PDA

View Full Version : Project Cars 2 Oculus Rift Feels Blurry

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 01:14
Hey Guys!

I don't know whether it is me or this is how it is but the game feels like its blurry on the Oculus I have the other sims (Raceroom, AC) and I do not have that problem there. No matter what settings I've changed it just feels very Blurry. I've checked whether it is the lenses made sure I have the right position in the headset so that is not the issue. My Specs are

Amd R5 1600
Msi 1080Ti Twin Frozer
16 Gigs DDR4 3200
Game running on SSD
Windows 10 64

I've tried super sampling as well from 1.5 with High MSAA or 2.0 with Medium MSAA. I've tried FXAA and SMAA and they seem worse. It just feels really blurry

Edit:
I have Motion Blur Turned off btw :D

Can anyone help me out here to solve this issue. Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

davidtriune
23-09-2017, 03:38
did you restart game after changing any of those? sometimes it doesn't say to but you have to. i don't think it's that bad if you max supersample and add a little MSAA. supersampling should theoretically give you more detail, while the other methods should make it blurrier so I suggest max SS with low everything else.

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 03:41
ya i did restart the game every time i change settings. if you compare the game to AC for example its alot blurrier i think its the MSAA or something thats doing that am not sure

RomKnight
23-09-2017, 03:47
You using helmet cam or cockpit cam?

Helmet cam has another parameter (depth of field) that you might want to disable.

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 03:50
Am using the cockpit Cam, after alot of testing it seems like only MSAA works on VR. FXAA and SMAA doesnt seem like it is doing its job alot of jaggies.

Morgan Henstridge
23-09-2017, 03:50
If it gets blurier the faster you go, that is 100% the Helmet FOV setting that RomKnight has mentioned.

I am running MSAA on Medium with the Rift, and I am not seeing any bluring.

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 03:54
Hey Morgan

as mentioned earlier i dont use the helmet CAM, the game just looks very bland comparing to AC for example. I've tried to max out everything just to see if it is just the settings am using no changes to be honest. my system is capable of pushing it.. my other question did you try FXAA & SMAA does it work for u ?

RomKnight
23-09-2017, 03:56
I'm on VIVE but I've used MSAA medium, SS 1.4 and never noticed those issues.

Can we even enable FXAA/SMAA in VR?

/edit

I actually use pretty much the same settings everywhere really.

About SS there's a point where's not worth it anymore wrt to IQ vs performance and can actually get worse effects or so I read somewhere

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 03:59
if you set AA on OFF you'll have the options to use Post processing FXAA & SMAA but am not sure if it works to be honest

Morgan Henstridge
23-09-2017, 04:01
I think you can enable the other AA options in VR if you first disable MSAA and also maybe the Super Sampling??

I haven't tried the other methods in a while as i settled on MSAA with Super Sampling gave the best results / performance in all my previous testing.

RomKnight
23-09-2017, 04:01
Never even tried... But I recall something about it and MSAA did a better job IIRC. (maybe it was on monitors..)

You can try though and report back :)

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 04:14
well I've tried the FXAA & SMAA and it doesnt seems like it works in VR

Morgan Henstridge
23-09-2017, 04:16
Can you grab a screenshot from Shadowplay that may show exactly what you are trying to describe??

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 04:50
Hello Morgan

how can i capture an image it is on VR. the monitor image looks fine

Morgan Henstridge
23-09-2017, 04:56
I believe the monitor is just an extra output from the framebuffer, so the game is not touching the image after that....

If its fine on the screen, is it just the lower resolution / closer viewing of the headset??

Maybe try the headset in a different output on the GPU just to be 100% sure??

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 04:59
the monitor image looks like how your playing the game without VR. crisp 1440P image :) i also noticed for example on the Grid the car next to me is nice sharp but when you look infront of you the cars look blurry (standing start) it feels like the depth of field is off although am not using the helmet cam

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 05:06
Hello Morgan

i kinda found an example of what am talking about if you look at this guys video at 1:09:54 if you look at the green car infront of him how blurry it is thats what am saying in VR but image how bad its going to look in VR :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3R4Jgyze-E&t=1440s

RomKnight
23-09-2017, 05:13
Check if you have Bloom enable. Also try to disable god rays.

Problem in VR and bright over dark stuff that creates that "halo"...

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 05:17
Should i have Bloom OFF or ON? Godrays are off

RomKnight
23-09-2017, 05:23
I'd say OFF

But it's a wild guess this. I think I only disable lens flare and it's OK.

