PDA

View Full Version : Has Xbox one reached its chequered flag?

Numbrsix
23-09-2017, 06:16
Let me begin by saying that I started playing racing games back in the days of the Amiga and Atari ST, I grew up with Geoff Crammond's GP games and have pretty much covered all racing games over the last 35 years since I built my first gaming PC at the age of 15.

Unlike some folks I loved the first project cars on the Xbox and never really got all the hate levelled at it, yes it had a few bugs but they were addressed and up until yesterday I still played it and enjoyed the racing.

So having high hopes I purchased PC2 and having now spent some time with it I have to ask has the underpowered Xbox1 been stretched beyond its means?

Like some I have noticed framerate issues on most tracks, some old some new, Spa is now unplayable down the main straight to Eau Rouge (for me) the Red Bull ring ( A1 ring for us old timers) displays slowdown on a number of corners, China etc.... It goes on.

We can't blame the Devs for aging hardware, underneath it all is I suspect a good evolution of the older game we simply don't have the machine to realise it, I am hopeful that further optimisation will come and iron these out to some degree but at present I run 13 AI cars alongside my own and it still exhibits these issues, I cannot imagine attempting to play this with 20 cars like the older game managed let alone a full field as the game allows.

Framerate has always been the mainstay of any racing game, without it any form of immersion is broken and sadly PC2 cannot seem to manage it, when the X one X arrives maybe we'll see what the game can really do, until then sadly it just teases us. To those that have complained about the graphics I noted from install the incar camera position was set too close, reduce this and it sharpens up the outside world quite nicely not to mention making the rear view mirror usable, for those with controller issues these can be tweaked very nicely so don't fret it just takes a little time to personalise/tame it.

For the Devs if there is anything more you can do to coax a little more out of the Xbox please try your best, for me purchasing the X one X isn't an issue but for the kids out there , not to mention their parents it may not be financially possible and would be a shame for them to miss out on what could otherwise be a belter of a game, very much in old Mr Crammond's ball park.

likeshampoo
23-09-2017, 08:12
I'd have to disagree with Xbox one reaching its limits. Numerous games have gotten a lot more out of the Xbox one. If you look at GTA V, it's a fully open world, lots of vehicles, npc's, other players, usually lots of carnage, etc and still runs at a decent level. Even for the Xbox 360 it was impressive. Having a game on a closed circuit with 32 cars should be able to do it with better performance.

Comparing a similar game, Forza 7 (only being able to judge by the demo), it can keep up decent FPS while keeping the resolution high. While PC2 no doubt uses a lot more calculations with the cars, add their livetrack 3.0, etc and it will be a bit more intensive but it should be able to do it all at a higher level. Its definitely not a game that efficiently uses available power. Hopefully they'll optimise it better as time goes on.

Fingers crossed with the Xbox One X coming out that its not making developers lazy with the Xbox one platform and just being satisfied with getting it to run well on that, while ignoring the current Xbox One player base.

Numbrsix
23-09-2017, 12:41
Yeah, the thought had crossed my mind that maybe the developers might consider their work done now in the knowledge performance issues should be corrected by the one X, lets hope not.

Mikke
23-09-2017, 13:02
The graphics are quite 'fuzzy' and not as sharp as what could be expected from a strong PC gaming rig, but I believe the XB1 does a respectable job and in my personal experience the frame rate drops have been few and far between.

kevin kirk
23-09-2017, 13:07
assuming it like pcar 1 some of those things can be solved by lowering the number of cars on the grid.

snipeme77
23-09-2017, 14:12
I'd have to disagree with Xbox one reaching its limits. Numerous games have gotten a lot more out of the Xbox one. If you look at GTA V, it's a fully open world, lots of vehicles, npc's, other players, usually lots of carnage, etc and still runs at a decent level. Even for the Xbox 360 it was impressive. Having a game on a closed circuit with 32 cars should be able to do it with better performance.

Comparing a similar game, Forza 7 (only being able to judge by the demo), it can keep up decent FPS while keeping the resolution high. While PC2 no doubt uses a lot more calculations with the cars, add their livetrack 3.0, etc and it will be a bit more intensive but it should be able to do it all at a higher level. Its definitely not a game that efficiently uses available power. Hopefully they'll optimise it better as time goes on.

Fingers crossed with the Xbox One X coming out that its not making developers lazy with the Xbox one platform and just being satisfied with getting it to run well on that, while ignoring the current Xbox One player base.

The problem with the two games you mentioned is the GTA was a third-party with an insanely High budget that have been in development for like 5 or 6 years I think.

Forza is using the same technology they've been using since Forza 5 that is custom-made for the Xbox One, at a first party title and they've got a budget of over a hundred sixty million dollars.

