PDA

View Full Version : Pcars 2 looks worse in VR than Pcars 1

teisco
23-09-2017, 02:40
Just paid a small fortune for Pcars 2 and spent six hours trying to make it look as good as Pcars 1 in VR but no luck.

Pcars 2 has much edge crawling and rainbowing on lines where as Pcars 1 has much less and looks so much better in Vr.

I have tried all settings and variations of settings but cannot eliminate the problem in VR.

System:
Cpu 5930k
Gpu 1080 ti
Ram 16 gig
2 ssd drives
Oculus Rift

Another thing, I cannot find and support email addy for Pcars and on their main website the Help button is disabled.

rss0900
23-09-2017, 04:02
I'm on rift and pc2 looks great, better than pc1 so far. our graphics cars are similiar and pc setup pretty close except processor im on a 3930k. hope you can get the visual issues resolved vr is very immersive more so now.

RomKnight
23-09-2017, 04:04
Teisco, the support is here.
It would help if you post the settings you're using too.

Rss0900 can you pass your settings to him?

Morgan Henstridge
23-09-2017, 04:05
Just paid a small fortune for Pcars 2 and spent six hours trying to make it look as good as Pcars 1 in VR but no luck.

Pcars 2 has much edge crawling and rainbowing on lines where as Pcars 1 has much less and looks so much better in Vr.

I have tried all settings and variations of settings but cannot eliminate the problem in VR.

System:
Cpu 5930k
Gpu 1080 ti
Ram 16 gig
2 ssd drives
Oculus Rift

Another thing, I cannot find and support email addy for Pcars and on their main website the Help button is disabled.

Maybe post your current graphics settings so people can see if you have anything they would do differently.

I'd be aiming for High across the board, except EnvMAp, Shadows and Reflections to low.
Medium MSAA and SuperSampling as much as your performance allows, but start at 1.4 and go up or down from there.

Also change the camera views and look around and see if you see the same issues in the different views.

Aldo Zampatti
23-09-2017, 04:58
Maybe post your current graphics settings so people can see if you have anything they would do differently.

I'd be aiming for High across the board, except EnvMAp, Shadows and Reflections to low.
Medium MSAA and SuperSampling as much as your performance allows, but start at 1.4 and go up or down from there.

Also change the camera views and look around and see if you see the same issues in the different views.

Basically what Morgan Said. But I would also experiment with POST AA SMAA in Low/med/high (with MSAA disabled). It should be a bit faster and almost same quality

Hellfiend
23-09-2017, 05:02
Hello Aldo

it seems like Post AA doesnt work in VR I've tried all options every option has alot of jaggies in VR like AA is not being used.

teisco
23-09-2017, 12:13
Thanks guys but I did try all settings and variations of those settings with the same results. It does look like the aa is not applying. Also the super sampling slider does nothing and no matter where I put it the resulting image looks the same. I wish I could take a screen shot through the VR lens but not possible.

The game looks perfect on my 4k monitor but VR is really a shimmery crawling mess.

Rss0900 could you tell me if your entering the game through Steam window or through the Oculus window,,also what Nvidia driver are you using?

teisco
23-09-2017, 18:15
I have read post in other forums saying the same thing. Pcars2 looks worse in VR than Pcars1.

Moonmatrix1
23-09-2017, 22:40
Pcars2 looks MILES better than 1. It's by far the best looking sim in VR at the moment.

Moonmatrix1
23-09-2017, 22:41
It has to be bad settings. I'm telling you I've been playing for 8 hours so far and I can't get over how good it looks.

teisco
23-09-2017, 23:22
You guys are very lucky because this is not the case for others. Can't be bad settings because I spent six hours trying them all. Even downloaded the latest drivers. It works great for some so consider yourself lucky.

RomKnight
23-09-2017, 23:40
Tried today as well as I keep seeing graphics are meh (not just in vr and admittedly maybe by the "right" persons) but still I had to give it a shot.

I have no issues wrt to IQ in VR.

If anything I only complain that i'm still not able to use for longer periods of time as before :(

dantestyle
23-09-2017, 23:52
HHey guys, I'll chime in here and say it's been pretty rubbish for me too... Very choppy even on low settings with a gtx1070 this shouldn't be happening...