Chad711
23-09-2017, 07:19
Yes I agree it's much more blurry then AC is. Today I was trying out some custom FFB settings for PC2 and I wanted to see how the same car felt on the same track in AC using the FFBClip app and the first thing i noticed was how much more clear AC is then PC2. The dash and such looks good but anything that is more than 10-15 feet away from your bumper is just way too blurry. For example look at any of the braking zone markers on any track in AC and PC2. You cannot even make out the numbers on them in PC2 until you are driving very slow/braking.

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGc1mbFFGkY

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 08:26
Hey Chad

so it is not just me :) you said try this try what? I've seen his video and he uses everything on low with 1.0 sampling i dont even know how he plays like that its a blurry mess on 1.0 unless your talking about camera near clip plane. i dont know what it does

Chicken Patty
23-09-2017, 08:57
Same here, image quality in VR is just pretty terrible. I have to try some of the suggestions on here but I did bump up some settings and everything still looks blurry. I can barely make out corners coming up. The screen looks fine, it's just through the headset. Very poor image quality unfortunately.

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 09:12
Hey man

let me know if you can come up with something, this game is a huge step up when it comes to driving but the VR experience is just turning me off from it. I cannot go back to screens after VR

Gloomy
23-09-2017, 10:06
I've noticed various settings don't always take affect while in vr. Might be it's showing in the menus that you changed stuff but it's not actually affecting the game. I've had to do multiple resets, even resetting my pc to get some stuff to work.

The game looks pretty good on high settings in vr, I'd say better than or atleast on par with assetto, minus some graphical stuff like weird shadows or fences flashing. No more blurry than the average vr game.

Chicken Patty
23-09-2017, 18:50
Tried some of the suggestions in here to no improvement. :(

Rich_hard1
23-09-2017, 19:08
Disable motion blur. Donít use the SS setting in game, leave that at zero, turn off any Anti aliasing, use oculus tray tool for SS, to anything between 1.3 to 1.9 depending on your GPU.

kofotsjanne
23-09-2017, 21:15
Disable motion blur. Don’t use the SS setting in game, leave that at zero, turn off any Anti aliasing, use oculus tray tool for SS, to anything between 1.3 to 1.9 depending on your GPU.
Whats wrong with the SS option in game and what is the advantage by SS trough OTT?

Chad711
25-09-2017, 18:01
Hey Chad

so it is not just me :) you said try this try what? I've seen his video and he uses everything on low with 1.0 sampling i dont even know how he plays like that its a blurry mess on 1.0 unless your talking about camera near clip plane. i dont know what it does

Sorry I meant watch that video he gives an idea of what settings do for VR. Some of his settings are not recommended since it's preference. However here is a nice guide that someone did that you might find useful if you haven't seen it already.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13vH7xrVdCUdYgy4M3uJ0Vx-9TH_JMSeTbsl3_5Ex9OQ/edit#gid=0

finagle69
25-09-2017, 18:07
I don't think the in game SS works. For me, if I change it and restart, it's back to zero. Use Debug tool or Oculus Tray Tool to SS.

CoolSpy
25-09-2017, 18:26
It's horribly blurry in VR (I have a VIVE). If you own a VR headset, don't buy this game until the image quality gets to Assetto Corsa or iRacing level! PC2 lacks "sharpening" and also the ability to run at high supersampling while still maintaining 90 fps like in the other 2 sims

MiKeAhOwSkI
25-09-2017, 18:42
It seems Hellfiend has found a solution.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52585-whoever-is-having-Vr-performance-issues-try-this

I will be trying this tonight as I also suffer from poor image quality on my rift.

Purg
25-09-2017, 22:35
Supersampling doesn't seem to do anything on my end. Whether it's set to 1 or 2, same clarity. Other games there's a notable difference when ss is applied.

tennenbaum
25-09-2017, 22:48
Supersampling doesn't seem to do anything on my end. Whether it's set to 1 or 2, same clarity. Other games there's a notable difference when ss is applied.

After quitting the game and restarting it, it will show the difference. Though even with a 1080ti OC SS set at 2.0 might result in a 45 fps outcome. Check fps with Oculus debug tool.

Chad711
26-09-2017, 00:15
Yeah I'm wondering if 45 fps is worth the trade from 1.2 SS. My fps go to a firm 45 at 2.0 to 55-90...mostly 90 at 1.2 on my 4770k and 1080 gpu.

RomKnight
27-09-2017, 22:31
I have 1.4 on my HW. Dunno if I'm getting 90FPS but it's being smooth as butter so far.