By comparison project cars 2 have to be ready in two years and it only had 10 million dollars as its budget
roughly. It's just a question of polish, money and time

Psychomatrix
23-09-2017, 16:41
The Xbox can't handle on PC2 big AI fields. So if set them to high games slow down and get Framerate drops. Even on low specs PC you can't set them to full only because the option is there. PC2 give you options that make no sense like 31 AI and thunderstorm. I run in the most cases 16 to 19 AI and then the game perform better

Boondock
23-09-2017, 17:08
The Xbox can't handle on PC2 big AI fields. So if set them to high games slow down and get Framerate drops. Even on low specs PC you can't set them to full only because the option is there. PC2 give you options that make no sense like 31 AI and thunderstorm. I run in the most cases 16 to 19 AI and then the game perform better

6 weeks roughly from the release of the Xbox X, these settings don't seem too alien.

Although i agree some people wont be able to afford the step up, really with the current culture of unknownplayer's Battlegrounds and everyone racing to future proof their rig for Star Citizen and the like, the PC community is essentially demanding the same financial investment, albeit for larger gains.

Not to mention crypto mining, driving up gfx prices.

likeshampoo
23-09-2017, 19:59
The problem with the two games you mentioned is the GTA was a third-party with an insanely High budget that have been in development for like 5 or 6 years I think.

Forza is using the same technology they've been using since Forza 5 that is custom-made for the Xbox One, at a first party title and they've got a budget of over a hundred sixty million dollars.

By comparison project cars 2 have to be ready in two years and it only had 10 million dollars as its budget
roughly. It's just a question of polish, money and time

I completely agree. I was just answering in terms of the Xbox One reaching its performance limit with PC2 and giving examples of games that are bigger or similar in scale and can do it with better graphics/ performance. I think PC2 can definitely extract more of both from the Xbox One. Like you said, its just a question of polish, money and time.

Numbrsix
23-09-2017, 20:57
Oddly I decided today to run a wet race, same number of cars as a dry race (13 AI plus mine) and being honest I did this to see how bad things could get given the framerate issues on dry tracks and low and behold as strange as this sounds I'm almost certain it ran as well if not better in the wet than it does in the dry.

Now this could be down the the fact your having to concentrate more so don't notice it but given I expected a slide show I was taken aback at how well it ran, if they can polish this then it might turn out better that expected.

chrisjaf
23-09-2017, 23:09
6 weeks roughly from the release of the Xbox X, these settings don't seem too alien.

Although i agree some people wont be able to afford the step up, really with the current culture of unknownplayer's Battlegrounds and everyone racing to future proof their rig for Star Citizen and the like, the PC community is essentially demanding the same financial investment, albeit for larger gains.

Not to mention crypto mining, driving up gfx prices.

games not 4k hdr so xbox 1x wont make a bit of difference

Psychomatrix
24-09-2017, 01:55
Eventuell if it not run native 4k on the X it should be run higher res than on the one/s

r_outsider
24-09-2017, 01:57

4K is only the start of the benefits of the X. The new console has WAAAYYY better hardware, even running at 1080 users should see a substantial performance upgrade. Ian Bell even said in an interview HERE (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/project-cars-2-on-xbox-one-x-will-look-significant/1100-6452387/) One X users will get better performance than all but high end PC users. I don't see how it can't run better.

nissan4ever
24-09-2017, 07:41
assuming it like pcar 1 some of those things can be solved by lowering the number of cars on the grid.

Yes, grid size & weather does play a big factor into frame rate. I did personally put a lot of time in on PC1 trying to find that happy medium with grid size & weather. You might as well forget running a full grid size on tracks that can have very large grids. Frame rate will be down, period.

On PC1, I found that you could run grids of 23 in clear weather & around 17 in the rain. That won't be the case here. Both will have to be lower on PC2. Far more intense on the CPU with Live Track 3.0. Later today I will start to find the good grid size based on conditions like in PC1 on Xbox One S.

I really don't see Xbox One X having problems with this game. PS4 Pro is 60 fps all the time expect in bad weather. Then it dips to 58. According to digital foundry. So with that said & Xbox One X is definitely way more powerful than a PS4 Pro. There's no reason why I won't have an awesome smooth experience with the X come November when I get it.

When you have a game that's as complexed as this. It is what it is based off what a consoles limitations is. In that video from digital foundry. Xbox One & Xbox One S frame frate is easily the lowest when the game engine is really working. Period. For me & many others. When we get the Xbox One X. This game will be running smooth. Even better than what the PS4 Pro can do based off that digital foundry stress test.

nissan4ever
24-09-2017, 07:45

Well, PC2 on Xbox One S is dynamic 1080p HDR. With that said, Xbox One X will be some higher resolution & HDR.

nissan4ever
24-09-2017, 07:48

Yes sir!

nissan4ever
24-09-2017, 07:56
Comparing a similar game, Forza 7 (only being able to judge by the demo), it can keep up decent FPS while keeping the resolution high.

