2 is in a far better shape than its predecessor ever was.
After I have tweaked some settings here and there the game is real fun to drive.

The AI behaviour is a huge step forward. It acts cautious but not shy. I was playing PCars2 nearly the whole day yesterday and l haven't noticed any start crash chaos with a number of 24 cars on the grid (even at Oulton, where to start clean in PC1 is nearly impossible).

Surely there are some bugs and flaws, like:

- some smaller kind of tearing here and there
- the faint sound (on TV Soundsystem, TV internal speakers as well as on a AKAI highend stereo system). Its master volume is even more underaveraged loud than Fifa17, which was the most underaveraged master volume I've ever noticed.
The engine sound of the Z4 GT3 disappears after every restart too.
- Some tracks and environments look pale and empty compared to PC1 or other racing games (due to framerates I guess), but the cars are modelled and designed well.
- the setup save system is a bit odd and laborious, but it works (at least for now).
- leaderboards on the first sight are still rudimentary
- race help line is in front of some corners missing or more confusing than helpful.

But all these flaws are far away from being unplayable or inacceptable and there is nothing that couldn't be fixed.

Some people suffer from wheel and ffb problems, what is the most annoying point and I really hope for them that this issue will be solved within the nearest future and without breaking any other setting.

As you can see from my last sentence I am still in doubt or afraid of due to the experience of PCars1, but I definitely have to admit that SMS have done a lot of things right and that the whole game is a huge step forward in gameplay. When it comes to graphic, it is not as impressive as PC1 was, but the game runs stable and for me this is way more important than a shiny but stuttering game.

A lot of stuff like the AI, the penalty system, the track limits is positively overhauled. The weather is working fine and a highlight aside of the number and variety of cars and tracks.

For me honestly the game finally is what the first part of Project Cars ever wanted to be and especially should have been on consoles.
All that by bearing in mind that it is an impression of maybe 8 to 10 hours at day one.

But the game is in good shape and worth the money this time.

major sunscreen
23-09-2017, 07:50
Thanks all for taking the time to leave your thoughts. Much appreciated. Please do feel free to continue to update as the game shakes down. I'm an Xbox user so hope that it's not been downgraded too much from pc. Perhaps it time to make the break to pc as I use that for most other games (arma3 etc). It'll be a shame because I've got a g920 for xbox. As some have pointed out, further research required before I make my decision. Again, thanks all.

nissan4ever
23-09-2017, 08:04
I've only driven the formula rookie & Nissan GT-R GT3. I haven't noticed any problems with the car audio. Keep in mind that I'm using Turtle Beach Elite 800X headsets.

I also haven't experienced any negative issues with my Thrustmaster TX wheel.

I haven't experienced any grid position issues (I've been doing career & offline races). When ending qualifying early, before the session has ended.

For me, this game is epic & I've enjoyed it thus far. Way better than PC1 IMO.

bluesky0870
23-09-2017, 08:54
I've only driven the formula rookie & Nissan GT-R GT3. I haven't noticed any problems with the car audio. Keep in mind that I'm using Turtle Beach Elite 800X headsets.

I also haven't experienced any negative issues with my Thrustmaster TX wheel.

I haven't experienced any grid position issues (I've been doing career & offline races). When ending qualifying early, before the session has ended.

For me, this game is epic & I've enjoyed it thus far. Way better than PC1 IMO.

The Z4 is the only car that is loosing its engine sound. But it is reproducible every time you restart a session. Here an example:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au2H7ccVN1nthi-DENZY6VJf1YhS

The timing but seems to happen only in quick races. I intentionally skipped my qualifying sessions in career mode and there it hasn't happened so far.

nissan4ever
23-09-2017, 12:34
The Z4 is the only car that is loosing its engine sound. But it is reproducible every time you restart a session. Here an example:

The timing but seems to happen only in quick races. I intentionally skipped my qualifying sessions in career mode and there it hasn't happened so far.

I'll do a race in the Z4 later this morning & I'll report back to you. I'll restart a session multiple times.

Ronald0505
23-09-2017, 12:36
Do NOT buy... yet... I've throwed the game on the shelf and I will get it when all the issues are fixed!

nissan4ever
23-09-2017, 14:09

Yes, when you restart session in the Z4. The engine is silent. I was at Long Beach in Free Practice.

When I did second restart in a row, engine sound was back.

UPDATE It seems to follow this pattern for me. Hear engine. Restart session, no engine sound. Restart session again, hear engine. Restart session again, no engine. Restart session again, hear engine.

major sunscreen
24-09-2017, 15:33
Further thoughts- I think on reflection I might wait on getting this. Looks like the ffb issue is pretty bad and people are reporting problems with career saved and also qualifying timings suddenly getting better by 12 or so seconds once they've finished qualifying. Can someone confirm the qualifying times are not scripted and this is a bug?