I wish I could get msi:A or any overlay in VR showing that :(

Purg
27-09-2017, 23:02
After quitting the game and restarting it, it will show the difference. Though even with a 1080ti OC SS set at 2.0 might result in a 45 fps outcome. Check fps with Oculus debug tool.

Have done that. At 1.0 I get 90fps, at 2.0 I get ~30fps so it appears to be set. Other games I can see a marked difference when SS is applied, in PC2 I simply can't tell the difference.

I have anisotropic at x16, perhaps it's doing it's job for a change and SS isn't as necessary as in other games.

Chicken Patty
28-09-2017, 00:21
I messed around with my settings quite a bit and didn't notice a change, even after restarting. BUT, I can see so much better now, like either I got used to it, or the changes needed a few more restarts to take effect. I actually can't drive worth a damn without VR now.:p

sherpa25
28-09-2017, 00:50
I have 1.4 on my HW. Dunno if I'm getting 90FPS but it's being smooth as butter so far.

I wish I could get msi:A or any overlay in VR showing that :(

You can use Oculus Tray Tool (by ApollyonVR), and temporarily open the Performance Hud to test and check performance while on track.

BTW, what do you guys have in your NVidia Control Panel and/or Inspector?

pastranario3
28-09-2017, 03:09
Hey Guys!

I don't know whether it is me or this is how it is but the game feels like its blurry on the Oculus I have the other sims (Raceroom, AC) and I do not have that problem there. No matter what settings I've changed it just feels very Blurry. I've checked whether it is the lenses made sure I have the right position in the headset so that is not the issue. My Specs are

Amd R5 1600
Msi 1080Ti Twin Frozer
16 Gigs DDR4 3200
Game running on SSD
Windows 10 64

I've tried super sampling as well from 1.5 with High MSAA or 2.0 with Medium MSAA. I've tried FXAA and SMAA and they seem worse. It just feels really blurry

Edit:

Can anyone help me out here to solve this issue. Your suggestions are highly appreciated.
Hi. What is BTW?

Aldo Zampatti
28-09-2017, 03:14
Hi. What is BTW?

BTW= By The Way.

msmith792
28-09-2017, 04:18
Reloaded the game yesterday. No real improvement. I do notice that at 1.0 I can run mid to high settings and get 90fps. This is with i5-4690k and gtx1080.

If I run anything above 1.1 I can't hold 90fps unless I run low on most. Maybe this is how it should be. Not sure. Every other game I've run allows for high supersampling to improve aliasing and visuals. Maybe project cars can't. Dunnp

Chad711
28-09-2017, 18:06
Something I noticed is how much more blurry it is if you are in a car with a windshield. There is this dirt film look to it that will not go away. I have dirt on screen turned off too. If you get into a formula car it looks better. I will say however this game overall is MUCH more blurry then AC or any other racing game I have tried, Dirt Rally, iRacing, etc. So with it being newer then those and a staple in the VR gaming community I am a little disappointed by this. Part of it is the focus of what is clear is very very small. Only in the very center of the lens is it clear. That isn't the case with AC.

BTW I'm using a Oculus Rift.

Stocky
30-09-2017, 16:10
Z97K, 4690K, 1080 GTX, Oculus CV1.

Ran Project Cars 1 with a 970 GTX with all low options, no MSAA, SS 1.0. Though not the best graphics, it wasn't terrible. With those settings, it ran at 45fps ASW all the time, with overheads in the negatives (-50% to -200%).

Now with Project Cars 2, I've upgraded to the a 1080 GTX. With the same settings, no MSAA, SS 1.0, my overhead is now +30% to +50%, and it runs at a solid 90fps with no ASW.

Honestly, the graphics don't look as good as Project Cars 1 at this equal comparison. I've added in MSAA and/or SS and although the graphics do improve a little, I still find it more blurry or grainy, as compared to Project Cars 1. It feels like my headset isn't sitting well on my head, but that's not the case, it's not the headset, something is just off.

Project Cars 1, 970 GTX, everything low, no MSAA, SS 1.0, 45fps ASW (big negative overhead) = Looked ok.
Project Cars 2, 1080 GTX, everything low, no MSAA, SS 1.0, 90fps no ASW (40% positive overhead) = Looks worse (more blurry and/or grainy, somethings off).

Could it have something to do with ASW, since that seems to be the only difference in comparisons?

Could it be possible, that since I played Project Cars 1 for years with the Oculus in ASW mode, now that I'm seeing 90fps without ASW for the first time, it doesn't look as good because ASW is better?

Back to testing again today.

Chad711
30-09-2017, 16:40
Z97K, 4690K, 1080 GTX, Oculus CV1.