Decent fps? You do know that FM runs at a locked 60 fps all the time right? Whether it was on Xbox 360 or Xbox One. Achieved on FM2 through FM5 with none dynamic baked backgrounds & no night or rain. FM6 saw baked night & none dynamic baked rain to achieve this. For FM7 they've really got there engine extremely optimized & has dynamic rain & keeping it a locked 60 fps.

I'm personally no longer interested in FM. But I know for a fact that it runs at a rock solid locked 60 fps.

FIA
24-09-2017, 08:17
Yes but FM has no where near the amount of things going on in the background, like tyre physics, handling physics and live track 3.0,
these are using hole cores and more just for them, and the game on the rest of the cores.

breyzipp
24-09-2017, 08:45
I think the standard XBox One can still hold it's own near the PS4 Pro and the X1X soon.

I bought PCARS 2 for both the XBox One and PS4, I got a 2015 1TB XBox One standard and a PS4 Pro. Sure the game looks and plays better on the Pro, but guys it's not like it's totally unplayable or unbearable on the XBox One. There are always websites out there, comparing one game on different hardware, making side by side videos of all hardware. If you put all that garbage aside and just enjoy current gen games on the XBox One, things are really not that bad.

Forza Horizon 3 looked absolutely amazing on the standard XBox, PCARS 2 does look really great as well. Dirt Rally was just wow! And even Dirt 4 looks and plays absolutely great. Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 1 all look great on it. Sure if you do start with the side by side comparison videos, if you go look up endless series of videos on Digital Foundry you will end up thinking it's the biggest crap out there. All wrong, it's a fine console. Game developers will tailor their new games in such a way that it still works on the standard XBox One as well.

If you have an XBox One and some spare money, sure I would recommend upgrading to the X1X soon, I'm doing the same thing as well. If you want to buy a new console right now I would only recommend the PS4 Pro or X1X as well. But the standard X1 is not dead yet. For that to happen the true next gen consoles have to be out first (PS5, XBox Two?)

FIA
24-09-2017, 09:02
XBox Two??, id say xbox 4, as the name xbox "one" was just a name thay used as one box for everything

Ixoye56
24-09-2017, 09:06
I took a decision yesterday and pre ordered an Xbox X for delivery at release :D

breyzipp
24-09-2017, 09:31
I took a decision yesterday and pre ordered an Xbox X for delivery at release :D

cheers mate! :)

TKMSte66
24-09-2017, 10:26
Oddly I decided today to run a wet race, same number of cars as a dry race (13 AI plus mine) and being honest I did this to see how bad things could get given the framerate issues on dry tracks and low and behold as strange as this sounds I'm almost certain it ran as well if not better in the wet than it does in the dry.

Now this could be down the the fact your having to concentrate more so don't notice it but given I expected a slide show I was taken aback at how well it ran, if they can polish this then it might turn out better that expected.

I assume that with less viability means less cars in view and less scenery. Plus the res can probably be dropped a bit. Strange though as I would expect it to be worse in the rain.

Yes the Xbox one is having a hard time now but I honestly think it's the game is just not optimised as well as others.

Pisshead30
24-09-2017, 11:59
I think the standard XBox One can still hold it's own near the PS4 Pro and the X1X soon.

I bought PCARS 2 for both the XBox One and PS4, I got a 2015 1TB XBox One standard and a PS4 Pro. Sure the game looks and plays better on the Pro, but guys it's not like it's totally unplayable or unbearable on the XBox One. There are always websites out there, comparing one game on different hardware, making side by side videos of all hardware. If you put all that garbage aside and just enjoy current gen games on the XBox One, things are really not that bad.

Forza Horizon 3 looked absolutely amazing on the standard XBox, PCARS 2 does look really great as well. Dirt Rally was just wow! And even Dirt 4 looks and plays absolutely great. Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 1 all look great on it. Sure if you do start with the side by side comparison videos, if you go look up endless series of videos on Digital Foundry you will end up thinking it's the biggest crap out there. All wrong, it's a fine console. Game developers will tailor their new games in such a way that it still works on the standard XBox One as well.

If you have an XBox One and some spare money, sure I would recommend upgrading to the X1X soon, I'm doing the same thing as well. If you want to buy a new console right now I would only recommend the PS4 Pro or X1X as well. But the standard X1 is not dead yet. For that to happen the true next gen consoles have to be out first (PS5, XBox Two?)

I have a forza6 xbox1 bought specifically for that game.
I bought FH3 and have Forza7 on pre order and through games with gold I got Forza5 FH and PCars.

Have to say all the Forza games look amazing including the new Forza7 demo but that's to be expected coming from in house developers but I definitely did notice a difference between Pcars on the xbox1 and the same game on my PS4. Personally I thought it didn't look as good or run as well on the xbox1 as it did on my ps4.

Still undecided whether to buy an xbox1 X.....