Compared to Assetto corsa, or iRacing, right now it's looking rubbish.

And yet I believe others when they say it's looking really fantastic, so I feel something is going wrong.

I've tried other people's settings files, but same issue, so honestly it's not bad settings, it's something else at play.

Careos
24-09-2017, 03:43
Same as the above and OP. SDE is terrible, everything is jaggy and not well defined. White road lines have a prism effect to them slightly. Tried all mechanical adjustments to the OR as well as a plethora of them in the settings. Performance is decent, it jutters every now and then, but the main thing is the overall quality. Very strange.

i5 4690K @3.5, 16GB Ram and GTX 1070.

Slartibartphast
24-09-2017, 03:53
It’s meh for me too, I also notice also on screen jaggy thought it has a non native rez set.

Ian Bell
24-09-2017, 03:54
I have read post in other forums saying the same thing. Pcars2 looks worse in VR than Pcars1.

98% of the collated response we have is that pCARS2 looks (much) better in VR than 1, and it should as we know the effort we put in to make that so.

So we must be looking at some edge case settings issue. We'll keep a close eye on this thread.

msmith792
24-09-2017, 05:41
I've got problems too.

I5-4690K, GTX1080FTW. Supersampling above 1.3 doesn't seem to be possible to hold 90FPS. Lots of juttering and even at lower SS, the aliasing isn't good enough at high settings to eliminate or even reduce a majority of the jagged edges and flickering. There must be something going on. I don't have any PCar1 experience, but I easily SS to 1.4-1.7 with iRacing, AC and R3E.

I've spent countless hours trying to get better quality and its a blurry mess. Makes my eye fatigue really bad at this point. Hopefully, there's a simple patch or bug that's causing the issue for most of us.

Mascot
24-09-2017, 07:24
Try these tips if you are having VR performance/IQ issues:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13vH7xrVdCUdYgy4M3uJ0Vx-9TH_JMSeTbsl3_5Ex9OQ/edit#gid=0

daz1976
24-09-2017, 07:38
98% of the collated response we have is that pCARS2 looks (much) better in VR than 1, and it should as we know the effort we put in to make that so.

So we must be looking at some edge case settings issue. We'll keep a close eye on this thread.

It's great that you're reading the forums Ian and much more than most developers will do.

There's another thread on here stating similar wide variations in performance of similar rig users with settings not really having much effect, me included. Everything on low and low AA I can barely manage 90fps with just me on the track, even then with quite large stutters at times. Any cars on track and it's nowhere near. Hoping we are able to work this out as I'm impressed with the changes made from PC1 in many areas and know it'll only improve.

Daz

Attackmack
24-09-2017, 09:30
Graphics is subjective and what works for one might not do for another.
For me, as an example, visual impression is more important then a constant 90FPS and I don't mind if the Rift kicks in on the 45FPS ASW.
Im on an i7, gtx 1080ti, 16gb and SSD, using the Rift.

For what its worth though, this is the setting I use that works perfectly for me and I have no issues driving all the while enjoying a beautiful and immersive experience!
These probably can, and will, be tweaked the more I play but its what I'm currently using.

PERFORMANCE
Texture Resolution - High
Texture Filtering - 16x
V-Sync - Yes
MSAA - Medium
Super Sampling - 1.5
Reflections - Low
Environment Map - Low
Car detail - Ultra
Track detail - Medium
Pit Crew Detail - None
Shadow Detail - Medium
Enhanced Mirror - No
Motion Blur - Off
Render frames ahead - 1
Detailed grass - Off
Particle level - Medium
Particle density - Medium

VISUALS
Post processing filters - off
Exterior sun flare - Full
Interior sun flare - none
Bloom - off
Heat haze - off
Exposure compensation - 1.0
Rain drops - no
Vignette - no
Crepuscular rays - yes
Screen first - no
Cockpit mirrors - On

Ive used a 15car custom race in heavy rain test my settings and found these, FOR ME, to work wonders!

dantestyle
24-09-2017, 09:57

Hey Ian, yeah I really respect you coming on here to comment as well.