Ran Project Cars 1 with a 970 GTX with all low options, no MSAA, SS 1.0. Though not the best graphics, it wasn't terrible. With those settings, it ran at 45fps ASW all the time, with overheads in the negatives (-50% to -200%).

Now with Project Cars 2, I've upgraded to the a 1080 GTX. With the same settings, no MSAA, SS 1.0, my overhead is now +40% to +50%, and it runs at a solid 90fps with no ASW.

Honestly, the graphics don't look as good as Project Cars 1 at this equal comparison. I've added in MSAA and/or SS and although the graphics do improve a little, I still find it more blurry or grainy, as compared to Project Cars 1. It feels like my headset isn't sitting well on my head, but that's not the case, it's not the headset, something is just off.

Project Cars 1, 970 GTX, everything low, no MSAA, SS 1.0, 45fps ASW (big negative overhead) = Looked ok.
Project Cars 2, 1080 GTX, everything low, no MSAA, SS 1.0, 90fps no ASW (40% positive overhead) = Looks worse (more blurry and/or grainy).

Could it have something to do with ASW, since that seems to be the only difference in comparisons?

Could it be possible, that since I played Project Cars 1 for years with the Oculus in ASW mode, now that I'm seeing 90fps without ASW for the first time, it doesn't look as good because ASW is better?

Back to testing again today.

Try a formula car with clear conditions. Does it look better? I think so and that makes me believe there is this film of dirt on the windshields of cars which makes VR look more blurry then it should.

Stocky
30-09-2017, 16:48
I will try that today while testing again.

But, I have tested this in cockpit, roof, and chase cams, so if it was the windshield, it shouldn't be blurry in the other views, no matter the car????

Unless the same conditions that are applied to the windshield, are applied to all views?

Chad711
30-09-2017, 16:55
I will try that today while testing again.

But, I have tested this in cockpit, roof, and chase cams, so if it was the windshield, it shouldn't be blurry in the other views, no matter the car????

Unless the same conditions that are applied to the windshield, are applied to all views?

No then it wouldn't matter if you have changed views and don't feel it's better quality outside the windshield.

Stocky
30-09-2017, 17:25
Tested FA & FC in all views, and compared it to GT3 at the same track in all views, and the blurriness/graininess didn't change.

It's almost like Project Cars 1 had a sharpness filter, and Project Cars 2 doesn't.

Or is ASW is that good? (see post #44)

I tried forcing ASW on through Oculus Tool, but it seems PCars 2 overrides it. Has anyone figured out how to force it on?

BrainsBush
30-09-2017, 17:44
Have you also played with the 'visuals settings'? E.g. Interior Sun flare off, Heat haze off, Crepuscular rays no, Vignette no?
Hope it helps?

Stocky
30-09-2017, 18:28
They are all set to the lowest or off, for testing purposes. Those are the settings I used in PCars 1 anyway, so this keeps my comparisons equal.

Just tested ASW, and that's not it.

I did test Texture Filtering though, and saw no difference between any of them.

If Texture Filtering wasn't working properly in VR, could that cause everyone to think the sharpness is off, as most of these posts suggest? I'm sure everyone is comparing sharpness, at some distance, and isn't Texture Filtering based off distance?

Texture Filtering could be the Vive's issue as well?!

It's like Texture Filtering is turned off in VR, or barely noticeable. Anyone else?

mexz
30-09-2017, 19:16
Something is off, obviously. It's really hard to read Brake sign etc. that's where you really notice it. Ingame SS doesn't seem to help. I need to test Oculus debug tool SS.

Corsa911
30-09-2017, 19:18
The blurring in CV1 is so bad I started looking into it and ended up here.

I will also do some testing today to see if there is a tolerable workaround because as it stands, it's very off putting.

FWIW this is the only sim I run with this issue.

4790K 4.8ghz / 16gb 1866 / 980ti SLI (disabled) 1523mhz / Win 10

I also get the strange GPU light show when starting the game but that's a different thread.

Stocky
30-09-2017, 19:36
Something is off, obviously. It's really hard to read Brake sign etc. that's where you really notice it. Ingame SS doesn't seem to help. I need to test Oculus debug tool SS.

Tried that today as well. I didn't notice a difference between Project Cars Sampling versus Oculus Tool sampling.

Stocky
30-09-2017, 19:39
I've seen many posts related to Vive issues about clarity as well. I wonder if these are connected.

Guybrush Threepwood
30-09-2017, 20:06
I seem to get better frame rates using the debug tool SS. Initially I thought it gave me better clarity too. But having fired AC back up, on the whole it doesn't look as good, but the track is much sharper. In PC2, it seems anything past 50m away is a bit pixelated. The cockpit looks great though, as does everything outside the car close up.

I also play a lot of Elite Dangerous, and that's looking amazing these days in terms of clarity.

Stocky
30-09-2017, 20:14
I agree. I'm not sure if it starts getting bad at 50m, or a few car lengths, but it does drop off drastically.

PCars 1 didn't do this.

xeek
30-09-2017, 20:15
Something that I think makes this issue worse are the reflections on the windscreen. Even with reflections on low it is still very bad.
For example in the Bentley GT3 which I am driving right now, it has a carbon fiber cockpit and you can see the reflections all over the windscreen. It makes the picture more blurry IMO.

I haven't driven open wheelers much but my guess is that its much better with them.

CoolSpy
01-10-2017, 03:09
I would say anything past 20m ahead of the car is very blurry. The devs need to fix it, but I have a fear it is intentional in VR mode to keep the perfs from being even worse than they are right now!

Stocky
01-10-2017, 14:23
After talking to a few of the guys in my league last night, this issue doesn't seem to be just VR.

It's much more prominent in VR, but several guys were complaining in TS3, and they all said the same thing, the graphics look blurry and/or grainy, as compared to Project Cars 1.

whip
01-10-2017, 14:24
looks normal to me, msaa will blur the image slightly buts thats to be expected

Rob Olejniczak
01-10-2017, 14:33
When I set world movement to 100 the view out the windshield is blurry. With it set to zero it is much more clear. That's why I think tilt and pitch should be separate settings than world movement.

Topsie
12-10-2017, 19:21
Hey Guys!

Amd R5 1600
Msi 1080Ti Twin Frozer
16 Gigs DDR4 3200
Game running on SSD
Windows 10 64

Edit:

I'm totally in the same boat as you and its driving me nuts. I've tried everything so far with no joy.

tennenbaum
12-10-2017, 22:08

I tested it. There is no difference if you use oculus debug tool to set SS or in-game setting.

tennenbaum
12-10-2017, 22:41
When I set world movement to 100 the view out the windshield is blurry. With it set to zero it is much more clear. That's why I think tilt and pitch should be separate settings than world movement.

Hhm, your finding is very interesting, yet a bit confusing. I checked it many times, and if i'm correct, the world movement slider works the other way round: Set it to 100 and you get less movement - and less blurry-ness. Set to zero the cars "moves" around you. Everything seems to be more shaky and wobbly. That's why i wondered if SMS just mixed up the scale. However, it might be a "relative" thing, what refers to what.

So to make myself clearer, if i set world movement to zero there is relative camera movement between me being the drivers eye and my cars' cockpit. In other words, the car shakes/moves around myself as a driver, while world movement set to zero there is no relative camera movement between me and the cockpit. The latter feels more realistic and plausible to my taste (in VR), because IRL you - planted rigidly to your car in the driver seat - are getting "moved" the same way as your car. So only no to little relative movements between you and your cockpit. In other words, your car/cockpit doesn't wobble around you no matter how bumpy the drive is.

But - and here it gets interesting in terms of more or less crispness of the VR experience - as said before, if you turn world movement to 100 (car doesn't wobble around you) you gain crispness, instead of getting more blurry-ness. It doesn't make a big difference but one you can notice (even if the cars stand still, at start for example.)

I'd be interested in if you can reproduce my test.

whip
12-10-2017, 23:09
i don't find it blurry personally, compared to iracing it is because iracing has a nice sharpening option, my only gripes are as i pointed out before, the headlights are too taxing and the flashes every now and then

morpwr
13-10-2017, 00:59
Is it my imagination or does super sampling do absolutely nothing regardless of where you set it. I even tried doing it in steam and I don't notice any difference which would explain the issues. Normally going from 1.0 to 1.5 would be super obvious and I don't really see any difference.

Worst part is its obvious how good it could look if it was just a little clearer.

morpwr
13-10-2017, 01:36
I'm totally in the same boat as you and its driving me nuts. I've tried everything so far with no joy.

Same thing here. It seems you can make it worse but it doesn't get noticeably better like every other sim I have.

Boneboys
13-10-2017, 10:32
This might help, if you are using a Nvidia GPU.
I posted this on another Forum...

Tried & tested in Nvidia Control Panel 3D Settings.

These two have helped most in sustaining 90 FPS (+ or -).