I agree, I totally believe that Pcars2 SHOULD look much better than ver. 1 and i believe it does for most. For some of us something is going terribly wrong and It's good to know you guys are keeping a close eye on it.

I'm sure all of us will keep fiddling to try and work it out if you guys can't in the meantime.

For me, I'm running a it 7700HQ - GTX1070, the game is runing off of an NVME ssd drive, and i updated to the latest version of nvidia drivers from the July version, so I can attest that both versions have the same problem being demonstrated.

dantestyle
24-09-2017, 10:35

Hey Ian, yeah I really respect you coming on here to comment as well.

I agree, I totally believe that Pcars2 SHOULD look much better than ver. 1 and i believe it does for most. For some of us something is going terribly wrong and It's good to know you guys are keeping a close eye on it.

I'm sure all of us will keep fiddling to try and work it out if you guys can't in the meantime.

For me, I'm running a it 7700HQ - GTX1070, the game is runing off of an NVME ssd drive, and i updated to the latest version of nvidia drivers from the July version, so I can attest that both versions have the same problem being demonstrated.

gs2004
24-09-2017, 10:39
Graphics is subjective and what works for one might not do for another.
For me, as an example, visual impression is more important then a constant 90FPS and I don't mind if the Rift kicks in on the 45FPS ASW.
Im on an i7, gtx 1080ti, 16gb and SSD, using the Rift.

For what its worth though, this is the setting I use that works perfectly for me and I have no issues driving all the while enjoying a beautiful and immersive experience!
These probably can, and will, be tweaked the more I play but its what I'm currently using.

PERFORMANCE
Texture Resolution - High
Texture Filtering - 16x
V-Sync - Yes
MSAA - Medium
Super Sampling - 1.5
Reflections - Low
Environment Map - Low
Car detail - Ultra
Track detail - Medium
Pit Crew Detail - None
Shadow Detail - Medium
Enhanced Mirror - No
Motion Blur - Off
Render frames ahead - 1
Detailed grass - Off
Particle level - Medium
Particle density - Medium

VISUALS
Post processing filters - off
Exterior sun flare - Full
Interior sun flare - none
Bloom - off
Heat haze - off
Exposure compensation - 1.0
Rain drops - no
Vignette - no
Crepuscular rays - yes
Screen first - no
Cockpit mirrors - On

Ive used a 15car custom race in heavy rain test my settings and found these, FOR ME, to work wonders!

Tried those settings with ASW and the other cars shimmer like crazy, as do the surroundings. Tried changing renderframes to 2 but no difference, everything becomes blurry.

Mad Al
24-09-2017, 10:43
Just a thought.. those finding things a little blurry, have you tried forcing 16x AF in the NVidia control panel ?

Boskapongen
24-09-2017, 11:00
Just a thought.. those finding things a little blurry, have you tried forcing 16x AF in the NVidia control panel ?

I was just thinking the same, i have tweaked some settings for iRacing in Nvidia panel and game got image quality impoved in VR. I am gonna try do similar changes for pCars2 and do some testing.

Settings i have for iRacing is:

Antialiasing - Transparancy 4x(supersample) (start with 2x, heavy on GPU)
Power Management - Maximum performance
Texture Filtering - High Quality

EDIT: I also noticed this value in graphicsconfigoculusdx11 file. i know amount of visible cars in VR make huge performance impact. Maybe one can try lowering this to 10 or 15 just to see.

<prop name="LimitCars" data="20" />

Morgan Henstridge
25-09-2017, 23:37
I had a little bit of random jittering on my system, and I deleted the Graphics/vr XML files from \Documents\Project CARS 2\ and restarted the game.

This put everything back to standard, and i re-entered my settings, restarted the game, and now the jittering has gone completely for me.

sherpa25
26-09-2017, 03:14
EDIT: I also noticed this value in graphicsconfigoculusdx11 file. i know amount of visible cars in VR make huge performance impact. Maybe one can try lowering this to 10 or 15 just to see.

<prop name="LimitCars" data="20" />
Weird, I don't have that line.