Texture filtering negative lod bias set to clamp
Multi frame sampled AA = on
Also (as noted) Texture filtering quality = High Performance

I believe the clamp setting helped with image sharpness, in any case these are the settings I use.

https://i.imgur.com/CKshB9W.png

Excuse my French :frog:

Might help, might not.

tennenbaum
13-10-2017, 15:50
Is it my imagination or does super sampling do absolutely nothing regardless of where you set it. I even tried doing it in steam and I don't notice any difference which would explain the issues. Normally going from 1.0 to 1.5 would be super obvious and I don't really see any difference.

Worst part is its obvious how good it could look if it was just a little clearer.

Hhm, i can confirm that SS changes clearly show a difference. I wrote something about where the problem may lie here:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55084-Supersampling-in-Steamvr-now-works-)&p=1394989&viewfull=1#post1394989

pCars2 VR doesn't deliver -even at its best VR settings- significantly more "crispness", less blurry-ness, or call it whatever. But that's rather due to the resolution limit of the HDMs. Though i feel the over -all-VR-impression in pCars2 is a better than in AC and pCars1. All in all VR in pCars2 is the topping for me on the capucino, and i hardly race in 2D any more.

tennenbaum
13-10-2017, 15:54
Did anybody experience a different VR impression / quality after the latest nVidia driver update? I'm always a bit hesitant to update while my games run properly...

demaarten
13-10-2017, 20:42
This might help, if you are using a Nvidia GPU.
I posted this on another Forum...

Tried & tested in Nvidia Control Panel 3D Settings.

These two have helped most in sustaining 90 FPS (+ or -).

Texture filtering negative lod bias set to clamp
Multi frame sampled AA = on
Also (as noted) Texture filtering quality = High Performance

I believe the clamp setting helped with image sharpness, in any case these are the settings I use.

https://i.imgur.com/CKshB9W.png

Excuse my French :frog:

Might help, might not.

Did anyone test this one out? The weekend is hard for me to get into the gaming rig because of the kids around :)

demaarten
13-10-2017, 20:47
BTw, I do not know If I can post a link to an other forum (reddit). But this guy tried something. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/73vpbo/i_found_a_way_to_sharpen_project_cars_2/

and here again:: https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/73vq7n/i_found_a_way_to_sharpen_project_cars_2_in_vr/

hope it helps

TheHeathen
13-10-2017, 21:53
Did anyone test this one out? The weekend is hard for me to get into the gaming rig because of the kids around :)

Seems to help some, but nothing drastic.

demaarten
17-10-2017, 18:18
Ok, I have found the best solution so far. Antialiasing is best like this. MSAA medium in game and MFAA enabled in nvidia controll panel. All other settings are at medium to high. I have the most clear visuals pissible now. Strange thing is: MSAA is at medium. But if I open Nvidia inspector. Is says 2x Multisampling. I thought 2x is low, 4x is medium, and 8x was high?

Texture filtering is at high quality in nvidia controll panel, but in game it is at trilinear filtering

Lod negative bias is at clamp. But I also changed the value to -0.875. (I do not know if Clamp overrides this).

This gives me the best clear image during day time. (Very nice at Red bull ring during the day). Nightime is still not very sharp. And I have shimmering on the reflections of the car in the dark. No AA is working for that. (TSAA should do a better job I think).

and off course I have Supersampling at 1.4 in game. (makes huge difference off course)

donaldbond
17-10-2017, 18:41
Ok, I have found the best solution so far. Antialiasing is best like this. MSAA medium in game and MFAA enabled in nvidia controll panel. All other settings are at medium to high. I have the most clear visuals pissible now. Strange thing is: MSAA is at medium. But if I open Nvidia inspector. Is says 2x Multisampling. I thought 2x is low, 4x is medium, and 8x was high?

Texture filtering is at high quality in nvidia controll panel, but in game it is at trilinear filtering

Lod negative bias is at clamp. But I also changed the value to -0.875. (I do not know if Clamp overrides this).

This gives me the best clear image during day time. (Very nice at Red bull ring during the day). Nightime is still not very sharp. And I have shimmering on the reflections of the car in the dark. No AA is working for that. (TSAA should do a better job I think).

and off course I have Supersampling at 1.4 in game. (makes huge difference off course)

Supersampling 1.4 gpu??

Thanx

demaarten
17-10-2017, 18:49
Same as you. 1080TI (OC 60Mhz and 400mhz on the memory). CPU 3930k at 4.4Ghz

donaldbond
17-10-2017, 19:15
Same as you. 1080TI (OC 60Mhz and 400mhz on the memory). CPU 3930k at 4.4Ghz

Send me Please your setting OC/game? Afterburner?
Thanx

Chad711
15-11-2017, 20:47
What is the benefits of using Trilinear over Anisotropic 16x? I've seen people use both. Is one better over the other for quality? I'm seeking quality not performance.

xWildchildx
16-11-2017, 14:17
What is the benefits of using Trilinear over Anisotropic 16x? I've seen people use both. Is one better over the other for quality? I'm seeking quality not performance.
AFAIK trilinear will be used on OpenGL only, and works as a V-Sync for it.

AOD_ZedZedski
16-11-2017, 15:50
Hey Guys!

Amd R5 1600
Msi 1080Ti Twin Frozer
16 Gigs DDR4 3200
Game running on SSD
Windows 10 64

Edit:

Have you tried turning off Super Sampling and setting MSAA to Low? I find that SS makes objects shimmering in distance and high MSAA levels make the image look blurry. Turning MSAA on Low and enabling MFAA in NVIDIA Control Panel as well as running SS at 1.0 solved the blurry issue for my Oculus Rift. I can see objects a lot cleaner and can read all signs perfectly crisp clear.

Settings I run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szWbZ988l5w&t=285s

Chad711
16-11-2017, 16:54
AFAIK trilinear will be used on OpenGL only, and works as a V-Sync for it.

I tried trilinear out and man is it blurry compared to 16x, went back to 16x.

Have you tried turning off Super Sampling and setting MSAA to Low? I find that SS makes objects shimmering in distance and high MSAA levels make the image look blurry. Turning MSAA on Low and enabling MFAA in NVIDIA Control Panel as well as running SS at 1.0 solved the blurry issue for my Oculus Rift. I can see objects a lot cleaner and can read all signs perfectly crisp clear.

Settings I run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szWbZ988l5w&t=285s

That is odd that turning SS down for you makes it look better. That is going against what SS is suppose to do. I wonder if SS is not working as intended in this game. I keep seeing a lot of people saying they see no difference in SS changes. I think I am going to try 1.0 and 2.0 today and see if I see a difference. I've always kept mine around 1.4 for FPS to stay around 90.

I saw your vid. If you move your resolution down to something smaller you will get even better performance. Might make the menu's look crappy in VR but in a race your fps will be more stable. Just a heads up. Not sure why this matters but I've tested it.

AOD_ZedZedski
16-11-2017, 17:16
I tried trilinear out and man is it blurry compared to 16x, went back to 16x.

That is odd that turning SS down for you makes it look better. That is going against what SS is suppose to do. I wonder if SS is not working as intended in this game. I keep seeing a lot of people saying they see no difference in SS changes. I think I am going to try 1.0 and 2.0 today and see if I see a difference. I've always kept mine around 1.4 for FPS to stay around 90.

I saw your vid. If you move your resolution down to something smaller you will get even better performance. Might make the menu's look crappy in VR but in a race your fps will be more stable. Just a heads up. Not sure why this matters but I've tested it.

You may entirely turn off mirrored image. But for recording purposes I use 1080p for mirrored image because the capture of the video is done from the monitor mirrored image not the VR output.

Chad711
16-11-2017, 18:02
I heard if you turn it off completely you have no mouse controls. Did that get fixed? Man your processor must do you good. Isn't the first time I have seen someone with your processor and gpu and get 90 FPS. I have my 4770k OC and my 1080 OC too and I can get 90 FPS with my settings but if i try to run my mirror at 1080 that isn't happening. Wonder if it has anything to do with multiple monitors being hooked up too.

These are my settings I run and get 90 FPS with some dips: https://imgur.com/a/3b7dn

I just tried a few different ones and in the end I couldn't really see a big difference either way. I really wish I could get more clear text in the game, like the letters on the steering wheel in GT3 cars is so blurry, I can make it out what it says but I have to focus on it. Just want cockpit to be more clear and the track in front of me. Part of it is the windshields in PC2 have this blurry/haze look to them. If you get in a formula car the game looks so much better. The detail in PC2 is great but it's just too damn blurry no matter what. Compare it to iRacing or AC and it almost hurts my eyes to go back to PC2 after using VR in the other sims. I hope SMS can make some improvements in VR.

Cannot wait for the day that VR gets much better.

AOD_ZedZedski
16-11-2017, 18:13
I heard if you turn it off completely you have no mouse controls. Did that get fixed? Man your processor must do you good. Isn't the first time I have seen someone with your processor and gpu and get 90 FPS. I have my 4770k OC and my 1080 OC too and I can get 90 FPS with my settings but if i try to run my mirror at 1080 that isn't happening. Wonder if it has anything to do with multiple monitors being hooked up too.

These are my settings I run and get 90 FPS with some dips: https://imgur.com/a/3b7dn

I just tried a few different ones and in the end I couldn't really see a big difference either way. I really wish I could get more clear text in the game, like the letters on the steering wheel in GT3 cars is so blurry, I can make it out what it says but I have to focus on it. Just want cockpit to be more clear and the track in front of me. Part of it is the windshields in PC2 have this blurry/haze look to them. If you get in a formula car the game looks so much better. The detail in PC2 is great but it's just too damn blurry no matter what. Compare it to iRacing or AC and it almost hurts my eyes to go back to PC2 after using VR in the other sims. I hope SMS can make some improvements in VR.

Cannot wait for the day that VR gets much better.

I have cockpit letters crisp clear. I can read all letters very clearly with my settings. Practically almost identical to what you see in the recording, just add the screen door effect.

Chad711
16-11-2017, 18:25
I must need glasses then because that is not clear at all lol. Look at 3:36 in your video at the word FLASH. You cannot make out the A, S or H in FLASH. Then the button at the bottom in white...who knows what that says. At 3:38 your right hand side of the wheel comes into view....not sure what any of those say. Now I'm sure the video doesn't do just as I can make out the words better than that in game but those don't look clear to me.

RomKnight
16-11-2017, 19:00
@chad711

the video is so bad due to YT compression that you'll never be able to judge anything from it. Either that or 1080p60 option is a dud :)

AOD_ZedZedski
16-11-2017, 19:08
I must need glasses then because that is not clear at all lol. Look at 3:36 in your video at the word FLASH. You cannot make out the A, S or H in FLASH. Then the button at the bottom in white...who knows what that says. At 3:38 your right hand side of the wheel comes into view....not sure what any of those say. Now I'm sure the video doesn't do just as I can make out the words better than that in game but those don't look clear to me.

YouTube compression makes the video a bit pixelated. Here is a screenshot from the original video:

https://i.imgur.com/fXkOIN5.png

AOD_ZedZedski
16-11-2017, 19:10
I can read all those letters perfectly fine in my VR headset. I was a bit surprised after I spent like a week testing various settings and then came across these settings that met my expectations and requirements. It could be also your VR headset focus settings that make it even more blurry.

Chad711
16-11-2017, 19:44
What do you mean focus settings? I use a Rift like you. Is that something I can change? I can make out my letters on the wheel but it's very blurry and it's much cleared on the mirror then it is on Rift. I know some of that is SDF but it's also quality related.

Fight-Test
16-11-2017, 19:46
What do you mean focus settings? I use a Rift like you. Is that something I can change? I can make out my letters on the wheel but it's very blurry and it's much cleared on the mirror then it is on Rift. I know some of that is SDF but it's also quality related.

Focus adjustment on the hardware

Chad711
16-11-2017, 19:47
For example here is my screenshot of what the wheel looks like in mirror and it's very clear. Not so much in VR.

edit: Thanks Fight Test, my focus settings are good, didn't know that is what he meant. Other VR games look great so I know it's not that.

https://i.imgur.com/aNbwpHt.png

Hellfiend
28-01-2018, 19:01
Gentlemen

I found a way to reduce the blurry mess in this game. The key is not to use the MSAA in the game which makes the game blurry. Use the Oculus Tool to scale it to 1.5 alot more clearer the only issue your goin to have to deal with is the flickering on the windows and stuff

Gav88888
17-03-2018, 06:41
Bit of an old post now but are people still using SS 1.0 and using MFAA in Nvidia control panel or since Patch 4 and the focus strengthening tweaks to the xml file now make these changes redundant?

I’m new to VR and still tweaking things and playing around with SS and MSAA vs SMAA Ultra etc trying to see how it all looks at various settings.

The biggest pain for me which I’m not sure if anyone else has but if I tweak SS for example and have to restart the game when it loads up again I have red lines in the rift display, so I restart it again and they go but this time everything is an odd colour and it all kind of has too much reflection, restart it again and it usually works...

It’s a right pain as the processes have to be killed in task man each time.

Anyone seen this, got any tips?

Cote Dazur
17-03-2018, 14:03
Any one feeling that it is blurry in VR should apply the new settings now available since last update, more info here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55045-Blurred-Vr-(Oculus)
It makes VR in PCars 2 as clear as in any other SIM. Nice work from the support team.

Gav88888
19-03-2018, 08:59
Fixed the red lines issue, it was because I wasn't launching Steam VR when playing PC2 (as per VR Guide) so it saved a bit of CPU but when repeatedly restarting the game (like when playing with settings) it causes issues. Just disabled Oculus home from running as admin and enabled steam VR.